09-20-2016 10:19 PM
202 1234 ...
tools
    I just don't UNDERSTAND why people don't put cases on their "investment".

Posted Via Galaxy Note Edge. Yea, the phone is perfect...

+1
    I can not imagine spending that much for a phone and not protect it. That's ludicrous.
    The title of the thread threw me off.
    "Defective screen from dropping"
    Lol
    Glass breaks.
    Shamshi-Adad and TwitchyPuppy like this.
    08-23-2016 06:43 PM
    I believe the most vulnerable component on a phone is the screen and should be treated as such. We enjoy thin, sleek devices but it comes at a cost.

Posted via the Android Central App
    TwitchyPuppy and Averix like this.
    08-23-2016 07:29 PM
    I can't even imagine someone who has never dropped a smart phone. I've dropped my n5 too many times to count.
    TwitchyPuppy likes this.
    08-23-2016 10:44 PM
    +1
    I can not imagine spending that much for a phone and not protect it. That's ludicrous.
    The title of the thread threw me off.
    "Defective screen from dropping"
    Lol
    Glass breaks.
    What does it mean protect it, imho for some people phone it's just a phone and it has been designed to use it "as is"... I need to admit that I'm using a cover for my note4 but I have never used any of the screen protectors and phone is just fine after almost 2years of use. I have also dropped it few times.

I would like to use phone as is, to show his design. Its all about money which we have to spend every time when we have to buy a new device.

Edit. Sorry for my English it's not my mother tongue.
    08-24-2016 12:13 AM
    Dropping any phone from waist high onto concrete will compromise the structural integrity of any phone's screen. This is why I've always had a case on my phone. I don't really know what people expect from Gorilla Glass, but it never once suggested it was indestructible. It's an $850 phone. If I had a wad of cash worth $850 I would at the very least have it in my wallet to protect it.
    To be fair, the gg5 ad does indeed suggest its indestructible, since a phone is dropped from head height and doesn't have a single nick or scratch. And along with the fact it is less scratch resistant, you'd think it wouldn't get damaged to this point with basically one drop.

But seriously, op went without a case and dropped his phone on concrete. Play with fire and you'll get burned eventually.
    TwitchyPuppy and mmohn01 like this.
    08-24-2016 05:03 AM
    Drops happen, but how many times does one drop a glass of water from the hand? I can't remember the last time I dropped a glass,
    If you handled a glass as much as your phone...you'd drop it.

My personal feelings are if you play you pay. Most of us wouldn't use a case given the choice, they add bulk and take away from the original design of the phone, but life happens. I'm too busy during my day do be mindful every single time I handle my phone. It gets dropped, period. I have a case, it saves it most of the time. Do I like it...no, but it beats going through the hassle of a repair or replacement.

In the end, I don't sit and stare at these things in awe and wonder, it's a tool and I wish they made them a bit more rugged, but until the market demands a tougher product they'll keep making "pretty" glass phones that break.
    08-24-2016 05:25 AM
    Something weird is going on and I don't think it's just chance on how the phone is dropped. Youtube videos are showing it survive a variety of heights, as well as people on different forums. Yet there are others who are saying its breaking in cupholders, pockets, and from drops on carpet.

I do not use a case, I haven't for any of my smartphones ever. Guilty as charged, I've only ever ruined phones by water damage though not drops. Ironically, my first waterproof phone is the first to be cracking like crazy. Dropped the note 7 from waist height getting out of my car the first day, small crack on bottom. I accept that. Kneeling down playing with my little sister over a laminate wood floor shattering the top? This is a 12-18 inch drop on a relatively soft surface. I think this new gorilla glass is producing variable quality. Maybe because of the curve? Not sure, but a phone with or without a case shattering from a 1ft drop on to a laminate wood floor isn't acceptable to me for a $850 phone.

I wish there was a camera recording my reaction. This wasn't one of those pickups where you dread flipping it over to look at screen. I picked it up not even checking glass to "What in the ****!? How is that even possible?!"
    So sorry to hear about your loss. Hopefully you have insurance and can get a new phone.

You will find tens of people posting how its your fault and you should have had a case on etc. Bottom line is I agree with you $900 phones should not be so fragile. I am not sold on this curved glass on front and back either. I am keenly interested in the Moto Z Force and its shatter proof displays. Even last year's LG V10 had a shatter proof display. That should be where the technology of smartphones moves next.
    cynth.hgn likes this.
    08-24-2016 05:46 AM
    I blame tech reviewers who went on the "doesn't have a premium feel" rant.
    I do think the LGV10 is the best of both worlds...premium and practical and that's why I still have it. It's just too bad the screen is so freakin dim.
    08-24-2016 06:09 AM
    Something weird is going on and I don't think it's just chance on how the phone is dropped. Youtube videos are showing it survive a variety of heights, as well as people on different forums. Yet there are others who are saying its breaking in cupholders, pockets, and from drops on carpet.

I do not use a case, I haven't for any of my smartphones ever. Guilty as charged, I've only ever ruined phones by water damage though not drops. Ironically, my first waterproof phone is the first to be cracking like crazy. Dropped the note 7 from waist height getting out of my car the first day, small crack on bottom. I accept that. Kneeling down playing with my little sister over a laminate wood floor shattering the top? This is a 12-18 inch drop on a relatively soft surface. I think this new gorilla glass is producing variable quality. Maybe because of the curve? Not sure, but a phone with or without a case shattering from a 1ft drop on to a laminate wood floor isn't acceptable to me for a $850 phone.

I wish there was a camera recording my reaction. This wasn't one of those pickups where you dread flipping it over to look at screen. I picked it up not even checking glass to "What in the ****!? How is that even possible?!"
    Phones were NOT MADE TO BE DROPPED.
    Choose your phone case by how much you can't hold on to things.
    08-24-2016 06:37 AM
    The Note line was never meant to be jewelry. It's a tool for the working pro and power user. Somewhere along the way the mission seem to have taken a turn.
    Exactly.

08-24-2016 06:58 AM
    If you handled a glass as much as your phone...you'd drop it. ....
    excellent point!

and i just posted this in another thread here very similar to this, but the point is the same. i TOTALLY get the OP's gripe....seems deceptive on the part of Corning...

and at the very least, if they were going to "change their formula to withstand more one type of abuse than another", couldn't they have included some kind of note on front that said: Attn Customer. Your Brand New Note 7 has been constructed with the very latest technology Gorilla Glass 5. Please be advised previous versions were designed to resist scratches better than drops. NOW it is the opposite."... Then, Note 7 users would be like, "whoa, good to know, i won't expect BETTER performance, maybe i'll HAVE to get some protection where i didn't have to WITH MY PAST 7 GALAXY PHONES!!!

May seem unrealistic for a mfg to do that, but these days with companies wanting to avoid ANY "gate" at the end of a feature in their product & with sooooo many ppl experiencing scratches where they have treated the phone EXACTLY as previous phones they have had, i think something should have been done to alert ppl. AND at least we would all of BEEN WARNED. The way they have marketed GG 5 seems a little disingenuous if your getting LESS scratch protection in a NEWER version. People just expect "newer" to be "better".. In this case, its just not & that just bites...

i feel for ALL those ppl who have scratched their brand new phone... It would kill me to the point i'd have to sell it, can't look at that for the next 6 months!

Sometimes i think this crowd would be so heartless if someone's newborn died in a car crash, they'd be like, "statistics say cars crash, what'd ya expect?!" (smh)

BTC
    08-24-2016 01:41 PM
    What exactly are you doing with your phone that you need to worry about scratching the screen.
    08-24-2016 02:19 PM
    So sorry to hear about your loss. Hopefully you have insurance and can get a new phone.

You will find tens of people posting how its your fault and you should have had a case on etc. Bottom line is I agree with you $900 phones should not be so fragile. I am not sold on this curved glass on front and back either. I am keenly interested in the Moto Z Force and its shatter proof displays. Even last year's LG V10 had a shatter proof display. That should be where the technology of smartphones moves next.
    New phone? He'll be lucky to get a refurbished phone
    08-24-2016 03:37 PM
    Today's technology is more fragile than we think it is. The phone is entirely made of glass and no matter what level of gorilla glass it is, it will still be susceptible to cracks. It's just how it is. Laws of physics and all that. Plus, the alight curve of the device does make it more prone to cracking. Don't look at these ridiculous videos and not expect your phone to break no matter what distance it falls to the ground. I spent a lot of money on my phone and I will not make a foolish mistake in leaving it exposed to take the risk of having it fall and break. They make slim cases that are clear where you can still show the color of your phone if you so choose. Today's phones are crazy expensive and it's even more expensive getting it fixed or getting a replacement if you don't have insurance. Don't be surprised that a phone made of glass breaks. That's just how it is. Physics explains it well. The force that hits the glass caused for it to crack. It can happen at 2 inches above ground or 2 feet. It just has to hit it right.

I have posted in another thread where I stated i would not be putting a case on my phone but after reading this thread I think I will. I have dropped my note 5 several times on concrete every which way you can think of (corners,flat on the screen etc...) while the design of the N7 makes you want to show it off. It is more likely to be damaged with no case than with one. Also the case makers seem to have had conversations with samsung cause they have a lot of clear ones to chose from. Which you can still show off the phone without having an ugly case on it
    08-24-2016 05:15 PM
    I have a feeling that this screen is going to be a problem. My phone has developed a hairline crack top left corner. I did not drop the phone nor did it suffer any kind of impact. I am trying to get this phone replaced by Rogers but no luck so far. They pretty much looked at me with their yaaaaa right face. I do carry the phone in my pocket but I don't see how that could of caused an issue. I have never put a case on any phone I have ever owned. I find them bulky and ugly (no offense, just my personal taste)

Anyways I have a 4 day old, 1000$ phone with a cracked screen.
    08-24-2016 09:18 PM

Not definitive... but I think along with drop video show else where... i'm pretty convinced the phone is at where the glass curves is weaker and most likely below gg5 advertised numbers more likely to crack than a phone with a completely flat glass.

Worse part is not just worrying about protecting front but because glass is symmetric/just as curved in back gotta worry about back cracking. Not surprising but once cracked, the whole integrity is compromised and it cracked like candy glass next drop.

I'd call it brittle at the edges I would definitely get a case with decent coverage on corners and slight lip over the edges. My opinion though.
    badMojo69 likes this.
    08-24-2016 09:45 PM
    In his defence. There is another post of a guy that dropped his and cracked the screen, and he had a UAG case on it
    08-24-2016 10:15 PM
    "once cracked, the whole integrity is compromised" This + 10000
    08-24-2016 10:19 PM
    I hate that happened to you but I hope you'll go out and buy a case. You can buy cases that are "barely there". My Spigen Hybrid (barely there) cases have saved my S5 and S7 many times! Just last night while walking my dog, another one of our dogs spotted us (I was trying to be quiet) and came running full blast right towards us. One hand was holding a leash and the other, my phone. Without thinking, I hauled off and tried to smack the wild dog before he knocked both of us over like bowling pins :o S7 was catapulted thru the air and landed on the concrete drive. I have dropped-hurled-thrown this poor phone more in 4 months than I did my S5 in two years. I just knew it was a goner this time but there wasn't a scratch or den or chip on it. To be on the move with a (mobile) device in one's hand most of the day and not think it can meet up with the floor at some point, seems a bit overly confident :o
    08-24-2016 11:10 PM
    As beautiful as this phone is I care to keep it a long time and caring for it is a priority to me. I have ins but I am careful. Always a case and screen protector. So it may hide it. I don't care. Bottom line is I want it working and not broke

Posted using Note7
    08-24-2016 11:18 PM
    In your case the S7 and S5 were flat glass right? Without the curve, the glass will be stronger in it's frame over a phone where the glass has more exposure at it's edges. It just means these phones will require a bit more extra care.

I hate that happened to you but I hope you'll go out and buy a case. You can buy cases that are "barely there". My Spigen Hybrid (barely there) cases have saved my S5 and S7 many times! Just last night while walking my dog, another one of our dogs spotted us (I was trying to be quiet) and came running full blast right towards us. One hand was holding a leash and the other, my phone. Without thinking, I hauled off and tried to smack the wild dog before he knocked both of us over like bowling pins :o S7 was catapulted thru the air and landed on the concrete drive. I have dropped-hurled-thrown this poor phone more in 4 months than I did my S5 in two years. I just knew it was a goner this time but there wasn't a scratch or den or chip on it. To be on the move with a (mobile) device in one's hand most of the day and not think it can meet up with the floor at some point, seems a bit overly confident :o
    08-25-2016 10:29 AM
    Corning's new Gorilla Glass 5 is meant to survive epic smartphone drops | The Verge

"What will define the performance of the overall device on those types of corner drops is stiffness of the phone design, but also how the glass is packaged," Bayne said. Much of this is dependent on what's known as the "proudness" of the glass, which refers to how high above the phone the glass sits. "If it sits up really high, we call that a proud design. If it's protected by the bezel of the design then, it's - not proud. So if you have a device that has a proud design, that one wouldn't perform as well as one that had a different design."
    08-25-2016 10:33 AM
    I blame tech reviewers who went on the "doesn't have a premium feel" rant.
    I do think the LGV10 is the best of both worlds...premium and practical and that's why I still have it. It's just too bad the screen is so freakin dim.
    It definitely wasn't just tech reviewers. Consumers all complained about the "cheap plastic feel" of Samsung phones for a long time so -- they changed. Now they did and are being yelled at for that. Samsung is in a damned if they do damned if they don't situation.
    Averix likes this.
    08-25-2016 10:46 AM
    It definitely wasn't just tech reviewers. Consumers all complained about the "cheap plastic feel" of Samsung phones for a long time so -- they changed. Now they did and are being yelled at for that. Samsung is in a damned if they do damned if they don't situation.
    Right, not "just" the tech reviewers, but they are the most vocal. Heck go out now and pretty much the first 2-3 sentences out of a tech reviews mouth is "Feels premium". We live in a world of form vs function and now we're paying the price. LG has the right idea, but their execution sucks.

By the way I'd bet you if they re-released the GN4 with updated specs and android nugget it would out sell the N7 by miles.
    I'd give my N7 up in a hartbeat if LG would just get their screen tech up to par. It's just too dim.
    08-25-2016 08:57 PM
    If so many people are so unhappy with their Note 7.
    You have time , right now to return it before your 14 days are up.
    You do not have to keep it if you are so unhappy with it.
    Averix and Iva_LadyDiCaprio98 like this.
    08-25-2016 09:09 PM
202 1234 ...