Bought The Note 7 After Being A Loyal iPhone User For Years... Here Are My Thoughts

Infamousx14

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
Switched from iPhone to Note 7, need some help

This phone is amazing. Sooooo many things to do. I spent 2 hours and I still have no idea what I'm doing lol

Can you guys give me some suggestions for first time Android users.

Few questions;

1. Whats app those of you gmail users use? Gmail or Email?
2. How can I lock the screen so it doesn't change when I tilt it?
3. How do I view multiple apps at the same time?

Last edited:

petersenjp

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
re: Switched from iPhone to Note 7, need some help

Been doing the same dance off and on for about 5 years. iOS to android back to iOS and now.... Back to heading back to android.

ShiftTab

Aug 10, 2016
Visit site

I'm on the same boat. First I deregistered iMessages and now am in the process of completing Samsung Smart Switch.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

This phone is amazing. Sooooo many things to do. I spent 2 hours and I still have no idea what I'm doing lol

Few questions;

2. How can I lock the screen so it doesn't change when I tilt it?
3. How do I view multiple apps at the same time?

1. Gmail is great
2. Drop down notification settings, and un-select "Auto Rotate"
3. I never use that feature, so i can't remember.

crystinonfire

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site

Few questions;

I'm a gmail user who uses Cloud Magic instead of the gmail or native email apps.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site

I'm a gmail user who uses Cloud Magic instead of the gmail or native email apps.

I use CloudMagic as well. Love it! Been using since I had my M8. It works well with my @me address. That's why I didn't try Samsung's email app. I didn't feel like messing with configuring it manually.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

For Gmail, you may want to check out Inbox. It is by Google, and is a little different take on how to use email. I love it on my mobile,and I am still getting used to it on the desktop.

dohlo

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
This! The very reason using an iPhone frustrates me. I don't understand the lack of a back button.
All of my hardcore android friends always brought this up whenever we debated phones before I ever got an android, and even after I finally converted I still don't see why this is such a big deal to people, lol. I feel like pretty much everything on ios was just swipe to go back so not having a dedicated button never was a big deal to me. Then again, all my ios devices were always jailbroke and I had nifty little tweaks the vast majority of users didn't have.

Now, one thing that my iPad mini has that I ALWAYS wish my android phones have- swipe to go back on Google Chrome. Honestly, it frustrates the hell out of me. I prefer being able to just swipe right to go to a previous web page, it was so native to me for years. But then again, I don't even recall if this is native to Google Chrome in ios or if if was a jailbreak tweak I enabled years ago :)

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
All of my hardcore android friends always brought this up whenever we debated phones before I ever got an android, and even after I finally converted I still don't see why this is such a big deal to people, lol. I feel like pretty much everything on ios was just swipe to go back so not having a dedicated button never was a big deal to me. Then again, all my ios devices were always jailbroke and I had nifty little tweaks the vast majority of users didn't have.

Now, one thing that my iPad mini has that I ALWAYS wish my android phones have- swipe to go back on Google Chrome. Honestly, it frustrates the hell out of me. I prefer being able to just swipe right to go to a previous web page, it was so native to me for years. But then again, I don't even recall if this is native to Google Chrome in ios or if if was a jailbreak tweak I enabled years ago :)

I miss the swipe to go back feature from iOS.

calicocat2010

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
I would rather experience the fraction of a second pop to get the next app open than the screen doing it's fancy pants animations masking the fact that it is lagging by showing you a little show. It also gets tiring after a while.

You can disable all the animation happening in the settings.....

Hmm update.....

Was this animation removed from the Note 5? I swear I know there was animation, but I just can't find it. I know it was on my Note 3.

Last edited:

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Re: Observations from a long-time iPhone user

Welcome again to Android. I love it's freedom. Can do so much more. And love this phone. I have had all the Notes. This one is the best. Can't put it down

Posted via the Android Central App

moc426

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I just switched from windows and I am having trouble with email. The samsung email app seems okay but I am not sure if emails are really coming in as push email. I have gmail and outlook account setup. I installed microsoft outlook app but it doesn't show any emails when I load it, it shows calendar fine but nothing in the email tab. So I am not sure which app to really use, I would like to use the outlook app for outlook and can use gmail app for gmail and skip the samsung email app if the outlook app would work. Also I set outlook to sync contacts but it doesn't seem like it has, maybe needs more time.

Appreciate any suggestions as to what email apps work best for outlook and syncing contacts/calendar.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I just want to take a moment to say welcome to all the newer members in this thread. Welcome to Android Central and I hope you enjoy your new device. Samsung has a really good Note this time around.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

mrwallyy

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
This Stuff Gets to Me (Note 7 vs iPhone 6s)

I hate how Samsung boasts its (gimmicky) features and crap that the average Joe won't use, then someone comes up with this video:

Grinds my gears.

Brusky63

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
I ordered from Samsung on pre-order day. After 5 different stories as to when the phone will ship I cancel the order today. I was switching over from an iPhone 6S but looks like I am rethinking this decision. I hope it works out for everyone and I will be following this forum to see if I can be persuaded to make the switch.

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Re: This Stuff Gets to Me (Note 7 vs iPhone 6s)

Who really cares that the iPhone is faster. I own it for the S-Pen and the significantly better screen.

Also, name me gimmicky features that no one uses? Maybe I will grant you the Iris scanner, but thats it. YOU may not use certain things, but that doesn't have them lose value in the platform.

edit... and I'll take the android software experience over the iPhone one every day. Each to their own, but iOS is getting old. Starting to be the equivalent of windows XP.

donebrasko

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Re: This Stuff Gets to Me (Note 7 vs iPhone 6s)

Put switch operating systems and you will have the same result. There are things that Apple still can't do

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie