I have a Note 5, Should I upgrade?

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
It's a good upgrade from the Note 5 and you can justify it, but it isn't an exciting upgrade. I'd argue that the Note 5 is better in some ways than the Note 7. In my view, the Note 7 doesn't bring enough to the table to justify spending so much when you already have a Note 5.

Bankz111

Jun 16, 2016
Visit site
No! Not really worth it tbh. Wait for the S8 edge (this will be samsungs juggernaut imo) or note 8. Except you have so much cash to burn. The phone is pretty much meh, except the only thing that matters on earth to you are the curves on it.

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
It's a good upgrade from the Note 5 and you can justify it, but it isn't an exciting upgrade. I'd argue that the Note 5 is better in some ways than the Note 7. In my view, the Note 7 doesn't bring enough to the table to justify spending so much when you already have a Note 5.

What way do you find the Note 5 better then the Note 7?

Posted via the *Note 5*

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Let's see... same cell phone number for 23 years, been with Verizon for 17 years, same corporate domain for 22 years, Corporate President, been on Android since the beginning...

My Note 5 does EVERYTHING I ask of it, and more. It'll easily last me another year, no sweat.

I'VE GOT THE GRAND FOR A NOTE 7... BUT WHY?

I've NEVER dropped a phone in the toilet, the displays are very similar, processing speed is excellent, 64GB... and I'm saving a THOUSAND BUCKS with phone, tax and accessories... which my Note 5 has got plenty of.

I've posted, the Note 7 is an EXCELLENT PHONE! But for those with a Note 5, it's a ' mild' upgrade... but a necessary one for those who want the 'latest and greatest!'

Your post is totally out to lunch and lacks any type of humility or semblance of reality for most people in this world!. ????????????

I don't think it lacks humility. The OP is simply asking for opinions and he gave his -- he thinks it is worth it. After being on a Note 5 for a month and now on the Note 7 I would say the same. Would others agree? Some yes -- some no.

Remember your opinion isn't the only one so shunning someone for giving theirs really isn't needed ;).

NotAnAppleGuy

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn't. I don't particularly care for the phone design wise. Imo the Note 4/Edge was the best Note ever released. I'm still using my Note Edge until the UAG case for the N7 arrives. I have spent about 6 hours fooling around with the phone. Iris scanner? Big whoop, I always use a PIN and have never tried the fingerprint scanner on any phone. S-Pen? Loved it on Kit-Kat. Not so much on MM.

If I had not dropped my damn Note Edge in a a river, I wouldn't even think about upgrading..

Posted Via Galaxy Note Edge. Yea, the phone is perfect...

MizWylie

Q&A Team
Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
I wouldn't. I don't particularly care for the phone design wise. Imo the Note 4/Edge was the best Note ever released. I'm still using my Note Edge until the UAG case for the N7 arrives. I have spent about 6 hours fooling around with the phone. Iris scanner? Big whoop, I always use a PIN and have never tried the fingerprint scanner on any phone. S-Pen? Loved it on Kit-Kat. Not so much on MM.

If I had not dropped my damn Note Edge in a a river, I wouldn't even think about upgrading..

Posted Via Galaxy Note Edge. Yea, the phone is perfect...

The fingerprint scanner is well worth it, my friend. Say goodbye to PIN numbers.

My Note Edge got washed with my bedding, Asurion replaced it with the Note 5 because the Note Edge had long since been discontinued. It was either the Note 5 or a Galaxy S6 Edge so I went with the Note 5 and fell for the fingerprint scanner.

Posted from the N7 Dolphin Tears™ on Big Red

TJA3500

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site
No it was not. Buying a $900 phone is lol. Enjoy your phone. If you go back and read my post, I said if you have the money then more power to you, buy it.

I just bought an like new note 5 with wireless charger and 2 cases (not a single scratch) for $300 and I'm very happy. Give it few months, and note 7 will have the same fait ;)
I can buy a brand new Note7 right now for $349.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
I can buy a brand new Note7 right now for $349.
You don't understand how carrier contracts work then. You are dreaming if these companies give you anything for free.

VZ as an example.
If you buy the phone on payments, your line is $20 a month.
If you buy the phone on contract ($350), your line is $40 a month. Do the math, they are getting their money back without you knowing. Sorry budd.

stronggeek

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Of course It depends on your wants and needs, but I did.

My Logic: Note 7 is faster (and not just on paper), has secure folder, has always on display, it's water resistant, has 64 gigs, sd card storage, better s-pen, just name a few things.

And if you can sell your note 5 for a reasonable price and scoop up the 256 gb card pre-order freebie (I did both) then for me it becomes a no brainer.

Good Luck!

Ronald Andrews

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I upgraded from the N5 and while the N7 is a nice phone with some nice features I would wait for the 2017 models. I only upgrade because I have JOD and wanted to try out a edge phone since it seem that is the direction Samsung is going. I don't love the phone I don't hate it either there is no real wow factor over the N5.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I have a Note 5 and I'm upgrading to the 7. I love the edge features, water resistance, SD card slot, and software enhancements. I get every new Note that is released.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Seems like I just got the Note 5, not sure if I should upgrade to a Note 7. It is very dreamy to me, I love it. Although, I'd trade up in a second...it really is not in my budget. I was thinking of getting the S7 Edge? Any suggestions?

If it's not in your budget, it's not worth the upgrade to either the Note7 or the S7 Edge. The Note 5 is still a phenomenal phone. The differences are there for sure, but especially now that the Note 5 has Marshmallow, they're not worth it if you don't have the budget. FWIW, I have the Note7 and am selling my S7 Edge, and I've used the Note 5 too. The Note 5 is nothing to sneeze at, and even in 2016, I consider it a flagship in many respects.

Posted via the Android Central App

cynth.hgn

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site
I upgraded and my Note 5 was more fluid and smooth. It ran with no hiccups. This Note 7 was jittery right out of the box, I'm hoping it will smooth out with usage and deleting some bloat ware. The 2nd thing is, when I buy a phone, I slap a screen protector on, with a case and forget about it. There's not one for the 7 that works proper so I find I'm constantly paranoid about scratches. I'm using a screen protector that's lifting and drives me nuts and a flip wallet case (which I never use) because I'm so paranoid lol. My iris scanner stopped working, a re boot seemed to fix it. Anyways, the Note 5 was perfect in every way, but now I've sold it to a lucky guy :(
First world problems

cynth.hgn

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site

I agree. Unless you need the water resistance, its not worth it. The curved screen is a pain to protect. My Note 5 was smooth as butter and actually faster

TJA3500

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site
You don't understand how carrier contracts work then. You are dreaming if these companies give you anything for free.

VZ as an example.
If you buy the phone on contract ($350), your line is $40 a month. Do the math, they are getting their money back without you knowing. Sorry budd.
But my bill is still only $110 per month for two phones.
Also I do know what money Verizon gets from me. They don't get it from me without me knowing it.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

VZ as an example.

It depends on your plan... I am on the legacy Verizon nationwide plan, and my premium doesn't change regardless of going on contract or off. I bough my note 7 for $100($300 - $200 Comcast visa cash card).

It isn't free by any means but... For my usage, this plan is the cheapest of any carrier, contract or none.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
But my bill is still only $110 per month for two phones.
Also I do know what money Verizon gets from me. They don't get it from me without me knowing it.
How much data though? I pay about $50 per line for 100gb per line (i.e. 500gb for 5 lines)

TJA3500

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site
I have small 2 gig plan. My data expires on the 10th of the month and this month I had .82 carryover. I still have 2.34 left until September 10th so you can see I don't need much data. My line access fee is $40 and my wife's is $20, plus I pay $7. for insurance.
On the price of the phone, here's why $349 is good deal. If you buy the phone outright for $849, Verizon has a $20 per month line access fee. If you buy the phone at the $349 you have a $40 per month line access fee.
So, you're paying an extra $20 per month for the discounted price. $20 per month × 24 months = $480.
Add $480 to the $349 for the phone and you have a total price of $829.
$829 is less than $849.
This why it's a good deal.
Everyone always thinks there getting cheated out of money with Verizon but they don't look at the bottom line.
No matter how much data you buy, you still have the same line access fee.

Two year ownership cost.

Outright price $849 + $20 per month line access fee = $1329

Discount price $349 + $40 per month = $1309
I'll take the discount any day.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockpaperreality36