Xda-Developers paints a different picture of the Note 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

fragologist

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Good article but still want the note 7. I've been using the note 4 for 2 years and it's still running smooth. It still has the occasional hiccup but nothing to worry about. Battery is crap but external batteries take care of that. The camera on the note 4 is garbage with indoor our low light settings. Seems like the note 7 will take care of the issues I mentioned.

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I just didn't want to go through the trouble of finding the breakdown in their earnings report but didn't think I would have to...

40 million per quarter rough estimate x 4 = roughly 160 million iphones a year. Compared to estimated 25 million S7/S7 Edges for year?

Say 25% Iphone 6 Pluses, 25% iPhone 5s, and 50% iphone 6... anyways I think the point is clear the S7/Edge is not the best selling phone.

Maybe best selling for the month? Quarter? A link to article would be nice.

You have to remember though. That's total iPhones, not one particular model.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I do not hate the Note 7. Why should I?
I just don't like some things about it. I wanted to point out what the potential problems are.

I think we're doing pretty dang good if the potential problems is that it opens an app a fraction of a second slower, or that it dropped a frame while scrolling in Chrome and NO ONE can tell unless they're straining their eyes to see it.

I call that a massive success.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I just didn't want to go through the trouble of finding the breakdown in their earnings report but didn't think I would have to...

40 million per quarter rough estimate x 4 = roughly 160 million iphones a year. Compared to estimated 25 million S7/S7 Edges for year?

Say 25% Iphone 6 Pluses, 25% iPhone 5s, and 50% iphone 6... anyways I think the point is clear the S7/Edge is not the best selling phone.

I read the earning reports, and I believe the SE performed really well. Better than they expected it to.

I mean I agree with you. The Note 7 won't be the best selling. I doubt it'll even be in the top 5 honestly.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Articles I read said that the s7 had been the year's best selling smart phone. Evidence now shows that it's even harder to keep the note 7 in stock than it was the s7.

--RICH

Point 1: The S7 I'm sure is the best selling Android flagship, but the vast majority of sales aren't flagships. There aren't any hard volumes of sales by SKU reported anywhere that I know of, but here's what we can figure out based on what Google releases here: https://developer.android.com/about/dashboards/index.html.

The S7 as an example, is considered a normal, xhdpi device. It is in a category that accounts for 15.5% of active android phones and that category also includes the S6, S6 Edge, S5, HTC 10, M9, M8, M7, etc, etc. Basically all phones with 3.5" to 5.2" (approximate) display with 480dp or higher, which would be flagships, the 1080p and 1440p devices. Technically it should fall into the "large" category because of the resolution, etc. The Note 7 is in a category that covers .5% of active devices. The Note 7's category includes devices like the Moto Z, Moto G4, Moto XPE, Nexus 6P, Nexus 6, Note 5, Note 4, OnePlus 3, etc, etc. Big, high res screens. Ironically, the S7 Edge is also in that category. So in general there are about 30 times more "normal" sized devices than large devices.

Obviously there are also many more kinds of non flagships than flagships, so using an a fortiori probability argument, we could say that 90% of those devices are not Samsung, which would account for the giants in China, where Samsung and Apple aren't competing as heavyweights yet. This would still leave a 3 to 1 ratio of S7 type devices to Note 7 type devices out in the wild. And the S7 has an advantage of having an additional 6 months of sales during the same calendar year, so 9 months at 3 vs 3 months at 1 means we should expect to see around 9 S7's sold in 2016 for every 1 Note 7 sold in 2016.

TLDR of point 1: And again, we're talking about 16% of total devices in the category that these two devices belong to. 84% of active devices are not in either category, so the real best selling device is approximately 5 times more likely to be in one of the other categories than to be in either category that the S7 and Note 7 exist in.

Point 2: Then there is the iPhone, which doesn't have a cheap market - they only sell flagships, though some are older than others. The iPhone accounts for approximately 13% of all phone sales. All Android flagships we established are approximately 16% of phone sales. Samsung accounts for 22% of all phone sales, across all their devices ... but their biggest area of growth so far this year was in their Galaxy A and Galaxy J phones - which are borderline flagships, but not really. Subtracting Apple's 13% from the top phone makers, leaves 87%. Samsung's 22% of the total represents about 25% of the remaining devices.

To again argue a fortiori, let's go ahead and double their 25% and say that they are actually selling 50% of flagships. That gives them 50% of the 16% that represents all flagships, or 8% of all phones might be Samsung Flagships. To the iPhone's 13%. We can approximate this as 5:3. So for every 3 Samsung flagships being sold, there are likely 5 iPhone flagships being sold in the same period. This means that if we give Samsung every benefit of the doubt as far as Android Flagship sales, they're still being outsold almost 2:1 by Apple on flagships. The remainder of Samsung's 22%, or roughly 14% of all devices, would be their lower end devices.

TLDR of Point 2: The strongest case for the probability of the best selling flagship smartphone being a Samsung device is approximately one third as likely as Apple having the best selling flagship. And this is only on flagships. As established in point 1, the probability of the Note 7 being the best selling Android device are seems to be between 1% and 4%, with the probability of any Samsung flagship being the best seller seems to cap out below 10%. Given the time observation in point 1, this would lend weight to the probability being 1% or lower, despite the healthy assumptions granted to the Note 7 and Samsung via a fortiori arguments in their favor.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Wow that got long, brief summary:

Any Android phone, odds are 5:1 against it being a flagship. Add in Apple and that number becomes 3:1 against any random phone being a flagship, or roughly 25% of phones become flagships.
Any random Android phone, odds are 3:1 against it being a Samsung. Add in Apple and it's 4:1.
Any random Samsung phone, odds are 3:2 against it being a flagship.
The S7 & Edge will have had 3 times as much time to establish sales by the end of 2016.

Long story short, if roughly 25% of phones are Samsungs and 40% of Samsung phones are flagships, then 10% of phones are Samsung flagships (I got to 8% via a different calculation earlier, giving Samsung their actual 22% rather than 25% and didn't include the S7 sales article previously). While 13% of phones are Apple flagships. So 20-25% of phones, at best, are the flagships of those two companies, meaning 75-80% of phones are not them. From a straight probability standpoint, the best selling individual phone is 3 to 4 times more likely to be in the 75-80% rather than the 20-25%.

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
Performance is only a portion of the total package. Just because a CPU can run a bazillion instructions per second doesn't mean it always should. Battery life, heat, and other considerations come into play. Things are adjusted to create the best outcome overall.

You can get a hell of a lot of horsepower in a 5.0 liter engine, but Ford chooses not to in their stock Mustangs for a multitude of reasons. Same principal.

On another note, if this is one of the hottest topics in the Note 7 boards it speaks a lot to the quality and overall customer satisfaction of the device. I don't see the usual spread of 'My new phone's doo dad isn't working correctly' type of threads that usually pop up in mass the week after a major launch.

Just my 2 cents

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
The S7 as an example, is considered a normal, xhdpi device. It is in a category that accounts for 15.5% of active android phones and that category also includes ....

Hey.... no one said there would be math.

Any-hew...

I wanted to say a few things about the piece. First, don't be offended if someone says something critical of a phone that you like. They aren't insulting you personally, they just have opinions.

Now, with XDA, his isn't some mickey-mouse site. The bulk of the custom Android development community still haunt those halls. Custom kernels, ROMs, mods, themes, root installs. They all coordinate and work on that site. Now, much of the problems that people run into there stem from entitled posters who think those same devs work for them and start demanding updates or feature changes, etc. And despite the headaches those problem children present, devs like Chainfire, Franciso Franco, et. al. still are active members of that community.

Their blog arm: yes, so they post articles that can sometimes get a rise out of people. But a site that posts boring, bland editorials and reprints, well, there's not much use. But XDA does have a perspective that's a lot different than a site like Android Central, but they are coming at things from the opposite angle. They are devs doing dev things and when they pick up a device like the Note 7, it frustrates them since Samsung has always been somewhat hostile and closed off from that community. So they pick up a beast of a phone that, from their point of view, has so much potential, and they see it sort of burdened down with some software deficiencies that the would love to fix... if given the chance.

So is the XDA piece a bit inflammatory? Sure.... Is what they found invalid? Well, other than the Hangouts stuff... Hangouts is broken on EVERYTHING... they are pointing out things that are not quite right. If you enjoy your Note 7, do these observations affect you? Nope... If you are a prospective buyer and frequent sites like XDA for information, could that article give you some information that you might want to know? I think so.

So, again, we can discuss the topic without resorting to dismissive insults or disruptive posts... we've already cleaned up the thread several times.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
And all THAT said. The Note 7 is still the first Samsung branded phone that I wanted.

Me too! I gave thought to the S7 Edge a couple different times, but never seriously considered it. When I saw the Black Onyx Note 7 online and read more about it I thought "This guy will be mine!".

RichBrown68

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I believe apple sold about 40 million iPhones in the last QUARTER. Reading an article, it said Samsung was on track to sell 25 Million S7/S7 Edges by the END OF YEAR. Huge difference between quarter and year. When you read an article and they mention best selling phone, they could be talking best selling Android phone.

They are having problems keeping the Note 7 in stock because they underestimated demand but imagine we're only talking in single digit millions which is nothing to sneeze at.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...K3h8GErYAIhKzoKVw&sig2=k1GT-o-gUptWeX9rOwbidA

--RICH

RichBrown68

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

Perhaps I should have clarified that in the us, it is. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...K3h8GErYAIhKzoKVw&sig2=k1GT-o-gUptWeX9rOwbidA

--RICH

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Rereading their article keep in mind they said, "Samsung’s components are still top-notch." :)

They just don't like touchwiz I guess and how over time known to get worse :-\

The article uses phones with the 820 only and not the Exynos. Wonder if they would make same claim on Exynos machines. Makes me wonder though and probably explained elsewhere... Samsung makes a ton of phones and most reviews I read the general concensus is that the Exynos processor performs better and more efficiently (better battery life) and even better audio component, how come they keep using Qualcomm processors and just ramp up and supply all their phones with Exynos? You'd think it'd be more cost effective. :confused:

That being said really too bad they couldn't have released the phone with the 830 chip and Nougat. That would have probably silenced a lot of people because the flagship phone should start out with the latest and greatest and then the underlings follow. But going forward I think the Note is brought in line with the S series and just from timing, the S/S Edge model 8 going forward will get the latest chipsets first like the 830 and the note 6 months later will follow with same.

Another thing that is too bad is that Samsung can't release updates to their Touchwiz throughout the year. As Google is able to update some services through play store periodically that sometimes breaks apps, and developers updates their apps, Touchwiz may end up getting buggy over time too. And the only time it may have a chance to correct them is a year later with the next OS which is too late IMO. The other manufacturers probably have the same problem too but Touchwiz is pretty deeply integrated with the OS due to their features like s-pen. They really need to be able to get away from carrier control and be able to push updates like iOS.

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, that's like the "Trump bounce" that candidates get after their week long conventions. ;)

Unfortunately that's limited to March, April and May of 2016 and only in the US. That time period happens to be the S7/S7E launch. We'd get the exact opposite results comparing the S6/S6E to the iPhone 6s/+ in Q4 of 2015.

TJA3500

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site
I believe apple sold about 40 million iPhones in the last QUARTER. Reading an article, it said Samsung was on track to sell 25 Million S7/S7 Edges by the END OF YEAR. Huge difference between quarter and year. When you read an article and they mention best selling phone, they could be talking best selling Android phone.

They are having problems keeping the Note 7 in stock because they underestimated demand but imagine we're only talking in single digit millions which is nothing to sneeze at.
Units sold according to Wikipedia

Samsung 154.5407 million
Apple 2.3 million

Samsung 199.1820 million
Apple 12 million

Samsung 235.7720 million
Apple 24.899

Samsung 281.0658 million
Apple 46.5983 million

Samsung 313.9042 million
Apple 89.2632

Samsung 384.6312 million
Apple 130.1332 million

Samsung 444.4442 million
Apple 150.7859 million

Samsung 392.546 million
Apple 191.426 million

Samsung 320.2197 million
Apple 225.8506 million

2016 Quarter 1
Samsung 81.1869 million
Apple 51.6295

2016 Quarter 2
Samsung 76.7435 million
Apple 44.3950

Looks like Apple has some catching up to do.
2015 is the closest Apple got Samsung.
2016 2nd Qr Samsung was almost double.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Totally pointless comparisons. It's like bashing a Corvette because it can't get the same mileage as a Prius.

I agree with the other posters: I've been using the Note 7 since launch and comparing to my previous phones, this is snappier and awesome to use (and the last one I had was the S7 Edge, and for some reason, with the same 'guts' inside, it still seems snappier). Would I compare to a Moto Z? Nope. Would I compare to an S7 Edge? Maybe. Would I compare to a Note 5? Yup.

Only thing I don't 'like' it's that it's a tad bulkier than the S7 Edge, so now it doesn't feel like you're holding a razor-thin phone anymore, but I guess that helps in terms of manageability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams