08-25-2016 11:02 PM
88 1234
tools
    And I want a 16:9 ratio.
    I would think the Note 7 has 16:9 ratio somewhere in the settings.
    16:9 would be 9mp same as S7
    08-23-2016 11:25 AM
    My wife had a G4...and took a TON of pics that worked their way into any number of albums that she printed via Shuterfly... and in the process she lopped up all those margins since 16x9 isn't really a format that is used by anything in still photography, where it's mostly 4:3, 3:2 or 1:1.

Besides, I've found that there is a fair amount of image distortion due to diffraction on those margins.

Now, in terms of the post-processing.. yes, I've found that my wife's S7 can be pretty heavy handed when it comes to what happens AFTER the pic is taken. The pics look at ton better the smaller you display them since the sharpening and processing sort of tricks the eye into thinking there is finer detail. But I've been told that the Note 7 has a lot less processing now... not having one myself, I can't attest to that.

We should see plenty of in-depth camera comparisons soon enough.
    08-23-2016 11:35 AM
    Take the time to read the part about cropping. A 12 MP 4:3 and 16 MP 16:9 are showing the exact same amount of detail, except for part of the edge that is cropped off.
    I don't want 4:3 images. I want pictures that fill screens.

I would think the Note 7 has 16:9 ratio somewhere in the settings.
    16:9 would be 9mp same as S7
    16:9 on the Note 5 is 16 megapixels. Huge difference.
    08-23-2016 11:37 AM
    I don't want 4:3 images. I want pictures that fill screens.

16:9 on the Note 5 is 16 megapixels. Huge difference.
    I am no camera expert but I do trust known sources and they say the S7 / S7 Edge (same camera as the Note 7) is pretty top notch over the Note 5. Unless you're like .. blowing those photos up the MP won't make that big of a difference.
    08-23-2016 11:39 AM
    I am no camera expert but I do trust known sources and they say the S7 / S7 Edge (same camera as the Note 7) is pretty top notch over the Note 5. Unless you're like .. blowing those photos up the MP won't make that big of a difference.
    There was literally no valid reason for Samsung to drop down to 12 megapixels. The Note 5 can already take 12 megapixels images if you want. My phone's screen is a 16:9 ratio. My TV screen is a 16:9 ratio. Most computer monitors these days are at a 16:9 ratio. Why would I want to take pictures in a 4:3 ratio? I want as many megapixels as I can get because screens are getting higher and higher in resolution. An 8 megapixel image is going to look tiny when we start using screen resolutions above 4k.
    08-23-2016 11:59 AM
    There was literally no valid reason for Samsung to drop down to 12 megapixels. The Note 5 can already take 12 megapixels images if you want. My phone's screen is a 16:9 ratio. My TV screen is a 16:9 ratio. Most computer monitors these days are at a 16:9 ratio. Why would I want to take pictures in a 4:3 ratio? I want as many megapixels as I can get because screens are getting higher and higher in resolution. An 8 megapixel image is going to look tiny when we start using screen resolutions above 4k.
    Hence why I said -- "if you blow these photos up". As in blow them up on a TV or something .
    libra89 likes this.
    08-23-2016 12:07 PM
    Myself, I always take pics in the16:9 ratio because if I take a quick pic of something, I get more of the subject in my shot. It's easy to crop a 16:9 to a 4:3.
    I like the 16:9 because they fill up the TV and laptop screens.
    08-23-2016 12:21 PM
    There was literally no valid reason for Samsung to drop down to 12 megapixels.
    The differences is far more than just a resolution change. While there are fewer overall pixels, the Note 7's sensor is actually a fair bit larger. Here is a quick gfx showing the difference in physical size between the Note 7's sensor (blue) and the Note 5's sensor (red). This is a simplistic view as it ignores the other specs (lens size, aperture, focal length, etc), but there's more in play here than just a few pixels.

Why go to 12? A combination of factors.... The Dual Pixel tech required a certain pixel pitch size (in this case 1.4 microns), so that, in turn, sets the overall scale of the sensor. Then it was a matter of choosing the rest of the optics for the camera then putting it all together in a package that meets the phone's overall size needs. Why did they go to 12MP? Because they had to go that route in order for the camera to fit where it fit. Had they gone to a larger sensor size, whether it was 4:3 or 16:9 (which the industry is moving away from by the way), the camera module would have had to have been MUCH larger... something they wanted to avoid, obviously.

I have a Note 5, Should I upgrade?-12v16.png
    pkcable likes this.
    08-23-2016 02:55 PM
    The differences is far more than just a resolution change. While there are fewer overall pixels, the Note 7's sensor is actually a fair bit larger. Here is a quick gfx showing the difference in physical size between the Note 7's sensor (blue) and the Note 5's sensor (red). This is a simplistic view as it ignores the other specs (lens size, aperture, focal length, etc), but there's more in play here than just a few pixels.

Why go to 12? A combination of factors.... The Dual Pixel tech required a certain pixel pitch size (in this case 1.4 microns), so that, in turn, sets the overall scale of the sensor. Then it was a matter of choosing the rest of the optics for the camera then putting it all together in a package that meets the phone's overall size needs. Why did they go to 12MP? Because they had to go that route in order for the camera to fit where it fit. Had they gone to a larger sensor size, whether it was 4:3 or 16:9 (which the industry is moving away from by the way), the camera module would have had to have been MUCH larger... something they wanted to avoid, obviously.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12v16.png 
Views:	56 
Size:	2.1 KB 
ID:	236819
    The LG G5 proves that dropping down to 12 megapixels isn't necessary. That camera is as good or better overall than the Samsung cameras so far.
    08-23-2016 03:46 PM
    The LG G5 proves that dropping down to 12 megapixels isn't necessary. That camera is as good or better overall than the Samsung cameras so far.
    Source?
    08-23-2016 04:10 PM
    And the HTC 10, a 12MP camera, is considered by many to take better overall photos across different conditions than either the G5 or S7.... The number of pixels a camera has is only one of many facets of how good a camera functions. Don't get hung up on the number.
    Almeuit likes this.
    08-23-2016 04:12 PM
    Both the no reason to drop size and g5 being better are literally false. Let's try a different way.
    08-23-2016 04:19 PM
    08-23-2016 05:05 PM
    And the HTC 10, a 12MP camera, is considered by many to take better overall photos across different conditions than either the G5 or S7.... The number of pixels a camera has is only one of many facets of how good a camera functions. Don't get hung up on the number.
    Not according to comparisons. I'm not hung up on a number.
    08-23-2016 05:07 PM
    But my bill is still only $110 per month for two phones.
    Also I do know what money Verizon gets from me. They don't get it from me without me knowing it.
    Your bill will stay the same even with monthly payment on the phone because your cost per line will be cut in half. See, VZ makes you feel you are getting a good deal with 2 year contract but you are actually paying double the fee per line access. It's all a scam. Actually, it's a much better deal to do monthly payments because that way you can upgrade every year.
    08-23-2016 06:55 PM
    Your bill will stay the same even with monthly payment on the phone because your cost per line will be cut in half. See, VZ makes you feel you are getting a good deal with 2 year contract but you are actually paying double the fee per line access. It's all a scam. Actually, it's a much better deal to do monthly payments because that way you can upgrade every year.
    If you don't care about upgrading every year, it's a worse deal though.
    08-23-2016 07:07 PM
    I think the difference is like $20 or so. So yes I'll give you that
    08-23-2016 07:40 PM
    Seems like I just got the Note 5, not sure if I should upgrade to a Note 7. It is very dreamy to me, I love it. Although, I'd trade up in a second...it really is not in my budget. I was thinking of getting the S7 Edge? Any suggestions?
    Had a N5. Loved it. Gave it to my daughter. Now she loves it!
    The N7 is a nice and welcomed upgrade, IMO.
    08-23-2016 07:52 PM
    I would be paying double per line but I would be paying $349 for the phone instead of $864 for the phone with the payment plan. That's where it equals out.
    I would pay cash in the amount of $349 and pay $40 per month access fee for 2 years. That is a total of $1309. My total price on the phone would be $829.
    If I bought the phone on payment, the price is $864. and if I activated with Verizon, I would be charged $20 per month access fee for 2 years. That is a total of $1344. I am am saving $35.

If I did not get a new phone and sign a new contract every 2 years, I would still be charged the $40 access charge instead of the $20.
    In that situation, you are correct that I would be getting the shaft paying $40 per month and still using my old phone. That is why I get a new phone every 2 years.

If you buy a phone on payment, you pay retail price.
    That would be $864 (36 × 24 ) plus $20 access fee × 12 = $1104
    In two years that would be $1344 ($20 × 24 + $864)

$1344 - $1309 = $35. You would be paying an extra $35 for the privilege of being able to get a new phone every year, which is a decent deal.

On the payment plan you are still locked into 2 years unless you want to pay the remaining balance.
    The benefit is having no contract and the freedom to go to another carrier.
    It's all about the same either way.
    08-23-2016 08:16 PM
    I have a Note 5 and I'm upgrading to the 7. I love the edge features, water resistance, SD card slot, and software enhancements. I get every new Note that is released.
    Have fun buddy. I just picked up the Note today. My iPhone 6S Plus is up for sale tomorrow. Good to see you again
    08-23-2016 08:48 PM
    Why do responders on this post make it sound like you have to put $900 on the table to get a Note 7?

There's other options, like device payment plan, upgrade a 2 year plan depending on carrier, organ harvest?

I guarantee not everyone throws $900 on the table every time a phone comes out. Some throw kidneys.

Posted from the N7 Dolphin Tears™ on Big Red
    Not to get in a finance argument, but unless you have JOD with tmobile you are paying a grand for the phone. No matter how they spin it. It's sales 101. They get you on a smaller price. Oh how about this s7 for $24 a month. Oh but for only $9 more a month you can have the best. Either way it's an expensive device and going to cost near $1,000. Whether or not it's worth it is different for everyone.
    ladyc0524 likes this.
    08-23-2016 09:04 PM
    I think the difference is like $20 or so. So yes I'll give you that
    Last I saw it was $85
    08-23-2016 09:09 PM
    I edited my prior post to clarify a few things.
    Either way we are still paying a hefty price for a phone.
    08-23-2016 09:12 PM
    You don't understand how carrier contracts work then. You are dreaming if these companies give you anything for free.

VZ as an example.
    If you buy the phone on payments, your line is $20 a month.
    If you buy the phone on contract ($350), your line is $40 a month. Do the math, they are getting their money back without you knowing. Sorry budd.

Of course they are getting our money. The point that you responded to is one many forget, including tech blogs and technical folks in forums likes these. The point being: Most people DO NOT pay full price out of pocket for their phone. They don't, full stop.

Many folks here do. Many in the tech blog community do, including the writers. But most general users go into their carrier (in the US) after their contract is up - or more recently - their device payment plan is up, and select a new phone and pay a discounted price for it, or pay monthly payments. That is what the vast majority of US phone users do. They don't pay full price.

When one argues value as it relates to price, most people are quoting the $900 you'd have to put out, as if most people would have to put that down tomorrow to get the phone. The point is most of the general public doesn't buy phones that way in the US. As such, it is much easier to justify a $35 / month increase than it may be to justify $900 spent tomorrow. The problem is writers do not seem to realize this or care about this and the fail to qualify their value statements regarding that price. And yes, we know (and it is obvious) that the carriers are getting their money over the long run anyway.
    TJA3500 likes this.
    08-23-2016 09:14 PM
    Of course they are getting our money. The point that you responded to is one many forget, including tech blogs and technical folks in forums likes these. The point being: Most people DO NOT pay full price out of pocket for their phone. They don't, full stop.

Many folks here do. Many in the tech blog community do, including the writers. But most general users go into their carrier (in the US) after their contract is up - or more recently - their device payment plan is up, and select a new phone and pay a discounted price for it, or pay monthly payments. That is what the vast majority of US phone users do. They don't pay full price.

When one argues value as it relates to price, most people are quoting the $900 you'd have to put out, as if most people would have to put that down tomorrow to get the phone. The point is most of the general public doesn't buy phones that way in the US. As such, it is much easier to justify a $35 / month increase than it may be to justify $900 spent tomorrow. The problem is writers do not seem to realize this or care about this and the fail to qualify their value statements regarding that price. And yes, we know (and it is obvious) that the carriers are getting their money over the long run anyway.
    For me personally though, it is still $900. Doesn't matter if I'm paying it all at once or in chunks. People who choose to look at "just" monthly payments are not being smart about their Financials. Oh wait, yes, we live in the USA the land of credit cards and monthly payments. Sad, if you ask me.
    jdfry15 likes this.
    08-23-2016 09:28 PM
88 1234