Always on screen...are you using it?

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Title basically says it, dip you use always on screen?

I'm using it now, but trying to decide if it's beneficial for me. I know it's nice to see the notification alerts on the screen, but the notification light blinking did the same thing without having something lit up on the screen all the time.

For me the biggest benefit is actually being able to see what notifications you have, but then again you can do that with the notification blinking light by changing the color for the notifications.

It does not appear to use much battery power so far, so who knows. Interested to see other thoughts.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
When Motorola introduced it's Active Display, I wanted it SO bad that now I'm kind of pretending that's what this is. I know they're different, but I'm trying to adjust to the differences and still get the use out of the Always On Display even with it's limitations. So for that reason, I have mine on. I have enjoyed it so far, but if I notice it's killing my battery too quickly, I'm afraid I might not be able to justify it being on. But for now, i'm enjoying it.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Yup. I like it a lot. I'll see how the battery holds up but so far bettery life is good, I am gonna keep using it.

wheelerpr

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
I like being able to see the time at a glance and what notifications I have.

Compared to the version I had on my Droid Turbo, I like that I can design the Samsung one and change colors. I like the Droid Turbo version better because I could see more details without opening the phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

From A Buick 8

Jul 14, 2016
Visit site
I am using it and I really like it. Shows me the date, time and my calendar events for the day. clicking the home button to see the time was something I did quite often in the past.

double923

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I use it but with schedule to turn on only during the day. I like it. I was afraid that it will cause the burned-in. It looks like it randomized the screen location. It should be safe in theory.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Yup. I like it a lot. I'll see how the battery holds up but so far bettery life is good, I am gonna keep using it.

Ditto - so far, so good - scheduled "on" from 9:00 AM to 11:00 PM... I don't really need it 24 hours so maybe save a bit of battery!

tinybfk

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I use it. Can see the time and important little things right there so I wake the phone up less.

James Pettengill

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
I was using it but then I customized a medium level battery saver and it won't work while using the battery saver feature. I guess it must burn too much juice. It was cool but I'd rather have the phone last longer through the day if it is that much of a drain on battery life.

Iva_LadyDiCaprio98

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
I've used AOD since I got my S7E and I love it. It's so convenient since I don't have to.turj on my screen every single time that I need to know the time especially at work lol plus you can set the time when you want AOD to be on. I usually have it set to turn off at 10pm and back on by 7am since I'm not really using it during those times because I'll be sleeping lol

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I haven't turned it on yet. I want to give the phone a good 2 weeks before I turn it on. That way I'll have a feel of my general battery life. I'm gonna test it after to see how much it affects battery life.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
When Motorola introduced it's Active Display, I wanted it SO bad that now I'm kind of pretending that's what this is. I know they're different, but I'm trying to adjust to the differences and still get the use out of the Always On Display even with it's limitations. So for that reason, I have mine on. I have enjoyed it so far, but if I notice it's killing my battery too quickly, I'm afraid I might not be able to justify it being on. But for now, i'm enjoying it.
I prefer Samsung aod over the Moto active display.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I prefer Samsung aod over the Moto active display.

In some things I do. I like the different face options, and I love that I can make it blue so that it matches my device. But I loved how much more interactive Moto's Active Display was/is. I think Samsung nailed the classy look of their display, but I found Moto's to be more practical and useful.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Title basically says it, dip you use always on screen?

I'm using it now, but trying to decide if it's beneficial for me. I know it's nice to see the notification alerts on the screen, but the notification light blinking did the same thing without having something lit up on the screen all the time.

For me the biggest benefit is actually being able to see what notifications you have, but then again you can do that with the notification blinking light by changing the color for the notifications.

It does not appear to use much battery power so far, so who knows. Interested to see other thoughts.

I must be missing something because I don't see how to change the LED notification light color without a third party app, and the one I've been playing with, Lightflow, doesn't seem to be playing very nicely with AOD.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I must be missing something because I don't see how to change the LED notification light color without a third party app, and the one I've been playing with, Lightflow, doesn't seem to be playing very nicely with AOD.
Usually you can change the color of the LED light in the settings of said app.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
When I had the S7 edge was not using but with Note 7 I use it. Always on display now shows notifications etc so feel it's much useful. With S7 was worried about battery life etc but now I decided screw it since I want to use all the available features. Have fast charging, wireless charging and will soon be getting a Samsung wireless charging case. So not much concern on the battery side personally.