Always on screen...are you using it?

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I understand you can see the notifications but you cannot see the actual notification itself.

Meaning the only real thing I miss from my iPhone is when getting a text message the screen turns on and I can respond from the lock screen without unlocking the phone.

I'm pretty sure you cannot do this with this phone correct? Someone texts me and instead of seeing the sms icon the actual text message pops up and I can interact with it without unlocking the phone. Doesn't work on this correct?

Textra can do that for text messages. I can't remember if it's on by default, but it's in the settings.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Textra can do that for text messages. I can't remember if it's on by default, but it's in the settings.
I do it with textra from the lock screen, you can't do it on the AOD screen. I think you can do it with Verizon messages also

I think you have to have the pop up notifications turned on, and turn on the notification for lock screen in the settings of those apps. Remember if you allow it to display over the lock screen, anyone that picks your phone up will see the message and can reply to that message. Textra offers a timeout for displayed on lock screen also. Textra is a very nice texting app

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
AMOLED is much better on battery life than the MXPE with LCD. Seems silly with LCD since whole display is turned on for a small amount of info.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I like it a lot also, and it doesn't seem to affect battery life much, having the Amoled screen.

Strong_Genetics

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
17cbec16699901e961533c9b1ebc3cf0.jpg

This is my config.....Im gonna use it cause I pull my phone out alot at work for the time ....Well until I get my Gear Fit 2 ....

shief24

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I don't use it on my s7 edge. While at work I don't like to know the time lol. Feels like it goes by slower when I'm always glancing. Same reason I don't wear a watch.

boriqua2000

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
1472114812997.jpg i don"t use it because i like seeing my lock screen wallpaper and you can't unlock the phone from the always on display. This wallpaper is really bright and shows off the note 7s beautiful display.

AS7Edge

May 13, 2016
Visit site
Turned it on yesterday and didn't see a battery drain, I like it and will continue to use it. This note seems much more refined than the s7edge, lots of little things. On the s7edge I would see a good chunk of battery drain using the AOD .

Dukins

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I use it now that it shows 3rd party notifications. I especially like the layout where I can use any photo I want.

Todd Anthony1

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
I checked the AOD settings and can't find a way to add from my images ??

Only options were clocks , calender and their own images so please do share how you did this !?! TIA

Go into the Always On Display section in settings. At the bottom click ABOUT ALWAYS ON DISPLAY. Make sure it is version 1.7.29. if it isn't, it should give you an option to update it right then and there. If you are on that version, go to LAYOUTS, Content to Show = CLOCK, and then scroll to the very last one on the bottom. That AOD lets you use your own photo. :)

omgitselaine

Banned
Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
Go into the Always On Display section in settings. At the bottom click ABOUT ALWAYS ON DISPLAY. Make sure it is version 1.7.29. if it isn't, it should give you an option to update it right then and there. If you are on that version, go to LAYOUTS, Content to Show = CLOCK, and then scroll to the very last one on the bottom. That AOD lets you use your own photo. :)
Thank you for this !!! I actually like the clock setting so I'll use that most of the time.

It's nice to be able to change it when I want to ........ though not to a Batman logo haaaa !!

Last edited: