The Note 7 Battery life Thread

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I have tmobile can you please post a pic?

I'm not currently using my S7 edge, I'm using my ZTE Axon 7 and it's different on that option, and I don't have a Note 7, but as far as I know, the Note 7 had those same options that began with the S6, S7 and Note 5. I just checked 3 of my co-workers, 1 with a Note 5 other with the S7 and the other with a S6 edge and all of them, had the same option in the same place. Settings-Battery and at the middle you will see a "Detail" button and it belongs to the App power Savings feature.

Stealthieone

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm not currently using my S7 edge, I'm using my ZTE Axon 7 and it's different on that option, and I don't have a Note 7, but as far as I know, the Note 7 had those same options that began with the S6, S7 and Note 5. I just checked 3 of my co-workers, 1 with a Note 5 other with the S7 and the other with a S6 edge and all of them, had the same option in the same place. Settings-Battery and at the middle you will see a "Detail" button and it belongs to the App power Savings feature.
Screenshot_20160901-145128.pngScreenshot_20160901-145139.pngScreenshot_20160901-145146.png

This is what i see

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site

That's a totally different menu and setting so now I'm not sure why I was told that all the Battery settings were the same. So what about that App Power monitor option? It sounds similar to what I'm used to with my previous S6 edge and Note 5 and actual S7 edge, have you tried that to see the options it gives and what it does?

If you go to Battery usage at the top, does it has more options in the menu at the top right?

Stealthieone

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
That's a totally different menu and setting so now I'm not sure why I was told that all the Battery settings were the same. So what about that App Power monitor option? It sounds similar to what I'm used to with my previous S6 edge and Note 5 and actual S7 edge, have you tried that to see the options it gives and what it does?

If you go to Battery usage at the top, does it has more options in the menu at the top right?
For the app power monitor, you just select the apps you want to put to sleep until you use them..

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
For the app power monitor, you just select the apps you want to put to sleep until you use them..

Well, then it's kind of similar, maybe that's why you can't see the one I'm saying, maybe it was replaced by this new one. But seeing that it's similar I'd activate and use that.

Steven Hadjez1

Aug 27, 2016
Visit site
Let's make a summary here.

Tell us, have you disabled Bloatware, all or just a few? You mentioned Location will be off, but did you disable Wifi and Bluetooth Scanning and Google Location service on location? What are your brightness settings? How good is your signal? Have you activated and change to Always the App Power Saving features in Battery-App power Savings-Detail? I think you mentioned that you have a dual sim device,do you have both activated at the same time? If so, have you tried using just one at a time to see if one of them is causing the issue? Can you post today's Battery stats screenshots, as much details as possible?

All the above questions are very important to know trying to find what may be causing your issue, if everything above is as expected or you have already worked on it, then you must have a rogue app, trying to see your battery stats can help.

Ok I'll give as much details as possible.

1. I used package disabler pro to disable all the bloatware. This means according to them around 95 packages. Noticed an increase in speed but not in battery.

2. I turned off all of the location services you mentioned above yesterday. Hasn't had any positive influence so far either.

3. My signal is pretty great throughout most of the day. Maybe sometimes I drive by somewhere with less signal but it should last more than 5 minutes...
Yes Im using the dual sim version, but I can't turn off one sim because I need both for work every day.

4. Luminosity is set to auto.

5. I haven't turned on any power saving mode cause I want to use my phone as fully as possible since other people manage to do it and have good battery.

6. Turned off all the automatic scanning options like you said!

Today, my results are very consistent with every other day.

Around 10 hours on battery and always less than 4 hours of SOT. It's so disappointing. I would love to hit at least 5 hours SOT. Many people here get over 6.
The last option I can think about is to reset my phone to factory and not use smart switch, but I've read mixed reviews about this. Below screenshot of my battery stats today!

Any ideas what I can do now? Thanks again for caring about my issues!!

1472764694712.jpg1472764700007.jpg1472764705247.jpg
Let's make a summary here.

Tell us, have you disabled Bloatware, all or just a few? You mentioned Location will be off, but did you disable Wifi and Bluetooth Scanning and Google Location service on location? What are your brightness settings? How good is your signal? Have you activated and change to Always the App Power Saving features in Battery-App power Savings-Detail? I think you mentioned that you have a dual sim device,do you have both activated at the same time? If so, have you tried using just one at a time to see if one of them is causing the issue? Can you post today's Battery stats screenshots, as much details as possible?

All the above questions are very important to know trying to find what may be causing your issue, if everything above is as expected or you have already worked on it, then you must have a rogue app, trying to see your battery stats can help.

Steven Hadjez1

Aug 27, 2016
Visit site
It's only 530pm and my phone just turned off. NOT OK WITH ME!!
I didn't even have location on, neither did I turn on my Bluetooth, which I will eventually need to use when I'm back home to connect my phone to my car.
Can't believe I have to charge my phone so soon in the day. Now I'm wondering if it's normal than I can't even reach 4hrs SOT, or if I'm suffering from some kind of battery drainage that I need to identify.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
I dont know if its been mentioned or if you can but if I were you Id exchange it immediately. Ive been off the charger for 10 hours and Im at 72% with 2 hours screen on time...

Ok side note. 2 days in a row my phone erases all my battery usage stats like screen on time and just shows android usage.

Edit: nm, rebooted and theyre back

809b5c2ebab041ee700625df38859f19.jpg

Stealthieone

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
I really can't figure this out... I've disabled all bloat and right now I'm at 16 hrs 25 mins and 4hrs 9 mins screen time... When i initially got a 6hr screen time.

rdcrds

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Can someone post all the bloatware they took out that did not cause a issue PLEASE i really would be happy as i disable a few at a time and this would help a whole lot if someone would. Thanks.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Ok I'll give as much details as possible.

1. I used package disabler pro to disable all the bloatware. This means according to them around 95 packages. Noticed an increase in speed but not in battery.

2. I turned off all of the location services you mentioned above yesterday. Hasn't had any positive influence so far either.

3. My signal is pretty great throughout most of the day. Maybe sometimes I drive by somewhere with less signal but it should last more than 5 minutes...
Yes Im using the dual sim version, but I can't turn off one sim because I need both for work every day.

4. Luminosity is set to auto.

5. I haven't turned on any power saving mode cause I want to use my phone as fully as possible since other people manage to do it and have good battery.

6. Turned off all the automatic scanning options like you said!

Today, my results are very consistent with every other day.

About your brightness, it's in Auto but what percentage?

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
It's only 530pm and my phone just turned off. NOT OK WITH ME!!
I didn't even have location on, neither did I turn on my Bluetooth, which I will eventually need to use when I'm back home to connect my phone to my car.
Can't believe I have to charge my phone so soon in the day. Now I'm wondering if it's normal than I can't even reach 4hrs SOT, or if I'm suffering from some kind of battery drainage that I need to identify.

Besides what I've told you and you've already done, brightness may affect, you should leave it in auto but not recommended in auto plus full brightness because that's the combo that triggers the most nits (over 1040) on the phone and that's Battery killer by itself. I'm used to not having brightness too high but with Auto I'd say to leave it at about 50%, it will be more than enough to basically all situations.

Last resort, clear apps cache in Systems - Storage and wipe cache partition in Recovery mode before a full system restore, preferably in Recovery mode also.

canonBoy

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
So this is the FIRST time I've been able to go two days without charging! Granted,these past two days haven't been the most heavy usage, just normal usage, but it includes streaming two 45 minute Late Show with Stephen Colbert episodes while driving home from work (mobile signal).

I really like the Doze in Marshmallow. Except for my 3rd party alarm clock app that hasn't gone off the past two days... I think I've got the battery optimizing for the app off now, so hopefully no more being late for work!

Steven Hadjez1

Aug 27, 2016
Visit site
Besides what I've told you and you've already done, brightness may affect, you should leave it in auto but not recommended in auto plus full brightness because that's the combo that triggers the most nits (over 1040) on the phone and that's Battery killer by itself. I'm used to not having brightness too high but with Auto I'd say to leave it at about 50%, it will be more than enough to basically all situations.

Last resort, clear apps cache in Systems - Storage and wipe cache partition in Recovery mode before a full system restore, preferably in Recovery mode also.
Thanks for your advice erasat. I thought that auto brightness made the brightness vary according to the lighting. I must say I like to keep my brightness pretty high though because that's how I enjoy the most my screen and I don't think that's something I would be willing to sacrifice for battery. I've attached a screenshot of my brightness bar now for example and it's nightime in miami so I'm assuming in the day it might be near 100.

Regarding the wiping the cache thing, unfortunately you're speaking Chinese to me right now! But I will definitely Google it and see what I can do. Thanks for the tip man.

If I was to start from scratch though, is it just the apps I cant restore with smarts witch? Or not even the notes and contacts and pictures?!!!

8c6c1e9c8d13f362061792f899dc2b32.jpg

rdcrds

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Can someone post all the bloatware they took out that did not cause a issue PLEASE It really would help many people. If you remove them al in the package disabler issues happen so really would help if you would just post the ones you removed.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your advice erasat. I thought that auto brightness made the brightness vary according to the lighting. I must say I like to keep my brightness pretty high though because that's how I enjoy the most my screen and I don't think that's something I would be willing to sacrifice for battery. I've attached a screenshot of my brightness bar now for example and it's nightime in miami so I'm assuming in the day it might be near 100.

Regarding the wiping the cache thing, unfortunately you're speaking Chinese to me right now! But I will definitely Google it and see what I can do. Thanks for the tip man.

If I was to start from scratch though, is it just the apps I cant restore with smarts witch? Or not even the notes and contacts and pictures?!!!

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160902/8c6c1e9c8d13f362061792f899dc2b32.jpg

Keep your brightness where you feel comfortable, no need to to sacrifice your needs, but I can tell you, brightness is something that takes just some time to adjust to, I live in Puerto Rico so I know about Miami weather and the needs for people like us, but do this, day by day, lower your brightness about 10% each day and give your eyes some time to get used to it, I assure you that from about 75% like you have it now, you'll be in around 50% and already used to that. But again, if you honestly can't deal with lower than that, then do whatever is best for you.

About the other topic, do a Full Backup including apps data with Smart Switch for PC or Mac, so you have that done, then try clearing apps cache and then turn off your phone and press and hold Home - volume up-power buttons until you see some message on screen, once it finishes you'll be on the Recovery Menu, in there, you browse using the volume buttons and select using the power button.

In the try the Wipe Cache Data and reboot, try to see if it helps, if not, go back to the Recovery menu and do the Full system restore.

Last edited:

Kevin Demers

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Anyone up for doing some kind of repeatable test? I'm trying to compare my Battery Life to reviews as I feel I've gotten a Lemon. I saw one review quote 8-9 % battery life Streaming Netflix, but I lose closer to ~15% for an hour of Netflix on WiFi, with brightness at just a bit under 50%. This seems pretty different to me.

If anyone gets bored and wants to do a test: Pick an episode of something on Netflix (Or maybe a youtube video) - and try to leave it playing for like an hour. Preferably on WiFi. Note your brightness and battery usage before/after. Everything I can find would seem to say that 15% an hour is not the expected.

Last edited:

Stealthieone

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if anyone has a scale for expected battery life... Like right now I've been on my battery for 4 hrs, 1.25 screen on time and I'm at 79% battery... To me that seens kinda low.. Am i expecting too much?

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante