I have a Note 5, Should I upgrade?

Tom Six

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Seems like I just got the Note 5, not sure if I should upgrade to a Note 7. It is very dreamy to me, I love it. Although, I'd trade up in a second...it really is not in my budget. I was thinking of getting the S7 Edge? Any suggestions?

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
If you have $900 to throw away like everyone else seem to be doing, then more power to you. Go for it :)

I'm staying with Note 5 for now. Just too expensive to justify the upgrade. Note 5 still one great device.

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I think it would be a good upgrade. But you should do what your budget allows for.

The S7E is a good phone. A bit smaller and lack of the spen.

Posted via the Android Central App

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I sold my iPhone 6s plus and went back to the note 5 while waiting for my pre order. The note 5 is a great device and if I had the 64gb version it would be hard to justify the upgrade but I was starting to get low on storage. It's faster and batter last longer and there are some great new features but if financial reasons make you doubt it then it's not worth it.

PRGDR

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
The Note 7 seems to be a great machine, but from what I have read (I do not have the note 7... yet...), not as good as to justify the huge price.

If you do not have the cash for it, I would recommend you to skip this generation and keep the Note 5 (the Note 5 is still and excellent device, I see no compelling reason to go for the S7 Edge either).

RadeonHD4250

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
Like others have said, if you have the money to throw away, why ask? Well.

Otherwise, I tend to follow the every other generation rule. I see no need to upgrade to every single device known to man.

zsufi

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I am on jod and upgrade made sense. If you are not on a program like jod and you have to sell the note 5 at a loss, upgrade is not worth.

So far the main advantages of note 7
Battery life, I am getting 5-6 hours of sot with 16 total hours before plugging in.
The headphone volume is louder and cleaner, big improvement.
Front camera is much better, more detail, flash is great. Rear camera is no different, I think same level as note 5.
SD card

Some disadvantages
Speeed etc is the same as note 5, you surely don't feel an upgrade in day to day use, not at all
Some stutter on web and Facebook scroll, weird
900 dollars!!!
Form factor, note 5 had amazing factor, felt very business structured, note 7 meh, looks the same as s7 edge.

AlexMarie15

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
I've been wondering this too. The battery life on my Note 5 is awful, but I find that every Note device I have has bad battery life after a certain time period. I'm waiting at least 2 months to see how the Note 7 performs battery wise before upgrading because that seems to be the only feature I desire. Everything else on the Note 5 perfectly suits my needs and wants. The only other option for me is the new iPhone for battery life alone, but part of me would rather bring a charger everywhere than having to be locked down in iOS.

jerrycau123

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
I am on the JOD program and I can swap out up to 3 phones a year! I love tmobile!
I used the note 4 and 5..and the s7 edge ,and decided to try the Note 7, and...Wow! In my opinion this is the BEST phone that Samsung has ever produced!.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
If you have $900 to throw away like everyone else seem to be doing, then more power to you. Go for it :)

I'm staying with Note 5 for now. Just too expensive to justify the upgrade. Note 5 still one great device.

Don't forget, the words "Throw Away" are an opinion!

I think it would be a good upgrade. But you should do what your budget allows for.

The S7E is a good phone. A bit smaller and lack of the spen.

I loved my Note 5, especially since Marshmallow, I wasn't quite sure what to do but had the money. I liked all of what I read prior to launch, played around with one in my AT&T Store for about 30 minutes on the Monday before "Delivery Day" so made an appointment for 10:00 AM on the 19th to go in and purchase one. I have been using it heavily ever since, checking every little setting, making sure I have it optimized, reading all the "Tips and Tricks" threads. If you have the funds available, I feel it stands "head and shoulders" above the Note 5 - This phone is Friggin' AWESOME!
-----------------------------------------------------------------
8/23/16 - Edit for Climb14er - I added the words "I feel" in bold and removed the entire section the apparently lacked humility and semblance of reality - my apologies to everyone. I love my Note 7.

Last edited:

Strong_Genetics

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
I personally think there are enough new features to upgrade......And my #1 reason for me is removable storage......I have a 32gb note 5 now and I'm already maxed out on storage a year later....

krisguy

VR Expert
Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
I still owe over 500 USD on my Note, so I'm going to keep it. I want to keep my switchover to USB-C out as far as I can so I don't have to buy 12 new cords.

njshoremom4gurlz

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't -
To me it's almost same phone lol
Than again I have to have one of each lol
I'm upgrading from iPhone 6s Plus so ---- lol
The note 5 is an upgrade for me

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Don't forget, the words "Throw Away" are an opinion!

I loved my Note 5, especially since Marshmallow, I wasn't quite sure what to do but had the money. I liked all of what I read prior to launch, played around with one in my AT&T Store for about 30 minutes on the Monday before "Delivery Day" so made an appointment for 10:00 AM on the 19th to go in and purchase one. I have been using it heavily ever since, checking every little setting, making sure I have it optimized, reading all the "Tips and Tricks" threads. If you have the funds available, it stands "head and shoulders" above the Note 5 - I don't care what anyone says. If you hear a person say it's not worth the money to upgrade from the Note 5, it's merely because that person can't afford the upgrade. This phone is Friggin' AWESOME!

Let's see... same cell phone number for 23 years, been with Verizon for 17 years, same corporate domain for 22 years, Corporate President, been on Android since the beginning...

My Note 5 does EVERYTHING I ask of it, and more. It'll easily last me another year, no sweat.

I'VE GOT THE GRAND FOR A NOTE 7... BUT WHY?

I've NEVER dropped a phone in the toilet, the displays are very similar, processing speed is excellent, 64GB... and I'm saving a THOUSAND BUCKS with phone, tax and accessories... which my Note 5 has got plenty of.

I've posted, the Note 7 is an EXCELLENT PHONE! But for those with a Note 5, it's a ' mild' upgrade... but a necessary one for those who want the 'latest and greatest!'

Your post is totally out to lunch and lacks any type of humility or semblance of reality for most people in this world!. 😎😉

MizWylie

Q&A Team
Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
Why do responders on this post make it sound like you have to put $900 on the table to get a Note 7?

There's other options, like device payment plan, upgrade a 2 year plan depending on carrier, organ harvest?

I guarantee not everyone throws $900 on the table every time a phone comes out. Some throw kidneys.

Posted from the N7 Dolphin Tears™ on Big Red

bmitchell1876

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I'm coming from the Note3 and here's my 2 cents... note 3 was still a great lag- Free phone with removable storage... I've got Verizon udp so I'm a power user at 50-70gb a month

I absolutely LOVE the screen and resolution of the phone - Note 5 is similar I believe

Absolutely love the camera - Note 5 is similar

The rest of the features are great but not worth an upgrade... I am seriously impressed with the iris scanner tech - almost as convenient as the fingerprint reader

Bottom line if you only have 32gb of storage in note 5 then you will probably appreciate the upgrade but if you have the 64gb then I doubt the few features are worth it to you..

That's my 2 cents... fyi I kept the note 3 as a backup because I've literally had zero issues with the phone

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay