09-20-2016 10:19 PM
202 ... 45678 ...
tools
    Hopefully the Note 8 will have a plain-Jane flat version.
    toenail_flicker likes this.
    08-30-2016 08:42 PM
    Those edges being vulnerable would apply to any glass, not just GG5.
    08-30-2016 08:46 PM
    The issue is in the design. I think much depends on how the impact or force is concentrated. The sharp curve of the glass means that any impact on an edge or corner is taking the full force of a blow over a very small surface area. A flat screen phone does not have this problem. A gentle curve like the Note Edge certainly has less of an issue. The sharper the curve the worse the issues. Samsung should know this and perhaps done more testing. You can see this in some of the reviews for shatter testing. In one I watched a guy takes a knife to the back of the phone. All is fine with moderate taping, until he hits the edge and it instantly cracks. You have the full concentration of force in the knifes edge meeting the edge of the glass. He then turns the phone over and takes a 2lb sledge hammer to the face of the glass. It holds up amazingly well, but he never hit those edges.

One poster mentions that his wife's phone feel of a moving car with a Caseology case on it. I have that case and it has nice soft rubber inside a light plastic frame. I think this is a good design for this phone. It needs a good amount of shock absorbtion to disperse those impact forces away from the vulnerable edges.

Anthony

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk
    08-30-2016 08:57 PM
    I did post a link to a video where this guy took a knife to the back edge "not pun intended" and it just shattered at every point he hit it.
    Same thing done with the S7E and nothing. There are also several other videos where people have shown cracks on the phone and they are always on the bottom back corner (impact point).

Don't get me wrong I'm keeping mine. It's just the 1st phone I have ever...ever felt has to be in a case. And I never drop my phone....and you know just because I said that I'm going to drop it.
    But it is still not a controlled test, that is the point.

Testing to determine something is defective has to be done in controlled environments, just like testing for medical drugs.
    08-30-2016 09:04 PM
    The more I think about it, the more I feel Samsung should give every pre order customer free Protection Plus. Perhaps they will offer this as time goes buy and they see the issues in such a design.

toenail_flicker likes this.
    08-30-2016 09:18 PM
    I know and I never said it was controlled, but it was real. I dont think I'll ever be taking a knife to my phone anytime soon though.
    shaleem likes this.
    08-30-2016 09:20 PM
    Samsung should know this and perhaps done more testing.
    I have a theory. Samsung wants the devices to break so that they'll make more money along with the carriers.

ETA - why else would you make a curved screen and a glass back?
    Remy Newlander likes this.
    08-30-2016 09:48 PM
    Do people forget why Samsung did things like glass backs and curved screens? It was to make it feel more "premium" and less iPhone. For years, people bitched about how the phone didn't feel "premium" in the hand in comparing it to the iPhone. I never had a problem with it, but even a lot of fans kept moaning about how they didn't like the plastic feel. Well, people got what they wanted - a premium feel at the cost of a more vulnerable phone. No one complains about it not feeling premium anymore, but no one complained about the back of the Note 4 being scratched either.

High price tag does not and has never equaled indestructible. As the phones get more elegant, they become more vulnerable. In my opinion, as phones have been made more 'premium', they have also become more vulnerable - and when they do things like use improved glass or other things to make the premium phone more sturdy - it's just merely an attempt at making it as sturdy as the old non-premium looking phones. Every time a new phone comes out, there is always talk about Gorilla Glass version X and whether not a case is needed. If you never used a case before, you won't now - and if you've always used a case, you will now - so I think there is way too much concentration on the Gorilla Glass and not enough concentration on how to handle phones and how not to handle it more carelessly just because it has Gorilla Glass 25 or something.

As I finish this, I realize I am not sure what I am trying to say other than Samsung was forced into producing these types of premium phones by the people, the media, and those who were more concerned more about form over function. We need to do what we feel is necessary to protect and care for our phones.
    08-30-2016 11:19 PM
    I don't know... I'm not really buying the premium argument...

Look at the ZTE Axom 7, the One Plus 3... $400 and "premium" materials. I saw a vid of the Axom 7 bare frame and attempts to bend... that's a huge chunk of aluminum. What was premium... anything going away from plastic... is now becoming the norm and there are benefits to a good design in a stronger phone.

Even though using glass on both sides is going to increase the chances of cracking the glass... I still think the design is doable and could be stronger. I'm still thinking its a manufacturing issue that can be resolved.

iPhone 8 is rumored to be all glass. No one is going to give them a pass if they crack any easier because it's glass and they know it. It will be interesting to see how they do it. I heard of a possible sapphire type material.
    08-31-2016 07:39 AM
    Sapphire will crack. Watch crystals are made of sapphire all the time and they crack. Glass cracks guys, it just does.
    08-31-2016 07:44 AM
    Yes that is a given. I have a watch with sapphire glass and cracked. I misspoke... I meant to say... DIAMOND! Yeah, diamond glass. 800 times stronger than gorilla glass! I just want it to survive a 3 foot drop WITH a case on as well as my iPhone 6 right now. Can't be too much to ask.

iPhone: Diamond glass might be stronger than Corning Glass 5 | BGR

Sapphire will crack. Watch crystals are made of sapphire all the time and they crack. Glass cracks guys, it just does.
    08-31-2016 07:51 AM
    Sapphire doesn't make for a very good phone screen... for several reasons:

1) it is brutally difficult and expensive to manufacture a display out of the stuff. Apple dumped like $500M into a company that makes the stuff and it was a total fiasco.

2) Sapphire 'glass' is pretty poor optically, so displays would have to be cranked to much higher light levels to be the same perceived brightness.

3) While it is extremely resistant to scratching, it is also extremely brittle and shatters far more easily than glass, especially when you make it into a large, thin surface.

Now, it does have some applications.. like a watchface or to cover the camera module. But as a phone display? It's a dead end.
    08-31-2016 07:53 AM
    Yes that is a given. I have a watch with sapphire glass and cracked. I misspoke... I meant to say... DIAMOND! Yeah, diamond glass. 800 times stronger than gorilla glass! I just want it to survive a 3 foot drop WITH a case on as well as my iPhone 6 right now. Can't be too much to ask.

iPhone: Diamond glass might be stronger than Corning Glass 5 | BGR
    Your phones vulnerability is the design, it has an exposed screen.

Artificial diamond glass.. It is glass, it isn't unbreakable.
    08-31-2016 07:58 AM
    Curves and thin glass do not mix. The device is a crack magnet and is my main issue with the device. Even if you want to protect it, you can't since the curve sticks out with cases. No practical way to protect it unless you cover the curve. It sadly is what it is.
    Kelly Kearns likes this.
    08-31-2016 07:58 AM
    The issue is in the design. I think much depends on how the impact or force is concentrated. The sharp curve of the glass means that any impact on an edge or corner is taking the full force of a blow over a very small surface area. A flat screen phone does not have this problem. A gentle curve like the Note Edge certainly has less of an issue. The sharper the curve the worse the issues. Samsung should know this and perhaps done more testing. You can see this in some of the reviews for shatter testing. In one I watched a guy takes a knife to the back of the phone. All is fine with moderate taping, until he hits the edge and it instantly cracks. You have the full concentration of force in the knifes edge meeting the edge of the glass. He then turns the phone over and takes a 2lb sledge hammer to the face of the glass. It holds up amazingly well, but he never hit those edges.

One poster mentions that his wife's phone feel of a moving car with a Caseology case on it. I have that case and it has nice soft rubber inside a light plastic frame. I think this is a good design for this phone. It needs a good amount of shock absorbtion to disperse those impact forces away from the vulnerable edges.

Anthony

Still the curves are exposed, so no bezel protection like with flat displays.
    08-31-2016 08:03 AM
    I don't know... I'm not really buying the premium argument...

Look at the ZTE Axom 7, the One Plus 3... $400 and "premium" materials. I saw a vid of the Axom 7 bare frame and attempts to bend... that's a huge chunk of aluminum. What was premium... anything going away from plastic... is now becoming the norm and there are benefits to a good design in a stronger phone.

Even though using glass on both sides is going to increase the chances of cracking the glass... I still think the design is doable and could be stronger. I'm still thinking its a manufacturing issue that can be resolved.

iPhone 8 is rumored to be all glass. No one is going to give them a pass if they crack any easier because it's glass and they know it. It will be interesting to see how they do it. I heard of a possible sapphire type material.
    Samsung can easily make a aluminium back phone...but then u won't have wireless charging...then again people will complain...there are always people who are not happy with change...still note 4 people not happy that note 7 doesn't have removable battery...so different people different needs...iam very happy with my S7 edge...i drop it once flat on the screen from around waist height and i was sure screen cracked..but to my luck it dint...but even if it did it would me my fault...thou iam not careless with my phones or electronics...
    It's like buying the sports car..banging it and saying car got dents ...if u are a person who is careless with their phones...then putting on a case is a must...i once dropped my lumia 1020 in the gym flat on the screen on a wooden floor and my screen cracked...luckily that is the only screen i have cracked in my life...i dint blame nokia for it...its my fault i dropped..sometimes it your luck..i have dropped my s7 edge many time but it was in a transparent slim case. Thou i have insured my phone coz it expensive

Posted via Limited Edition Lumia 950 with Mozo Case or Beautiful Gold S7 Edge or Surface pro 4 or Lumia 1020 or motoe or iphone 5s
    08-31-2016 03:58 PM
    my wifes broke in the upper right hand corner from a 1 foot drop dont buy this phone
    08-31-2016 05:44 PM
    I ordered this case, since seems best compromise for protection and size. My physics knowledge approves. FWIW... Has stand too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01IN...cUvbUpU5382444
    08-31-2016 05:51 PM
    I think if'n I was prone to dropping a Phone, I would find the best protection case for it.
    Even if its the Thick Otterbox case.

Just so its protected.
    dcooper830 likes this.
    08-31-2016 05:58 PM
    Sapphire doesn't make for a very good phone screen... for several reasons:

1) it is brutally difficult and expensive to manufacture a display out of the stuff. Apple dumped like $500M into a company that makes the stuff and it was a total fiasco.

2) Sapphire 'glass' is pretty poor optically, so displays would have to be cranked to much higher light levels to be the same perceived brightness.

3) While it is extremely resistant to scratching, it is also extremely brittle and shatters far more easily than glass, especially when you make it into a large, thin surface.

Now, it does have some applications.. like a watchface or to cover the camera module. But as a phone display? It's a dead end.
    Sapphire is by no means brittle.
    08-31-2016 06:48 PM
    Sapphire is by no means brittle.
    Sapphire is by no means indestructible, especially when you are talking about a large phone screen.

The key.. It is glass, glass is breakable.
    08-31-2016 06:54 PM
    Sapphire is by no means indestructible, especially when you are talking about a large phone screen.

The key.. It is glass, glass is breakable.
    Did not say it was unbreakable. Just pointed out the fact that sapphire is not brittle.
    08-31-2016 06:59 PM

Well there you go...sorry I don't mean to sound unsympathetic but you make a great point, it's an $850 phone...spend another $30 and protect it.
    08-31-2016 07:09 PM
    Did not say it was unbreakable. Just pointed out the fact that sapphire is not brittle.
    Sapphire is not cost effective for making the needed anamorphic material that has the optics needed. It also is not immune to breaking. Thin glass breaks. It is what it is.
    Kelly Kearns likes this.
    08-31-2016 07:24 PM
    Sapphire is not cost effective for making the needed anamorphic material that has the optics needed. It also is not immune to breaking. Thin glass breaks. It is what it is.
    Yes it does break. I have replaced sapphire watch crystals before.
    08-31-2016 07:29 PM
202 ... 45678 ...