I want to buy a Note 7 to replace both my S5 and my Nexus 7. It's obviously a fantastic phone. But is the screen big enough for a regular book reader?

Posted via the Android Central App
    08-22-2016 02:36 PM
    How big is big enough is something that is very subjective, depending on each person.

My suggestion would be for you to stop at a store and try out the Note 7 to see how well the size works for you with reading.
    08-22-2016 02:40 PM
    To me it is! But I'm horribly spoiled in owning a Kindle Paperwhite as well. The Note also has a blue light filter that would be much gentler on the eyes when reading as well!

Posted from the N7 Dolphin Tears™ on Big Red
    08-22-2016 02:41 PM
    I've checked in stores but in the UK they only have Notes 7s in demo mode and they don't have Kindle or Play Book apps installed.

Posted via the Android Central App
    bluegrizzlies1 likes this.
    08-22-2016 04:01 PM
    I've used my Note 7 for reading a couple times during lunch hour. Kindle is very decent (assuming it's straight fiction with no graphic components). You can increase the font size if needed on the Kindle as well. I only use google play books for "scanned" books that are highly graphical, so you can't increase the font size very well but you can zoom in/out as needed.
    The only thing I'm not sure is how visible the screen is for reading outside (with the brightness of the sun).
    08-22-2016 04:28 PM
    Works great for reading using the kindle app. I worried about this with the edge screen, but it's fine. I've read great chunks of books over the last few years on Notes 1,2,3,4 and now 7. Although I'll preferably use a 10" tablet for reading kindle at home, when I'm out or at work or traveling I'll use the Note and honestly if I'm enjoying the book I'll barely notice the screen size. With the settings in narrow and a smallish font (I wear reading specs) you get plenty of words per page. The contrast on the 7 sitting next to the 4 seems excellent.

Only extremely minor complaint is that it's a bit tricky tapping the top right corner for a bookmark. It was awkward on the 4 and trickier on the 7 with the edge. First world problems for sure :-)
    08-26-2016 05:19 AM

Only extremely minor complaint is that it's a bit tricky tapping the top right corner for a bookmark. It was awkward on the 4 and trickier on the 7 with the edge. First world problems for sure :-)
    Thanks for this very complete review of reading with the Note 7. Does the S-pen help with this minor detail?
    08-26-2016 06:39 AM
    Yes definitely much easier with S-pen. I tried rushing the process with S-pen first trying to assign about 10 bookmarks. Accuracy about 80-90%. Then tried with finger from free hand and accidentally turned page instead of making bookmark most of the time. Last tried with right thumb while holding in right hand and that's fairly haphazard. Slowing down improves accuracy with everything but the thumb. Of course if you have a more accurate touch than me or maybe skinnier fingers then not even an issue :-)
    08-26-2016 10:55 AM