08-25-2016 03:11 PM
234 1234 ...
tools
    I think if you're a fan of stock Android then nearly anything with heavy customization is not going to be to your liking. We're all entitled to our opinions and you should certainly feel safe to share yours here. Sorry you've received some negative responses.

My own experience is a little different from what I read on the XDA article, and they even admitted that not all phones experience the same performance issues. Coming from a Palm Pre I know a thing or two about lag on phones. I switched to an HTC Evo, then Galaxy S3, Note 4, and Note 5. My experience has been the same with every one of them with the exception of the Note 5: they were great out of the box but as soon as updates started coming down the performance degraded. Starting with the 5.0.2 upgrade on the Note 4, I started blocking OTA updates and that has really helped.

I felt like the Note 5 was the first Android phone I've owned that really didn't have a very perceptible lag. I got it secondhand so it already had 6.x installed on it but I blocked all updates and it has been a joy to use. The only issue I have with it is really poor battery life. If it had good battery life I wouldn't have bought the Note 7. All I wanted was the experience of the Note 5 with better battery life and so far the Note 7 has delivered that.

I'm not seeing any real lag that would bother me. There might be some slight delays when hitting the home button or launching apps but it's nothing like I experienced on the Note 4, S3, HTC Evo, etc. The first thing I did was block updates so I'm hopeful it'll stay this way. If it does I don't see needing to buy a new phone for a while.

Again personal opinion here - I'm not really a fan of stock Android. I find it a little boring and lacking in features. I really like what Samsung does to customize the experience and while I wish they'd tone it back and improve overall performance I feel like it's at the point where performance is more than acceptable to me.

To each his/her own. It's only a smartphone.
    08-22-2016 07:46 AM
    Just curious, what is all the hype about one phone being faster than another. If a phone is fast enough for someone to do anything they need to do on it, what difference does it make if an application opens a half a second faster on one phone versus another. If someone never used another brand of phone, or one with stock Android, they would never know the difference.
    Why would someone want to be stuck with stock Android when a branded phone can do so much more.
    08-22-2016 08:23 AM
    I am currently in the process of looking at swapping from an iPhone 6s to the Note 7, every September I get a new phone and looking at what Apple has planned I don't see see that I can justify that upgrade.

I have had Samsung phones in the past (Notes & Galaxy's) and in my experience Apple phones run smoother that the Samsung counterparts and I have seen a quick reduction in performance with the Samsung's (this is just my opinion and in no way a fact).

So while deciding what I am going to buy (it's between the Note 7 & iPhone 7) I have been reading every review on the Note 7, all very positive apart from the XDA article.

As stated I do not have the Note 7 so this is just my personal opinion, I belive that I will sacrifice some performance and "fluidity" if switching from my IOS (or pure android device). Now I feel this is hard to stomach when you look at the price of the Note 7, however, the amount of features of the Note 7 is incomparable with any other phone on the market.

So I guess I am thinking that going from an iPhone to Samsung I will lose some performance but will gain A LOT of new features.

What I am interested in from you guys using the Note 7 is-

1. What can I do to help ensure the Note 7 performance remains the same (or as close to) day 1 performance e.g. what can be disabled in application manager?

2. Will getting an unlocked phone help (as there will be no carrier bloatware)?

3. Over the next few days/weeks do users see a noticeable difference in performance/speed of the Note?
    08-22-2016 08:29 AM
    This isn't difficult...XDA is filled with Nexus/stock Android purists....they want something the rest of the market doesn't.

And anandtech? It's hard to take them seriously these days...I read a GPU review the other day and they couldn't resist talking about Apple fr half of it...which is ridiculous as Apple is as much a gaming platform as my left shoe here....
    08-22-2016 08:30 AM
    I believe the note 7 is by far the best phone Samsung has ever produced!
    This is just my opinion...
    If you believe the iphone (boring) is the phone for you, go for it!
    If you believe the Nexus p is you do the same!..I always thought the P ment Perfect.
    I am sick and tired of hearing about that phone!.
    08-22-2016 08:38 AM
    I think it's amusing that you think the people who enjoy the Samsung devices only do so due to marketing hype.
    I had the Samsung Galaxy nexus, it was horrible until I put a custom ROM on it. That's right I felt a Nexus device was horrible.
    I bought the Note 2 next and really like it, after 3 years I bought the Note 5, also really like it.
    Marketing had nothing to do with it, I like the s-pen and its software features and multi window.
    No, of course not. Many people buy Samsung phones because they like them. The majority of consumers though buy Samsung phones mostly because this is what they see when they go into a store. These people only know Apple and Samsung. This is a marketing achievement of Apple and Samsung. Kudos to both these companies.
    This doesn't mean though that I like how much marketing influences our purchases.
    08-22-2016 08:41 AM
    People are going to complain. All the time. We've reached a stage where lag is noticeable. Slightly slower speeds are not. Even if every single phone in existence had exactly the same speeds, internals, and performance, people would complain about the color. People will always find something to complain about. I'm not a fan of Samsung phones. However the N7 does interest me, and I'll never tell anyone not to buy a phone, unless it really is a garbage phone.
    vientiane and sangs like this.
    08-22-2016 08:43 AM
    Thanks for the really mature comment. Yes, I do not like Samsung but for a brief moment I considered buying the Note. I like its design and the display is amazing. I am used though in having lag free phones, and I also do not like bloat. This is why I didn't buy it.
    I have no lag with my note 7 and just disable the bloat. Between my note 7, 6p and iphone 6s, I cant tell any difference in performance. Although, I do have a moto z force and it is faster than all 3.
    sangs likes this.
    08-22-2016 08:45 AM
    So the debate point here is to call people trolls ?
    I have the note 7. And it has serious performance issues. Anyone saying there's is smooth is in denial. Or option B. They've been used to android lag for so long they don't even notice.
    No lag with mine.

My buddy has a note 7 and his does have noticeable lag. So not sure if there are some bad batches.
    08-22-2016 08:49 AM
    Thanks for the really mature comment. Yes, I do not like Samsung but for a brief moment I considered buying the Note. I like its design and the display is amazing. I am used though in having lag free phones, and I also do not like bloat. This is why I didn't buy it.
    What phone is you using now ?
    08-22-2016 08:51 AM
    I think it's amusing that you think the people who enjoy the Samsung devices only do so due to marketing hype.
    I had the Samsung Galaxy nexus, it was horrible until I put a custom ROM on it. That's right I felt a Nexus device was horrible.
    I bought the Note 2 next and really like it, after 3 years I bought the Note 5, also really like it.
    Marketing had nothing to do with it, I like the s-pen and its software features and multi window.
    I don't think tech enthusiasts would buy a phone on marketing hype, but the general public will and does. Then you also have the carriers that push Samsung because it's generally an easy sell. I can't remember the last time I went into a carrier store that didn't push Samsung first. I've even had reps push Samsung on me even after they tell me that they use a different phone as their personal phone.

The only point I guess I'm trying to make is that Samsung has both marketing and the extreme push from carriers to help sell their devices. I have the Note 7 and I like it. Not trying to down Samsung or their users, as I am now one. No marketing involved though. The display, camera, and S-Pen pushed me to the Note.
    petvas72 likes this.
    08-22-2016 08:52 AM
    You can disable all the bloat you want. Just use package disabler Pro.
    08-22-2016 08:52 AM
    What phone is you using now ?
    I have an HTC 10. Before that I had a Nexus 6P and before that an iPhone 6S Plus.

I love my HTC 10 and it is really a shame that it is not selling better (blame HTC for that).
    08-22-2016 08:53 AM
    You have to realize that most people barely know how to turn on their phone and do basic functions on it.
    Most people just want what's popular and as long as it makes calls and send texts and emails that's what they buy. It's all about the advertising hype.
    My wife used to be one of those people because she's still never turned on a computer and she uses her phone for the basic tasks.
    08-22-2016 08:56 AM
    One thing I would like them to improve is taking total control of their brand and messaging. Still too many variants and experiences of their flagship across the world. I would like them to see galaxy experience irrespective of where or which carrier you buy. People won't care about this but Samsung knows it'll be a better experience for the user if they can control software like Apple does. I know never going to happen but one can only wish for one galaxy experience everywhere in the world like iPhones/iOS.
    I've really been thinking about this. Samsung has the power, money, and brand recognition to tell the carriers to f off at this point. They could easily get deals like Apple with no carrier software, no carrier branding, and direct updates from Samsung w/o carrier involvement. I don't understand why they don't unless they're afraid the carriers won't push their phones as much as they currently do.
    bhatech likes this.
    08-22-2016 08:57 AM
    Anything with stock Android or close to it.
    Not even close. Stock android has plenty of complaints.
    08-22-2016 08:57 AM
    Closed for moderation.
    08-22-2016 08:58 AM
    Interesting. I personally can't stand poor UI performance. I guess I'll wait it out and see how the situation develops as time passes.
    08-22-2016 09:31 AM
    Strange that people keep posting this article...
    stackberry369 likes this.
    08-22-2016 09:38 AM
    I like my phone. Its that simple. Enjoy reading your article. It isn't an iPhone, or any other phone. It does things that the others cannot do. I also don't mind an occasional dropped frame. My life is too short to expect that kind of perfection. (You may now add your "But for that kind of money, it ought to ______")

I have no complaints, except the Samsung Note app being completely stripped of every usable feature... might as well call it Samsung Keep.

The only benefit to these kinds of articles is that maybe, they will press to continue to lighten the load of TW and clean up some of the hesitation, and maybe replace samsung Note with something new.. .or something old (like s-note)
    08-22-2016 09:53 AM
    My Verizon N7 is not having the issues noted by XDA. I did turn off some bloat, but have over 40GB of apps installed like I had with the MXPE.

I get the usual Android lag, but I understand the combination of translation code layer, cache and Android memory address management are the cause for this. Sytemic to all devices I have used. Which is pretty much all flagships that are retail offered.

Even using the stock mid setting for power saving mode I do not have the issues noted by XDA.

This is coming from a non fanboy very picky person as perspective.
    08-22-2016 09:59 AM
    I like my phone. Its that simple. Enjoy reading your article. It isn't an iPhone, or any other phone. It does things that the others cannot do. I also don't mind an occasional dropped frame. My life is too short to expect that kind of perfection. (You may now add your "But for that kind of money, it ought to ______")

I have no complaints, except the Samsung Note app being completely stripped of every usable feature... might as well call it Samsung Keep.

The only benefit to these kinds of articles is that maybe, they will press to continue to lighten the load of TW and clean up some of the hesitation, and maybe replace samsung Note with something new.. .or something old (like s-note)
    Your opinion is completely legitimate. The Note 7 is still a beautiful device with some really neat tricks up its sleeve that make it stand out of the crowd and undoubtedly justify its price tag.

My father is quite similar in the regard that his phone does "everything I want it to do". Mini stutters and some delayed touch response are not something that bothers him and are undoubtedly as a result of decades of working and living with computers that were horrendously slow by today's standards. Problem is now in this day and age with such hardware we expect flawless UI performance considering the hardware.

I'm on the other camp. I'm an entitled millennial that gets annoyed by micro stutters because I'm used to things being fast, reliable and responsive. I'm using a Nexus 6P, after all. The last thing I would want is for the phone to feel like a downgrade.
    08-22-2016 10:03 AM
    My Verizon N7 is not having the issues noted by XDA. I did turn off some bloat, but have over 40GB of apps installed like I had with the MXPE.

I get the usual Android lag, but I understand the combination of translation code layer, cache and Android memory address management are the cause for this. Sytemic to all devices I have used. Which is pretty much all flagships that are retail offered.

Even using the stock mid setting for power saving mode I do not have the issues noted by XDA.

This is coming from a non fanboy very picky person as perspective.
    Great post, and I agree. Stock Android fans will never understand this. Samsung phones aren't perfect, but they are never boring. They are stunning pieces of artistry and hardware design. For us, that is worth the price of admission.
    08-22-2016 10:12 AM
    Mod Note, opened again after a bit of cleaning. This thread has merit however, people can't seem to follow the rules. Just remember - P.U.P.P.A.H
    (Be Polite, Understanding, Patient, Professional, Attentive and Helpful)

Please... If you see something inappropriate, please use the report post to Moderator button instead of piling on or calling someone a troll or whatever... I don't want to see this thread closed, but if people can't behave then it will be.
    msm0511, LeoRex, petvas72 and 3 others like this.
    08-22-2016 10:12 AM
    Great post, and I agree. Stock Android fans will never understand this. Samsung phones aren't perfect, but they are never boring. They are stunning pieces of artistry and hardware design. For us, that is worth the price of admission.
    Read what I wrote above and you'll see that some stock fans do understand! I just happen to have a different opinion.
    08-22-2016 10:17 AM
234 1234 ...