Xda-Developers paints a different picture of the Note 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

crystinonfire

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
The phone is plenty fast for me and don't find it lagging too much, web pages seem slightly slow to load but nothing too bad.

Which browser are you using? I switched from Chrome to the stock browser and I don't get the issues with laggy web pages and stuttering during scrolling anymore. I'd prefer to be able to use Chrome for syncing features, but I'd rather have a fast browser.

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
No. But if you want to talk about your claims then lets use data pertaining to YOUR claims...

You said "Articles I read said that the s7 had been the year's best selling smart phone."... and then YOU clarified it with a link "Samsung's Galaxy S7 is outselling Apple's iPhone 6S in the US." So exactly like I said... the current series, right? So that's why I said total sales numbers of ALL Samsung phones sold (all models) didn't apply.

Since I'm writing, you also said "There is reason to believe that the Note 7 will be the best selling phone of this year. It must suck for you to believe that everybody in the world is wrong and only you are right "...

You're wrong... the Note 7 will not be the best selling phone of THIS YEAR and I think I or someone else has chimed in with enough data to show you why that will not be the case... by a longshot. Especially since there are only 4 months left in the year.

Will the Note 7 be the considered the "BEST phone of the year?" IMO, It may be. That's why it's on the top my my buy list right now. ;)

Translated: however we can stack the numbers to make apple come out on top, that's what we're looking at.

--RICH

Last edited:

Makad

May 9, 2010
Visit site
The Note 7 Still Delivers Embarrassing Real-World Performance

I wonder why many publications, including Android Central do not mention these issues..

I wouldn't expect anything better from a Samsung device. Touchwiz is still a badly written software that makes Android look bloated and bad.
I only trust AnandTech and XDA. Both are less than impressed with the Note 7.

I wish that people stop listening to the marketing hype and stop supporting Samsung. There are so many devices out there that are better.

OK, what company are you with, or how many shares of company "X" do you own? Otherwise, why are you so bothered by what people you no nothing about, buy? Explain how you are Affected?

the real batman

Aug 15, 2016
Visit site
I am just bothered to see a company enjoy success when it does not really deserve it. Unfortunately nobody is paying me to speak negatively about Samsung. I wish somebody did though.
Samsung has some great technology, but their software is lame.
Anyway, I think it is important that people do not buy into the hype that many blogs are creating. I wish that tech publications were more objective. That's the only reason I posted that. I want that people understand what Samsung is really offering and not think that there is nothing else out there.
Everybody has his own opinion and that is good. This is just my opinion.
It's YOUR opinion that they don't deserve it. Obviously the millions of people buying and loving their devices disagree so on balance your statement is actually ridiculous. Obviously they deserve their success. If they didn't they'd have gone the way of HTC, Motorola or Blackberry. They haven't. People are smart enough to make their own decisions about what they like and what they enjoy and make their purchases accordingly. They don't need Captain Superiority to swoop down and save them. There's being helpful and then there's being obnoxious. This is the latter.

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
OK, what company are you with, or how many shares of company "X" do you own? Otherwise, why are you so bothered by what people you no nothing about, buy? Explain how you are Affected?

Who said that I am affected in any way? I love technology and I like to see companies that produce great products succeed. This is unfortunately not always the case.

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
It's YOUR opinion that they don't deserve it. Obviously the millions of people buying and loving their devices disagree so on balance your statement is actually ridiculous. Obviously they deserve their success. If they didn't they'd have gone the way of HTC, Motorola or Blackberry. They haven't. People are smart enough to make their own decisions about what they like and what they enjoy and make their purchases accordingly. They don't need Captain Superiority to swoop down and save them. There's being helpful and then there's being obnoxious. This is the latter.

Yes, it's my opinion. You have a different opinion. There is nothing wrong with that.
Normal people that would never read tech blogs do not really know what they are buying.

the real batman

Aug 15, 2016
Visit site
Yes, it's my opinion. You have a different opinion. There is nothing wrong with that.
Normal people that would never read tech blogs do not really know what they are buying.

Has it ever occurred to you that they don't need to? Everyone isn't a tech nerd. I'm not knocking being a tech nerd. I'm one myself. A lot of people don't care though. That doesn't mean they need someone to shepherd them towards every minute detail of the product they're buying. The vast majority of consumers are perfectly happy if their phone meets their basic and superficial needs and there's nothing wrong with that. If they're happy with their purchase then why try to ruin that for them?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Welcome back - let's please try to stay on topic, don't attack people, don't argue over dumb stuff and follow the PUPPAH guidelines. I have it on good authority that VDub2174 is reading this thread, so let's try to keep him calm. It makes me sad when he gets all riled up. :p

#FearTheV

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Opinion is part of perspective. The issue though seems that some of the "It lags!" people are being incredulous to those not having the problem.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Every phone has some lag. The Note 7 does slightly lag more frequently than my htc 10 on normal situations.

However I use my phone as navigation while fast charging in direct sunlight on my dash. In this scenario, the htc 10 battery got to 130°F after about 10 minutes and very very heavily throttled performance. The Note 7 in similar situation got to 105°F yesterday and lagged very little after this usage.

Personally I would rather deal with the slightly more lag on my note 7 in normal usage but doesn't overheat when being used as navigation.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Every phone has some lag. The Note 7 does slightly lag more frequently than my htc 10 on normal situations.

However I use my phone as navigation while fast charging in direct sunlight on my dash. In this scenario, the htc 10 battery got to 130°F after about 10 minutes and very very heavily throttled performance. The Note 7 in similar situation got to 105°F yesterday and lagged very little after this usage.

Personally I would rather deal with the slightly more lag on my note 7 in normal usage but doesn't overheat when being used as navigation.

Impressed so far with the Note 7 heat management. Setting to 1080p for navigation and gpu heavy games makes the N7 run even less warm. Coolest running Android device I have owned to date: G1, Droid, Incredible, Droid 2, Droid 3, Razr, S4, Note 4, MXPE and now Note 7. Definitely cooler running than my son's iPhone.

The MXPE runs hot with games.

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site

This is important to me since I am currently in the market to replace my aging GS4 running 5.0.1. I use my GS4 with Waze and Google Maps (sometime running concurrently) all the time. My GS/4 sometimes chokes on the load and crashes. It can take 3 to 5 seconds to change apps at times. There are times when I don't know if the phone registered the tap and is being slow to respond or if it missed the tap altogether. I call that pretty serious lag! And I often see messages telling me that Weather has stopped. Or that Nova Prime has stopped, etc. (but everything still seems to run normally even after those messages.). Go figure.

It would probably help if I did a FDR, but I see no point in doing that and spending all the time to reload and tweak my apps since I'm looking to upgrade the hardware anyway.

I'm tempted by the Note7.. and am waiting on the Marlin. But I am not a fan of the edge screen. I like to use a screen protector and case (and use a magnetic mount in my A/C vent). There are times when my phone gets knocked off the magnetic mount, so the screen protector is a must. From what I've seen thus far, screen protectors don't work very well with the edge displays and cases like the Speck CandyShell Grip or the Spigen cases.

Since I tend to buy and use a phone for several years, I'd like to stay with a flagship. I'd also like timely OS and security updates. My 3+ year old GS4 gets none of the above. OTOH, my wife's iPhone 5 (also 3+ years old) gets both OS and security updates. The only way I know to come close to that is go with Nexus and that is only good for 2 and 3 years for OS and security updates.

I don't have overheating issues in the summer with the phone on the magnetic mount in the AC vent. But cooler times of the year could be problematic if a phone tends to run hot.

My camera on the GS4 is so slow to open that I often miss spontaneous shots I like to take. The stock camera app often crashes when I rotate from portrait to landscape orientation. I want a fast and good, low-light camera! If Marlin doesn't impress me, I am considering looking at the iPhone 7. That thought causes a certain amount of angst because I have never been impressed by iOS. And yet I recognize why Apple keeps that walled garden locked down. I wish Android wasn't so fragmented and that the N7 would come out in a GPE edition (and with a flat screen to boot!). Dream on.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
My view, experience, that every device will need / benefit / see support from its OS improve and take months to see after it ships.

May even see hardware revisions make their way. A chance taken by early adopters.

Maybe something as small as predictive branching and use of memory. IBM once said just better compiler optimization psychological will yield 20% or more in performance.

N9thing written in stone or frozen.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
n. I like to use a screen protector and case (and use a magnetic mount in my A/C vent). There are times when my phone From what I've seen thus far, screen protectors don't work very well with the edge displays and cases like the Speck CandyShell Grip or the Spigen cases.

Fyi, the Speck Candyshell Grip Case provides virtually no protection on the s-pen corner. uploadfromtaptalk1472053078975.jpguploadfromtaptalk1472053097481.jpguploadfromtaptalk1472053115841.jpg

Todd Anthony1

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
*I am just bothered to see a company enjoy success when it does not really deserve it.*

Still laughing to myself over this comment on the first page.

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Fyi, the Speck Candyshell Grip Case provides virtually no protection on the s-pen corner.

Wow. Thanks for that. the CSG has been my favorite of many I've used on my GS4. It would appear that research into cases and screen protectors may be as involved as the phone itself!

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I saw this video review on the speck clear candyshell case for Note 7 and it looked like a terrible design where the speaker port hole wasn't even correct covering holes. I know yours is the grip case but wondering if that the same on yours? If so I would think this is a design flaw and would hope Speck redesigns their Note 7 cases because I have always liked the Candyshell as a solid protector on many phones. Maybe designed before they actually got a model in hand?

Fyi, the Speck Candyshell Grip Case provides virtually no protection on the s-pen corner. View attachment 236905View attachment 236906View attachment 236907

Status
Not open for further replies.