Always on screen...are you using it?

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I prefer Samsung aod over the Moto active display.

Really? The Moto active display is the one feature I have missed since giving my Maxx to my kid when I bought the Note 4. I really like the AOD and have it on, but it would be oh so much better if pressing the icon let me read the notification.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Really? The Moto active display is the one feature I have missed since giving my Maxx to my kid when I bought the Note 4. I really like the AOD and have it on, but it would be oh so much better if pressing the icon let me read the notification.
I found it kind of pointless for me as it gave a short portion of email, not enough, so I would have to open anyways. Or for hangouts it only gives a few messages, whereas I could have a lot more.

It could be useful to some people, just not me

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: Always on Display

It's as useful as having a constant clock displaying on your screen (and notification icons and a quick note). As for battery drain, I've only been using it for a day (just wanted to test out the 'improved' version), and so far it's been negligible.

You will turn on your screen less to check the time and a quick glance to notifications, though, so that might be why it's not 'affecting' the battery life.

mlr_90

May 3, 2010
Visit site
There is an update for the AOD. Not sure if the feature was there before the update but you can double tap the notification to open it. If that is what you're talking about.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I found it kind of pointless for me as it gave a short portion of email, not enough, so I would have to open anyways. Or for hangouts it only gives a few messages, whereas I could have a lot more.

It could be useful to some people, just not me

That's fair. I used it a lot for texts, so I could see enough to know if I needed to unlock. A lot of time, when it is just a couple word answer I was looking for, the active display was perfect.

Zaku77

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I'm using it, but I far prefer Moto's active display. I miss the fewer steps to get into a notification and to unlock the phone.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
That's fair. I used it a lot for texts, so I could see enough to know if I needed to unlock. A lot of time, when it is just a couple word answer I was looking for, the active display was perfect.
I use my gear s2 to read short messages. But I could see where that could come in handy if you didn't have a Smartwatch

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Anybody notice a difference in unlocking via fingerprint when AOD is on? Seems slower to me when it's on. Could just be my imagination though.

Edit: NM I'm a dummy.

Last edited:

jt999aj

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
6e8a672a9f2febfa39a80067e978380c.jpg

So I'm getting an extra swipe screen when I'm using AOD and I select a notification from the lockscreen.

I press the home button to go from the AOD to the lockscreen.
I select the text message/notification.
Instead of going to the message, I am taken to a swipe to open screen.
Without AOD I do not have to swipe again.

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
I understand you can see the notifications but you cannot see the actual notification itself.

Meaning the only real thing I miss from my iPhone is when getting a text message the screen turns on and I can respond from the lock screen without unlocking the phone.

I'm pretty sure you cannot do this with this phone correct? Someone texts me and instead of seeing the sms icon the actual text message pops up and I can interact with it without unlocking the phone. Doesn't work on this correct?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I understand you can see the notifications but you cannot see the actual notification itself.

Meaning the only real thing I miss from my iPhone is when getting a text message the screen turns on and I can respond from the lock screen without unlocking the phone.

I'm pretty sure you cannot do this with this phone correct? Someone texts me and instead of seeing the sms icon the actual text message pops up and I can interact with it without unlocking the phone. Doesn't work on this correct?
No you can't but I can respond with the gear s2.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463