n my old notes I was given a choice to set a default app or not. For

example if I open a spreadsheet I could choose Excel OR Docs to go each time. i want no default. I prefer to do some things in one app and some in the other. I also have several browsers. Some set to desktop some set with no java some set as ad blocker. which I use depends on whether I trust the website. Anyway note 7 forced me to pick a default. I don't want to clear defaults every single day. I s there a way so whatever app you choose to open a file does not automatically become the default?

Thanks!
    08-21-2016 08:15 AM
    n my old notes I was given a choice to set a default app or not. For

example if I open a spreadsheet I could choose Excel OR Docs to go each time. i want no default. I prefer to do some things in one app and some in the other. I also have several browsers. Some set to desktop some set with no java some set as ad blocker. which I use depends on whether I trust the website. Anyway note 7 forced me to pick a default. I don't want to clear defaults every single day. I s there a way so whatever app you choose to open a file does not automatically become the default?

Thanks!
    Settings>Apps>>default apps>default app selection and change
    recDNA and Connert like this.
    08-21-2016 08:22 AM
    Settings>Apps>>default apps>default app selection and change
    Thanks! very kind of you to take thr time. Any way to prevent them becoming default the very next time I use one?
    08-21-2016 08:24 AM
    Thanks! very kind of you to take thr time. Any way to prevent them becoming default the very next time I use one?
    Yw! You then have the option to select just once instead of default
    08-21-2016 08:25 AM
    weird. it didn't give me that choice the first time
    08-21-2016 08:30 AM
    Yw! You then have the option to select just once instead of default
    I still don't get the just once choice. After clearing defaults it has gone back to automatically assigning defaults. Is there a setting to prevent this?
    08-23-2016 09:12 AM
    I still don't get the just once choice. After clearing defaults it has gone back to automatically assigning defaults. Is there a setting to prevent this?
    No, this has been standard on Samsung galaxy devices from s7 or note 5.

You can use "better open with" from the play store to give you a somewhat similar functionality to "just once"
    08-23-2016 09:33 AM
    better open with - ok I'll try it. Thanks. You skip a few generations and you miss a lot of stuff like this that nobody really talks about. People in Note 5 forum would sometimes wonder why I followed it when I have a Note 3. This was why. But I missed this change anyway. Duh.
    Thanks again.
    08-23-2016 09:37 AM
    i am having the same problem with setting poweramp as my default ... even "better open with" didn't work ... it selected it in that application, but when i tried to open music file, it still wasn't listed as an option ... btw: i have fully-pd version ... i hate not being able to make my own choices ... i when force stopped the other music players...
    09-16-2016 11:27 AM
    Thanks for posting that. This drove me nuts, too.
    09-16-2016 11:55 AM
    This was changed with the newer version of Android on Samsung phones. It locks the default in after you tell it one time and you have to reset to set another one. The "Just once" or "Always" option seems to have been removed by them.
    09-16-2016 12:09 PM
    You can change it in the settings under applications
    09-16-2016 12:26 PM
    Change this to ask setting default apps. Took me a while to find this one too.
    Attached Thumbnails choose my OWN default apps-323.jpg  
    09-16-2016 12:28 PM