Really samsung? scratches already on my galaxy note 7

irock1985

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
As far as the balance between scratch and drop protection I feel the softness was necessary for the sharp curve.. If they had went with a flat screen im sure it would have been much stronger and even if it wasn't there would be tempered glass to back it up.

B Posey

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
That's not true because I have had the S7 edge for 6 months and I have no scratches on it. GG4 is MUCH more scratch resistant than GG5. My Note 7 has a couple of ugly scratches on the display and I've only had it for 6 days. I didn't drop it or anything. I'm returning my Note7 tomorrow for sure.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Well... maybe in hindsight they tipped it a little bit in the wrong direction..

but...

What are some of the first videos getting posted when a phone drops? PHONE DROPS!! (har har)

Those silly drop tests burn up the youtubes as soon as a phone gets in peoples' hands. And if a phone shatters, ERMAGHERD!!!! PHONEZ BRAKE! and the videos get a TON of hits, blog posts, you name it. I remember a well-known podcast host lamenting about his S7 that shattered when it slid out of his pocket as he was sitting on the ground.

From a risk mitigation standpoint, GG5, if it is indeed more shatter-resistant, is the better option. Surface scratches typically do not affect operation, and they can be effectively eliminated by adding a screen protector. Whereas a shattered screen is pretty much toast...

So what are we left with here? You gotta wrap it before you tap it.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
That's not true because I have had the S7 edge for 6 months and I have no scratches on it. GG4 is MUCH more scratch resistant than GG5. My Note 7 has a couple of ugly scratches on the display and I've only had it for 6 days. I didn't drop it or anything. I'm returning my Note7 tomorrow for sure.

Do you keep your phone in your pocket? How might it gotten scratched?

Iva_LadyDiCaprio98

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
That's wrong according to Samsung and all reviewers I've seen review it. Same on both front and back

Maybe so but it is a weaker edition of the gg5. It doesn't have the same strength as the front being that the back is scratched easier and gets cracked first. Irregardless of what type of gorilla glass it is, glass is glass and glass will break and scratch. That's why these phones need to be in cases and the user should not be surprised that their phone scratched or cracked. Glass will break/scratch no matter how strong it is

Posted via the Android Central App

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
From a risk mitigation standpoint, GG5, if it is indeed more shatter-resistant, is the better option. Surface scratches typically do not affect operation, and they can be effectively eliminated by adding a screen protector. Whereas a shattered screen is pretty much toast...

So what are we left with here? You gotta wrap it before you tap it.

Lol you bring up a great point about risk mitigation. I would imagine that Assurion and the other insurance companies would say the top two reasons for claims are¦ Water damage, and glass breakage.

The Note 7 addresses both of them. Yes it may be more prone to scratches, but at the end of the day that beats not surviving a drop in the lake any day.

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
It's actually the micro scratching and "scuffs" that are going to happen regardless, if you don't have it wrapped. My silver n7 is beautiful but it looks like completed crap after I've held it for 5 minutes. I got a Spigen snap on, super thin "case" and I have iq shield on the front. There's no way around it.

yookwh

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
I want to give my input on this situation: got the phone yesterday. Never put it in my pocket or had it face down. Always held it when I used it. I check today and see a scratch that goes from the glass to the home button. Very disappointing. Will be stopping by t mobile to see if I can get a replacement

bmitchell1876

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
Gorilla5-gate is VERY REAL !!

I have many multiple Scratches on the front of my phone from putting it in my pocket... Have had a Note 3 without screen protector for over 2 years.. it's literally flawless

Tabbiel1989

May 9, 2014
Visit site
I'm returning my first one because less than 24 hours the back of my phone had a straight line of scratches going from one side to the other. I didn't drop, I treated like a baby. T-mobile said they'd take it back. I'm just scared they are going to give me a hard time and not refund my money. What's the hest way to go about it on the return form? It has been overheating as well.

Jul 5, 2016
Visit site
I'm returning my first one because less than 24 hours the back of my phone had a straight line of scratches going from one side to the other. I didn't drop, I treated like a baby. T-mobile said they'd take it back. I'm just scared they are going to give me a hard time and not refund my money. What's the hest way to go about it on the return form? It has been overheating as well.

That's terrible! I wonder how long Samsung can stay quiet? If a lot of people start returning their phones carriers will put pressure on as well.

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I have two big scratches on the front of my Note7. I still have my S7 edge and after 6 months, there is not a single scratch on it. This GG5 is more prone to scratches than all of Samsung's previous phones. I'm about to send my phone back to T-Mobile under "buyers remorse". I really like this phone but Sammy and Corning has dropped the ball with this bogus GG5!

Pics? Id like to see some users pictures of front screen scratches.
I had trouble pre-ordering, now other things have come up, so trying to get a feel for the Note 7.

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
For those with scratches, what color is your phone? Just curious if they are all the same color like Coral Blue and possibly an issue with the paint process. I've got a Onyx Black with a Spigen Neo Hybrid case and don't have any scratches on front or back. I'm a freak about my devices though, if I put them in a pocket, nothing else goes in that pocket.