I have a Note 5, Should I upgrade?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I think I prefer the Note 5 camera to the Note 7 camera. I don't think the drop in megapixels was worth it or necessary. Also, the Note 5 is less likely to scratch or shatter than the Note 7.

Megapixels aren't everything when it comes to a camera.

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
You don't understand how carrier contracts work then. You are dreaming if these companies give you anything for free.

VZ as an example.
If you buy the phone on payments, your line is $20 a month.
If you buy the phone on contract ($350), your line is $40 a month. Do the math, they are getting their money back without you knowing. Sorry budd.

The 2 year contract is still the cheapest option, although not by a huge amount.

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site

I don't need to read that piece. I know all about that stuff. I think the results with the Note 5 are ultimately better than the results with the Note 7. I know that a 16 megapixel LG camera can beat the 12 megapixels Samsung camera in all lighting. I want my pictures to be as big as they can be while still getting a quality image. I want that detail from the 16 megapixel camera.

TJA3500

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site
I don't need to read that piece. I know all about that stuff. I think the results with the Note 5 are ultimately better than the results with the Note 7. I know that a 16 megapixel LG camera can beat the 12 megapixels Samsung camera in all lighting. I want my pictures to be as big as they can be while still getting a quality image. I want that detail from the 16 megapixel camera.
My wife's S7 and my Note 5 seem about the same for picture quality.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Take the time to read the part about cropping. A 12 MP 4:3 and 16 MP 16:9 are showing the exact same amount of detail, except for part of the edge that is cropped off.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
My wife had a G4...and took a TON of pics that worked their way into any number of albums that she printed via Shuterfly... and in the process she lopped up all those margins since 16x9 isn't really a format that is used by anything in still photography, where it's mostly 4:3, 3:2 or 1:1.

Besides, I've found that there is a fair amount of image distortion due to diffraction on those margins.

Now, in terms of the post-processing.. yes, I've found that my wife's S7 can be pretty heavy handed when it comes to what happens AFTER the pic is taken. The pics look at ton better the smaller you display them since the sharpening and processing sort of tricks the eye into thinking there is finer detail. But I've been told that the Note 7 has a lot less processing now... not having one myself, I can't attest to that.

We should see plenty of in-depth camera comparisons soon enough.

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Take the time to read the part about cropping. A 12 MP 4:3 and 16 MP 16:9 are showing the exact same amount of detail, except for part of the edge that is cropped off.
I don't want 4:3 images. I want pictures that fill screens.

I would think the Note 7 has 16:9 ratio somewhere in the settings.
16:9 would be 9mp same as S7
16:9 on the Note 5 is 16 megapixels. Huge difference.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't want 4:3 images. I want pictures that fill screens.

16:9 on the Note 5 is 16 megapixels. Huge difference.

I am no camera expert but I do trust known sources and they say the S7 / S7 Edge (same camera as the Note 7) is pretty top notch over the Note 5. Unless you're like .. blowing those photos up the MP won't make that big of a difference.

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I am no camera expert but I do trust known sources and they say the S7 / S7 Edge (same camera as the Note 7) is pretty top notch over the Note 5. Unless you're like .. blowing those photos up the MP won't make that big of a difference.
There was literally no valid reason for Samsung to drop down to 12 megapixels. The Note 5 can already take 12 megapixels images if you want. My phone's screen is a 16:9 ratio. My TV screen is a 16:9 ratio. Most computer monitors these days are at a 16:9 ratio. Why would I want to take pictures in a 4:3 ratio? I want as many megapixels as I can get because screens are getting higher and higher in resolution. An 8 megapixel image is going to look tiny when we start using screen resolutions above 4k.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
There was literally no valid reason for Samsung to drop down to 12 megapixels. The Note 5 can already take 12 megapixels images if you want. My phone's screen is a 16:9 ratio. My TV screen is a 16:9 ratio. Most computer monitors these days are at a 16:9 ratio. Why would I want to take pictures in a 4:3 ratio? I want as many megapixels as I can get because screens are getting higher and higher in resolution. An 8 megapixel image is going to look tiny when we start using screen resolutions above 4k.

Hence why I said -- "if you blow these photos up". As in blow them up on a TV or something ;).

TJA3500

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site
Myself, I always take pics in the16:9 ratio because if I take a quick pic of something, I get more of the subject in my shot. It's easy to crop a 16:9 to a 4:3.
I like the 16:9 because they fill up the TV and laptop screens.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
There was literally no valid reason for Samsung to drop down to 12 megapixels.

The differences is far more than just a resolution change. While there are fewer overall pixels, the Note 7's sensor is actually a fair bit larger. Here is a quick gfx showing the difference in physical size between the Note 7's sensor (blue) and the Note 5's sensor (red). This is a simplistic view as it ignores the other specs (lens size, aperture, focal length, etc), but there's more in play here than just a few pixels.

Why go to 12? A combination of factors.... The Dual Pixel tech required a certain pixel pitch size (in this case 1.4 microns), so that, in turn, sets the overall scale of the sensor. Then it was a matter of choosing the rest of the optics for the camera then putting it all together in a package that meets the phone's overall size needs. Why did they go to 12MP? Because they had to go that route in order for the camera to fit where it fit. Had they gone to a larger sensor size, whether it was 4:3 or 16:9 (which the industry is moving away from by the way), the camera module would have had to have been MUCH larger... something they wanted to avoid, obviously.

12v16.png

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
The differences is far more than just a resolution change. While there are fewer overall pixels, the Note 7's sensor is actually a fair bit larger. Here is a quick gfx showing the difference in physical size between the Note 7's sensor (blue) and the Note 5's sensor (red). This is a simplistic view as it ignores the other specs (lens size, aperture, focal length, etc), but there's more in play here than just a few pixels.

Why go to 12? A combination of factors.... The Dual Pixel tech required a certain pixel pitch size (in this case 1.4 microns), so that, in turn, sets the overall scale of the sensor. Then it was a matter of choosing the rest of the optics for the camera then putting it all together in a package that meets the phone's overall size needs. Why did they go to 12MP? Because they had to go that route in order for the camera to fit where it fit. Had they gone to a larger sensor size, whether it was 4:3 or 16:9 (which the industry is moving away from by the way), the camera module would have had to have been MUCH larger... something they wanted to avoid, obviously.

View attachment 236819
The LG G5 proves that dropping down to 12 megapixels isn't necessary. That camera is as good or better overall than the Samsung cameras so far.