Note 7 Has A Screen Defect (phone cracked after being dropped)

jeetu4444

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
I don't know... I'm not really buying the premium argument...

Look at the ZTE Axom 7, the One Plus 3... $400 and "premium" materials. I saw a vid of the Axom 7 bare frame and attempts to bend... that's a huge chunk of aluminum. What was premium... anything going away from plastic... is now becoming the norm and there are benefits to a good design in a stronger phone.

Even though using glass on both sides is going to increase the chances of cracking the glass... I still think the design is doable and could be stronger. I'm still thinking its a manufacturing issue that can be resolved.

iPhone 8 is rumored to be all glass. No one is going to give them a pass if they crack any easier because it's glass and they know it. It will be interesting to see how they do it. I heard of a possible sapphire type material.

Samsung can easily make a aluminium back phone...but then u won't have wireless charging...then again people will complain...there are always people who are not happy with change...still note 4 people not happy that note 7 doesn't have removable battery...so different people different needs...iam very happy with my S7 edge...i drop it once flat on the screen from around waist height and i was sure screen cracked..but to my luck it dint...but even if it did it would me my fault...thou iam not careless with my phones or electronics...
It's like buying the sports car..banging it and saying car got dents ...if u are a person who is careless with their phones...then putting on a case is a must...i once dropped my lumia 1020 in the gym flat on the screen on a wooden floor and my screen cracked...luckily that is the only screen i have cracked in my life...i dint blame nokia for it...its my fault i dropped..sometimes it your luck..i have dropped my s7 edge many time but it was in a transparent slim case. Thou i have insured my phone coz it expensive

Posted via Limited Edition Lumia 950 with Mozo Case or Beautiful Gold S7 Edge or Surface pro 4 or Lumia 1020 or motoe or iphone 5s

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I think if'n I was prone to dropping a Phone, I would find the best protection case for it.
Even if its the Thick Otterbox case.

Just so its protected.

EvEr34

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Sapphire doesn't make for a very good phone screen... for several reasons:

1) it is brutally difficult and expensive to manufacture a display out of the stuff. Apple dumped like $500M into a company that makes the stuff and it was a total fiasco.

2) Sapphire 'glass' is pretty poor optically, so displays would have to be cranked to much higher light levels to be the same perceived brightness.

3) While it is extremely resistant to scratching, it is also extremely brittle and shatters far more easily than glass, especially when you make it into a large, thin surface.

Now, it does have some applications.. like a watchface or to cover the camera module. But as a phone display? It's a dead end.

Sapphire is by no means brittle.

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
d4d809fa17185415b93b750ebd9fb114.jpg

Well there you go...sorry I don't mean to sound unsympathetic but you make a great point, it's an $850 phone...spend another $30 and protect it.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Did not say it was unbreakable. Just pointed out the fact that sapphire is not brittle.
Sapphire is not cost effective for making the needed anamorphic material that has the optics needed. It also is not immune to breaking. Thin glass breaks. It is what it is.

jeetu4444

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
This is the case iam using on my S7 edge ..its hybrid with kick stand slim and has military standard for dropdownloadfile.jpg

Posted via Limited Edition Lumia 950 with Mozo Case or Beautiful Gold S7 Edge or Surface pro 4 or Lumia 1020 or motoe or iphone 5s

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I am not looking for or expecting indestructable phone or an indestructable screen. What I am hoping for is that, if I am going to spend $900 on an awesome phone with an awesome design and features... I want to be confident in the design and construction and materials used that I feel confident that I can spend $900 barring a real dumb accident it should last me a couple of years. A phone I don't have to be worried about and baby it. If Samsung designs a curved glass screen and packages it in a $900 phone, I really do expect it to be able to take a light tumble in hopes that I can get lucky with one or two and last me a couple of years. Premium materials and $900 doesn't mean I have to accept it's going to be weaker than others.

I had a 4S I bought new and put it in a case and normal daily usage and maybe a slip of two out of hand while standing or in the car and no problem. I sold it to a friend that is still using it to this day and hasn't cracked. A glass phone that sticks out from the frame edges exposed. Gorilla glass... TWO maybe? I want it to last like that with GG5.

I want to like this phone so much I can accept if the edges may cause a little more concern over a flush mounted screen... but come on... people are posting drops 3 foot drops using a full case, one person said drop from one foot (omg!). My friend that I know has a full caseology case and it couldnt take an accidental push off a desk at 3 feet. Man that's just too brittle if all true.

Besides the normal 9-to-5 work, I like to run 20+ miles a week and keep my phone in a belt pouch, run a marathon or two a year, some 5ks, go skiing in the winters, hiked in the Canadian Rockies this past summer. Mountain bike occasionally with my phone bouncing around in my cargo pant pocket. Never Never had a phone break or mess up a screen with average care. Any of my iPhone 1, 3gs , 4s, Nexus 4, G2, G3, iPhone 6.

I'm still hoping that it's just a manufacturing issue... overheated glass when forming and they make adjustments during production... something i hope. Because I really want to try this out. But I don't want to buy this phone right now and worry it won't last a couple of years. I can't afford to buy a new phone all the time. I'm concerned that the curved part of the screen may just crack under normal use from accumulated pressure over time. It sounds that brittle.

Sapphire is by no means indestructible, especially when you are talking about a large phone screen.

The key.. It is glass, glass is breakable.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
It is an exposed screen made of glass.

Exposed glass is subject to breaking, that is why cases have a lip. Corning even commented on this, it is called a proud display.

I'm not sure why people think exposed glass won't break.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
They can demonstrate a full front flat drop from 4-5 feet and have a decent chance of survival... maybe the 80% rating as advertised. I know about the proud design... I was probably the one the posted the link to the article before everyone else... but man the curved edge from 80% to 10%?? They can't do better than 10%??? (yes I'm making up the number but it sure seems close to reality from the posts and videos... lower really)

I guess I really have to accept this phone is too brittle... even with the case... and move on. :(

It is an exposed screen made of glass.

Exposed glass is subject to breaking, that is why cases have a lip. Corning even commented on this, it is called a proud display.

I'm not sure why people think exposed glass won't break.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
They can demonstrate a full front flat drop from 4-5 feet and have a decent chance of survival... maybe the 80% rating as advertised. I know about the proud design... I was probably the one the posted the link to the article before everyone else... but man the curved edge from 80% to 10%?? They can't do better than 10% (yes I'm making up the number but it sure seems close to reality from the posts and videos... lower really)

I guess I really have to accept this phone is too brittle... even with the case... and move on. :(
Corners have always been the weak spot of a phone, even flat screens.

The only screen I have ever broken was one dropped on the corner.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Sapphire is by no means brittle.
It is... Diamond is as well. They are both extremely hard, but that hardness comes at a cost. A master jeweler can crack a diamond with a tap of a small hammer... The skill is ending up with gem quality stones and not shatter it.

The hard/brittle dance is why Corning treats gorilla glass with impurities. To mitigate the inherent brittleness off the material. But you can't do that with sapphire like you can with glass, the only way to make it is to make it pure.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
What I don't understand..if there are so many people that has so many problems with the Samsung phone.
Why didn't you take it back.
I couldn't imagine having nothing but a Samsung phone.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
What I don't understand..if there are so many people that has so many problems with the Samsung phone.
Why didn't you take it back.
I couldn't imagine having nothing but a Samsung phone.

Maybe they are out of their return grace period..?

You may be completely happy with your Samsung devices, but not everyone is.

Personally.. I probably will not buy another smartphone from them in the near future, unless they make it a fully unlocked, Knox free one and I don't see that happening anytime soon... Lol

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech