Really samsung? scratches already on my galaxy note 7

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Re: Really samsung scratches already on my galaxy note 7

I too am not impressed with the Scratch resistance if I remember correctly people are saying the back is a different glass and not gorilla glass 5 like the front ... I have never had scratches like this on any phone ever and this phone has been in a case since it was out of the box except for 3 hours while my screen protector was setting....
It's a pain for me to look at so I've ordered some slickwraps to cover the entire back
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160823/0ef807b9292dcbc05bd8967027439028.jpg
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160823/fe9b45d9f5a5e6b538b2603843ca0753.jpg
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160823/13da7f951c8ff7b50616a74c541edf6f.jpg
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160823/0fe9696d58d0c2037be092a6ee3ce9e1.jpg
You are not remembering correctly. GG5 on both sides.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site

My S4 had been to hell and back for two years with no screen protector. Not a single scratch to be found. Back then everyone on these boards complained constantly about the cheap plastic used for a flagship phone. Now we have slick gorgeous glass works of art that make us nervous wrecks because G-d forbid we sneeze mid-text we might end up with a cracked screen that may or may not be covered by Asurion, unless of course we had our super luxe, non-plastic phones covered up nice and snug in a thick, rugged, bulletproof PLASTIC case. We asked for glass so Samsung gave us glass. :)

Posted via the Android Central App

Precisely why I tell all of the complainers. Everyone fell for the "premium feel" garbage, now the phones are too fragile.

TJA3500

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site

Amazing that 6 months later and still no scratches on my S7 Edge.
I think that's the point the OP is trying to make. His other Samsung phones never had any scratches and he hasn't done anything differently this time.

irock1985

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site

I still kinda think that's a lie... http://bgr.com/2016/08/22/galaxy-note-7-vs-iphone-6s-vs-note-5/
Any one have scratches on the front?
None yet thankfully... reinforces what I said above.
Precisely why I tell all of the complainers. Everyone fell for the "premium feel" garbage, now the phones are too fragile.
I never thought it was good to have glass on the back especially since I'm a case guy and would never see it anyways... There was 1 old phone that had it right (can't remember the name) but its back and sides were 1 removable piece. So any blemish short of a screen crack could simply and easily be replaced. I'm still dreaming of the perfect phone but ar least this one is functioning pretty damn good...

Hoggles

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site

That's technically true, but for whatever reason, ever since Sammy went with the all glass design, the back is nearly always less durable in drop tests. GG4 N5, S6's, S7's as well. To the point where you can understand why people would think it's different. Or at least different thickness. Something....as it sure shatters quickly.

And back to the OP... It's quite obvious even at this early stage, that GG5 is much less scratch resistant that GG4. I've never had to use a screen protector on any of my other GG devices, going back to the S4. After years...not even a micro scratch. Natta. That "was" the beauty of Gorilla Glass. As long as you were somewhat careful...you never had to worry about scratches.

Having a screen protector on my N7 is a real bummer. Can't believe I'm saying this, as I love Sammy phones....but I may use another jump on demand quicker than I thought, to get the V20. Just hoping and praying it's not GG5 as well.

Two things I think we can all agree on, is that Sammy really needs to step up their game in regards to the home button and flash cover. Those are plastic...and there is no need for plastic covers, when everything else on their flagships are metal or glass.

Phone still flawless since day 1. I have a case but do not use screen protectors.

Report back in 2 months please. I wish you good luck! ;) For the first time ever, I'm nervous with a GG equipped device :(

magia21

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site

I don't have a Note 7, but I have seen several people on here with scratches on the front around the glass edges.

Hmm I have not seen anyone report, which is why I asked after watching that video. I'm screen protector less. And I'm in good shape so far

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Report back in 2 months please. I wish you good luck! For the first time ever, I'm nervous with a GG equipped device

I am sure I will be fine. The last screen I ever had a scratch on was the Note 3 but it was my fault and what I did to cause it was a dumb moment for me.

tinybfk

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site

Mines still perfect so far but I also realize that it's glass and will eventually get faint scratches. I haven't been particularly careful and don't use a screen protector. I had no case the first day then I had a cheap thin TPU case on until today and it had some fuzz or dirt under the edges when i removed it but my glass was still perfect. Now I just have a cheap Caseology Parallax case on and will not be getting a screen protector. I use my GS7E the same way but in a UAG case, no case for the first few weeks I had it, and it had the really light scratches you could only see in the right lighting while holding it at the right angle. Same thing with my iPhone 6 Plus except it just had the leather Apple case. I didn't baby any of them. The thing that irritates me is how easily the home button on my GS7E scratched. My iPhone 6 plus home button is still like new. Glass scratches. Glass cracks. It's all a luck of the draw on how it lands a lot of the time. It hasn't been long enough to give my opinion one way or the other about GG being stronger or weaker but I can say for sure that so far I have absolutely no blemishs.

Posted via the Android Central App

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

That's technically true, but for whatever reason, ever since Sammy went with the all glass design, the back is nearly always less durable in drop tests. GG4 N5, S6's, S7's as well. To the point where you can understand why people would think it's different. Or at least different thickness. Something....as it sure shatters quickly.

And back to the OP... It's quite obvious even at this early stage, that GG5 is much less scratch resistant that GG4. I've never had to use a screen protector on any of my other GG devices, going back to the S4. After years...not even a micro scratch. Natta. That "was" the beauty of Gorilla Glass. As long as you were somewhat careful...you never had to worry about scratches.

Having a screen protector on my N7 is a real bummer. Can't believe I'm saying this, as I love Sammy phones....but I may use another jump on demand quicker than I thought, to get the V20. Just hoping and praying it's not GG5 as well.

Two things I think we can all agree on, is that Sammy really needs to step up their game in regards to the home button and flash cover. Those are plastic...and there is no need for plastic covers, when everything else on their flagships are metal or glass.

Report back in 2 months please. I wish you good luck! ;) For the first time ever, I'm nervous with a GG equipped device :(

Why do they need to step it up on the Home button and flash cover? Are yours scratched to the point of not working properly?

Fundamentally I get what you're saying, having any plastic is "not premium", but has it really made a difference at all?

The highlighted part...the back wasn't the same kind of glass on the phones you mentioned (at least it was never said to be by Samsung). On the Note 7 it is. Making glass thicker is not the best way to make it shatter resistant, besides, we're talking about scratches and not shattering. :)

Hoggles

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site

I am sure I will be fine. The last screen I ever had a scratch on was the Note 3 but it was my fault and what I did to cause it was a dumb moment for me.

I hear ya. I've never had a scratch on GG. I used to be the guy that pleaded with all my other friends and family to remove their screen protectors, as it simply wasn't needed with Gorilla Glass. I'm just starting to be convinced that Corning sacrificed scratch resistance for slightly better shatter resistance this time around. Their "material transfer" claim is highly suspicious to say the least. You only need to look at GG3 & GG4 scratch tests to prove their theory 100% wrong.

Time will tell. Glad there are brave souls like you ;)

Why do they need to step it up on the Home button and flash cover? Are yours scratched to the point of not working properly?

Fundamentally I get what you're saying, having any plastic is "not premium", but has it really made a difference at all?

The highlighted part...the back wasn't the same kind of glass on the phones you mentioned (at least it was never said to be by Samsung). On the Note 7 it is. Making glass thicker is not the best way to make it shatter resistant, besides, we're talking about scratches and not shattering. :)

Because the home button and flash cover are plastic...it's always a little bit of a concern. Though it's never been an issue for me. It has been for some though, as we know. For sure...It's ok to expect a more premium material, such as several other manufactures have, covering those two areas. It would just be nice is all :) Extra protection.

Samsung and Corning do actually claim the back of the S6, N5 and S7's were indeed Gorilla Glass 4. Same as the front panel.

Here's the proof for the S6, S7'shttps://www.corning.com/gorillaglas...s-with-gorilla/samsung/samsung-galaxy-s6.html and.... https://www.corning.com/gorillaglas...h-gorilla/samsung/samsung-galaxy-s7-edge.html. Note 5 did too, though it didn't specifically say it on Corning's site. And bottom line is they are all universally weaker than the front panel. Both shattering and scratching tests.... For whatever reason. Kinda strange for sure. Be nice to know why is all :)

Make no mistake....I'm a loyal Sammy fan...owning the S2, S3, S4, Note5, S7e, now the N7. It's always good to question things. Even things you love :)

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2013
Visit site

Hmm I have not seen anyone report, which is why I asked after watching that video. I'm screen protector less. And I'm in good shape so far
I've seen reports of scratches on here caused by seemingly nothing, caused by cases, caused by drops, and a Note 7 that was scratched either from the factory or by the box.

DoyouFanBoyBro

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

It's made of glass. What do you expect?

Not even joking this is bar none the Worst community out of mobile websites I've been apart of . I'm talking about Android central . If I had a dollar for everytime someone makes a Legitimate post about a REAL android device flaw and see that post get flamed like the above? I'd be Donald trump rich . No joke

The phone scratches easily he's making a valid complaint . How about instead of smashing his complaint we band together as a community and batch these problems over to Samsung in a formal manner.

Nah that will never happen, we are too busy engaged in internal android fanboy Brand Civil wars .

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Not even joking this is bar none the Worst community out of mobile websites I've been apart of . I'm talking about Android central . If I had a dollar for everytime someone makes a Legitimate post about a REAL android device flaw and see that post get flamed like the above? I'd be Donald trump rich . No joke

The phone scratches easily he's making a valid complaint . How about instead of smashing his complaint we band together as a community and batch these problems over to Samsung in a formal manner.

Nah that will never happen, we are too busy engaged in internal android fanboy Brand Civil wars .
I think some people are of the opinion that it may not be a valid complaint and voicing that.

I've never had a phone that's glass on the back and I'm not sure I'd want one because of this risk.

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site

Amen Brother! I'm not one to get into word wars when ppl pick my arguments apart, much as my name might imply otherwise. But i too have been a member of this forum for donkey's years, and i have to 100% agree that it can be "excrutiatingly painful" to sometimes voice a concern on here if its NOT the most popular opinion. Usually i'll do it anyway, becuz USUALLY amidst the 99% of ppl who will have something sarcastic or critical to reply, they'll be that one guy who offers some useful advice... So to all you 1% ers's out there, thank you! lol

BTC

klee0032

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site

Amen Brother! I'm not one to get into word wars when ppl pick my arguments apart, much as my name might imply otherwise. But i too have been a member of this forum for donkey's years, and i have to 100% agree that it can be "excrutiatingly painful" to sometimes voice a concern on here if its NOT the most popular opinion. Usually i'll do it anyway, becuz USUALLY amidst the 99% of ppl who will have something sarcastic or critical to reply, they'll be that one guy who offers some useful advice... So to all you 1% ers's out there, thank you! lol

BTC

Yeah I just figured that out.. Ridiculous

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

I hear ya. I've never had a scratch on GG. I used to be the guy that pleaded with all my other friends and family to remove their screen protectors, as it simply wasn't needed with Gorilla Glass. I'm just starting to be convinced that Corning sacrificed scratch resistance for slightly better shatter resistance this time around. Their "material transfer" claim is highly suspicious to say the least. You only need to look at GG3 & GG4 scratch tests to prove their theory 100% wrong.

Time will tell. Glad there are brave souls like you ;)

Because the home button and flash cover are plastic...it's always a little bit of a concern. Though it's never been an issue for me. It has been for some though, as we know. For sure...It's ok to expect a more premium material, such as several other manufactures have, covering those two areas. It would just be nice is all :) Extra protection.

Samsung and Corning do actually claim the back of the S6, N5 and S7's were indeed Gorilla Glass 4. Same as the front panel.

Here's the proof for the S6, S7'shttps://www.corning.com/gorillaglas...s-with-gorilla/samsung/samsung-galaxy-s6.html and.... https://www.corning.com/gorillaglas...h-gorilla/samsung/samsung-galaxy-s7-edge.html. Note 5 did too, though it didn't specifically say it on Corning's site. And bottom line is they are all universally weaker than the front panel. Both shattering and scratching tests.... For whatever reason. Kinda strange for sure. Be nice to know why is all :)

Make no mistake....I'm a loyal Sammy fan...owning the S2, S3, S4, Note5, S7e, now the N7. It's always good to question things. Even things you love :)
Thanks for clarifying that for me. I had never looked it up myself to verify what I had heard.

Scott Currence

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site

I always put a zagg back protector on my phone's. Then into a case. I work in a body shop and dirt and grit gets between the case and phone a scratches any phone. Then tempered on the front.