Note 7 Has A Screen Defect (phone cracked after being dropped)

badMojo69

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
You really can't compare an elevated screen with a corner to a flat screen. Even the S6 Edge is not the same as the Note 7 screen.

What we are seeing is anecdotal and that has never been proof of anything in any situation. There are so many variables present when dropping a phone.

I did post a link to a video where this guy took a knife to the back edge "not pun intended" and it just shattered at every point he hit it.
Same thing done with the S7E and nothing. There are also several other videos where people have shown cracks on the phone and they are always on the bottom back corner (impact point).

Don't get me wrong I'm keeping mine. It's just the 1st phone I have ever...ever felt has to be in a case. And I never drop my phone....and you know just because I said that I'm going to drop it.

Viscomi4444

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
Re: more fragile then my note 5

Here is a pic of my coworkers Note 7 just mentioned. He had his phone in a Caseology Envoy Series case. 3 Feet!! Not 1.5 meters like Corning says and tries to emphasize in their videos of the girl dropping the phone at 1.5 doing a selfie into concrete.

I have definitely put my plan to buy on hold cause and see over time if more reports start coming up of cracks under short drops. Right now my opinion is the glass is way too weak at the curves :-\

[url]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r191/don527/IMG_1952_zpsapqeud4n.jpg[/URL]
GG never said it would be 100% protected from a five foot drop. They said there's an 80% chance from a five foot drop. I dont get what people dont understand. Just because a few people screens cracked does not mean GG is wrong. There's a 20% chance that it'll crack. It all about luck.

Torm558

Mar 3, 2016
Visit site

Spigen rugged armor on mine. Taken a few tumbles to the ground by a few feet and not a mark. This case is military drop tested. Very light and thin with air cushions in each corner.

Also got this phone launch day. No screen protector and zero scratches

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site

That only applies to GG5 from Corning untouched. Seems as though all bets are off if you manipulate it. I'm thinking it's > 20% now. :confused:

Cracked! Samsung's Galaxy Note 7 mysteriously fractured in my bag - CNET

"You'd think that makes the Note 7's screen the "best," but there's a catch. Corning's claim applies to the glass on its own, not to products that have altered it, as a curved screen does, Corning told CNET at its Gorilla Glass 5 launch in June. Fragile corners are especially susceptible to damage, inherent drop-resistance or no. If the Note 7 lands flat on its face, that screen is tough to break, like we showed in our drop test video. But better watch those edges!"

GG never said it would be 100% protected from a five foot drop. They said there's an 80% chance from a five foot drop. I dont get what people dont understand. Just because a few people screens cracked does not mean GG is wrong. There's a 20% chance that it'll crack. It all about luck.

avalvo

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site

The issue is in the design. I think much depends on how the impact or force is concentrated. The sharp curve of the glass means that any impact on an edge or corner is taking the full force of a blow over a very small surface area. A flat screen phone does not have this problem. A gentle curve like the Note Edge certainly has less of an issue. The sharper the curve the worse the issues. Samsung should know this and perhaps done more testing. You can see this in some of the reviews for shatter testing. In one I watched a guy takes a knife to the back of the phone. All is fine with moderate taping, until he hits the edge and it instantly cracks. You have the full concentration of force in the knifes edge meeting the edge of the glass. He then turns the phone over and takes a 2lb sledge hammer to the face of the glass. It holds up amazingly well, but he never hit those edges.

One poster mentions that his wife's phone feel of a moving car with a Caseology case on it. I have that case and it has nice soft rubber inside a light plastic frame. I think this is a good design for this phone. It needs a good amount of shock absorbtion to disperse those impact forces away from the vulnerable edges.

Anthony

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I did post a link to a video where this guy took a knife to the back edge "not pun intended" and it just shattered at every point he hit it.
Same thing done with the S7E and nothing. There are also several other videos where people have shown cracks on the phone and they are always on the bottom back corner (impact point).

Don't get me wrong I'm keeping mine. It's just the 1st phone I have ever...ever felt has to be in a case. And I never drop my phone....and you know just because I said that I'm going to drop it.
But it is still not a controlled test, that is the point.

Testing to determine something is defective has to be done in controlled environments, just like testing for medical drugs.

avalvo

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site

The more I think about it, the more I feel Samsung should give every pre order customer free Protection Plus. Perhaps they will offer this as time goes buy and they see the issues in such a design.

badMojo69

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
I know and I never said it was controlled, but it was real. I dont think I'll ever be taking a knife to my phone anytime soon though.

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Do people forget why Samsung did things like glass backs and curved screens? It was to make it feel more "premium" and less iPhone. For years, people bitched about how the phone didn't feel "premium" in the hand in comparing it to the iPhone. I never had a problem with it, but even a lot of fans kept moaning about how they didn't like the plastic feel. Well, people got what they wanted - a premium feel at the cost of a more vulnerable phone. No one complains about it not feeling premium anymore, but no one complained about the back of the Note 4 being scratched either.

High price tag does not and has never equaled indestructible. As the phones get more elegant, they become more vulnerable. In my opinion, as phones have been made more 'premium', they have also become more vulnerable - and when they do things like use improved glass or other things to make the premium phone more sturdy - it's just merely an attempt at making it as sturdy as the old non-premium looking phones. Every time a new phone comes out, there is always talk about Gorilla Glass version X and whether not a case is needed. If you never used a case before, you won't now - and if you've always used a case, you will now - so I think there is way too much concentration on the Gorilla Glass and not enough concentration on how to handle phones and how not to handle it more carelessly just because it has Gorilla Glass 25 or something.

As I finish this, I realize I am not sure what I am trying to say other than Samsung was forced into producing these types of premium phones by the people, the media, and those who were more concerned more about form over function. We need to do what we feel is necessary to protect and care for our phones.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I don't know... I'm not really buying the premium argument...

Look at the ZTE Axom 7, the One Plus 3... $400 and "premium" materials. I saw a vid of the Axom 7 bare frame and attempts to bend... that's a huge chunk of aluminum. What was premium... anything going away from plastic... is now becoming the norm and there are benefits to a good design in a stronger phone.

Even though using glass on both sides is going to increase the chances of cracking the glass... I still think the design is doable and could be stronger. I'm still thinking its a manufacturing issue that can be resolved.

iPhone 8 is rumored to be all glass. No one is going to give them a pass if they crack any easier because it's glass and they know it. It will be interesting to see how they do it. I heard of a possible sapphire type material.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Yes that is a given. I have a watch with sapphire glass and cracked. I misspoke... I meant to say... DIAMOND! Yeah, diamond glass. 800 times stronger than gorilla glass! I just want it to survive a 3 foot drop WITH a case on as well as my iPhone 6 right now. Can't be too much to ask.

iPhone: Diamond glass might be stronger than Corning Glass 5 | BGR

Sapphire will crack. Watch crystals are made of sapphire all the time and they crack. Glass cracks guys, it just does.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Sapphire doesn't make for a very good phone screen... for several reasons:

1) it is brutally difficult and expensive to manufacture a display out of the stuff. Apple dumped like $500M into a company that makes the stuff and it was a total fiasco.

2) Sapphire 'glass' is pretty poor optically, so displays would have to be cranked to much higher light levels to be the same perceived brightness.

3) While it is extremely resistant to scratching, it is also extremely brittle and shatters far more easily than glass, especially when you make it into a large, thin surface.

Now, it does have some applications.. like a watchface or to cover the camera module. But as a phone display? It's a dead end.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Yes that is a given. I have a watch with sapphire glass and cracked. I misspoke... I meant to say... DIAMOND! Yeah, diamond glass. 800 times stronger than gorilla glass! I just want it to survive a 3 foot drop WITH a case on as well as my iPhone 6 right now. Can't be too much to ask.

iPhone: Diamond glass might be stronger than Corning Glass 5 | BGR
Your phones vulnerability is the design, it has an exposed screen.

Artificial diamond glass.. It is glass, it isn't unbreakable.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Curves and thin glass do not mix. The device is a crack magnet and is my main issue with the device. Even if you want to protect it, you can't since the curve sticks out with cases. No practical way to protect it unless you cover the curve. It sadly is what it is.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

The issue is in the design. I think much depends on how the impact or force is concentrated. The sharp curve of the glass means that any impact on an edge or corner is taking the full force of a blow over a very small surface area. A flat screen phone does not have this problem. A gentle curve like the Note Edge certainly has less of an issue. The sharper the curve the worse the issues. Samsung should know this and perhaps done more testing. You can see this in some of the reviews for shatter testing. In one I watched a guy takes a knife to the back of the phone. All is fine with moderate taping, until he hits the edge and it instantly cracks. You have the full concentration of force in the knifes edge meeting the edge of the glass. He then turns the phone over and takes a 2lb sledge hammer to the face of the glass. It holds up amazingly well, but he never hit those edges.

One poster mentions that his wife's phone feel of a moving car with a Caseology case on it. I have that case and it has nice soft rubber inside a light plastic frame. I think this is a good design for this phone. It needs a good amount of shock absorbtion to disperse those impact forces away from the vulnerable edges.

Anthony

Still the curves are exposed, so no bezel protection like with flat displays.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781