08-25-2016 03:11 PM
73 123
tools
    I declare Shenanigans. I wouldn't consider milliseconds to be "significantly faster" on a feature deprived iDevice.
    That's actually an interesting point. The iPhone does seem to be milliseconds faster, but it does so much less. So really, Android is arguably faster because it's ALMOST keeping up with an OS that does nothing. That's actually incredibly impressive to me and I hadn't really looked at it from that angle before. Imagine how slow iOS would be if it wasn't just an app drawer of an OS.
    08-23-2016 12:55 PM
    I think people underestimate the advantage Apple has with their closed ecosystem. They control everything from the hardware to the OS. Nothing they don't want get's in and everything is optimized. The downside of this is you get less freedom. This is the same argument with OS X vs Windows as well. So I am not surprised an iPhone may be a bit snappier and faster than an Android phone, it still doesn't change the fact that I will never own an iPhone.
    Poppy59 likes this.
    08-23-2016 12:56 PM
    I don't care about speed test. I prefer Android to crapple.

Posted via the Android Central App
    As a former motorcycle racer, I can attest, that SPEED is not everything, not even close. It is PRECISION, TECHNIQUE, AND EXECUTION that makes winners..
    recDNA and Poppy59 like this.
    08-23-2016 01:10 PM
    As a former motorcycle racer, I can attest, that SPEED is not everything, not even close. It is PRECISION, TECHNIQUE, AND EXECUTION that makes winners..
    Speed does matter if your app is slow as hell it is an issue. To this otherwise is mindless fandroid defensiveness.

If the note 7 out performed you'd be bragging.

The bigger question is why? The year old iPhone has inferior hardware and less ram doesn't it? Is it a simple tuning issue?
    08-23-2016 01:20 PM
    That's actually an interesting point. The iPhone does seem to be milliseconds faster, but it does so much less. So really, Android is arguably faster because it's ALMOST keeping up with an OS that does nothing. That's actually incredibly impressive to me and I hadn't really looked at it from that angle before. Imagine how slow iOS would be if it wasn't just an app drawer of an OS.
    So much less? They run all the same apps. My wife's iPhone actually runs smoother over all and has more clean graphic transitions than droid. Her phone has almost 300 apps on it and no slow down. Even if you hate apple you should make informed comments.

I'm guessing the apple gpu may be better helping off load some of the cpu functions.
    08-23-2016 01:26 PM
    Speed does matter if your app is slow as hell it is an issue. To this otherwise is mindless fandroid defensiveness.

The bigger question is why? The year old iPhone has inferior hardware and less ram doesn't it? Is it a simple tuning issue?
    And if you consider the apps opening as "slow as he**", that's up to you. The vast majority of people consider the Note 7 as snappy and fluid. Myself included. And the answer to your bigger question is that the old iPhone is 100% locked down by apple, allowing for superior control and optimization. Also, the iPhone does nothing other than the basics of an app drawer and web browsing so it's not like the OS is being taxed.
    Poppy59 likes this.
    08-23-2016 01:26 PM
    So much less? They run all the same apps. My wife's iPhone actually runs smoother over all and has more clean graphic transitions than droid. Her phone has almost 300 apps on it and no slow down. Even if you hate apple you should make informed comments.

I'm guessing the apple gpu may be better helping off load some of the cpu functions.
    What do you mean the transitions are more clean than droid? Which Droid? All droid's are android, not all android's are droid's. Before telling others to make informed comments, you might do the same and set the example.

And i'm pretty sure Apple doesn't run S Notes or the Samsung Theme/Wallpaper/App program. Or the scrollable widgets that don't require you to open the app entirely. Or the ability to create gifs using the s pen.
    08-23-2016 01:28 PM
    And if you consider the apps opening as "slow as he**", that's up to you. The vast majority of people consider the Note 7 as snappy and fluid. Myself included. And the answer to your bigger question is that the old iPhone is 100% locked down by apple, allowing for superior control and optimization. Also, the iPhone does nothing other than the basics of an app drawer and web browsing so it's not like the OS is being taxed.
    The lock down is why I don't want an iPhone. I like access to the Filesystem and the customization ability. (And I like Google in general)

However I think you may have a point about the optimization. Their hardware and their software. I think you may have hit on the why.

Samsung makes awesome hardware!!! They cannot code for shot though. I'm disabling what I can of theirs and replacing it with the corresponding Google app. Hopefully that will help me optimize my Note 7

Ty. You have good insight.
    08-23-2016 01:31 PM
    The lock down is why I don't want an iPhone. I like access to the Filesystem and the customization ability. (And I like Google in general)

However I think you may have a point about the optimization. Their hardware and their software. I think you may have hit on the why.

Samsung makes awesome hardware!!! They cannot code for shot though. I'm disabling what I can of theirs and replacing it with the corresponding Google app. Hopefully that will help me optimize my Note 7

Ty. You have good insight.
    Touchwiz has always been a drag when it comes to performance. But at the same time, I still take the features all day, every day. That more than makes up for it to me.
    Poppy59 likes this.
    08-23-2016 01:33 PM
    Even if it's true that the Note 7 isn't as fast or fluid out of the box than an iPhone, are there tweaks that can be made to change that? If so, what are they?
    08-25-2016 11:21 AM
    Android isn't as fast or efficient as iOS. Just a fact.
    08-25-2016 11:28 AM
    Even if it's true that the Note 7 isn't as fast or fluid out of the box than an iPhone, are there tweaks that can be made to change that? If so, what are they?
    Anything and everything. That is the difference in Android and iOS, Android is full of customizations and choices, iOS is not.
    08-25-2016 11:53 AM
    I wish the A chip was in the Note 7, since even the few year old A6 blows the 820 away for CPU performance. For some emulators it makes a big difference. For everything else though, the 820 with current apps is more than fine. MAME 139 is the one app where the Apple chip would be great.

In other words, most people will fine the Note 7 outstanding overall. Samsung just needs to update the 820 to the same dev level as their own chip's firmware.
    08-25-2016 11:55 AM
    Android isn't as fast or efficient as iOS. Just a fact.
    Yep, if designing for one platform it is much simpler to be more efficient. Android hardware fragmentation is a negative in that regard. In real world though, it is a slight negative compared to all the positives that Android offers being less constrained for the user.
    08-25-2016 12:00 PM
    08-25-2016 12:09 PM
    Should have posted this here:

Folks, there are reasons (to this point) why Apple left the iPhones at FHD for displays: Battery life and performance (Apple stated that and not my conjecture). If you change the the Note 7 to FHD, it performs faster than with QHD and the battery life lasts iPhone 6+ level. Even at FHD, my N7 still looks better than my son's iPhone due to the better contrast.
    Most of the benchmarks are tech funny, since compare a device that is pushing half the pixels. The impact to the GPU, cache, app and memory management is huge.
    08-25-2016 12:14 PM
    I wish the A chip was in the Note 7, since even the few year old A6 blows the 820 away for CPU performance. For some emulators it makes a big difference. For everything else though, the 820 with current apps is more than fine. MAME 139 is the one app where the Apple chip would be great.

In other words, most people will fine the Note 7 outstanding overall. Samsung just needs to update the 820 to the same dev level as their own chip's firmware.
    Ok then... Let's stick the a6 chip in the note 7...I can't really believe that that would improve performance.
    08-25-2016 01:09 PM

The iPhone runs at half the resolution of the Note 7 (or any other flagship Android device), so that means the load on the iPhone is already less than what the Android phones have. iPhones also have a lot less features and customization than Android phones. That is a fact. The Note 7 is an easy example of that.
    LegalAmerican likes this.
    08-25-2016 01:14 PM

Seems like apps like asphalt just aren't optimised to perform on the note 7.
    Also Samsung doesn't seem to have optimised the snapdragon variant as much as the exynos.
    And then there's the fact that android does more.

Not sure about this but the full disk encryption on android is software side as opposed to Apple's hardware side, and its more taxing on reading storage. And Apple's storage is somehow different and better anyway I think.
    08-25-2016 01:46 PM
    I'm in IT business I get to play with just about any device. I always tell people if you are a novice and like simple things go with Apple but if you want top to button customization and never ending features without restrictions go with droid. I look at itunes and I get ready to vomit. Not to mention the whole apple id and sync this with that and this gross get me a bucket. You want a dummy phone get iphone you want something you will enjoy customizing and having fun with get a droid PERIOD.
    08-25-2016 02:39 PM
    Ok then... Let's stick the a6 chip in the note 7...I can't really believe that that would improve performance.
    Actually, it would help a lot with CPU heavy apps and probably choke some with GPU heavy apps. The Apple chip in the phones is currently intended for FHD. Bigger footprint (battery and heat solution) on the tablets for a more robust GPU, hence the higher display res on the iPads.

The speed test does not account or weight the FHD vs QHD factor and that is HEAVY. Poor science.
    08-25-2016 03:00 PM
    Wow... really. Did you come here to gloat? My flip phone is faster than my Note 7 and your iPhone, but much like your iPhone, I would far rather have my Note. I couldn't care less about opening 300 apps in 2 minutes. I like my features, and if they cost me speed, then so be it. The iOS system is getting very old, and stale. Its apps are tightly wrapped into the OS, because they control every little part of the OS, and leave no customization to the user.

If someone said iPhone OS or Touchwiz, but remember touchwiz is going to be slower, I would still take TW any time. Call me a fanboy, whatever, I like my phone.. its better than be an iSheep.

(Oh and this maybe news to you... but there have been several threads already on this video)
    Ugh. Whenever I read "isheep" I want to destroy every Android phone I see with a sledge hammer. So stupid.

Just because someone chose a phone that works better for them makes them stupid? Sigh. I'll never understand.

Back to the topic at hand. I have a 6S+ and love it. That being said it is Much faster, and smoother than my Note 7 will ever be.

But I love my Note. I've owned a Note since the Note 2 and loved the Note line since the Note 3.

I love that Android allows me to do things like set notification and ring tones without being a pita and causing me headaches. I don't have to use iTunes to get ring tones and that is great.

I don't have to jailbreak to have a file system or to make my phone mine. I can also download files and make my phone look and feel and operate any way that I want.

I also like that if the keyboard or calendar sucks I can replace it as the default.

So yes, Android is a trade off. You're trading: speed, OS updates, and perhaps security (assuming you are a twit and you download things willy nilly from unknown sources ).

For me the trade is worth it. I love making my phone mine and playing with new apps that create entirely new experiences.
    08-25-2016 03:10 PM
    We are going to close this down (instead of merging it all) and use one thread for the lag issue. No needs for 2-3-4 threads about it .

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...elievable.html

Thanks.
    08-25-2016 03:11 PM
73 123