Note 7 Has A Screen Defect (phone cracked after being dropped)

Jabram89

Aug 23, 2016
Visit site
Something weird is going on and I don't think it's just chance on how the phone is dropped. Youtube videos are showing it survive a variety of heights, as well as people on different forums. Yet there are others who are saying its breaking in cupholders, pockets, and from drops on carpet.

I do not use a case, I haven't for any of my smartphones ever. Guilty as charged, I've only ever ruined phones by water damage though not drops. Ironically, my first waterproof phone is the first to be cracking like crazy. Dropped the note 7 from waist height getting out of my car the first day, small crack on bottom. I accept that. Kneeling down playing with my little sister over a laminate wood floor shattering the top? This is a 12-18 inch drop on a relatively soft surface. I think this new gorilla glass is producing variable quality. Maybe because of the curve? Not sure, but a phone with or without a case shattering from a 1ft drop on to a laminate wood floor isn't acceptable to me for a $850 phone.

I wish there was a camera recording my reaction. This wasn't one of those pickups where you dread flipping it over to look at screen. I picked it up not even checking glass to "What in the ****!? How is that even possible?!"

Torm558

Mar 3, 2016
Visit site
Re: Note 7 Has A Screen Defect

Unfortunately that first crack would have ruined the integrity of the glass now, making it easier for cracks to happen

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site

I know drops are bound to happen, but on the first day and twice already? That's either really bad luck or just being careless.
A lot of people think these phones are super durable and they aren't. They SHOULD be for the amount of money paid, but that's another topic. The more stories I read like this, the more careful I tend to become. I see people just flat out abuse their phones. I have on a few occasions, thrown my Note5 onto my bed, just to toss the TN remote in the same area a few minutes later, while hitting my phone screen. Just from that experience alone and the horror stories I have been hearing about the fragility of this screen, I will probably no longer be doing that. :p Why risk it?

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site

Agreed...once you have a single crack...the next drop is a roll of the dice...because physics.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Just like holding a glass in your hand, you don't want to drop it. What is nice about this phone is the way it is gripped in the hand. It is pretty firm. Drops happen, but how many times does one drop a glass of water from the hand? I can't remember the last time I dropped a glass, though I remember dropping my Note 4 a few times and my N7 almost slipped from my hands the first day. A lot of care is needed for these phones.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site

I wouldn't think a $1500 laptop would take a 3 foot fall better than a $200 laptop either, for that matter. :p
I think if people (like my kids) are more prone to drops, for whatever reason (job, how they carry phone, etc.), maybe a durable case or a different phone is more suitable. I think it's just a mindset change that is needed when getting phones made out of glass.

mru007

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site

I would suggest you to be careful with these devices mate. A phone made out of glass, although it is Corning Gorilla Glass 5 & all, needs to be taken extreme care all the time. And I really don't understand how could you drop your new phone on the very first day.
From the reviews, I can say that Note 7 is quite comfortable to hold than previous Galaxy phones. So why would you drop it (unless you were trying to make a drop test) ?
You need a strong case & a good quality tempered glass protector for all these glass phones......will steal away the look & feel of the phone, but it will increase the probability of survival of your phone :)

alexeisch

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site

The bottom line is that no phone is indestructible. There will always be variants on how/why/when people drop them. The fact is that, dependent upon how it lands, a 12 inch drop could do more damage than a 12 foot drop. If you think you are going to drop your phone at any time (and who doesn’t?!) put a case on it. Period. Life happens and while manufactures can do their best to make phones resilient, *they just aren’t*. I spent $850 on this phone and I am treating it like gold!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

If you already had a crack, then the glass already has damage and is much more susceptible to cracks

Bartone

Jul 31, 2016
Visit site

What isn't acceptable is dropping a 850 dollar phone... just saying. I've never dropped a smartphone in my life, you need to be more careful I would never drop my Note 7.

the real batman

Aug 15, 2016
Visit site

I don't mean to sound unsympathetic but to me if I saw a bunch of videos like what you're describing then I'd put a case on the phone. There's no medal for martyrdom if you go without a case knowing the risks and your phone gets damaged. Either put a case on the phone so that you're giving it the best possible chance to survive drops or continue to go without the case and refrain from complaining when it inevitably is damaged by drops. Just because something is expensive doesn't mean it should be impervious to carelessness. Porcelain is expensive. I don't think that means I should be able to drop it and have nothing happen to it.

panzerghost

May 14, 2013
Visit site

Dropped the note 7 from waist height getting out of my car the first day, small crack on bottom. I accept that. Kneeling down playing with my little sister over a laminate wood floor shattering the top?

That sucks man I feel for you. But this is why we have insurance, I assume you looked at the cost of replacing the screen (`$270). When I saw that this morning it made me glad that I have insurance.

mmohn01

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site

Dropping any phone from waist high onto concrete will compromise the structural integrity of any phone's screen. This is why I've always had a case on my phone. I don't really know what people expect from Gorilla Glass, but it never once suggested it was indestructible. It's an $850 phone. If I had a wad of cash worth $850 I would at the very least have it in my wallet to protect it.

NotAnAppleGuy

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site

I just don't UNDERSTAND why people don't put cases on their "investment".

Posted Via Galaxy Note Edge. Yea, the phone is perfect...

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site

I just don't UNDERSTAND why people don't put cases on their "investment".
It's easy to understand. Cases are bulky and ugly, my phone is not an "investment", and I'm careful enough that I've never broken or scratched up a phone.

Yes, I realize it'll probably happen someday--as it will even if you use a case. But if it happens rarely enough, it's still less inconvenient than the cost and unpleasantness of years of buying and using cases and screen protectors.

badMojo69

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
Honestly I do think the Note edge is weaker than the S7E and can't take as much abuse.
I will put a case on mine. Beautiful pone, but there is a pig under all that lipstick.

wricu01

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I have a Note 5 and it never hit the ground and i have a case. I pay to much money for theses phones to not have a case on them.. Now they do look sexy without one not taking that chance

The first thing I did with my 7 is put a case on it