09-20-2016 10:19 PM
202 ... 34567 ...
tools
  1. wirelessgal's Avatar
    They screen, especially the corner, is very, very exposed.

    Had Samsung offered a flat screen, I would have taken that. I realized no case would really protect the screen if you want to use the edge, when I picked it up.
    I totally agree. Samsung should've offered a flat screen and curved screen just like they did with the Note 4 series. IMO, it was a bad idea to not have a flat screen Note 7 variant.
    08-30-2016 04:22 PM
  2. toenail_flicker's Avatar
    ~Almost forgot. My Note 7 fell off my gun safe. Close to a 6 foot fall with a thinner case on to laminate flooring and came out unscathed. It landed on the corner then bounced and landed face down. I had a flash of reading horror stories thinking it for sure would be cracked. Picked it up and looked it over. Not a scratch.~

    Holy merde! I would have had a heart attack.
    Viscomi4444 likes this.
    08-30-2016 04:27 PM
  3. Strong_Genetics's Avatar
    Also corning gave the 1.6 meters rating with a 80% success rate.. And we all know when you drop your phone it's a roll of the dice if it breaks..... 80% is pretty good and on these forums there are probably 10 devices that have broken and countless that have fallen and survived that we never hear about
    MsBlingberry likes this.
    08-30-2016 04:35 PM
  4. Kelly Kearns's Avatar
    Frankly I think some people expect too much from this phone. Samsung and Corning never promised indestructible glass. It. Is. Glass. Glass breaks, period. Crystal is beautiful and expensive but still fragile. We cried for premium feel phones and moaned endlessly about tacky plastic. Now we have glass and we expect it to be indestructible because it's GG5 and expensive? Really folks!
    And for those comparing it to their older notes, were they made of all glass?
    Let's be realistic please. You have a beautiful, expensive phone made of glass. Protect it or be very careful with it. This is not rocket science!

    Posted via my awesome N4
    I was happy with the polycarbonate.. I warned this would happen, glass or metal and metal dents horribly.

    But nooooo.. The phone has to look like jewelry. This is the price to pay.
    08-30-2016 04:39 PM
  5. anon(27512)'s Avatar
    I know drops are bound to happen, but on the first day and twice already? That's either really bad luck or just being careless.
    A lot of people think these phones are super durable and they aren't. They SHOULD be for the amount of money paid, but that's another topic. The more stories I read like this, the more careful I tend to become. I see people just flat out abuse their phones. I have on a few occasions, thrown my Note5 onto my bed, just to toss the TN remote in the same area a few minutes later, while hitting my phone screen. Just from that experience alone and the horror stories I have been hearing about the fragility of this screen, I will probably no longer be doing that. Why risk it?
    See I disagree. I shouldn't have to baby my phone.

    I do, because I value my things and always take care of them and protect them but if what the op and others are saying about this phone is true, this is ridiculous. Braking in a cup holder is insanity. I'm wondering if i should return it. I love the phone but if it's that fragile I don't know if I want to keep it and become a victim.
    08-30-2016 04:48 PM
  6. Strong_Genetics's Avatar
    I was happy with the polycarbonate.. I warned this would happen, glass or metal and metal dents horribly.

    But nooooo.. The phone has to look like jewelry. This is the price to pay.
    My note 2 was a tank.... Had it for 3 years and it fell down many flights of stairs lol
    08-30-2016 04:48 PM
  7. Nakrohtap's Avatar
    I would be happy with a back like the LG V10 or a Moto Droid Turbo. Something carbon or rubberized would be fine with me. Just put a flat strong glass on the front.
    I think part of the issue is phones didn't used to be made of glass and people were used to treating it a certain way. Once the design changed to glass, people are slow to adapt. It's just about treating it a lot more carefully than your previous phones.
    Sure, accidents will happen. I've noticed the same people with cracked iPhone screens over the years and others that still look brand new. People need to learn new behaviors.
    MsBlingberry likes this.
    08-30-2016 04:52 PM
  8. Kelly Kearns's Avatar
    My note 2 was a tank.... Had it for 3 years and it fell down many flights of stairs lol
    Oddly, my Note 2 was the only screen I ever broke. Dropped it on my driveway and it hit on the corner. Dropped my Note 5 in the same place, also caseless, not a scratch or crack on the glass. It did scratch the metal strip above the spen.
    08-30-2016 04:53 PM
  9. MsBlingberry's Avatar
    I was happy with the polycarbonate.. I warned this would happen, glass or metal and metal dents horribly.

    But nooooo.. The phone has to look like jewelry. This is the price to pay.
    Thank you. I was happy with it too but the moaners had their way and this is the result. Let's deal with it.

    Posted via my awesome N4
    Kelly Kearns likes this.
    08-30-2016 05:18 PM
  10. badMojo69's Avatar
    The lgv10 build quality is terrible..i have one on my other line where the back cover is peeling off and the front glass cracked after a less than 2 feet drop on some rocks within 2 weeks of use.....
    Too bad about the screen, but the back is simple to replace...snap off snap on. Never had a case on mine and doesn't feel like it needs one.
    08-30-2016 05:29 PM
  11. badMojo69's Avatar
    Frankly I think some people expect too much from this phone. Samsung and Corning never promised indestructible glass. It. Is. Glass. Glass breaks, period. Crystal is beautiful and expensive but still fragile. We cried for premium feel phones and moaned endlessly about tacky plastic. Now we have glass and we expect it to be indestructible because it's GG5 and expensive? Really folks!
    And for those comparing it to their older notes, were they made of all glass?
    Let's be realistic please. You have a beautiful, expensive phone made of glass. Protect it or be very careful with it. This is not rocket science!

    Posted via my awesome N4
    I agree, but GG5 does appear to be less durable than GG4 or it's just the manufacturing process isn't as good. Every thing I've seen about the N7 is if the phone hits on the weak point (the back curve) it's toast. Good news is that the back only cost $20 and can be replaced by the user and couple of plastic cards and a heat gun aka hair dryer.
    08-30-2016 05:33 PM
  12. Kelly Kearns's Avatar
    I agree, but GG5 does appear to be less durable than GG4 or it's just the manufacturing process isn't as good. Every thing I've seen about the N7 is if the phone hits on the weak point (the back curve) it's toast. Good news is that the back only cost $20 and can be replaced by the user and couple of plastic cards and a heat gun aka hair dryer.
    You really can't compare an elevated screen with a corner to a flat screen. Even the S6 Edge is not the same as the Note 7 screen.

    What we are seeing is anecdotal and that has never been proof of anything in any situation. There are so many variables present when dropping a phone.
    08-30-2016 05:39 PM
  13. MikezDroid's Avatar
    Scratch resistant goriila 5 is not crack resistant.
    08-30-2016 05:46 PM
  14. Iva_LadyDiCaprio98's Avatar
    Frankly I think some people expect too much from this phone. Samsung and Corning never promised indestructible glass. It. Is. Glass. Glass breaks, period. Crystal is beautiful and expensive but still fragile. We cried for premium feel phones and moaned endlessly about tacky plastic. Now we have glass and we expect it to be indestructible because it's GG5 and expensive? Really folks!
    And for those comparing it to their older notes, were they made of all glass?
    Let's be realistic please. You have a beautiful, expensive phone made of glass. Protect it or be very careful with it. This is not rocket science!

    Posted via my awesome N4
    Exactly!!! For years everyone was complaining about cheap plastic, and now that they got premium glass - and it's made of glass for the purpose of wireless charging, mind you - everyone loses their **** when their phone breaks because it falls. Glass will break regardless what type of glass it is. Anyone else noticed in the drop tests that even though the screen did crack on the note 7, the digitizer was still in tact and the screen worked after being dropped over 50 times, whereas in the iPhone that they tested with, the screen no longer worked after a few drops in. I have the s7e and my phone is entirely made of glass. I don't care if samsung proclaims that this will outlive a five foot drop, glass will break because it's fragile. No matter if it's gorilla glass 50 - it will still break. It is our job as the owners to make sure that we protect our devices. Don't like cases? Then take the risk of breaking your phone because it won't be at anyone's fault except yours. At the end of the day, it's hard to please every consumer. At least there are options out there for every person so they are not forced to buy only one brand of phone.
    08-30-2016 06:22 PM
  15. Jewels81's Avatar
    Frankly I think some people expect too much from this phone. Samsung and Corning never promised indestructible glass. It. Is. Glass. Glass breaks, period. Crystal is beautiful and expensive but still fragile. We cried for premium feel phones and moaned endlessly about tacky plastic. Now we have glass and we expect it to be indestructible because it's GG5 and expensive? Really folks!
    And for those comparing it to their older notes, were they made of all glass?
    Let's be realistic please. You have a beautiful, expensive phone made of glass. Protect it or be very careful with it. This is not rocket science!

    Posted via my awesome N4
    ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜Š
    08-30-2016 06:30 PM
  16. donm527's Avatar
    I don't expect indestructable glass... but I would expect a more robust glass than we are currently seeing in some examples of the N7. I do not want to hear like in one of the review videos how a friend with a Note 7 took it out of his pocket and found it was cracked. In his pocket?!
    Samsung has had a couple of years of edged glass so I expect them to have more experience with it too. And I'll be honest and say I don't know about the other previous phones but I don't think I've heard fragility issues with phones like the Note Edge or S7E like we are with the N7.

    I haven't written off the N7 as a hopelessly fragile phone due to a too ambitious design. I'm just waiting to see if it is an issue and if so it's an issue with the glass they can make changes in future batches. maybe an 0.1 of a mm thicker at the curves or change in forming method to not weaken the temper of the glass... or something. Or maybe we'll see it is more durable than these few examples that have popped up and feel comfortable enough to buy. But right now I am in a hold pattern.

    Frankly I think some people expect too much from this phone. Samsung and Corning never promised indestructible glass. It. Is. Glass. Glass breaks, period. Crystal is beautiful and expensive but still fragile. We cried for premium feel phones and moaned endlessly about tacky plastic. Now we have glass and we expect it to be indestructible because it's GG5 and expensive? Really folks!
    And for those comparing it to their older notes, were they made of all glass?
    Let's be realistic please. You have a beautiful, expensive phone made of glass. Protect it or be very careful with it. This is not rocket science!

    Posted via my awesome N4
    08-30-2016 06:58 PM
  17. Kelly Kearns's Avatar
    I don't expect indestructable glass... but I would expect a more robust glass than we are currently seeing in some examples of the N7. I do not want to hear like in one of the review videos how a friend with a Note 7 took it out of his pocket and found it was cracked. In his pocket?!
    How do we know that a friend simply took it out of his pocket and nothing else was done?

    The issue isn't how robust the glass is, it is the exposed screen, because it is glass, a breakable material.
    08-30-2016 07:23 PM
  18. dpham00's Avatar
    You really can't compare an elevated screen with a corner to a flat screen. Even the S6 Edge is not the same as the Note 7 screen.

    What we are seeing is anecdotal and that has never been proof of anything in any situation. There are so many variables present when dropping a phone.
    This could impact the ip68 rating
    08-30-2016 07:24 PM
  19. Kelly Kearns's Avatar
    This could impact the ip68 rating
    From what I've seen, I think everything is probably sealed underneath, but I'm not positive about that.
    08-30-2016 07:32 PM
  20. HotHatchinaVW's Avatar
    Im pretty happy so far with my note 7. Dropped once (so far) with no scratches or anything. This is the six galaxy device ive owned and my first note series phone. Definitely better then the galaxies I've had in the past
    08-30-2016 07:49 PM
  21. badMojo69's Avatar
    You really can't compare an elevated screen with a corner to a flat screen. Even the S6 Edge is not the same as the Note 7 screen.

    What we are seeing is anecdotal and that has never been proof of anything in any situation. There are so many variables present when dropping a phone.
    I did post a link to a video where this guy took a knife to the back edge "not pun intended" and it just shattered at every point he hit it.
    Same thing done with the S7E and nothing. There are also several other videos where people have shown cracks on the phone and they are always on the bottom back corner (impact point).

    Don't get me wrong I'm keeping mine. It's just the 1st phone I have ever...ever felt has to be in a case. And I never drop my phone....and you know just because I said that I'm going to drop it.
    08-30-2016 08:23 PM
  22. badMojo69's Avatar
    I'd rather the back be plastic or some type of self healing rubber. Glass sucks...there I said it. :P
    08-30-2016 08:24 PM
  23. Viscomi4444's Avatar
    Here is a pic of my coworkers Note 7 just mentioned. He had his phone in a Caseology Envoy Series case. 3 Feet!! Not 1.5 meters like Corning says and tries to emphasize in their videos of the girl dropping the phone at 1.5 doing a selfie into concrete.

    I have definitely put my plan to buy on hold cause and see over time if more reports start coming up of cracks under short drops. Right now my opinion is the glass is way too weak at the curves

    http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r...psapqeud4n.jpg
    GG never said it would be 100% protected from a five foot drop. They said there's an 80% chance from a five foot drop. I dont get what people dont understand. Just because a few people screens cracked does not mean GG is wrong. There's a 20% chance that it'll crack. It all about luck.
    08-30-2016 08:26 PM
  24. Torm558's Avatar
    Spigen rugged armor on mine. Taken a few tumbles to the ground by a few feet and not a mark. This case is military drop tested. Very light and thin with air cushions in each corner.

    Also got this phone launch day. No screen protector and zero scratches
    Viscomi4444 likes this.
    08-30-2016 08:31 PM
  25. donm527's Avatar
    That only applies to GG5 from Corning untouched. Seems as though all bets are off if you manipulate it. I'm thinking it's > 20% now.

    Cracked! Samsung's Galaxy Note 7 mysteriously fractured in my bag - CNET

    "You'd think that makes the Note 7's screen the "best," but there's a catch. Corning's claim applies to the glass on its own, not to products that have altered it, as a curved screen does, Corning told CNET at its Gorilla Glass 5 launch in June. Fragile corners are especially susceptible to damage, inherent drop-resistance or no. If the Note 7 lands flat on its face, that screen is tough to break, like we showed in our drop test video. But better watch those edges!"

    GG never said it would be 100% protected from a five foot drop. They said there's an 80% chance from a five foot drop. I dont get what people dont understand. Just because a few people screens cracked does not mean GG is wrong. There's a 20% chance that it'll crack. It all about luck.
    08-30-2016 08:37 PM
202 ... 34567 ...

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-30-2016, 02:24 AM
  2. When will the Note 7 get Android Nougat?
    By Snappy Phoenix in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 7
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 08-27-2016, 02:09 PM
  3. Red vertical line on right side of screen
    By AC Question in forum Samsung Galaxy S7 edge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-23-2016, 07:35 AM
  4. Spotify vs note 7?!?
    By 21538940075 in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 7
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-23-2016, 06:53 AM
  5. note 5 problem
    By Sandrot in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 5
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-23-2016, 05:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD