Xda-Developers paints a different picture of the Note 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

thegame161

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I have an HTC 10. Before that I had a Nexus 6P and before that an iPhone 6S Plus.

I love my HTC 10 and it is really a shame that it is not selling better (blame HTC for that).

This is the thing marketing is huge. On paper the iPhone may not seen anything special in terms of specs when you compare it with the comp but it's marketed so well people will buy it no matter what it has

HTC 10 is a great device and when I saw that one carrier in the US no longer sells the device is embarrassing. Sales is an issue for them which is why I have to wonder about their long term future.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
For the record, my Note7 is an Exynos variant. I wouldn't say it's lag-free, since all phones lag at some point, but so far, I haven't really experienced any serious performance issue. According to the article, the test was done on a Snapdragon-powered variant. Not deriding the 820 here, but it seems to be theme with Samsung devices, that the Exynos would perform better.

However, the only thing that's really bugging me is the keyboard lag in SwiftKey. It's terrible, especially for a fast-typer like me. Not sure if it's the phone or the keyboard, since the phone has performed quite well in other tasks.

I'm going to wait a bit for more Snapdragon Note7 users to share their experience, but my personal experience with my Exynos unit is alright.

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
The Note 7 Still Delivers Embarrassing Real-World Performance

I wonder why many publications, including Android Central do not mention these issues..

I wouldn't expect anything better from a Samsung device. Touchwiz is still a badly written software that makes Android look bloated and bad.
I only trust AnandTech and XDA. Both are less than impressed with the Note 7.

I wish that people stop listening to the marketing hype and stop supporting Samsung. There are so many devices out there that are better.

There aren't better phones on the planet than Samsung phones. They're the full package. You have to keep in mind that the Note 7 is using hardware that has been around for a while now and if you don't like the "lag", just switch to a different launcher. I'm using Microsoft's Arrow Launcher on my phone right now and love it.

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
There aren't better phones on the planet than Samsung phones. They're the full package. You have to keep in mind that the Note 7 is using hardware that has been around for a while now and if you don't like the "lag", just switch to a different launcher. I'm using Microsoft's Arrow Launcher on my phone right now and love it.
Just to clarify, my phone is the Note 5.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
He's not talking about the launcher. He's talking about the UX as a whole.

Launchers don't fix everything.

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I believe it has merit too.

I've noticed some stutter with animations on my Note 7 that I never had on my midrange $300 phone. Seems weird to me that Samsung can't figure this out. It's their own animations that are giving me problems. Not having any lags, crashes, or reboots which is obviously more important. I know I can turn the animations off, but I kinda like em. If they were smooth that is.

Are you using stock or a launcher? I use nova prime and don't see a log of lag, but on occasions I will see some hiccups or apps open slow. I don't know if that is on the phone or on the apps. I came from the iphone 6s plus and the note 5 and I think it is funny people say the iphone never has problems. It can get lag too, just not as bad or noticeable.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
It's amazing how many threads I have seen with the basic premise that "marketing makes them do it". Marketing can not turn a bad device into a good one, though way to many marketing teams have tried. Good marketing understand the needs in the market place, then tells a story about how the brand meets those needs. It creates a promise for their customers. If the brand cannot live up to the promise, the brand will fail. It is that simple. The fact that Samsung continues to grow its share demonstrates that their devices are meeting a large market need. Not all needs, to be sure, but clearly a large one.

A great case study of great marketing vs. bad product: New Coke. That product had a marketing budget behind it that was unrivaled, and marketing teams that are widely recognized as among the best period. No amount of marketing was able to save the product. They brought the original back and killed the new.

Every device, and I mean every device, is a balance. Everybody will put different weights on different parts of the experience, and our perception will be shaped by the overall experience. Folks that are biased towards speed specs and light weight OS will experience the Note differently than those with a bias towards a rich feature set. Samsung tells a feature story in their marketing, not a spec story. In fact, so much so, that Note die hards have complained about the lack of spec advancement from the S7. Samsung made a choice, one they believe will serve their targeted customers the best. Sales will determine if the Note 7 is a success, and repeat sales will let you know if Samsung continually delivers on customer needs.

I chose the Note 7, not becuase of marketing, but becuase I like the features it has. The Note 7 story does resonate with me, and so far, the Note has paid off its promises to me. I am very happy. I love the way it looks and feels in my hands, and I love the things I can do with the phone. If there are small hiccups on scrolling, I personlly can live with that.

Could Samsung devices be smoother? Probably. Could they do a better job coding? Probably. Is it what the MARKET is demanding? Doesn't seem so.

Jona005

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
having had several Samsung phones in the past, I was well aware of certain lag that occurs with these phones. Especially coming from a nexus 6p. That said, tweaking enough settings and using package disabler pro, I'm pleased with how my Note 7 is running.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
However, the only thing that's really bugging me is the keyboard lag in SwiftKey. It's terrible, especially for a fast-typer like me. Not sure if it's the phone or the keyboard, since the phone has performed quite well in other tasks.

I don't know if this is a problem with the Note 7. SwiftKey has been giving me fits for a while now on my 2014 Moto X. Lag, completely misinterpreting my movement, bizarre autocorrects that bear no resemblance to what I typed. Ugh. I'm close to ditching it, and I've been using it for years.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I don't think tech enthusiasts would buy a phone on marketing hype, but the general public will and does. Then you also have the carriers that push Samsung because it's generally an easy sell. I can't remember the last time I went into a carrier store that didn't push Samsung first. I've even had reps push Samsung on me even after they tell me that they use a different phone as their personal phone.

The only point I guess I'm trying to make is that Samsung has both marketing and the extreme push from carriers to help sell their devices. I have the Note 7 and I like it. Not trying to down Samsung or their users, as I am now one. No marketing involved though. The display, camera, and S-Pen pushed me to the Note.

There are millions of people who are followers, it's the reason companies use celebrities in advertising.
The OP in my opinion implied the only reason Samsung devices were popular is solely due to marketing and therefore people didn't realize Samsung devices were junk.
I don't care about anyone's opinion about Samsung, but I won't be called a sheep by anyone and just let it go, which is why I responded.

As for your remarks, on the rare occasion I walk into a carrier store I am bombarded with Apple pitches.

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
There are millions of people who are followers, it's the reason companies use celebrities in advertising.
The OP in my opinion implied the only reason Samsung devices were popular is solely due to marketing and therefore people didn't realize Samsung devices were junk.
I don't care about anyone's opinion about Samsung, but I won't be called a sheep by anyone and just let it go, which is why I responded.

As for your remarks, on the rare occasion I walk into a carrier store I am bombarded with Apple pitches.

I am not really implying anything. Samsung is succesfull for a number of reasons. Marketing is one of them. People that visit forums like this here do not fell for the marketing hype, but they are definitely influenced by tech reviews and videos. Many of them are part of Samsung's marketing.
Many are not.
I really think that a device so expensive should be at least as fast as a 400$ device. The fact that it isn't shows how badly optimized Samsungs software really is.

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
I am just bothered to see a company enjoy success when it does not really deserve it. Unfortunately nobody is paying me to speak negatively about Samsung. I wish somebody did though.
Samsung has some great technology, but their software is lame.
Anyway, I think it is important that people do not buy into the hype that many blogs are creating. I wish that tech publications were more objective. That's the only reason I posted that. I want that people understand what Samsung is really offering and not think that there is nothing else out there.
Everybody has his own opinion and that is good. This is just my opinion.

I think a lot of people who purchased the Note 7 are previous Note owners and have not bought into any hype, they are upgrading to a device that they are already familiar with and grown to love. That is the case for myself. I wish they had improved the battery a little more and faster processors but I've had my phone since last Thursday and have yet to have the battery below 30% when I go to put it on the charger at night so to date the battery isn't an issue for me but could be for power users. The phone is plenty fast for me and don't find it lagging too much, web pages seem slightly slow to load but nothing too bad. With the SD card being brought back and water resistance added I felt it was a decent upgrade to the Note 5, plus the black oynx is just stealthy looking.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Where was the marketing "hype" when the S5 And S6 didn't sell that well?

Samsung brought features that people wanted in 2016. It's really that simple.

ZOMMBIE1

Trusted Member
May 24, 2015
Visit site
I am a power user and would not even buy the note if it was as bad as this article says. The first few days are always a little slower than I like until I customize it and get it running how I like. I'm typing this and even watching YouTube at the same time and no lag at all.

Via the great NOTE 7..

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Are you using stock or a launcher? I use nova prime and don't see a log of lag, but on occasions I will see some hiccups or apps open slow. I don't know if that is on the phone or on the apps. I came from the iphone 6s plus and the note 5 and I think it is funny people say the iphone never has problems. It can get lag too, just not as bad or noticeable.
For now I'm using stock. I have Nova Prime, but haven't installed it yet on my Note 7. I like Samsung's animation and I like the launcher. I just don't like that sometimes it's kinda janky. I especially notice when I unlock my phone. The animation loading my home screen isn't very smooth. I haven't experienced what I would call lag yet. Just some stuttery animation. Just seems to me if samsung developed the launcher they could get their own animations smooth. Nothing I would return it over. Just an observation.

I honestly really do like the phone. Just a small blemish on an otherwise great device.

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Hmm well i seen that N7 memory management is poor, losing even to 3gb devices like 6P, S7 is slightly better but far from ideal.
Best ram management was on Note 5 with Arter97 kernel, nothing got reloaded unless you really open 3 heavy games in background.

Note 7 does seems to suffer from performance issues, though it seems it tied to specific conditions, let's see how it will go, might hold off it now.
My note 5 was slower than the note 7. I dont care what the benchmark says. For what I do and need I can say the note 7 has outdone my note 5. That's why real world beats out benchmarks.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Why would I care if my phone is milliseconds slower than the competition? The competition's phone will die if it falls in a puddle of water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol