Is your camera module made by Sony or Samsung?

Hoggles

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone...

This purely for the nerds of us who care about this kind of stuff :)

As you may or may not remember, the S7 series has camera modules manufactured by by both Samsung and Sony. And there seemed to be no rhyme or reason which ones had which. My S7e had a Samsung rear camera and a Sony front shooter. Some had the exact opposite and some had both Sony, both Sammy etc.

Of course this is common practice for a company to outsource different components to meet demands. And although they are identical in spec...sometimes there is a very slight difference, as is the case with the S7's. Both amazing and nearly identical...but threads on XDA showed color and even field of view was just ever so slightly different.

Just out of curiosity, I downloaded the trusty system info app, AIDA64 from the Play Store. I have a Sony manufactured rear camera and looks like a Sammy front module. You'll find them under "devices". It'll ask for camera permissions, but that just to access hardware data.

Curious what you all are showing in yours?

Cheers :)
Screenshot_20160821-190504.jpg

Snappy Phoenix

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
Hi everyone...

As you may or may not remember, the S7 series has camera modules manufactured by by both Samsung and Sony. And there seemed to be no rhyme or reason which ones had which. My S7e had a Samsung rear camera and a Sony front shooter. Some had the exact opposite and some had both Sony, both Sammy etc.

Of course this is common practice for a company to outsource different components to meet demands. And although they are identical in spec...sometimes there is a very slight difference, as is the case with the S7's. Both amazing and nearly identical...but threads on XDA showed color and even field of view was just ever so slightly different.

Just out of curiosity, I downloaded the trusty system info app, AIDA64 from the Play Store. I have a Sony manufactured rear camera and looks like a Sammy front module. You'll find them under "devices". It'll ask for camera permissions, but that just to access hardware data.

View attachment 236548

Mine is also Sony but the model is slightly different? Mine is the international Note 7

Hoggles

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Oh that's interesting. Don't think I remember there being two versions of the Sony module with the S7.

Thanks for checking! :)

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
ff9f50d41fa81fe5a59730497b609999.jpg

zxphenomenalxz

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone...

View attachment 236548

Which one is the better one to have for the camera ?

Posted via the Android Central App

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Sony here. Mine is the exact same setup as yours. We both have T-Mo devices shipped at the same time, so that makes sense.

Tarah Sorber

Trusted Member
Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Hi everyone...

View attachment 236548

Mine is the same as yours Sony rear, Samsung front.

Hoggles

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Which one is the better one to have for the camera ?

Posted via the Android Central App

As far as I remember from the S7's... Peeps on XDA were leaning toward the Sony module... But that is very very subjective. I seem to recall there was just an ever so slight difference in color temperature and also field of view. And I mean very slight (as they're supposed to be identical).... With some people saying they like the Sammy module better. Uber subjective to say the least. And more than anything, it's just fun to know what's in your N7 :)

So far it looks like it's all Sony rear sensors for us here, though a few on XDA have reported Sammy rear sensors.