I think I found Samsung Cloud on the Verizon Note 7

the real batman

Aug 15, 2016
Visit site
I did this just so I have the option of restoring when I exchange my phone this week. Just tested restore on my texts and it works. I'm hoping that restoring the home screen settings etc. won't cause my new device to lag so we'll see. It is absolutely despicable that we've got to go through all of these extra steps so Verizon can push their crappy alternative. The sad thing is that I think the time for Samsung to put their foot down and demand the same autonomy that Apple gets is gone now in the wake of the recall. They should have pushed for it while they were riding all that S7 momentum. Anyway thank you guys for this workaround, it's a nice option to have.

TheMiz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I am on the Samsung loaner ( G-S7 Edge) Where is the Samsung Cloud on the Edge ? I DL'd QuickShortCuts but can't find it.

WyDave

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for finding the hidden cloud.

I exchanged My Note7 for the S7E loaner.

So my question is, will this work to give us better control of the battery that Verizon blocked?

calicocat2010

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
So apparently that's not just Verizon. I'm on AT&T, and I tried out the OP's steps, and the user who said to Enable apps in PDP, turn OFF Auto Back up, Then do it manually. IT's working now, but oh man what a PITA! I'm going to forget to keep enabling PDP files before doing a backup.

*Update -- Nope not working. Keep getting the "failed to back up data" error message.

Panther6834

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
The cloud may be the reason the note 7 lags

Highly, highly unlikely. Samsung Cloud only performs automatic backups when the phone is connected to Wi-Fi, when the screen is off (or as "off" as it gets with Samsung's 'Always-On' function), and when the phone is charging for at least an hour. This article gives pretty close to all the info you need about it:
Samsung Cloud is Android device backup done right, launching with Galaxy Note7 and coming to S7 series

CHANx15

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Now we just need to find a way to fix the hideously unorganized settings menu and restore the RAM monitoring and management system... :-\

JPR45

Oct 3, 2016
Visit site
I used QuickShortcutMaker to do the same thing, works well so far, haven't had the need to restore yet, knock on wood.

Panther6834

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
*Update -- Nope not working. Keep getting the "failed to back up data" error message.

You can't do the "scheduled backup"...as you have discovered, that will always fail. When you first open the app, there's an upper section (labeled "Sync settings"), and a lower section (labeled "Backup and restore"). For the upper section, make sure all four options are turned 'on'. Next, tap the "three dots" icon, in upper-right corner, followed by "Network settings". In "Network settings", turn on 'All content', as this will allow backups to only be preformed via Wi-Fi (unless you have unlimited data, in which case it wouldn't matter). Next, back up to the app's main screen, and, in the lower (ie. "Backup and restore") section, click "Back up my data". On this screen, make sure "Auto back up" is turned OFF, followed by making sure all options ("Phone" through "Documents") are turned on. Lastly, click "BACK UP NOW". That's it...the backup will be preformed, albeit manually.

On your new phone, once you've created the shortcut, open the app, and, in the lower section, click "Restore". On the day the replacement Note 7s arrived at my local Verizon store, I performed a backup before leaving the house. Then, once I had the new Note 7 in hand, I connected to the store's Wi-Fi, downloaded/installed QuickShortcutMaker, created the icon, ran the 'restore' option, and, once completed, my phone was set up exactly as the 'defective' unit had been...well, almost...my custom ringtone sounds had to be reassigned, but everything else was set the same.

kikbxr1969

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
I am on the Samsung loaner ( G-S7 Edge) Where is the Samsung Cloud on the Edge ? I DL'd QuickShortCuts but can't find it.
I also have the S7 edge and can't find it. I have the QuickShortCuts app, but the only thing that looks remotely like it could be Samsung Cloud is the "Access Cloud"
Screenshot_20161103-101408.jpg

Panther6834

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
For those switching from the Note 7 to an S7, or S7 Edge, while it's true the S7 & S7 Edge don't have Samsung Cloud, there IS another way. Download, from Samsung's website, the PC/Mac version of Samsung Smart Switch, and install it. Next, back up everything from your Note 7 top a folder on your computer (I've done this a few times, and will do it one last time after Samsung calls me that my S7 Edge will be delivered). Then, once you have your S7, or S7 Edge, plug the new phone into your computer, start up Samsung Smart Switch, and restore to the new device. It functions, essentially, the same as the direct phone-to-phone version of Smart Switch, but gives you the added ability to keep a backup (or multiple backups) saved on your computer. If your Samsung phone ever has a problem, and has to be replaced, instead of having to reinstall everything, followed by the trouble of redoing all your settings, homescreens, and so forth, Samsung Smart Switch will save you hours of headaches. It's not the "perfect" solution...but, if we're being 'forced' into giving up our Note 7s (at least until the S8 & Note 8 are released, it's the next best solution.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49