Is it me or Android apps are not as good as iOS?

jjj651

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
I just moved over from an iPhone 6 Plus and noticed that apps are not as well designed on Android. For example MLB at bat on Android is definitely not designed to the same standards as iOS. The android version is also not as fluid. Also it seems like some apps that had fingerprint log in on iOS don't offer the same on Android.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'd have to disagree. I've used both (still do via the iPad) and apps work very similar on each platform.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I just moved over from an iPhone 6 Plus and noticed that apps are not as well designed on Android. For example MLB at bat on Android is definitely not designed to the same standards as iOS. The android version is also not as fluid. Also it seems like some apps that had fingerprint log in on iOS don't offer the same on Android.
It's going to vary from app to app. There are some apps that are definitely better on iOS and others that are better on Android because they take advantage of the openness. Then there are others that look pretty much the same on both.

Inevitable Flux

Jul 5, 2016
Visit site
It's not just you. I'll readily admit that many of the apps I use aren't as smooth nor as functional (feature wise) on Android as they are on iOS. That said, the sPen (and freedom of Android in general) has become such a mainstay in my life over the years that any lack of smoothness in ecosystem/apps is well worth the trade off.
I prefer having the best of both worlds -- in my opinion, iOS is by far the better route to go for tablets and "personal" time; but because I need a high level of productivity during the "work" day, the Note line is by far the better choice.

sean8102

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
A few years ago I would have def agreed for the large part. Lately though it seems about the same for the most part in my experience. My GF has a Ipad that I mess with sometimes and I rarely notice a dif in apps.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It's not just you... Everything is always laggy and not as high quality as iOS it's just a fact

I would have to disagree. Going from the iPad Air 2 to my Note 7 (or previous phones) I never noticed a difference except for layouts. Maybe it is the apps I use versus you? Not sure.

left4dead

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Having used both iOS and Android - the OP is definitely correct. The majority of the apps run, look and perform better on iOS compared to Android.

sean8102

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I'd be curious to know any specific apps people notice a big difference in and what device you are using them on.

The one area where iOS dose still have a advantage software wise I think is games. Mainly the fact they have had the metal API for a while now. The S7/Note7 family has Vulkan, but I doubt we will see many devs use it till Nougat starts rolling out since it will be baked into the OS at that point.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
For iOS, there's only a few different hardware platforms to program to and the software on them are all about the same.

With Android, there's a myriad of different hardware and software platforms, each with their own quirks. Having those options can be great for consumers that don't want to be "locked in" to one or two devices. For programmers, I can imagine it being a relative nightmare to code for Android and trying to make it smooth on every device out there.

Squeeze Play

May 18, 2011
Visit site

That's the app that always gets me as well. Not quite as feature-packed.

Inevitable Flux

Jul 5, 2016
Visit site
Specific apps for me include OneNote (Microsoft), any BigFish games, Tivo App, NBC Sports, Khan Academy (either features are missing entirely or its not as streamlined/smooth).

Then there's a couple apps on iOS that aren't even available on Android that I use regularly - Pigment coloring app for one, PDF Expert for another (though there are similar apps to this, I haven't found one on android that works as well as PDF Expert does on iOS).

RadeonHD4250

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
The only major app that I've noticed any substantial lag on (vs iOS) is Pokémon GO.

Everything else pretty much runs smooth on either platform.

jj2339

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Fitbit and my fitness pal are better on iOS than Android. I like how Tapatalk and Facebook operate on iOS better to.

I liked how Fidelity let's you use fingerprint sensor for login whereas on Android you have to type it in. There are a few games I liked better on my iPhone, like capitals, which isn't available on Android yet.

I don't regret coming back to Android, I love this phone, but the app differences don't favor Android.