Note 7 Has A Screen Defect (phone cracked after being dropped)

tinybfk

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I also believe as you mention that in many cases that no matter how strong a device just can be the unlucky dude where more damage might happen then the next guy. And I personally don't believe in putting my phone in my back pocket especially and didn't think much of bendgate since you really had to try and bend the phone to warp it. But it did happen enough where Apply felt enough that the phone needed to be more robust for longevity that they did make a change in the S models and in this article says the frame was almost 3x stronger to bending than original.

iPhone 6S won't bend like the iPhone 6 - Tech Insider

That change and change in board design said to be reasons why the S phones are experiencing the new issue of "touch disease"

iPhone 6S won't bend like the iPhone 6 - Tech Insider

So I think nothing wrong with looking into this issue of the GG5... many may not experience issues now... but if there is a noticeable amount of people reporting scratches and cracks early... it gets the attention of Samsung to look at and if they can see something make any adjustments needed during production. Many times little changes are made that most people don't even hear about during the start of any new production run. It's only been a week so nothing wrong with seeing these posts and see whether over a month... longer... if this really is an issue. I'd definitely like to know while I am still in "shopping" mode for my next phone.

An internal defect is causing tons of iPhone 6 and 6 Plus to break

The only thing that made me think of 'bend gate' was that after the original bend gate video was released everyone was looking for the problem and some of the people were even saying it bent from just being in their front pocket. Hell I remember when the video originally came out looking at my phone almost everyday at first to see if it was bent lol. Just like the scratch issue now with the Note 7, the first week I had this thing under a microscope after seeing the scratch that video, not literally under a microscope but looking hard for those light scratches. The problems are there with any phone it's just a matter of how hard we look for them.
I'm in no way saying this isn't a real issue though. I believe it probably does scratch easier because they probably had to soften the glass to make it more 'durable'. I am also pretty sure that the curves create a weak spot in the glass plus even with a case your edges are usually exposed. I do hope Corning and Samsung improve the formula and make it better but the reality is it probably won't happen until the next generation of GG. Apple didn't really fix the bend gate problem in the 6. They just improved the next iphone a year later. The original 6 that is still sold received no improvements that I know of, although I haven't researched it.

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Re: more fragile then my note 5

Your right that if any major change needed, we'd probably wouldnt see it changed for a year. But structurally I think the phone is ok... from what I read the aluminum structure has gotten very positive comments as being pretty rigid.

so it's the glass.

I'm just hoping this is not a real issue and do not see more reports of this as more weeks go by. If is then can only hope that while I still haven't bought yet that if its a glass issue... maybe as you said from the way they heat/shape the glass or some process... they can make a quick adjustment during manufactuing and resolve it before I get one :) If anything it has probably gotten Samsungs attention to look at the glass process right now just to make sure.

But I am really wanting to pull the trigger on a Note 7 within the next 30 days. Trying to wait and see as well as see what the iPhone 7 is going to be about.

tinybfk

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site

Your right that if any major change needed, we'd probably wouldnt see it changed for a year. But structurally I think the phone is ok... from what I read the aluminum structure has gotten very positive comments as being pretty rigid.

so it's the glass.

I'm just hoping this is not a real issue and do not see more reports of this as more weeks go by. If is then can only hope that while I still haven't bought yet that if its a glass issue... maybe as you said from the way they heat/shape the glass or some process... they can make a quick adjustment during manufactuing and resolve it before I get one :) If anything it has probably gotten Samsungs attention to look at the glass process right now just to make sure.

But I am really wanting to pull the trigger on a Note 7 within the next 30 days. Trying to wait and see as well as see what the iPhone 7 is going to be about.

I agree this phone is definitely solid structure wise, which is nice. The glass is definitely it's Achilles heel. I'm curious about the iPhone 7 also. If most of the rumors are true it sounds like it won't be much of an upgrade from the 6s/plus which would be a bummer. No headphone jack would be a big downside for me. I don't use headphones often but when I do it's usually for random long phone calls where my BT headphones aren't with me. I have corded headphones stashed in my house and both of our vehicles plus a set in my work shirt usually. Not much longer until we find out for sure though. I get excited with new phones since it Push's other manufacturers to up their game too.

mru007

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site

It's really awful that the no. of users experiencing these issues with Note 7 glass panel are increasing day by day.
There is definitely something wrong in the manufacturing process used for the first lot (at least some) of these models, like maybe, the percentage of the materials in the glass or some other technical shortcoming.
I have written to Samsung CEO office (they will get in touch with Corning too) today itself about this issue in detail & let's hope that this will be fixed in the near future (in the next lot of devices).
They should definitely give a free replacement of Note 7 to the affected users, once the issue is fixed :)
I was also thinking of upgrading to Note 7 right away but for now, I will stay with my beloved Note 4 & see how this goes down the line.

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

Wow what timing... my boss who got his Note 7 not even two weeks old... has case on his... just found out he dropped

( edit: more detail he told me that it was pushed off his desk in his kitchen onto the tile floor at 3 1/2 feet. But he didn't emphasize that it had a lot of power behind it when it slid off the desk. Said it hit pretty flat on the tile )

his phone at home and cracked his screen. Again at the corner. About 3 foot drop onto his kitchen tile but still you'd hope it have a better chance of survival... Corning BRAGS drop tested at 1.5 meters and people are posting drops at 3 feet?!!

Man I really want one... but I know my buddy and he's always careful and stupid dumb luck drop... at 3 feet cracked!... I really have to rethink this even if I can get one for $600. For hi no biggie because he's also the CIO lol.

Last edited:

dcooper830

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site

Well... hopefully, since I have an Otterbox commuter and tempered glass screen protector on mine, I won't experience any damage.

Because I drop my phones accidentally about once every 2 months or so...

wirelessgal

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site

I returned my Note 7 for other reasons, but after reading this thread, I'm glad I did. I'm sure Samsung will address this issue if there are more complaints. For now, I'm happy with my Note 5 and S7 Edge. I have insurance on both. The Note 7 is a great phone and if you really want the phone, I highly recommend you buy insurance.

Christopher Gilliam

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site

I really feel that there is something going on with the glass around the S-pen area or bottom of the screen area I've been looking around and that's were the vast majority of the cracks are happening .. definitely need a case that's offers extra cushion/protection around those Conner

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

I have no idea what they are saying lol.... and they take an axe to the phone near the end and just multilate it :confused:... But check out the vid at 5:30 mark where they do a drop test at pocket height... 3ft? Again, at the corner/edges :-\
imo this phone needs a case with raised bezels to give the sides and corners more protection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8zjtEvKUs4
They are saying with a screen that has a corner, above the bezel, that is going to be a weak spot.

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

Here is a pic of my coworkers Note 7 just mentioned. He had his phone in a Caseology Envoy Series case. 3 Feet!! Not 1.5 meters like Corning says and tries to emphasize in their videos of the girl dropping the phone at 1.5 doing a selfie into concrete.

I have definitely put my plan to buy on hold cause and see over time if more reports start coming up of cracks under short drops. Right now my opinion is the glass is way too weak at the curves :-\

Wow what timing... my boss who got his Note 7 not even two weeks old... has case on his... just found out he dropped his phone at home and cracked his screen. Again at the corner. About 3 foot drop onto his kitchen tile but still you'd hope it have a better chance of survival... Corning BRAGS drop tested at 1.5 meters and people are posting drops at 3 feet?!!

Man I really want one... but I know my buddy and he's always careful and stupid dumb luck drop... at 3 feet cracked!... I really have to rethink this even if I can get one for $600. For hi no biggie because he's also the CIO lol.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Posted this on another thread... but my coworker just showed me his Note 7... less than two weeks old. Dropped on his kitchen tile at 3 feet and using a Caseology case. Corning press release and video brag how it's tested at 1.5 meters and posts and youtube videos showing people getting cracked screen at 3ft. I'm convinced seeing my buddies phone that the screens too weak at the curves :-\ My buddy had me wanting to get a Note 7 ASAP after he got his but the urge has ebbed and going to play a wait and see game.

jamesrick80

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Posted this on another thread... but my coworker just showed me his Note 7... less than two weeks old. Dropped on his kitchen tile at 3 feet and using a Caseology case. Corning press release and video brag how it's tested at 1.5 meters and posts and youtube videos showing people getting cracked screen at 3ft. I'm convinced seeing my buddies phone that the screens too weak at the curves :-\ My buddy had me wanting to get a Note 7 ASAP after he got his but the urge has ebbed and going to play a wait and see game.

[url]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r191/don527/IMG_1952_zpsapqeud4n.jpg[/URL]
Hmm the s6 edge Plus glass curve Screen was much stronger...i dropped that phone tons of times without any cracks or damage...i will be more careful with my note 7

jamesrick80

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I blame tech reviewers who went on the "doesn't have a premium feel" rant.
I do think the LGV10 is the best of both worlds...premium and practical and that's why I still have it. It's just too bad the screen is so freakin dim.
The lgv10 build quality is terrible..i have one on my other line where the back cover is peeling off and the front glass cracked after a less than 2 feet drop on some rocks within 2 weeks of use.....

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

With glass.. there is shock and there is impact. Now.. shock... like whacking the (non-glass) body of a phone against a table... that can cause the glass's internal structure to fail. GG attempts to mitigate this by a doping process when they are making the glass. The impurities sort of try to fill in the gaps and keep an internal stress from creating a fissure, which can/will expand rapidly into a crack

But an impact is different. If you whack the glass on, say, pavement, and the glass takes a direct impact by some little chunk of hard as hell material. the GG-ishness... well, is like spitting on forest fire at that point.

And, because it's sexy, the Note 7 sticks that glass out like a beauty pageant contestant. So unless it is protected, near any type of drop is going to result in a direct impact on the glass body.

Now, that isn't to say it will explode every time. Glass is a fickly beast and very hard to predict how it reacts. Deep down in the structure of everyone here's phone, there are flaws... you can't see them, but they're there. You might have dropped your phone and returned unscathed, but if you put enough stress at the right angle on one of those flaws... poof.... bye bye screen. Now, I don't know what Corning's QA methods are, but I doubt they examine every square inch of the glass at an atomic level to look for even the tiniest of structural flaws. That sort of treatment might be hellishly expensive and most likely reserved for the things like windows on the ISS.

So we're left with device that is clad in a material that is a cliche for 'not durable'.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

[url]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r191/don527/IMG_1952_zpsapqeud4n.jpg[/URL]
That looks like a point load (looks like the screen hit something hard at that point)

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Besides the case he had a full Tempered glass protector on it but he actually took it off just the other day because it kept on lifting wasn't sitting well. This is his words exactly on the incident ...

It was definitely my fault and that glass cover would have saved it.. it hit pretty flat on tile floor from 3.5 ft
It was on the desk and got pushed off so out had a little behind it, more than just 3.5 ft of power
I didn't throw it or anything, just bad luck

That looks like a point load (looks like the screen hit something hard at that point)

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

(edit: more detail he told me that it was pushed off his desk in his kitchen onto the tile floor at 3 1/2 feet. But he didn't emphasize that it had a lot of power behind it when it slid off the desk. Said it hit pretty flat on the tile ).

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

(edit: more detail he told me that it was pushed off his desk in his kitchen onto the tile floor at 3 1/2 feet. But he didn't emphasize that it had a lot of power behind it when it slid off the desk. Said it hit pretty flat on the tile ).
They screen, especially the corner, is very, very exposed.

Had Samsung offered a flat screen, I would have taken that. I realized no case would really protect the screen if you want to use the edge, when I picked it up.

MsBlingberry

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
Frankly I think some people expect too much from this phone. Samsung and Corning never promised indestructible glass. It. Is. Glass. Glass breaks, period. Crystal is beautiful and expensive but still fragile. We cried for premium feel phones and moaned endlessly about tacky plastic. Now we have glass and we expect it to be indestructible because it's GG5 and expensive? Really folks!
And for those comparing it to their older notes, were they made of all glass?
Let's be realistic please. You have a beautiful, expensive phone made of glass. Protect it or be very careful with it. This is not rocket science!

Posted via my awesome N4