10-04-2016 10:08 AM
958 ... 1213141516 ...
tools
    The two videos are for different chipsets. The exynos is undoubtedly better for battery and general performance. The snapdragon really doesn't seem as optimised compared to it, and phones like the op3 are doing a much better job. In terms of general performance, from the anecdotal stuff I've seen it seems like the note 7 sd820 might very well be one of the worst in bringing out performance from it.
    Oddly enough, I have the snapdragon version and have only seen two instances of noticeable lag. So you could say the Exynos is better and that may be true, but my experience is the Snapdragon has been great. My experience matches the one shown in the video I was referencing.
    08-25-2016 03:39 PM
    I just had a look at this video:
    08-25-2016 03:40 PM
    Well Hangouts lag isn't just for Samsung at all.

I didn't see the lag he talked about.
    08-25-2016 03:43 PM
    You can search for any device on YouTube to find dirt on said device. Or you can search to find good about any device. Just thought i'd point that out. I could watch 5,000 videos telling me my Note 7 lags, but when i'm watching the videos on my Note 7 and it's functioning smoothly, the videos unfortunately aren't going to supersede my own experience.
    08-25-2016 03:48 PM
    Oddly enough, I have the snapdragon version and have only seen two instances of noticeable lag. So you could say the Exynos is better and that may be true, but my experience is the Snapdragon has been great. My experience matches the one shown in the video I was referencing.
    Yeah I'm not trying to suggest that its bad or anything. Just that in terms of performance its nothing special, while the exynos one arguably is. Of course, people don't buy Samsung over say lg or even op3 because of performance, at least not in the strict sense of opening apps milliseconds faster.
    LegalAmerican likes this.
    08-25-2016 03:57 PM
    I'm not having any lagginess to complain of. However, I did notice when I had "Briefing" on my phone was actually quite a bit slower than after I turned it off.
    08-25-2016 04:00 PM
    Not surprisingly, his video showed no lag, except maybe with Google Hangouts and if you blink, you'll miss the "lag".
    08-25-2016 04:02 PM
    Not surprisingly, his video showed no lag.
    Yeah I watched for lag when he was talking about the lag and the phone was supposedly showing lag..
    08-25-2016 04:03 PM
    You can search for any device on YouTube to find dirt on said device. Or you can search to find good about any device. Just thought i'd point that out. I could watch 5,000 videos telling me my Note 7 lags, but when i'm watching the videos on my Note 7 and it's functioning smoothly, the videos unfortunately aren't going to supersede my own experience.
    Fair point.

And to the iPhone lovers: posts extolling the iPhone aren't particularly moving this thread along either. Most of us are here because we have a Note 7. If we were having issues with our iPhones, we'd be on a different forum.

As far as consistency, it's not just device-to-device consistency. In my case, the issue is very intermittent/inconsistent -- on that one device. At times, there's absolutely no lag -- it's as fast and smooth as the fastest desktop computers. Other times, it's as bad as what was described with the typing -- it's insufferable and cannot get a clean sentence out.

So, if someone has a suggestion on how this could be helped -- other than rooting, like I did on my other Samsung devices that do not have the problem, that would be great and very much appreciated. I'd rather not root the Note 7 for now.
    08-25-2016 04:07 PM
    And here is your evidence that two people can watch the same video, one will see lag, the other will not.

Phone experiences are not something you can box people into. What works for you may not work for me. Telling someone they're in denial isn't a good response.
    08-25-2016 04:18 PM
    And here is your evidence that two people can watch the same video, one will see lag, the other will not.

Phone experiences are not something you can box people into. What works for you may not work for me. Telling someone they're in denial isn't a good response.
    The fact that he said "Hangouts always ends up lagging with Samsung devices" made him completely not credible.

We have a hangout and people are on there with all kinds of androids and even iphones. The lag of Hangouts is not just Samsung. That is a Hangouts issue.
    LegalAmerican and Hurleygm like this.
    08-25-2016 04:21 PM
    Seems a whole lot of cherry picking going on here. Why not go to forums where you lagvocates like a device and be constructive, or find something to complain about there
    08-25-2016 04:30 PM

It is a perfectly reasonable response. Here is the truth.
    Samsung speeds vs Apple speeds:
    Start-up: iPhone 6S wins
    System-level features and first party apps: Tie
    Third party apps: Varies
    Gaming and GPU-intensive apps: iPhone 6S wins
    Browsing: Note 7 wins
    08-25-2016 04:32 PM
    This phone does lag and stutter at times

Compared to my HTC 10 this thing is definitely not nearly as smooth or fluid. My 10 used less RAM than the Note and that has a huge part to play

Dont get me wrong the Note is a great device but I'm not blown away by it by any means. Id be more than content returning the Note to stick with HTC 10.
    petvas72 likes this.
    08-25-2016 04:42 PM
    Something is wrong... The internet app is very fast for me... Significantly faster than my Nexus 6 and htc 10 using the default internet app even when browsing Android Central on the desktop site. No connectivity issues when I am in an area with plenty of bandwidth.

Areas with a very weak data signal will cause connectivity issues.. But that is expected. Are you sure it isn't connectivity issues with your network?

I haven't experienced any keyboard lag, but I use Swiftkey flow. Works great for me.

Also it could be an app running amuck or something using up too much resources... You can use an app like os monitor to see what is using up cpu bandwidth.
    +1
    I had fifteen tabs open in the stock browser with not one issue. I also typed this post as fast as I could using SwiftKey and not one hiccup, except for my giant thumbs.

Verizon with an old SD card until I get my Samsung card. Most bloatware removed, including S Health, S Voice, NFL and all of the other "sales" apps.
    08-25-2016 04:49 PM
    Nobody complain if I didn't read every Post in this huge thread, but I read enough. I read enough to know that people are saying that stock Android devices are these blazingly fast things with zero lag compared to the horribly slow Note 7. Here's an interesting video from YouTube showing the real, actual lag on a stock Android device, the pixel C. This is made by Google, so for all intents and purposes, it is a Nexus device. Tell me if you've seen any worse lag on the Note 7 than how long it takes for this device to go from an app to the home screen. It's the very first thing so don't blink or you'll miss it. This, ladies and gentlemen, on a plain vanilla stock Android tablet is the definition of lag
    LMAO that is supposed to be really laggy? There is no way that anyone has so little time in their lives that devices that take an eye blink to launch apps take too long.
    08-25-2016 04:52 PM
    Nobody complain if I didn't read every Post in this huge thread, but I read enough. I read enough to know that people are saying that stock Android devices are these blazingly fast things with zero lag compared to the horribly slow Note 7. Here's an interesting video from YouTube showing the real, actual lag on a stock Android device, the pixel C. This is made by Google, so for all intents and purposes, it is a Nexus device. Tell me if you've seen any worse lag on the Note 7 than how long it takes for this device to go from an app to the home screen. It's the very first thing so don't blink or you'll miss it. This, ladies and gentlemen, on a plain vanilla stock Android tablet is the definition of lag
    I have never experienced lag on any of my devices like what I saw from pressing the home button until the homescreen appeared.
    08-25-2016 04:58 PM
    It is a perfectly reasonable response. Here is the truth.
    Samsung speeds vs Apple speeds:
    Start-up: iPhone 6S wins
    System-level features and first party apps: Tie
    Third party apps: Varies
    Gaming and GPU-intensive apps: iPhone 6S wins
    Browsing: Note 7 wins
    But is based on the iPhone pushing half the pixels. Of course the iPhone would win. Sad if it did not.

The efforts in the videos are subjective. Not science in any rational knowing mind.
    08-25-2016 05:01 PM
    I counted four seconds between the time he pressed the home key and when the home screen came up. Much worse than anything I've seen on any Samsung phone. So if you say that is not laggy... Well my Note 7 is much snappier than the device you say is not slow.
    I see nothing in that video nearly that long and I'm using YouTube to count for me.

But is based on the iPhone pushing half the pixels. Of course the iPhone would win. Sad if it did not.

The efforts in the videos are subjective. Not science in any rational knowing mind.
    Well, yeah. The GPU-intensive apps and games take longer on the Note 7 because it is pushing twice the resolution as the iPhone.
    08-25-2016 05:02 PM
    I counted four seconds between the time he pressed the home key and when the home screen came up. Much worse than anything I've seen on any Samsung phone. So if you say that is not laggy... Well my Note 7 is much snappier than the device you say is not slow.
    Just did the same thing with a home button and it was definitely less than a second. That was after scrolling through a few pages on this lovely forum.

Are you talking seconds? Like one Mississippi.. Two Mississippi..?

Not trying to be condescending, but that is a really long time!

If so, no wonder why you all are so fired up.
    08-25-2016 05:06 PM
    Actually this time I used a stopwatch app. It was six seconds between the press and the screen coming up.
    There are a number of reasons why an idle device could lag on the first button press. The device in that video was perfectly fine afterwards. Much ado about nothing.
    Paul Paradis likes this.
    08-25-2016 05:09 PM
    There are a number of reasons why an idle device could lag on the first button press. The device in that video was perfectly fine afterwards. Much ado about nothing.
    Well the point was.. The lag with the home button press was bad and it is pure Android.

Nothing like that happens with Samsung devices and supposedly Samsung devices lag and pure Android doesn't.
    08-25-2016 05:12 PM
    Well the point was.. The lag with the home button press was bad and it is pure Android.

Nothing like that happens with Samsung devices and supposedly Samsung devices lag and pure Android doesn't.
    It's a terrible point. Oh look. Lag.
    msndrstood likes this.
    08-25-2016 05:18 PM
    It's a terrible point. Oh look. Lag.
    No, it is a very valid point lol

We are being told Samsung lag is of apocalyptic proportions because of TouchWiz and pure Android is fast as the speed of light.

I have never seen any lag on any Samsung device like I just saw on that pure Android, not even on a retail model.
    08-25-2016 05:22 PM
    Are you sure that we're not arguing on the same side here, namely that the supposed lag on the Note 7 is no worse than what you showed is present on the iPhone?
    Basically.
    08-25-2016 05:24 PM
958 ... 1213141516 ...