I think I found Samsung Cloud on the Verizon Note 7

vmmatty

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Looks like my backups are failing. I keep getting "Failed to backup Device Data. A server error has occured." This seems to happen during backup of the "Apps". I cna see other pieces backed up OK. I tried 5 times already and rebooted, etc. Hmm.

I just tried backing up my apps and it was successful. The display of how much space I'm using did not change so I don't fully understand what it backed up. When you click on the space you have available it shows you what is taking up space and all of the manual backup items aren't in there.

Maybe I just don't understand how this is supposed to work. I need someone with a Note 7 on another carrier to confirm the behavior of Samsung Cloud.

vmmatty

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Looks like my backups are failing. I keep getting "Failed to backup Device Data. A server error has occured." This seems to happen during backup of the "Apps". I cna see other pieces backed up OK. I tried 5 times already and rebooted, etc. Hmm.

I just tried backing up my apps, deleting one, and then restoring it. It successfully restored the app pretty quickly.

Do you have anything installed outside of the Play Store or the Galaxy Apps store? Maybe that's why it's choking?

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I just tried backing up my apps, deleting one, and then restoring it. It successfully restored the app pretty quickly.

Do you have anything installed outside of the Play Store or the Galaxy Apps store? Maybe that's why it's choking?

I think I have too many. I checked under storage and is says I have 16GB under "Applications". I bet that is the reason. Hmm. I wonder if there is a way to get more storage than 15gb

ctk4949

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Freaking verizon!! Leave OUR phone alone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vmmatty

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I think I have too many. I checked under storage and is says I have 16GB under "Applications". I bet that is the reason. Hmm. I wonder if there is a way to get more storage than 15gb

That might be it. I have 5.24GB of apps. How the heck do you have so much in apps? :)

I have to imagine at some point Samsung is going to let us buy more storage. I'd be hesitant to do it though because we're accessing Samsung Cloud with a workaround that could break at some point. I do like the ease and simplicity for reinstalling things like homescreen setups, settings on the phone, etc. I'd be inclined to use it just for that.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
That might be it. I have 5.24GB of apps. How the heck do you have so much in apps? :)

I have to imagine at some point Samsung is going to let us buy more storage. I'd be hesitant to do it though because we're accessing Samsung Cloud with a workaround that could break at some point. I do like the ease and simplicity for reinstalling things like homescreen setups, settings on the phone, etc. I'd be inclined to use it just for that.

Yeah, I can use Smart Switch to back everything up anyway. This would have been a nice addition though.

As for my 16GB of app? Well, I have lots of apps. The biggest storage hogs seem to be a few maps apps, and I did download some areas. I have a few playlists locally downloaded on GPM (maybe a GB or 2 there). Gonna try to clear some out and see it the backup works then.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I used QuickShortcutMaker to make the home screen shortcut. The added the shortcut as a Task in the Task Edge Panel. Doing this allowed me to delete the home screen shortcut.

Very nice!! Thanks to all!!!

Great idea! I added it to my Samsung folder because I haven't been leveraging the task edge panel but may just have to turn that on for this alone.

vmmatty

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Based on a screenshot from a Droid Life article, it looks like there still aren't some things we can back up with Samsung Cloud on Verizon. For example, I don't see an option to backup my Gallery on the Verizon version. Maybe it's crippled in some other way or they modified the Gallery application to prevent it from being backed up with Samsung Cloud.

Such garbage.

Here's the link: http://www.droid-life.com/2016/08/2...-example-carriers-interfering-no-good-reason/

wcupk

Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
i was just coming to ask if i could use samsung cloud to back up photos and videos. I don't see an option for it

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
And I'm another person getting an error message when I try to back up. I'm so annoyed with stuff that used to work stopping, and stuff that should work not being available. I know I should speak with my wallet, but come on Verizon and Samsung. Enough. (i.e. gripes w Samsung include the incorrectly working auto correct in their keyboard, the forced Samsung voice dictation in messaging and who knows where else, the gimped Samsung Notes...I'm even new to the Note series and find this cluster to be annoying and frustrating...2 apps to do what one app used to do?)

I digress...bottom line is that I thank the OP for this incredibly helpful information/tip...I just wish VZW and Samsung would stop this crap.

ETA: And now I've discovered that if I reboot my phone the stupid ringtone reverts to the VZW Airwaves tone. EVERY.SINGLE.TIME. I don't want to hear the freaking VZW Airwaves ringtone, I WANT the darn ringtone I set up in the settings menu.

WTH???

Last edited:

gvndeb60

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I have a basic Nova launcher (not pro). Can someone post step by step instructions of how to enable Samsung Cloud?
Press and hold home screen.
Select add widget.
Select add activity.
Scroll to Samsung Settings and Backup.
Select Samsung Cloud.
Shortcut will be on your home screen.
Profit.

RevLauren

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
This worked perfectly with QuickShortcutMaker, and eased some of my frustration with Verizon. It's just greed on their part, as if we don't pay enough for service. Thanks for the suggestion. It was easier than installing Nova.

Last edited:

mynameisnick4

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site
I don't understand why they would hide this. Only thing I can think of is to force people to use their own cloud service but that's still some BS if so.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2