Wifi Signal Strength is low on Note 7???

double923

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I just picked up the ATT Note 7 yesterday. I have Note 5 and multiple other mobile devices connect to the same wifi network as Note 7. I am noticing that the Note 7 wifi signal strength seems very low. I am getting around 200-300mbps while the rest of other devices are getting 700mbs+. All devices are connecting to the very same router and using 5ghz AC band. Does anyone notice it? I just want to make sure I am not getting a unit with HW issue.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I have not noticed an issue with wifi except when there is an xfinity hotspot. I can't seem to lock in as well as I used to in some places.

I've noticed my cell signal is better. I'm definitely happy about that.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I use 5 GHz. It works fine in my house. Although 5 GHz won't ever have as good of range as 2.4 GHz.

Below is 5 GHz in my house.

79256b2de3608a6982820504d97bd31c.jpg

robber

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site
Screw 5ghz. I am getting very good range on the 2.4ghz band. I was hanging out by a fire pit Saturday night and must have been 500ft from the ap and while speed was slow it was also stable. In regular use, I am not having any issues.

masterq1104

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Hi double923, this people don't understand your question because they are not technically savy, you mean the wifi link speed, not really the speed that they getting trough wifi, i got the same issues, my router is in 5ghz channel 153, is an AC router, phone only gets 340 mbps in the link speed, it should be the same with the note 5, where i can get 866mbps in the same network and 223mbps down/17 up, so this issues should be resolved with a software update, even wifi calling is not enable at launch, i am with sprint pcs

double923

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi double923, this people don't understand your question because they are not technically savy, you mean the wifi link speed, not really the speed that they getting trough wifi, i got the same issues, my router is in 5ghz channel 153, is an AC router, phone only gets 340 mbps in the link speed, it should be the same with the note 5, where i can get 866mbps in the same network and 223mbps down/17 up, so this issues should be resolved with a software update, even wifi calling is not enable at launch, i am with sprint pcs

@masterq1104, Thank you for making that clear. Yes, that is exactly what I was asking. Perhaps, I should say wifi link speed stead. Also thank you for confirming that you and perhaps everyone else are seeing the same link-speed issue that I am seeing. Again, I just want to make sure that my Note 7 is not a defective unit. Yes, I am hoping this will get resolve with sw update.

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
WiFi seems OK for me, but the LTE signal is dramatically different from my Z Force. We have an LTE Network Extender from Verizon. (Basically like having a cell tower in your house.) Z Force is currently at -69 db and the Note 7 at -87 db. Literally resting right next to one another.

1 brentanthony33

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site
@masterq1104, Thank you for making that clear. Yes, that is exactly what I was asking. Perhaps, I should say wifi link speed stead. Also thank you for confirming that you and perhaps everyone else are seeing the same link-speed issue that I am seeing. Again, I just want to make sure that my Note 7 is not a defective unit. Yes, I am hoping this will get resolve with sw update.
So I have been trying to find other people with a similar issue. I work for an ISP and constantly do speed tests on my phone. When I had my Sprint Note 5, all my speed tests were 100% accurate of what I should get but with my Note7... I get about half everytime. For example on a 75mbps test, we actually give 90 which my note 5 would get but my note 7 is lucky to get 40. It's pretty aggravating especially with this whole battery recall but i hope it is an issue that can resolved with a firmware update.

masterq1104

May 28, 2012
Visit site
it sounds like the phone instead of wireless ac , has wireless N chip, i only get 433 mbps in wireless AC and that's not normal, i get in other devices 866 mbps in the same network

djarchow

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
The WiFi reception on my Note 7 is noticeably worse than my Note 2 or my Lumia Icon; Both of them show full signal strength in our upstairs bedroom. My note has to be right in the doorway to get any signal. I have a Netgear nighhawk router and I could still pick up our WiFi i signal with my old phone almost a block away. My Note 7 barely gets a signal in our driveway.

On the other hand, the Bluetooth reception in my note 7 is almost too good. The Bluetooth in my car stays on for 10 minutes after I exit the car. If I forget to turn off the Bluetooth on the phone, my phone is still connected to the car and the car will answer almost anywhere in our house.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
First.. Let's not insult people. Just because they didn't understand how something was explained doesn't mean they're instantly not trying to be helpful or are "not tech savvy". No need for tossing that around :).

Second.. Let's see how others Link Speed displays when checking info. My 5ghz is having issues (it's the router) right now with the radio. Been tinkering to fix it. Once fixed I'll check what mine shows.

Third.. As for wifi calling you should have it now. Sprint enabled it through an update recently. It was only Sprint variants with this issue. The others have had wifi calling since launch.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy