Edge panel issues, should I keep my Note 5?

wirelessgal

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
Hey everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone else is having this issue. I have the S7 Edge and I just got the Note 7. Whenever I try to use the edge panel it doesn't register more than half of the time. It would launch one of my apps or my calendar widget I have set on my home screen. I tried it on a blank screen and it still requires a few swipes before the edge panel opens. I don't have this issue on my S7 Edge. I know the S7 Edge is a lot more sensitive and Samsung did tone it down a lot on the Note 7. I'm just wondering is this normal or do I have an issue with my phone?

Anyone else have or had the S7 Edge and got the Note 7 and have this issue?

Edit: I still have my Note 5 (Exynos) version that I plan on keeping. I recently made a claim from my insurance company and still have 3 more claims. As of last night it started to give me issues out of no where. It froze on me, it didn't save my S Notes and this morning it rebooted while I was using the phone. Should I make another claim or keep the Note 7? I can still return the Note 7.

*Please read my last few posts. I went off topic, which is why sort of changed the title.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Edge panel not responding half of the time. Help?

Works fine for me. Do you use a case? If so, try it without a case.

Thisistip

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site

I think it's because the edge is so minimal. It was easier to activate on my Note Edge.

wirelessgal

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site

Works fine for me. Do you use a case? If so, try it without a case.

I took my case off and it did work a bit better. I'm just using the Spigen Liquid crystal TPU case that barely has any protection. It's not covering the edge panel but maybe enough to cause it not to work properly. I don't know what to do.
Great phone. But I still have my S7 Edge and Note 5. Is it worth keeping the Note 7?

Thanks for your help.

wirelessgal

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site

I think it's because the edge is so minimal. It was easier to activate on my Note Edge.

I never owned the Note Edge because it was too big for my hands, but have read great things about it. At this point I'm not sure what to do. You can see my above post I still have the Note 5 and S7 Edge and I don't have any issues with either devices.

JeromeM

Jul 5, 2016
Visit site

For me as long as I swipe the edge where the little tab is for it, it works every time without issue.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I took my case off and it did work a bit better. I'm just using the Spigen Liquid crystal TPU case that barely has any protection. It's not covering the edge panel but maybe enough to cause it not to work properly. I don't know what to do.
Great phone. But I still have my S7 Edge and Note 5. Is it worth keeping the Note 7?

Thanks for your help.

Depends on your needs... 64gb internal plus nicer curve on the note 7 for me, and the s pen does come in handy sometimes.

The s7 edge is still a great phone though.

wirelessgal

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site

Depends on your needs... 64gb internal plus nicer curve on the note 7 for me, and the s pen does come in handy sometimes.

The s7 edge is still a great phone though.

I'm keeping my Note 5 which is still running Lollipop on and have no issues with. Very hard for me to let that phone go. The Note 7 is an excellent phone too. I love the improved S pen. S pen is still excellent on my Note 5. The S7 Edge size and weight wise is better for me as a daily driver because I have small hands.
I don't know. Tough decision. Love all 3 of them. I blame Samsung for making excellent phones. Lol.

bucky716

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site

Seems like it takes some practice to get it just right. Sort of annoying but at least it's not super sensitive and popping open every time a finger glances near it.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Seems like it takes some practice to get it just right. Sort of annoying but at least it's not super sensitive and popping open every time a finger glances near it.

Very true.

With that, I am trying to find the right spot to get it open right when I want it.

wirelessgal

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site

I still don't know if I'm going to keep the Note 7. I was hoping the Note 7 would replace my S7 edge as my daily driver. But the weight of the phone is hurting my hand and arm. I injured my hand from a car accident years ago. The S7 edge is the perfect weight and size for me as a daily driver.
I thought about keeping the Note 7 and just have the Note 5 as a backup. But when I compared the Note 5 and Note 7, there isn't a significant difference in performance. I have the Exynos version of the Note 5 and battery life is just as good as the Note 7 so far. I do like the improved S pen and USB type C. Edge panels not as good as the S7 edge.

Sorry guys, I know I'm going off topic from my original post. If anyone knows me from CB, Hofo, I always go off topic. Lol.

So, what would you do if you were me? Be gentle. :)

jamesrick80

May 31, 2010
Visit site

I still don't know if I'm going to keep the Note 7. I was hoping the Note 7 would replace my S7 edge as my daily driver. But the weight of the phone is hurting my hand and arm. I injured my hand from a car accident years ago. The S7 edge is the perfect weight and size for me as a daily driver.
I thought about keeping the Note 7 and just have the Note 5 as a backup. But when I compared the Note 5 and Note 7, there isn't a significant difference in performance. I have the Exynos version of the Note 5 and battery life is just as good as the Note 7 so far. I do like the improved S pen and USB type C. Edge panels not as good as the S7 edge.

Sorry guys, I know I'm going off topic from my original post. If anyone knows me from CB, Hofo, I always go off topic. Lol.

So, what would you do if you were me? Be gentle. :)
Use the Note 7 to work your hand muscles back into shape......

crystinonfire

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site

It works about half the time for me. I was thinking it had more to do with my screen protector than the phone, though.

crystinonfire

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site

The phone is seriously heavy. I was coming from a Note 5 and I literally had a cramp in my hand all night after the first day of Note 7 usage. I don't really think the N7 is that much better than the N5. In some cases it's actually less useful. But it's waterproof and I can put a huge SD card in it, so I'll take it. I have t-mobile jump on demand, so I can switch phones twice a year. If I get sick of this N7 they said I can switch back to a N5.

wirelessgal

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site

The phone is seriously heavy. I was coming from a Note 5 and I literally had a cramp in my hand all night after the first day of Note 7 usage. I don't really think the N7 is that much better than the N5. In some cases it's actually less useful. But it's waterproof and I can put a huge SD card in it, so I'll take it. I have t-mobile jump on demand, so I can switch phones twice a year. If I get sick of this N7 they said I can switch back to a N5.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. The N7 is more narrower than the N5 making it feel more heavier than the N5. I have a 64gb N5 and have plenty of storage left. I got the S7E because I always buy a new Samsung device every year. I bought the S7E because of the larger screen. I like the Edge screen and thought why not get the N7 because I love the Note series and the N7 offers the best of both worlds. But I can't handle the weight. It's a combination of the curved screen and weight. The N5 feels more comfortable to hold, IMO.

I'm not familiar with the T-Mobile jump on demand. If you switch back to your N5, do you just give back your N7?

Thanks for responding.

crystinonfire

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site

I'm not familiar with the T-Mobile jump on demand. If you switch back to your N5, do you just give back your N7?

I've now gotten (mostly) used to the weight of the N7, but I understand it could be difficult if you have an injury.

"Jump on demand" is basically like a lease. You can turn your phone in and get a new one up to twice a year. You just have to switch to a different device. It's pretty awesome. Although I always keep my phones, so it was pretty strange handing my N5 over to them. It doesn't cost anything extra either. I still don't understand how they can afford to do this. (Note: they also have a program called "jump" which does cost extra and is a worse deal. So if you're considering switching to T-Mobile to take advantage of this, make sure you're getting "jump on demand")

wirelessgal

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site

I've now gotten (mostly) used to the weight of the N7, but I understand it could be difficult if you have an injury.

"Jump on demand" is basically like a lease. You can turn your phone in and get a new one up to twice a year. You just have to switch to a different device. It's pretty awesome. Although I always keep my phones, so it was pretty strange handing my N5 over to them. It doesn't cost anything extra either. I still don't understand how they can afford to do this. (Note: they also have a program called "jump" which does cost extra and is a worse deal. So if you're considering switching to T-Mobile to take advantage of this, make sure you're getting "jump on demand")

That's great you're used to the weight of the N7 now.

I think I jinxed my N5. Everything was working fine. Now some of my notes aren't saving, it froze on me last night and it rebooted this morning as I was using it. I bought the Costco extended warranty and made a claim not too long ago. They sent me a brand new retail replacement, and everything was working fine up until last night. I don't know if I should make another claim already ($50 deductible) or just keep the N7 and use it on my N5 line. I have 2 lines, my second line is where my Note device will be used.

That's a really good program. Unfortunately I'm in Canada and don't have T-Mobile up here. We don't have any carrier up here that offers anything like that. With my carrier I can upgrade every month as long as I pay the remaining balance of my phone. I think that's pretty much like any carrier.

So if for some reason you wanted the N5 back, is there a time period of when you can get one? My carrier already stopped carrying the N5. I was surprised because not everyone can afford the N7 and my carrier still sells the S5 and S6 series.

crystinonfire

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site

That's great you're used to the weight of the N7 now.

I think I jinxed my N5. Everything was working fine. Now some of my notes aren't saving, it froze on me last night and it rebooted this morning as I was using it. I bought the Costco extended warranty and made a claim not too long ago. They sent me a brand new retail replacement, and everything was working fine up until last night. I don't know if I should make another claim already ($50 deductible) or just keep the N7 and use it on my N5 line. I have 2 lines, my second line is where my Note device will be used.

That's a really good program. Unfortunately I'm in Canada and don't have T-Mobile up here. We don't have any carrier up here that offers anything like that. With my carrier I can upgrade every month as long as I pay the remaining balance of my phone. I think that's pretty much like any carrier.

So if for some reason you wanted the N5 back, is there a time period of when you can get one? My carrier already stopped carrying the N5. I was surprised because not everyone can afford the N7 and my carrier still sells the S5 and S6 series.
Hmm, I'm not sure about that. T-Mobile is still selling the N5 online and probably will be for awhile. I could always switch to S7, too. But I'm getting more used to the N7 every day, so I think I'll be okay.