10-04-2016 10:08 AM
958 ... 910111213 ...
tools
    I wouldn't even say the Nexus is faster. More fluid? Definitely. The UI is about as minimal as you can get. What people need to keep in mind is the type of phone you're getting. The Note 7 is the most feature-packed device there is out there today. The Nexus 6P? One of the least feature-packed devices out there today. Every year, the same crowd proclaims "Oh man, if only this ran stock Android" to the new Samsung devices. Then you'd be trading Samsung's camera app for Google's. You'd lose all S Pen functionality. You'd lose Samsung's vastly improved power saving modes. You'd lose all the features that make this device what it is.

It's absolutely fair to point out that Samsung devices aren't as smooth as a Nexus or iPhone. It's also fair to point out that Samsung devices are infinitely more capable as a result of losing that smoothness, too. Anyone who's owned these devices can attest to that stuff. But to call it a complete lagfest? Come on now. It's stuff like that that leads me to believe half these people don't even own the phone.
    Definitely. If you're buying a Samsung, chances are, you're likely going to use some of the extra features that comes with the device.

I use the S Pen a lot on my Note, and I would trade the increased flexibility and functionality that my Note has over a few milliseconds of time saved when opening an app. Of course, your mileage will certainly vary.

Like everything, Samsung phones are not for everyone, hence why I keep repeating the line "Buy what you want".
    queenren likes this.
    08-25-2016 09:40 AM
    I am not having much "lag" per say but there are a few software issues im having with apps that I use literally every day that are somewhat deal breakers. I use waze for navigation exclusively. Today I cannot get the app to close or to open properly.
    08-25-2016 09:42 AM
    I am not having much "lag" per say but there are a few software issues im having with apps that I use literally every day that are somewhat deal breakers. I use waze for navigation exclusively. Today I cannot get the app to close or to open properly.
    08-25-2016 09:45 AM
    I don't think that anybody is really bothered by it. Some people just do not like it when a phone is considered by the press to be the best phone (or at least from a big portion of the press), but in reality has basic and important issues, at least for some of the devices. Missinforming people and misleading them is not really nice. The XDA article is trying to point out performance issues. Read the Android Authority review. They love the phone, but also mention that the performance is not very good. The press has a job: To properly inform people. Misleading them (for whatever reason) is not nice.
    I do not buy for a second that the Note 7 is the best phone out there. Not even for a millisecond.
    Everyone has a different taste, different needs. What is "the best" for me, is not necessarily "the best" for you. Having said that, tech blogs that say this is the phone of the year, and are not mentioning the performance issues of this device, are not very professional, or have a hidden agenda.
    The Android Authority review is an example of a review that is honest. They loved the phone and also mentioned that performance was not great. This kind of review I accept and respect, even if I do not share the opinions stated in that review.
    My personal opinion about the Samsung S7 and Note 7 phones is very simple: Samsung has implemented design elements of premium phones, only because they were accused in the past for using cheap materials. I do not see the same care and attention to detail, as seen on the iPhone and many HTC devices.
    The Samsung phones might look beautiful, but the curved display is not really providing an added value (my opinion). The speaker is also very mediocre, if you care about audio. All in all, the Samsung phones of this year are ok, but nothing more than that. I know that many people will disagree with that and I respect that. We all have our own opinion.
    As far as the performance issues concern, I believe what has been reported so far. The Samsung track record in regards to fluidity of the UI is not exactly good. I have to say though, I haven't touched a Note 7 myself (it is not available here in Germany yet).
    I have used the S7 Edge of my brother and I can see lag. My brother on the other side, loves his S7 Edge. He doesn't see any lag whatsoever..
    There is only one metric by which you could begin to judge whether a phone is 'phone of the year' and that is customer satisfaction. The galaxy note 5 already had the highest customer satisfaction rate according to consumer reports. This is supported by most reviews.

And yet, you come along, with no experience with the phone, and criticise all that.
    SteelGator and anon(5630457) like this.
    08-25-2016 09:47 AM
    To me, the issue isn't does Samsung lag in general, or is a Note 7 faster than a Nexus 6p or an iPhone 6s plus.

The only thing I care about is whether my Note 7 performs better than my Note 5 (running lollipop) and so far it doesn't.
    08-25-2016 10:13 AM
    I've only encountered any kind of lag in two places. As someone else mentioned, pulling down the notification shade while in maps navigation was very laggy. Also, while using Google keyboard if I hold down the backspace key to delete a lot of words or an entire sentence, that gets laggy as well. Overall, though, I'm extremely happy with the phone. This is my first Samsung device coming from the last 3 generations of the Moto X and I haven't considered returning this thing even for a second.
    08-25-2016 10:19 AM
    Here is what I wonder (and maybe someone already knows):

How much of the iPhone appearing faster is because of the custom storage solution? Having used an iPhone 6s+ for about a month I can say that nothing a normal person would be doing would cause a significant slowdown. Not even downloading a crapload of app updates would cause a stutter.

That being said, it wasn't perfect (I don't want to sound like that's what I'm claiming). But it was pretty difficult to make it slow down at all.

This also makes me wonder if Apple is doing some smart cache/RAM management. With the storage being so fast it seems likely that they could cache the last thing you do with an app when it's kicked from memory. Then when you open that app again, instead of calling for a refresh from network (which is infinitely slower than onboard storage or memory) they just pull that cache and you're on your way. It's fast enough that this would be imperceptible to user. Since that's also the last thing YOU did with that app you will think it just came from memory.

I'm sure this could be tested, but I don't have an iPhone to do it. This could also be a rabbit hole of "yeah, but they could do THIS to get around THAT" type of discussion when things like "but what about reboots" are brought up.

What I'm saying is, Apple has a ton of really smart engineers doing ingenious things in iOS. They could have devised a way to improve the user experience so that RAM management isn't so in-your-face.
    08-25-2016 10:24 AM
    Keyboard lag is prevalent on my Note 7 and S7E. Both have been reset, and my S7E is my work device, so it's running with basically no apps installed and I still have keyboard lag.

N7 is going back and I'm sticking with my 6P for another year.
    08-25-2016 10:32 AM

How much of the iPhone appearing faster is because of the custom storage solution? Having used an iPhone 6s+ for about a month I can say that nothing a normal person would be doing would cause a significant slowdown. Not even downloading a crapload of app updates would cause a stutter.

That being said, it wasn't perfect (I don't want to sound like that's what I'm claiming). But it was pretty difficult to make it slow down at all.

This also makes me wonder if Apple is doing some smart cache/RAM management. With the storage being so fast it seems likely that they could cache the last thing you do with an app when it's kicked from memory. Then when you open that app again, instead of calling for a refresh from network (which is infinitely slower than onboard storage or memory) they just pull that cache and you're on your way. It's fast enough that this would be imperceptible to user. Since that's also the last thing YOU did with that app you will think it just came from memory.

I'm sure this could be tested, but I don't have an iPhone to do it. This could also be a rabbit hole of "yeah, but they could do THIS to get around THAT" type of discussion when things like "but what about reboots" are brought up.

What I'm saying is, Apple has a ton of really smart engineers doing ingenious things in iOS. They could have devised a way to improve the user experience so that RAM management isn't so in-your-face.
    I have the iPad Pro 12.9, which has the same storage controller as the iPhone 6s.

Perhaps I might give it a shot.
    08-25-2016 10:33 AM
    Zero lag issues but the again I don't feel the need to have 200 apps installed at all times. Also,it may just be a case of your device updating apps in the background causing the lag. Try going into airplane mode and see of the lag still persist.
    08-25-2016 10:39 AM

That's interesting. I'd be curious to know if that's the case or not.
    08-25-2016 10:40 AM

I've been saying something similar for the past couple years. iOS is slow to adopt new features and people say they don't innovate. I don't believe that at all! I believe Apple innovates in ways a person would never see. It's not a bunch of new features, it's perfecting what's underneath. Sure, it's not as flashy as a million new features every year but the kinds of under the hood improvements they make are ingenious nonetheless.
    Lobwedgephil likes this.
    08-25-2016 10:41 AM
    I believe that to be a issue with Waze. I'm having the same issue on the head unit in my car. App doesn't want to close. Having problems connecting with the server. Speedometer showing I'm going 50mph when I'm stopped at a light.
    08-25-2016 10:42 AM
    I wonder if there's anyone else besides me who is using an Exynos-powered Note7.

How is your Exynos running? Also is it unlocked?

Update- sorry just seen your earlier response.
    08-25-2016 10:48 AM
    I absolutel agree with you. I have had the AT&T Note 7 for 6 days now and as far az performance goes it's disastrous. It alternates between running very fast and then lagging very severely.
    I applied the AT&T OTA update yesterday and it's now worse plus it now has intermittent keyboard lag too. This phone is not ready for prime time and I'll be returning the peace of junk back to BestBuy.

I used an international Note 5 that runs circles around this phone. I think I'll try to get an International Note 7 from Amazon when available.
    08-25-2016 10:49 AM
    I absolutel agree with you. I have had the AT&T Note 7 for 6 days now and as far az performance goes it's disastrous. It alternates between running very fast and then lagging very severely.
    I applied the AT&T OTA update yesterday and it's now worse plus it now has intermittent keyboard lag too. This phone is not ready for prime time and I'll be returning the peace of junk back to BestBuy.

I used an international Note 5 that runs circles around this phone. I think I'll try to get an International Note 7 from Amazon when available.
    Did you factory reset after the update was applied? If not, I would give that a whirl.

How come you just didn't wait and get an international model? You're a member here on AC so you know that our carrier phones always... Well most of the time suck when compared to the performance of the international models.

With that said, I got the Sprint model and it works great. There is a little lag here and there, but not enough to make me want to return this beauty. I don't think there's any phone out there that doesn't have lag at some point... Including the iphones, nexus, htc's and the international phones.
    08-25-2016 11:00 AM
    I have the iPad Pro 12.9, which has the same storage controller as the iPhone 6s.

Perhaps I might give it a shot.
    I have that too, but it has more RAM than the iPhone. There's also the possibility that RAM management isn't identical on tablet versus phone.
    08-25-2016 11:06 AM
    There are far too many instances of lag in this thread for a flagship phone. Samsung has to revisit their software and completely re-engineer it, just as they did with their exterior design
    08-25-2016 11:06 AM
    I have that too, but it has more RAM than the iPhone. There's also the possibility that RAM management isn't identical on tablet versus phone.
    Yeah, that's another thing too. I don't have a 6s right now, but maybe my sister might replace her 5s with one once the 2016 iPhones drop. Maybe I'll give that a whirl when I can.

How is your Exynos running? Also is it unlocked?

Update- sorry just seen your earlier response.
    Yeah, it's a solid performer. It could still be better, but my experience so far has been much better than on some other Samsungs.
    neil123456 likes this.
    08-25-2016 11:10 AM
    There are far too many instances of lag in this thread for a flagship phone. Samsung has to revisit their software and completely re-engineer it, just as they did with their exterior design
    Completely disagree. I've been here since the Galaxy S on Froyo. I've been predicting these threads for weeks now.

I'm not psychic, but just replace Note 7 with "S3, Note 2, S4, Note 3"..etc and you have many threads here on Android Central.

I can predict the sun will rise, because it does every day.

I can predict extreme lag threads for all Samsung releases, because they are as dependable as the sun rising. Just the way it is.
    msndrstood likes this.
    08-25-2016 11:12 AM
    Completely disagree. I've been here since the Galaxy S on Froyo. I've been predicting these threads for weeks now.

I'm not psychic, but just replace Note 7 with "S3, Note 2, S4, Note 3"..etc and you have many threads here on Android Central.

I can predict the sun will rise, because it does every day.

I can predict extreme lag threads for all Samsung releases, because they are as dependable as the sun rising. Just the way it is.
    Sorry to say, you must be in complete denial. Everyone knows Samsung's TouchWiz was even more horrendous prior to the s7.
    08-25-2016 11:15 AM
    Sorry to say, you must be in complete denial. Everyone knows Samsung's TouchWiz was even more horrendous prior to the s7.
    I think you misunderstood.

What you consider lag, the general public doesn't notice.

It is not unbearable or extreme. Every thread for every release says it is though .

Actually the Note 5 wasn't horrendous at all.
    08-25-2016 11:17 AM
    Well, I thought I'd add a bit here.

I had a Galaxy S3 and also used a Note 3 plus S5 for a bit. I'll be honest, those were the days when TouchWiz was legitimately bad in my experience. It was bloated and performance became a huge issue over time with some of those phones. Of course, that's just my experience, but it did feel that way.

The software on the S6 was a bit of a revelation to me. While it didn't look much different, quite a bit of stuff deemed unnecessary were removed and the experience felt cleaner as a whole. Over time, I've been slowly seeing that ethos being applied to every successor. For instance, my Note doesn't have Samsung's music player. The default music player is Google Play Music. Of course, there's still some Samsung dupe apps, but it's nice to see that there's less of them now and how they're optional downloads if you need them.

To me, TouchWiz now has come a long way. Obviously, it's not perfect (like everything) and there's still a bunch of things they could still do to further improve the user-experience. But this has been a much-improved experience from the last time I properly used a Samsung and I hope they don't stop improving the experience.

As a side note, my favorite OEM skin is still HTC Sense, but TW is no longer in my list of super-awful skins. It has graduated a year ago.
    08-25-2016 11:20 AM
    ...Missinforming people and misleading them is not really nice. The XDA article is trying to point out performance issues. Read the Android Authority review. They love the phone, but also mention that the performance is not very good. The press has a job: To properly inform people. Misleading them (for whatever reason) is not nice.
    I do not buy for a second that the Note 7 is the best phone out there. Not even for a millisecond. ...

...Having said that, tech blogs that say this is the phone of the year, and are not mentioning the performance issues of this device, are not very professional, or have a hidden agenda. ...
    So basically if they don't see it the way you do, then they have an agenda? You say you get that others can have different opinions, then lambaste them for them for they way they express it. SMH Some bloggers, AC included, specifically have not relied on benchmark tests because they are not necessarily relevant to use in the realworld. I personally find them interesting, but not relavent. PLUS, there are sites that do that. If that is what is important to you, then you will not miss XDA and AnandTech reviews. I am sure neither of those sites will name it phone of the year.

For me, it is perfectly believable that other believe this is the best phone of the year. I could have bought any phone I wanted. I bought the Note 7 because l like it better than anything out there now, and anything coming this year. In the week I have owned the phone, I have 0 performance issues. I love everything the phone does, and the feature set far outweighs any nitpicks I may have. I say that as a person that was dying to switch back to a Nexus phone. I have lost that urge. What Sammy is doing is just better. (My opinion.)

The idea that everybody should conform to your way of thinking is ludicrous. I am glad that there are people that review the phone the way I experience it. I know and follow the reviewers. I know who I agree with, and what experiences are most relavent to mine.

Why did I wonder back into this thread . . . .
    08-25-2016 11:30 AM
    My S7 Edge runs great thank you very much. And just so we're clear, I've owned every OEM out there. So I would know.

Now there may be an issue with this year's Note, but you need to start qualifying your general statements. Because your spouting a lot of misinformation. Visit the S7 Edge forum and see if lag is mentioned once.
    Kelly Kearns likes this.
    08-25-2016 11:32 AM
958 ... 910111213 ...