Moblie Data While on Phone Call

noisemaker

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
On Verizion, I noticed that when I make a call while using Waze, I get a dialog box informing me I will get no mobile data including email, text, Waze, etc, while on the phone call. Is there a setting I'm overlooking, or is this a new "feature"? This never happened on my Note 4. Help!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
re:

On Verizion, I noticed that when I make a call while using Waze, I get a dialog box informing me I will get no mobile data including email, text, Waze, etc, while on the phone call. Is there a setting I'm overlooking, or is this a new "feature"? This never happened on my Note 4. Help!

You will have to turn on "Advanced Calling" to make calls go over LTE (VoLTE a.k.a Voice-Over-LTE). This is the only way to have data and voice on the phone. Below is more of an explanation as to why this is.

If you are unable to use Voice & Data on a call this could be a CDMA limitation.
GSM Carriers (AT&T / T-Mobile) – Both can use voice and data at the same. Either on HSPA or on LTE (using VoLTE).
CDMA Carriers (Sprint / Verizon) – These carriers can only handle voice or data. Not both at the same time… Unless using VoLTE. Verizon currently has VoLTE whereas Sprint doesn’t. You may be asking – why is this? My old phone did this... which I am sure it did. A more detailed explanation is below.
[INFO]The older phones had two CDMA radios put in them (such as the S3 on Sprint). One dedicated to voice -- another dedicated to data. Therefore you could do voice and data. GSM has always been one radio because that one radio can do both tasks at the same time. They got around it on CDMA by simply adding another radio in there and dedicating each one to one task.
Now they're getting rid of that second CDMA radio. So therefore you can only use talk, or data -- not both at the same time. Now if you're using VoLTE for your calls it will allow voice and data since the call will be going through LTE (as data) so it is technically then all data which would bypass this restriction.[/INFO]

krisguy

VR Expert
Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
re:

This is a CDMA limitation. If you are connected to Wi-Fi while on basic CDMA, then the two streams work. If you are only on the carrier signal, you have to have VoLTE for simultaneous voice and data.

The only network that does it over carrier without VoLTE in the US is AT&T.

Posted via the Android Central App

noisemaker

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
re:

So this is a change from the Note 4? In the "Advanced Calling" setting, the first option "Activate Advanced Calling" is grayed out. Underneath it says "Service upgraded to HD Voice and Video Calling". The second option for "Advanced Calling" to turn on HD Voice and Video Calling" is on, and the third option "Activate Wi-Fi Calling" is off because I don't see how that will help me in a moving car. Is this something I need to contact Verizon about upgrading service and if so, does it cost more? Thanks.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
re:

So this is a change from the Note 4? In the "Advanced Calling" setting, the first option "Activate Advanced Calling" is grayed out. Underneath it says "Service upgraded to HD Voice and Video Calling". The second option for "Advanced Calling" to turn on HD Voice and Video Calling" is on, and the third option "Activate Wi-Fi Calling" is off because I don't see how that will help me in a moving car. Is this something I need to contact Verizon about upgrading service and if so, does it cost more? Thanks.

Yes -- the Note 4 had two radios to handle voice / data. The Note 7 only has one so required the call to go through VoLTE in order to work.

Advanced Calling is a feature you have to add to your account. You can do it through the site or give them a call. It is a $0.00 a month add-on.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I have NW 500 plan with unlimited data. If I use VoLTE does that mean my minutes can't be counted (since they are LTE data now)? If so do I run awry of VZW in other words is it OK to turn on advanced calling with my plan?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I have NW 500 plan with unlimited data. If I use VoLTE does that mean my minutes can't be counted (since they are LTE data now)? If so do I run awry of VZW in other words is it OK to turn on advanced calling with my plan?

Voice calls still count as minutes even through it goes through data. It does not touch a users data bucket. They know when the data is being used for voice.

Yes you can use VoLTE on your plan.