08-25-2016 03:11 PM
234 ... 34567 ...
tools
    I get so tired of comparisons to iPhones. When the iPhone has the S pen software and an S pen and does half of what the Note 7 does, then let's see how the lag compares. My Nintendo 64 has less lag and loading times than my PS4, it doesn't mean the N64 is a better gaming console (arguably more fun, but not better).
    TJA3500 likes this.
    08-22-2016 02:54 PM
    I get so tired of comparisons to iPhones. When the iPhone has the S pen software and an S pen and does half of what the Note 7 does, then let's see how the lag compares. My Nintendo 64 has less lag and loading times than my PS4, it doesn't mean the N64 is a better gaming console (arguably more fun, but not better).
    With this I agree, but here we are comparing the same functions. Scrolling in Chrome for example shouldn't cause dropped frames on the Note. It is unacceptable. Now the question is, do people care about that? The answer is no. Technical people only might care, and that shows that Samsung is doing very well towards consumers. I do not see myself as a typical consumer, so I stay away from things that make me sick..
    08-22-2016 02:56 PM
    With this I agree, but here we are comparing the same functions. Scrolling in Chrome for example shouldn't cause dropped frames on the Note. It is unacceptable. Now the question is, do people care about that? The answer is no. Technical people only might care, and that shows that Samsung is doing very well towards consumers. I do not see myself as a typical consumer, so I stay away from things that make me sick..
    Right, but my point is that if the software as a whole is designed entirely different and is capable of so much more, it makes sense to me that they may not have spent as much time optimizing the scrolling on Chrome. To me, I have always chosen more robust software that has more features over the software that does one or two things great and can't do anything else at all. It's boring to me. Smooth chrome scrolling is great, but it's not enough to keep me entertained with a device for 2 years. Samsung and Android in general does provide that entertainment for me.
    08-22-2016 02:59 PM
    I know I may not have the ability to articulate this without sounding combative, but what is it that you gained from posting this thread here? I chose the Note 7 over the HTC 10 but I have nothing to gain from going and posting links that cast the HTC 10 in a negative light. I think it's awesome that you enjoy your HTC 10. I don't need to try to change that. Now, I agree that the Note 7 has some lag as did my Note 4. So i'm not bothered by people on XDA saying it has lag. I just am always curious of why people need or want to post these types of threads when they don't even own the phone in question.
    I am not gaining anything about it. Technology is my job and hobby at the same time, so I like to comment on technology topics. The Note 7 has had some really great reviews, and only judging by them someone would believe that this is the best smartphone ever, with almost no competition. I wanted to show that there is another side of the story, that most media companies hide from us. I still say, I wonder why!
    I am not saying that the Note 7 is not a great phone overall. Nothing is perfect and I would like to have more objective tech reviews. I would also like a world where not only strong marketing is winning.
    Other phones are also great, but people (I mean the majority of consumers), do not even bother with them. You go into a shop and you see Apple and Samsung booths. Everybody else does not even have a change.
    As I wrote, the Note 7 is certainly a very good phone if you are ready to accept its software. People considering the Note 7 should also read the negative reviews. This is what this thread is about. My personal feelings against Samsung have really nothing to do with this thread. I am not a child and have no problem keeping my emotions out of such a discussion.
    08-22-2016 03:04 PM
    [NOTE]Lets keep the discussion civil please. If there is a problem with a post then please report it so the Mod team can take a look, attempting to resolve it yourself is not advisable.
    Thanks[/NOTE].
    Almeuit, Ry and libra89 like this.
    08-22-2016 03:04 PM
    Right, but my point is that if the software as a whole is designed entirely different and is capable of so much more, it makes sense to me that they may not have spent as much time optimizing the scrolling on Chrome. To me, I have always chosen more robust software that has more features over the software that does one or two things great and can't do anything else at all. It's boring to me. Smooth chrome scrolling is great, but it's not enough to keep me entertained with a device for 2 years. Samsung and Android in general does provide that entertainment for me.
    Basic functionality must work flawlessly. If this is not the case, then the OEM has done something terribly wrong.
    08-22-2016 03:05 PM
    hating..the most overused and misunderstood word on the planet.

It's not "hating" if its the truth.
    petvas72 likes this.
    08-22-2016 03:13 PM
    The problem is many people will switch from an iphone to the note or note to an iphone. The iphone crowd will say they can get the same end results and be just as productive on an iphone. They do the same things just in a different way. They are the two most popular phone brands so it is inevitable for the non stop comparisons.
    libra89 likes this.
    08-22-2016 03:24 PM
    I agree with your point, but not how you got there, couple of reasons; The N64 and PS4 aren't in the same league or even playing the same sport anymore. The only commonality they share is that "they're game focused," and "they use a controller," other than, "needs electricity and a TV combined," the newer console offers functionality far far beyond even the expectations of the N64. On the phone scale, that's like comparing an iPhone to a rotary dial telephone. I think the speed comparison is fair given the OS's for each accomplish basically the same things: data, camera's, text messaging, phone calls and app access. You can argue the merits of Android versus IOS all day long - but at the end of the day...that's a smaller comparison based on niche-preference...not hardware capability
    08-22-2016 03:24 PM
    Basic functionality must work flawlessly. If this is not the case, then the OEM has done something terribly wrong.
    True, I guess it comes down to what your definition of "flawless" is. For me, Chrome works flawlessly. The load times are quick, and I can cover tons of internet ground in mere seconds using it. If the app crashed repeatedly, I would consider that flawed. I haven't noticed any legitimate complaints on my Note 7 when using Chrome, and even less when using Samsung's browser. I may not have an eye trained for catching frame drops while scrolling, and that may be what this comes down to. But if you have to be trained to notice a problem, that problem is probably not really a problem in the real world. I mean when it comes right down to it, perception is reality and if the vast majority of people can't perceive frame drops, then they aren't going to care if a few individuals on XDA have detected it. I suppose this is the group that I fall into.
    TJA3500 likes this.
    08-22-2016 03:37 PM
    What doesn't function right? So far I used GPS this weekend, Google for searching / reminders / etc., called friends using VoLTE, group (MMS) / text (SMS) messages, pictures, facebook, streaming live TV, etc. etc. and all of it has worked without a hiccup. Even when using T-Mobile WiFi calling all of it worked like it should.
    08-22-2016 03:40 PM
    But that's the silly argument between basic functionality...what is that?

A Samsung user might quantify:. Multi window, PIP media viewing, themeing, being able to add HTML tags in email SIG's (sorry...that Ines mine and no one does that but Samsung)

An Android purists list is going to look different and so is an IOS user. Basic functionality for smart phones is making calls, texting, some light web browsing...AAA and thats it. I think we can all agree that any phone released in the last 8 years can do those things pretty well...
    TJA3500 likes this.
    08-22-2016 03:42 PM
    I am not gaining anything about it. Technology is my job and hobby at the same time, so I like to comment on technology topics. The Note 7 has had some really great reviews, and only judging by them someone would believe that this is the best smartphone ever, with almost no competition. I wanted to show that there is another side of the story, that most media companies hide from us. I still say, I wonder why!
    I am not saying that the Note 7 is not a great phone overall. Nothing is perfect and I would like to have more objective tech reviews. I would also like a world where not only strong marketing is winning.
    Other phones are also great, but people (I mean the majority of consumers), do not even bother with them. You go into a shop and you see Apple and Samsung booths. Everybody else does not even have a change.
    As I wrote, the Note 7 is certainly a very good phone if you are ready to accept its software. People considering the Note 7 should also read the negative reviews. This is what this thread is about. My personal feelings against Samsung have really nothing to do with this thread. I am not a child and have no problem keeping my emotions out of such a discussion.
    There is nothing wrong with Note 7's software, there is nothing "accept" unless you are prepared to accept some damn good features.
    08-22-2016 03:56 PM
    I'm coming to the GN7 from the HTC 10. There a noticeable difference in the software experience between the 2 phones. The HTC Sense UI is much more fluid then the Note 7, and I'm using Nova Launcher on the Note... It's not even close. With that being said, the Note 7 is much more enjoyable to me because it's a feature rich device with a better camera, better screen experience, better access to accessories and of course the productivity due to the S Pen. Spend your money on what makes you happy, don't get caught up in specs and comparisons.
    08-22-2016 04:18 PM
    I'm on the other camp. I'm an entitled millennial that gets annoyed by micro stutters because I'm used to things being fast, reliable and responsive. I'm using a Nexus 6P, after all. The last thing I would want is for the phone to feel like a downgrade.
    But you use a phone with no SD slot, no wireless charging, that is not water resistant. Everyone accepts their own compromises - regardless of handset choice - based on their own set of priorities.
    Personally, I'd love to see a full-zoot Nexus.
    08-22-2016 04:25 PM
    Good grief Charlie Brown, some folks are never happy. Yes, my note 7 is not perfect but I personally think it is the best phone out their bar none and I have had just about every phone currently out their but that's my personal experience!
    08-22-2016 04:37 PM
    I've read some disturbing things about the Note 7. Can those of you who have received your Note 7's have a look at the link and comment? My Note 7 should arrive on Wednesday. The Note 7 Still Delivers Embarrassing Real-World Performance
    08-22-2016 04:48 PM
    I've read some disturbing things about the Note 7. Can those of you who have received your Note 7's have a look at the link and comment? My Note 7 should arrive on Wednesday. The Note 7 Still Delivers Embarrassing Real-World Performance
    There's already a thread on this, and it is not accurate in my experience. XDA is full of guys who do tech for their livelihood. So they are hyper sensitive to any of the smallest, most insignificant performance 'flaws'. In the real world, it's nothing like they make it out to be. My Note 7 is FAR more smooth than my Note 4 was. I have certainly noticed little moments of a fraction of a second delay, but nothing that impacts your daily usage of the device. It has been outstanding for me so far.
    nick1226 likes this.
    08-22-2016 04:51 PM
    On benchmarks, yes there are some minor hiccups. Nothing that can't be fixed with software updates. There is plenty hardware to support every piece of software on the phone.

In real world usage, you'll have to look for it to see it.
    nick1226 likes this.
    08-22-2016 04:53 PM

I'm on the other camp. I'm an entitled millennial that gets annoyed by micro stutters because I'm used to things being fast, reliable and responsive. I'm using a Nexus 6P, after all. The last thing I would want is for the phone to feel like a downgrade.
    I am the opposite when looking at the Nexus 6P. It seems like the 6P is a downgrade because it doesn't have all the features of a phone like a Samsung, HTC or the Moto which has all of the Moto features.
    Although I'm a great grandfather, I have always kept up with technology and I used to have many phones that I rooted and installed custom roms and I like the fact they were fast.
    But, it takes a lot of time to keep up with the updates and installing nightlies and trying to keep the phone running smooth.
    I have tried stock Android but I find it's too boring.
    At this stage in my life, I find a lot of other things I enjoy doing besides messing with my phone all the time. That's why I like my Samsung it does what I need it to do.
    LegalAmerican and nick1226 like this.
    08-22-2016 05:00 PM
    Can I hit everyone with a harsh reality here? One you don't want to hear, especially the ones that cling to brands like their mommy's leg.

There will never, ever be...a perfect phone. Even if such a unicorn did exist, why in earth would any company produce it and release it to the public. We're all perfectly content to spend hundreds of dollars on an semi-annual cycle to buy a device with beautiful compromises. Why would any OEM want to change that?

Have a nice life!
    08-22-2016 05:18 PM
    Why do people that have such a deep hate for Samsung products hang out in a Samsung product forum?
    08-22-2016 05:24 PM
    Why do people that have such a deep hate for Samsung products hang out in a Samsung product forum?
    My thoughts exactly
    08-22-2016 05:24 PM
    Always been the case. Always will be. Samsung is the king of Android. They get all the attention, articles and fan loyalty.

If I used another brand, I'd be bitter too. lol
    08-22-2016 05:31 PM
    I won't bother insulting you, it is your opinion.
    However, i disagree with you. For me the note series has been a phone packed with lots of features, as opposed to stock android which lets the user pick and choose what they want to add.

I look at stock android like a race car, it has had all the extras removed, like air conditioning, radios, anything that causes the motor to work harder. Also any extra frills are removed to make the car lighter so it can go faster on the track.

Now take a car that has plenty of horsepower, but get tbe luxury model. You want the air conditioning, you want the trim, and nice seats. Its your daily driver and you want the options to make driving it more comfortable.
    Now this car isnt going to do the quarter mile as fast as the race car, but you dont mind, its still fast enough to get you down the highway but your doing it in a more comfortable vehicle.

To me thats the difference in stock android and a phone like the note 7.

Who cares what its quarter mile time is, it still goes plenty fast!
    Excellent way of describing my opinion on This topic

I own an Infiniti G35 instead of the Nissan 350z in real life

Posted via the Android Central App
    08-22-2016 05:39 PM
234 ... 34567 ...