Xda-Developers paints a different picture of the Note 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Can I hit everyone with a harsh reality here? One you don't want to hear, especially the ones that cling to brands like their mommy's leg.

There will never, ever be...a perfect phone. Even if such a unicorn did exist, why in earth would any company produce it and release it to the public. We're all perfectly content to spend hundreds of dollars on an semi-annual cycle to buy a device with beautiful compromises. Why would any OEM want to change that?

Have a nice life!

bmitchell1876

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I won't bother insulting you, it is your opinion.
However, i disagree with you. For me the note series has been a phone packed with lots of features, as opposed to stock android which lets the user pick and choose what they want to add.

I look at stock android like a race car, it has had all the extras removed, like air conditioning, radios, anything that causes the motor to work harder. Also any extra frills are removed to make the car lighter so it can go faster on the track.

Now take a car that has plenty of horsepower, but get tbe luxury model. You want the air conditioning, you want the trim, and nice seats. Its your daily driver and you want the options to make driving it more comfortable.
Now this car isnt going to do the quarter mile as fast as the race car, but you dont mind, its still fast enough to get you down the highway but your doing it in a more comfortable vehicle.

To me thats the difference in stock android and a phone like the note 7.

Who cares what its quarter mile time is, it still goes plenty fast!

Excellent way of describing my opinion on This topic

I own an Infiniti G35 instead of the Nissan 350z in real life

Posted via the Android Central App

bmitchell1876

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I am not gaining anything about it. Technology is my job and hobby at the same time, so I like to comment on technology topics. The Note 7 has had some really great reviews, and only judging by them someone would believe that this is the best smartphone ever, with almost no competition. I wanted to show that there is another side of the story, that most media companies hide from us. I still say, I wonder why!
I am not saying that the Note 7 is not a great phone overall. Nothing is perfect and I would like to have more objective tech reviews. I would also like a world where not only strong marketing is winning.
Other phones are also great, but people (I mean the majority of consumers), do not even bother with them. You go into a shop and you see Apple and Samsung booths. Everybody else does not even have a change.
As I wrote, the Note 7 is certainly a very good phone if you are ready to accept its software. People considering the Note 7 should also read the negative reviews. This is what this thread is about. My personal feelings against Samsung have really nothing to do with this thread. I am not a child and have no problem keeping my emotions out of such a discussion.

Fyi... Marketing works on the subconscious... And it Really really really works well

It's even got you spending hours of your time discussing a phone you don't even own... I mean why even talk it - it's because marketing REALLY REALLY works

If 1 plus wants to play with the big boys they will have to spend billions in advertising and in turn jack the prices of their phones up to offset the cost

Enjoy the fact that you realize this phenomenon and decide for yourself... Personally i bought into the hype and i LOVE THE NOTE 7 ! 2 Asian waitresses have already asked me about my new phone.... Haha just a side note but true

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
XDA Developers = OCD obsessed perfectionists looking for the perfect phone that will never come.

And Tech = Apple fanboys

I don't see how you can make a blanket statement like that without knowing each and every one of the 100's of developers. XDA is a great and useful website. And I may dare say that it is the most important website about Android when it comes down to it. It is easily the #1 resource on android that you will ever find. Anywho, who cares about one guy's opinion.

A lot of people don't like a lot of phones, oh well. My Nexus 6 is still kicking butt and runs as good and as fast as most out there, and it's perfect for me. I love custom roms and kernels and tinkering in general, and using a Nexus is perfect for this type of usage. Use what works for you.

rdcrds

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the really mature comment. Yes, I do not like Samsung but for a brief moment I considered buying the Note. I like its design and the display is amazing. I am used though in having lag free phones, and I also do not like bloat. This is why I didn't buy it.

Why are you spending so much on this forum and XDA in the Note 7 thread? If i did not like Samsung phones i would be in the forum of the phone i liked no?

You just seem to have a hard on putting Samsung down.

From a guy who has owned many a phone from htc phones to moto and my old phone was the Iphone 6 plus.

Now i have the Iphone 6 plus and the Note 7 side by side and it is not even close. The Note 7 in every way blows it away. My Son has the S model of the New Iphone and it is still not even close.

Do you work for some other company? or just a hate for Samsung? either way why waste all this time putting a phone down that people in here will make up there own mind weather to keep it or not. I like it. I wish Otterbox was out for it but it is something I LIKE and OTHERS make up there own mind.

Move on to your favorite phone line and be happy there.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I am just bothered to see a company enjoy success when it does not really deserve it. Unfortunately nobody is paying me to speak negatively about Samsung. I wish somebody did though.
Samsung has some great technology, but their software is lame.
Anyway, I think it is important that people do not buy into the hype that many blogs are creating. I wish that tech publications were more objective. That's the only reason I posted that. I want that people understand what Samsung is really offering and not think that there is nothing else out there.
Everybody has his own opinion and that is good. This is just my opinion.

In what world does Samsung not deserve their success? Name a better phone from top to bottom than the Note 7 right now. The HTC 10 isn't. The Nexus 6P isn't. I've probably used more devices than half the people who review them for a living and I wouldn't say the Note 7 lags. I'd say it isn't as smooth in some places, but I'll take that over the horrendous processing times in the Nexus camera app or the lag in the multitasking/app switcher (that may or may not have been fixed in Nougat. It wasn't in dev preview 5).

We see this every year. Owner of other device that's not nearly as popular gets angsty over the love/success that Samsung gets. Who cares? Enjoy your HTC 10, don't think too much about a company or a phone you don't intend to use, and call it a day.

Last edited:

dohlo

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Use what works for you.
And this, is the only thing that should matter to anyone with any smartphone.

When I was an Apple user, this was my mindset. Now that I've jumped ship for a couple years, I still feel this way. Marketing aside, if it works for you more power to you.

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Some yes -- and some no. Some go with what they know / friends know. Others choose on their own. To sit there and say everyone is basically just "following the leader" seems like a far reach IMO.
I shouldn't have said people. What I really meant was companies. Companies copy what the leaders do. Samsung/Android is the leader now.

audri5

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
Personally I don't think they advertise enough. I have had dozens of phones. All different makes and models and I love the note line above all others. Are there flaws sometimes? Yes! I will work around them or work them out because for me I couldn't get a better device.

TJA3500

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site
But none of those phones have the S Pen and that's what I need, the S Pen.
I don't have any performance issues with my Note 5 and it works well. I don't have any issues with it except I don't care for TouchWiz. That's why I use Nova Launcher.
As far as memory management, I close my apps when I'm done with them as I have no need to keep a multitude of apps running at the same time. If I do use two apps apps at once, such as using split window mode, it has no problems.
Note: Stock Android users may know what split window is unless they have Android N installed.

Last edited by a moderator:

PraetorianGuard14

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
I don't see how you can make a blanket statement like that without knowing each and every one of the 100's of developers. XDA is a great and useful website. And I may dare say that it is the most important website about Android when it comes down to it. It is easily the #1 resource on android that you will ever find. Anywho, who cares about one guy's opinion.

A lot of people don't like a lot of phones, oh well. My Nexus 6 is still kicking butt and runs as good and as fast as most out there, and it's perfect for me. I love custom roms and kernels and tinkering in general, and using a Nexus is perfect for this type of usage. Use what works for you.

I say it because it's true.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Galaxy Note 7 vs. iPhone 6 speed test video shows Apple’s still king | BGR

Galaxy Note 7 vs. Note 5 vs. S7: microSD speed test | BGR

The Note 7 Still Delivers Embarrassing Real-World Performance

According this article the Note 7 is suffering from some very noticeable software performance lag after some more extended usage compared to other SD820 devices.

Can any Note owners confirm this + state which SoC you're using (Snapdragon or Exynos)?

Potential buyer here interested in knowing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech