10-04-2016 10:08 AM
958 ... 89101112 ...
tools
    I wonder if there's anyone else besides me who is using an Exynos-powered Note7.
    08-25-2016 12:59 AM
    Opening the box and having the phone lag is hardly a user problem. I also spent a full day disabling stuff and restarting the phone. Watch reviews of the phone there all lagging. Like I said the phone isn't to bad screen,camera,spen. If your use to a laggy phone from the note or Samsung brand of phones it won't bother you. The gif maker was a major let Down though ;(
    I've watch a bunch of Galaxy reviews and haven't seen any lag. Only Flossy Carter's review mentions lag and he said that it is just occasional and definitely not "unbearable".
    08-25-2016 01:04 AM
    Then those who like their Samsung phones are probably used to the lag, just don't notice or care maybe, I don't know. Whats kind of interesting is the ones who complain about every Samsung lagging then step up with another fistful of 100's , plop em down and get another laggy device. Why'd ya think this time it would be different?
    My only Samsung was an S6 which I suppose lagged, I did't really notice, or it didn't bother me enough to notice for what I used it for, so I'm probably one of those guys who are less critical. I just don't like other things about Samsung so doubtful I'd get another, but at least I'd probably not notice the lag if I did.
    08-25-2016 01:41 AM
    Well i came from an iPhone 6s plus, really not seeing what the fuss is about so far
    08-25-2016 02:12 AM
    Really surprised barely anyone has the sense to mention what version they're using and whether they have carrier bloat or not. Would think those are fairly important points.
    belodion likes this.
    08-25-2016 02:26 AM
    OK so I disabled S Health, S Voice and Samsung + and it is significantly smoother now. Try it!
    I just did that and will see if that makes a difference
    08-25-2016 04:27 AM
    I haven't really encountered anything out of the normal myself. There's bound to be instances where it stutters, but every phone does that. Scrolling is quick, app launching is quick, the camera fires up extremely quick, and typing hasn't been a problem whatsoever (granted I'm using Google's keyboard).

But this happens every year. Wouldn't be a Galaxy launch if it didn't.

Posted via the Android Central App
    (removed by Moderator) I'd like to see videos of this supposed "lag".
    08-25-2016 05:14 AM
    I thought I'd share my thoughts on this.

First, let me start by saying that no. My Note7 is not invincible to lag. ALL phones lag at some point. Even my iPad Pro lags at times.

However, I will say that so far, my Note7 has been performing quite well. Is it as fast as a Nexus or an iPhone? Of course not, but I do appreciate the extra features that my Note provides, such as the S Pen features, resizable windows and more, which I feel are worth trading a couple of milliseconds of app launch times for.

That said, it's not perfect. SwiftKey lags horribly. It takes about a second or two for some keys to register at times when you type fast. Weirdly, the stock keyboard is perfectly fine, and I did notice that SwiftKey did lag a bit on my old HTC One M7 running a GPe ROM, so I'm not blaming TW......yet.

So far, though, my current Samsung experience has been a refreshing one since ditching them back in 2013 for the HTC One M7 due to the horrendous state of TouchWiz at the time. I haven't experienced serious frame stutters nor did I feel that I was missing a beat after switching back and forth from my iPad Pro to my Note7.

In the end, it comes down to this. Do you prioritize speed and don't care about the extras? Go Nexus or iPhone. If you want features and more capabilities at the cost of a bit of snappiness, go with a Samsung or any other skinned Android device. In an ideal world, there would be a phone that's as fast as a Nexus or an iPhone while also filled to the absolute brim with features like a Samsung, but that hasn't cropped up yet, and likely won't for a while.

For the record, my unit is an SM-N930F variant, running on an Exynos 8890 with 4GB of RAM, running a different-ish build of the software on the August 1st security patch.
    I noticed the same issues with SwiftKey and even Google Keyboard which I never had issues with in the past, I had to go back to the stock Samsung keyboard also and no issues now, I'm not going to use 3rd party keyboards with this phone.
    08-25-2016 05:59 AM
    It is at .5. I changed it when I was experiencing the lag and changing the app animation didn't help.
    So far changing the scaling from small to large, I see a difference.
    This really worked for me, thank you!
    08-25-2016 06:00 AM
    XDA article mentions overall performance is not up to par with the competition. Can some owners please post their Octane 2.0 JavaScript Benchmark score, for instance? It would be interesting to compare snapdragon vs Exynos versions
    neil123456 likes this.
    08-25-2016 06:17 AM
    Most of the time, my AT&T Note 7 is instantly responsive. And I've done nothing to debloat or to limit any features or apps.

However, on two occasions during the six days I've had the phone, it's gotten into a mode where it lags badly. Scrolling is jerky, and although characters appear immediately when I type them, I can type three or four characters with no sound or vibration feedback. Then, there will be a belated, rapid-fire sequence of three or four clicks and vibrations.

When this happens, I've tried closing all apps and engaging Airplane mode, but the lag continues. But when I reboot, the phone goes back to normal and the lag disappears, even with heavy use.

So it's not a matter of the phone being underpowered or overloaded. There's just some intermittent glitch that can put it into a laggy mode. Because it's happened to me only twice, I have no idea what could be triggering it. But it's presumably something that can be fixed in a forthcoming software release.
    08-25-2016 06:43 AM
    Yeah a couple of people used it on the Note 5. I never used it and I just disabled some of the bloat, it went.

I use SVoice and Samsung Plus a lot.
    I use s health too... Bloat is relative to the user... It is only bloat for you if you don't use it
    08-25-2016 07:51 AM
    (removed by Moderator) I'd like to see videos of this supposed "lag".
    I would love to see these videos too
    08-25-2016 07:55 AM
    I've yet to see a lag on my Note 7. The last phone that I had that had an issue with lag was my Note 4 and that was when we received the software update. My last phone was the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Plus and that NEVER lagged. I don't know what is it that some people are doing on their phones that say that their phone lags. I also want to see videos of this supposed lag that some people are talking about but of course if you're intentionally trying to make it lag. It's funny how some of you complain about it every damn year and every damn year you buy a Samsung phone.
    08-25-2016 08:04 AM
    I've yet to see a lag on my Note 7. The last phone that I had that had an issue with lag was my Note 4 and that was when we received the software update. My last phone was the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Plus and that NEVER lagged. I don't know what is it that some people are doing on their phones that say that their phone lags. I also want to see videos of this supposed lag that some people are talking about but of course if you're intentionally trying to make it lag. It's funny how some of you complain about it every damn year and every damn year you buy a Samsung phone.
    Well you can't say the display sucks. You can't say the camera sucks. You can't say the battery sucks. You can't say the features suck. You can't say the build quality sucks. You can't even really say the software design sucks this year. So what's left? Go with the time-tested "TouchWiz lags".

What I'll never understand is why people get so upset that another phone is superior to the one they like. I'm a Nexus guy----it doesn't bother me that the Note 7 is a better phone than the 6P. It wouldn't bother me if the iPhone 7 Plus was better than this Note. The better Samsung is, the more others will push to compete and make better devices. The better Apple is, the better Samsung will try to be.
    qnet and akin_t like this.
    08-25-2016 08:17 AM
    I don't think that anybody is really bothered by it. Some people just do not like it when a phone is considered by the press to be the best phone (or at least from a big portion of the press), but in reality has basic and important issues, at least for some of the devices. Missinforming people and misleading them is not really nice. The XDA article is trying to point out performance issues. Read the Android Authority review. They love the phone, but also mention that the performance is not very good. The press has a job: To properly inform people. Misleading them (for whatever reason) is not nice.
    I do not buy for a second that the Note 7 is the best phone out there. Not even for a millisecond.
    Everyone has a different taste, different needs. What is "the best" for me, is not necessarily "the best" for you. Having said that, tech blogs that say this is the phone of the year, and are not mentioning the performance issues of this device, are not very professional, or have a hidden agenda.
    The Android Authority review is an example of a review that is honest. They loved the phone and also mentioned that performance was not great. This kind of review I accept and respect, even if I do not share the opinions stated in that review.
    My personal opinion about the Samsung S7 and Note 7 phones is very simple: Samsung has implemented design elements of premium phones, only because they were accused in the past for using cheap materials. I do not see the same care and attention to detail, as seen on the iPhone and many HTC devices.
    The Samsung phones might look beautiful, but the curved display is not really providing an added value (my opinion). The speaker is also very mediocre, if you care about audio. All in all, the Samsung phones of this year are ok, but nothing more than that. I know that many people will disagree with that and I respect that. We all have our own opinion.
    As far as the performance issues concern, I believe what has been reported so far. The Samsung track record in regards to fluidity of the UI is not exactly good. I have to say though, I haven't touched a Note 7 myself (it is not available here in Germany yet).
    I have used the S7 Edge of my brother and I can see lag. My brother on the other side, loves his S7 Edge. He doesn't see any lag whatsoever..
    08-25-2016 08:39 AM
    I don't think that anybody is really bothered by it. Some people just do not like it when a phone is considered by the press to be the best phone (or at least from a big portion of the press), but in reality has basic and important issues, at least for some of the devices. Missinforming people and misleading them is not really nice. The XDA article is trying to point out performance issues. Read the Android Authority review. They love the phone, but also mention that the performance is not very good. The press has a job: To properly inform people. Misleading them (for whatever reason) is not nice.
    I do not buy for a second that the Note 7 is the best phone out there. Not even for a millisecond.
    Everyone has a different taste, different needs. What is "the best" for me, is not necessarily "the best" for you. Having said that, tech blogs that say this is the phone of the year, and are not mentioning the performance issues of this device, are not very professional, or have a hidden agenda.
    The Android Authority review is an example of a review that is honest. They loved the phone and also mentioned that performance was not great. This kind of review I accept and respect, even if I do not share the opinions stated in that review.
    My personal opinion about the Samsung S7 and Note 7 phones is very simple: Samsung has implemented design elements of premium phones, only because they were accused in the past for using cheap materials. I do not see the same care and attention to detail, as seen on the iPhone and many HTC devices.
    The Samsung phones might look beautiful, but the curved display is not really providing an added value (my opinion). The speaker is also very mediocre, if you care about audio. All in all, the Samsung phones of this year are ok, but nothing more than that. I know that many people will disagree with that and I respect that. We all have our own opinion.
    As far as the performance issues concern, I believe what has been reported so far. The Samsung track record in regards to fluidity of the UI is not exactly good. I have to say though, I haven't touched a Note 7 myself (it is not available here in Germany yet).
    I have used the S7 Edge of my brother and I can see lag. My brother on the other side, loves his S7 Edge. He doesn't see any lag whatsoever..
    So you've had no experience with the device itself, own an HTC 10, and have a problem with media outlets reporting this as "phone of the year". If anyone had any questions on why you aren't a fan, I think this cleared that up.
    08-25-2016 08:49 AM
    See I didn't perceive it as lag on my phone, it was plenty fast for me. The issue in my book was the animation choppiness and everyone's favorite word "jank". I think alot of it was due to AT&T just loading the phone up with nonsense, and the fact that touchwiz launcher is just hot hot garbage.

But really, loved the Note, but returned it so I could look into an Exynos unlocked version. I don't think I can buy carrier phones anymore. There so much extra trash loaded on them it just makes my heart hurt. It's been a good year since I've had one, and its unbelievable what they get away with.
    Could you keep us updated on the Exynos unlocked handset please as this is the route I am hoping to go down.
    08-25-2016 09:00 AM
    Could you keep us updated on the Exynos unlocked handset please as this is the route I am hoping to go down.
    For sure, It may be a while though everything I'm seeing on Amazon is like 950+ for the N930F version. Hopefully those prices will start to come down some
    08-25-2016 09:05 AM
    I have one. SM-N930F.

So far, performance is good, but it does lag at times when you really push it.

Some of my other phones do lag in similar situations, so I wouldn't call it a big deal.

I will say this, though. If you're used to the speed and relative fluidity of the UI on a Nexus, the Note might feel a little slow in comparison due to the animations.
    08-25-2016 09:09 AM
    It always seems to be people that haven't posted in any other thread in the device's forum, too. Which definitely seems suspect.

That being said, my Note 4 did have a lot of lag but it was still an awesome device.
    It's not like I've never owned a Samsung device that lagged a little. It happens. Happened a lot with older versions of TouchWiz because they just didn't seem to care about the experience. Same with their build quality. After years of getting beat over the head with it, they listened and significantly improved their build quality and software experience.

The second that iPhone video came out with the app loading test, there came all the same people out of the woodwork claiming their phone "lagged". I think it's safe to be skeptical that a good portion of said people don't even own the device. Is the performance perfect? No. Is it laggy by any means? Not at all.
    LegalAmerican likes this.
    08-25-2016 09:20 AM
    Ladies and gentlemen, please keep discussion productive and on topic. Personal attacks, insults, taking threads off topic and other disruptive posting behaviors are not acceptable. If you do not like a post, please behave like an adult and move on, or if you feel it violates the forum rules, please report it. At no point should members be calling each other out in posts. Thanks.
    08-25-2016 09:22 AM
    It's not like I've never owned a Samsung device that lagged a little. It happens. Happened a lot with older versions of TouchWiz because they just didn't seem to care about the experience. Same with their build quality. After years of getting beat over the head with it, they listened and significantly improved their build quality and software experience.

The second that iPhone video came out with the app loading test, there came all the same people out of the woodwork claiming their phone "lagged". I think it's safe to be skeptical that a good portion of said people don't even own the device. Is the performance perfect? No. Is it laggy by any means? Not at all.

I haven't seen that iPhone video, nor do I plan in doing so.

Justify it all you want, but I really did expect more out of this "premium" device.
    08-25-2016 09:30 AM
    I have one. SM-N930F.

So far, performance is good, but it does lag at times when you really push it.

Some of my other phones do lag in similar situations, so I wouldn't call it a big deal.

I will say this, though. If you're used to the speed and relative fluidity of the UI on a Nexus, the Note might feel a little slow in comparison due to the animations.
    I wouldn't even say the Nexus is faster. More fluid? Definitely. The UI is about as minimal as you can get. What people need to keep in mind is the type of phone you're getting. The Note 7 is the most feature-packed device there is out there today. The Nexus 6P? One of the least feature-packed devices out there today. Every year, the same crowd proclaims "Oh man, if only this ran stock Android" to the new Samsung devices. Then you'd be trading Samsung's camera app for Google's. You'd lose all S Pen functionality. You'd lose Samsung's vastly improved power saving modes. You'd lose all the features that make this device what it is.

It's absolutely fair to point out that Samsung devices aren't as smooth as a Nexus or iPhone. It's also fair to point out that Samsung devices are infinitely more capable as a result of losing that smoothness, too. Anyone who's owned these devices can attest to that stuff. But to call it a complete lagfest? Come on now. It's stuff like that that leads me to believe half these people don't even own the phone.
    08-25-2016 09:34 AM
    I have a t-mobile N7 and it does lag in certain situations (stuttering during scrolling, etc), especially compared to my N5.

I think it's unfair of people with phones who don't lag to say that just because theirs doesn't, no phones do. I would never tell someone who says their phone doesn't lag that it does lag, so please don't say my lag isn't real - especially if we don't have the same carrier.

My phone also gets absurdly hot sometimes.

I'll deal with the lag in order to get expandable storage and a free 256gb sd card. If not for that I'd probably go back to the N5.
    08-25-2016 09:35 AM
958 ... 89101112 ...