09-20-2016 10:19 PM
202 ... 56789
tools
    This is the case iam using on my S7 edge ..its hybrid with kick stand slim and has military standard for dropNote 7 Has A Screen Defect (phone cracked after being dropped)-downloadfile.jpg

Posted via Limited Edition Lumia 950 with Mozo Case or Beautiful Gold S7 Edge or Surface pro 4 or Lumia 1020 or motoe or iphone 5s
    dcooper830 likes this.
    08-31-2016 08:25 PM
    I am not looking for or expecting indestructable phone or an indestructable screen. What I am hoping for is that, if I am going to spend $900 on an awesome phone with an awesome design and features... I want to be confident in the design and construction and materials used that I feel confident that I can spend $900 barring a real dumb accident it should last me a couple of years. A phone I don't have to be worried about and baby it. If Samsung designs a curved glass screen and packages it in a $900 phone, I really do expect it to be able to take a light tumble in hopes that I can get lucky with one or two and last me a couple of years. Premium materials and $900 doesn't mean I have to accept it's going to be weaker than others.

I had a 4S I bought new and put it in a case and normal daily usage and maybe a slip of two out of hand while standing or in the car and no problem. I sold it to a friend that is still using it to this day and hasn't cracked. A glass phone that sticks out from the frame edges exposed. Gorilla glass... TWO maybe? I want it to last like that with GG5.

I want to like this phone so much I can accept if the edges may cause a little more concern over a flush mounted screen... but come on... people are posting drops 3 foot drops using a full case, one person said drop from one foot (omg!). My friend that I know has a full caseology case and it couldnt take an accidental push off a desk at 3 feet. Man that's just too brittle if all true.

Besides the normal 9-to-5 work, I like to run 20+ miles a week and keep my phone in a belt pouch, run a marathon or two a year, some 5ks, go skiing in the winters, hiked in the Canadian Rockies this past summer. Mountain bike occasionally with my phone bouncing around in my cargo pant pocket. Never Never had a phone break or mess up a screen with average care. Any of my iPhone 1, 3gs , 4s, Nexus 4, G2, G3, iPhone 6.

I'm still hoping that it's just a manufacturing issue... overheated glass when forming and they make adjustments during production... something i hope. Because I really want to try this out. But I don't want to buy this phone right now and worry it won't last a couple of years. I can't afford to buy a new phone all the time. I'm concerned that the curved part of the screen may just crack under normal use from accumulated pressure over time. It sounds that brittle.

Sapphire is by no means indestructible, especially when you are talking about a large phone screen.

The key.. It is glass, glass is breakable.
    08-31-2016 09:02 PM
    It is an exposed screen made of glass.

Exposed glass is subject to breaking, that is why cases have a lip. Corning even commented on this, it is called a proud display.

I'm not sure why people think exposed glass won't break.
    Remy Newlander likes this.
    08-31-2016 09:04 PM
    They can demonstrate a full front flat drop from 4-5 feet and have a decent chance of survival... maybe the 80% rating as advertised. I know about the proud design... I was probably the one the posted the link to the article before everyone else... but man the curved edge from 80% to 10%?? They can't do better than 10%??? (yes I'm making up the number but it sure seems close to reality from the posts and videos... lower really)

I guess I really have to accept this phone is too brittle... even with the case... and move on.

It is an exposed screen made of glass.

Exposed glass is subject to breaking, that is why cases have a lip. Corning even commented on this, it is called a proud display.

I'm not sure why people think exposed glass won't break.
    08-31-2016 09:11 PM
    They can demonstrate a full front flat drop from 4-5 feet and have a decent chance of survival... maybe the 80% rating as advertised. I know about the proud design... I was probably the one the posted the link to the article before everyone else... but man the curved edge from 80% to 10%?? They can't do better than 10% (yes I'm making up the number but it sure seems close to reality from the posts and videos... lower really)

I guess I really have to accept this phone is too brittle... even with the case... and move on.
    Corners have always been the weak spot of a phone, even flat screens.

The only screen I have ever broken was one dropped on the corner.
    08-31-2016 09:12 PM
    Sapphire is by no means brittle.
    It is... Diamond is as well. They are both extremely hard, but that hardness comes at a cost. A master jeweler can crack a diamond with a tap of a small hammer... The skill is ending up with gem quality stones and not shatter it.

The hard/brittle dance is why Corning treats gorilla glass with impurities. To mitigate the inherent brittleness off the material. But you can't do that with sapphire like you can with glass, the only way to make it is to make it pure.
    08-31-2016 09:20 PM
    The excuses made for this phone are entertaining. So carry on.
    08-31-2016 09:20 PM
    What I don't understand..if there are so many people that has so many problems with the Samsung phone.
    Why didn't you take it back.
    I couldn't imagine having nothing but a Samsung phone.
    Kelly Kearns likes this.
    08-31-2016 09:32 PM
    What I don't understand..if there are so many people that has so many problems with the Samsung phone.
    Why didn't you take it back.
    I couldn't imagine having nothing but a Samsung phone.
    Maybe they are out of their return grace period..?

You may be completely happy with your Samsung devices, but not everyone is.

Personally.. I probably will not buy another smartphone from them in the near future, unless they make it a fully unlocked, Knox free one and I don't see that happening anytime soon... Lol
    08-31-2016 09:48 PM
    Maybe they are out of their return grace period..?
    Nope, it was just released the 19th.
    KupKrazy likes this.
    08-31-2016 09:51 PM
    Nope, it was just released the 19th.
    Then I agree, they should return it if they can if they really dislike it.
    Kelly Kearns likes this.
    08-31-2016 09:53 PM
    The excuses made for this phone are entertaining. So carry on.
    What excuses? Samsung designed an all thin glass curved device. It is the perfect crack storm. Still like it, but wish was not glass and had flat display. Again, still like it. Cute little crack magnet.
    08-31-2016 10:00 PM
    Idk why people associate the phones durability with the price... If you drop a DSLR camera or $1000 Laptop it will break...no phone is unbreakable... However, without a case ur phone is bound to break no matter what type of glass is on there I think... It's unfortunate but u just gotta be careful
    08-31-2016 10:02 PM
    Day 2 mine slips out of my pocket while leaning back in my computer chair and now has a a crack... Ugg want to cry. What is that like 14 inch fall onto carpet. Something is up ... And by the way the phone was in a Tech21 case
    09-01-2016 08:16 PM
    No one will feel sorry for you here...
    It's a glass phone with raised edges, what did you expect??
    Survival rate from drop only 80%... not 100% Clearly the odds are against you
    Do you work for Apple?

Day 2 mine slips out of my pocket while leaning back in my computer chair and now has a a crack... Ugg want to cry. What is that like 14 inch fall onto carpet. Something is up ... And by the way the phone was in a Tech21 case
    Carlo Villa likes this.
    09-01-2016 08:24 PM
    My note 2 was a tank.... Had it for 3 years and it fell down many flights of stairs lol
    Totally agree regarding the build quality of the Note 2. My Note 2 passed away nearly 2 weeks ago and was dropped a fair few times in my 4 years of ownership.

I really wanted the Note 7 but I've decided not to get one. I found myself spending far too much time researching for cases and screen protectors due to the curved glass design.

If the Note 7 had been flat, I'd would have been happier. Over the years, Sammy has chosen style over substance.... Not the best decision they have made in my humble opinion

I really feel for customers with weeks old Note 7's that have cracks and scratches, knowing that the older Note phones had rock solid build quality.

Posted from my Galaxy Tab Pro
    nahoku likes this.
    09-02-2016 01:18 AM
    Nothing today is built like i was years ago.
    Seems people want changes to the phones.
    Want it thinner and nicer like a IPhone.
    When they build one like that.
    It's not nice enough
    People want to carry their phones naked
    Problem is they are prone to dropping it
    Phones are not really made to be dropped.
    Don't care which ones will withstand what.
    Phones are carried in folks pockets.
    Motherboards get cracked and then they have problems with charging.
    Or the phone has a problem doing things.
    Or the screen gets scratched from being dropped it in their pocket and keys or something gets against it.
    Phones are not made to take the punishment that is dished out to them.
    Curved screens came out as a new option
    With the new option the phones sold really well.
    So the company decides tgastbis how they are gonna make them.
    I don't think people that mtg phones lives on the forums to listen to people talk about what they want.
    Think they go by what sells.
    You need to really put a phone in a protective case.
    And once that serves the purpose of how you carry it.
    And try carrying it in a holster on your side instead of your pocket
    I would imagine some of the phones that have caught on fire might be from cracked motherboards from people carrying the phones in their pockets and cracking the motherboards.
    Then when they charge them, something shorts out, and gets hot or explodes
    Have a friend that repairs mobile phones and tablets that talks about how phones are dropped and put in people's pockets somewhat it does to them.
    He says phones are not indestructible.
    Something to think about when buying a phone or carrying one.
    09-02-2016 03:58 AM
    All you cracked screen people have lucked out. All Notes are being replaced.

"Samsung announces global recall of Galaxy Note 7
    SEOUL, Sept. 2 (Yonhap) -- Samsung Electronics Co. on Friday announced an unprecedented global recall of its Galaxy Note 7 after several of the phablets caught fire while being charged, promising to offer new replacements to all of the buyers at home and abroad.

Samsung apologized for the recall in a news conference in Seoul, saying that its investigation has found the fire was caused by faulty battery cells.

Koh Dong-jin, head of Samsung's handset business division, told reporters that only 24 out of 1 million Galaxy Note 7 smartphones have been found with the faulty battery.

"As of Sept. 1, a total of 35 claims were registered with Samsung's service centers at home and abroad. Only 24 units on a scale of 1 million were affected by the battery problem," Koh said in the conference.

Samsung will replace all Galaxy Note 7 handsets sold at home and abroad with new ones, regardless of the date of the purchase, Koh said.

"By putting our top priority on customer safety, we've decided to halt sales (of Galaxy Note 7) and offer new replacement handsets to all customers," Koh said.

Samsung began selling the Galaxy Note 7 on Aug. 19 in 10 countries worldwide.

(END)"

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/busi...09400320F.html
    donm527 likes this.
    09-02-2016 04:02 AM
    Nothing today is built like i was years ago.
    Seems people want changes to the phones.
    Want it thinner and nicer like a IPhone.
    When they build one like that.
    It's not nice enough
    People want to carry their phones naked
    Problem is they are prone to dropping it
    Phones are not really made to be dropped.
    Don't care which ones will withstand what.
    Phones are carried in folks pockets.
    Motherboards get cracked and then they have problems with charging.
    Or the phone has a problem doing things.
    Or the screen gets scratched from being dropped it in their pocket and keys or something gets against it.
    Phones are not made to take the punishment that is dished out to them.
    Curved screens came out as a new option
    With the new option the phones sold really well.
    So the company decides tgastbis how they are gonna make them.
    I don't think people that mtg phones lives on the forums to listen to people talk about what they want.
    Think they go by what sells.
    You need to really put a phone in a protective case.
    And once that serves the purpose of how you carry it.
    And try carrying it in a holster on your side instead of your pocket
    I would imagine some of the phones that have caught on fire might be from cracked motherboards from people carrying the phones in their pockets and cracking the motherboards.
    Then when they charge them, something shorts out, and gets hot or explodes
    Have a friend that repairs mobile phones and tablets that talks about how phones are dropped and put in people's pockets somewhat it does to them.
    He says phones are not indestructible.
    Something to think about when buying a phone or carrying one.
    Read the threads. Some people don't even know how their screens cracked in the firsts place. Others report broken screens from 1 foot drops on CARPET! Funny thing is many people who have had an issue say they are using a case. This phone is advertised as having gorilla glass 5; Cornings strongest glass yet!

I have been following this issue here on AC and other forums and it is very clear to me that there is a problem with this glass.

Also, I have read no threads or comments where people are expecting indestructible phones but according to you we should not even carry our phone in our pockets so we don't bend the motherboards!!!!

I have never liked cases as I find them bulky. Like many people I usually buy one when I get a new phone. However, I usually retire them to my nighstand within a couple weeks and carry the phone naked. Of course my screen gets scratched up a little and I can live with that. If I am not careful and drop the phone on concrete, pavement or even ceramic and crack my screen I can live with that also. What I can't accept however, is my screen cracking for no apparent reason.
    donm527 likes this.
    09-02-2016 08:04 AM
    Lucky for note 7 owners even with cracked screen u will get a replacement...good news

Posted via Limited Edition Lumia 950 with Mozo Case or Beautiful Gold S7 Edge or Surface pro 4 or Lumia 1020 or motoe or iphone 5s
    09-02-2016 08:44 AM
    My phone just fell out of my pocket 2 feet and the glass is cracked...but on the plus side all note 7's have been recalled for battery fire issues and they will take it back no matter the condition and replace it.
    09-03-2016 11:47 PM
    That only applies to GG5 from Corning untouched. Seems as though all bets are off if you manipulate it. I'm thinking it's > 20% now.

Cracked! Samsung's Galaxy Note 7 mysteriously fractured in my bag - CNET

"You'd think that makes the Note 7's screen the "best," but there's a catch. Corning's claim applies to the glass on its own, not to products that have altered it, as a curved screen does, Corning told CNET at its Gorilla Glass 5 launch in June. Fragile corners are especially susceptible to damage, inherent drop-resistance or no. If the Note 7 lands flat on its face, that screen is tough to break, like we showed in our drop test video. But better watch those edges!"
    I see that in that article, he mentions "I slipped it back into the interior pocket it shared with another device I'm testing." Kind of important to note, no?

Maybe this screen cracks more than previous ones. Maybe it's just exposed due to curves. It's clear that folks need to take care with the device, that much seems certain.
    Kelly Kearns likes this.
    09-04-2016 12:06 AM
    My phone just fell out of my pocket 2 feet and the glass is cracked...but on the plus side all note 7's have been recalled for battery fire issues and they will take it back no matter the condition and replace it.
    Just happened to me this morning. Two feet off the ground.
    09-04-2016 05:59 AM
    I can't remember how often I dropped my iPhone 6S Plus on the floor including concrete. Nothing happened apart from a few scratches on the metal frame. That's what I call durability.
    09-04-2016 06:02 AM
    Yes I saw it... so your saying person can't "slip" a phone in a bag with anything else next to it??

Didn't say "I threw it in my bag next to another phone so hard I heard it bang against it"

So millions of women cannot slip her Note7 into a bag with anything else in that compartment... wallet? Keys? The gazillion of things women keep in there bags?

Seriously, the writer gave no impression that she put it in her bag in any unusual way she would any other time with anything else she put in her bag that would cause breakage. It is this type of scenario that clearly makes you think... this phone is too damn brittle for normal daily handling.

It's been only two weeks and there had been quiet a few of these stories. Well have to see as more time passes and see even when people get there replacements we reset the clock and see.

I see that in that article, he mentions "I slipped it back into the interior pocket it shared with another device I'm testing." Kind of important to note, no?

Maybe this screen cracks more than previous ones. Maybe it's just exposed due to curves. It's clear that folks need to take care with the device, that much seems certain.
    09-04-2016 06:56 AM
202 ... 56789