10-04-2016 10:08 AM
958 ... 1920212223 ...
tools
    New device
    I would exchange it then, there is likely a problem with your phone.
    08-27-2016 07:44 AM
    I'm on sprint and i do lag sometimes. What's even more frustrating is when I'm playing a song thru bt and i get a text or even on the phone the music becomes choppy.

Posted via the Android Central App
    This is what I've been seeing more than anything.
    08-27-2016 08:11 AM
    I am sure this is due to those bloated, useless apps pre-installed by mobile carriers on Note 7. Please disable these apps & then perform a 'Wipe Cache Partition' from the Recovery Menu. Note 7 works super smooth, no issues with the phone. These mobile carriers should be punished for bloating the devices.
    08-27-2016 09:08 AM
    I'm having no issues with my device but got curious and went into developer options and turned animations down from 1x to 0.5x and things are even more snappy....
    08-27-2016 10:31 AM
    I'm in the process of moving stuff off my sd card so I can reformat it in the Note 7. I've already factory resetted the phone. I hope this helps some. I just hope Samsung comes out with an update soon. I haven't been on a carrier-bloated phone in several months since being on Project Fi. It would be so awesome if Samsung had a Google experience Note 7.
    The note 7 is a nice device but that thing went back and iam back to my Nexus 6p
    08-27-2016 11:21 AM
    If you want iPhone 6+ like results for performance and battery life, please do the following:

Go to settings
    In dev settings, turn animations Off
    Go to battery settings
    Go to Med setting option
    Customize
    Leave display at FHD for medium settings
    Turn off display limits
    Leave on the Limit background for apps
    Turn off CPU limits
    Apply/Save

Boom! You now have a device that performs close to the iPhone and equal or better battery life than 6+

The display at FHD still bests the 6+ and the power setting can be turned off and on from slide down option settings in seconds. The battery estimate can understate actual savings, since does not account for GPU heavy apps.
    I just tried your suggestion. After making the changes I restarted my phone. There are only 4 settings available in my Note 7 from VZW under med battery savings. None to limit apps running in background although there is one in developer options is that what you mean?

Nothing about display limits.

After the changes the phone immediately got hot. That seems counter intuitive. Scrolling became much less smooth.

4th option that DOES exist is to shut off data use in background apps but wouldn't that prevent weather widget from working? Thanks
    08-27-2016 11:22 AM
    I set the battery setting to medium, customized and only set the screen to FHD and turned off everything else. Got over 5 hours of SOT yesterday.
    msndrstood likes this.
    08-27-2016 11:27 AM
    I just tried your suggestion. After making the changes I restarted my phone. There are only 4 settings available in my Note 7 from VZW under med battery savings. None to limit apps running in background although there is one in developer options is that what you mean?

Nothing about display limits.

After the changes the phone immediately got hot. That seems counter intuitive. Scrolling became much less smooth.

4th option that DOES exist is to shut off data use in background apps but wouldn't that prevent weather widget from working? Thanks
    The problem is you have a Verizon N7, which doesn't have the new Grace UI with updated settings. I'm in the same boat.
    jamesrick80 likes this.
    08-27-2016 11:51 AM
    The problem is you have a Verizon N7, which doesn't have the new Grace UI with updated settings. I'm in the same boat.
    Oh that sucks. I don't notice any improvement since switching to medium using the options we do have.
    08-27-2016 11:54 AM
    Lag, stutters here and there? Yes

Am I surprised? No

Does it have unbearable lag? Don't know what that means and personally haven't experienced anything unbearable until now.

Is it the smoothest phone? No

Is it very close to the smoothest phone? Yes

Is it expensive and are there better value phones? Yes and this depends on individual.

Does it have additional value proposition compared to million other Android phones? Personally yes. Wireless charging, best camera, waterproof, great design, great accessory support, great screen, great battery life etc

Best phone out there? For me it's in the top 3 not in any particular order. Always liked iPhones and Nexus and keep them longest even though I buy every flagship. But this year Samsung is in my top favorite phones of the year in spite of not being a big TouchWiz fan.
    08-27-2016 12:32 PM
    I turned it off as well, but I'm still getting notifications from it. I don't see in the settings where to disable it. The thing is I love Flipboard and use it all the time. Unfortunately Briefing doesn't sync with my Flipboard acct.
    I don't have an issue with it syncing with my flipboard account. I may turn it back on, my phone is back to the way it was. It seems like when I try something, it works for short time goes back to the way it was.
    08-27-2016 05:38 PM
    I agree about Android Central app being a mess. I have to re-log in every time I open it, it never takes me to the last post I've read any more (always goes to first post on first page), and often it won't let me post even when I have logged in.
    Oh good, I thought it was just me...currently posting from my N4, because it will NOT let me post from my N7

Posted via the Android Central App
    08-27-2016 09:32 PM
    Bring back desktop mode dammit. Way better than the lame app.
    08-27-2016 09:43 PM
    So i just transferred in from a iPhone 6+. This is not my first time on android though. I had a HTC M8 before getting the 6+ so i know what to expect.

I will say the Note 7 was very laggy for me just stock. I did some reboots but those didn't seem to help. i downloaded an app to disable some stock apps, AT&T, Facebook and a few others. Those SEEMED to help but the thing that really seemed to help was when i disabled Brief. I seemed to get much better responses after that. Also, i'm not sure but it seems every time i put on my S-View kickstand case from Samsung it slowed down my home screen again. i took it off and it was smooth again. Not sure but i'm returning the case anyway. Its not to my liking.

Anyway, i just wanted to toss up a few things that seemed to help me. Here are list of things i do and don't like.

1. S Pen is great. Jotting notes down is really cool. Love it.
    2. The Note 7 itself feels wonderful to hold.
    3. Samsung apps have improved over the S5 i tried after my HTC. I'm trying to use only stock items for now.
    4. Fingerprint scanner is way faster then my 6+. I don't have a 6s+ to compare but the Note 7 is a huge jump up.
    5. I don't like that the stock lock screen doesn't allow music widgets or something to control my podcasts with. Annoying really.
    6. I wish badges worked on every app I needed.
    7. If there was one thing iOS was good for, it was plenty of Task Management apps. I'm still looking for one. Todoist is close.
    8. Chrome seems to load pages really slow but i was running 1Blocker on iOS with a few whitelisted sites. my N7 seems to load pretty slow. Any tips would help here.
    08-27-2016 11:27 PM
    The lag is gone! I did a factory reset and it's working flawlessly now... But I haven't installed Nova Prime so I don't know if Nova was causing the lag first time around.
    Kelly Kearns likes this.
    08-27-2016 11:41 PM
    The lag is gone! I did a factory reset and it's working flawlessly now... But I haven't installed Nova Prime so I don't know if Nova was causing the lag first time around.
    How did you set up your phone the first time? Did you use Smart Switch or restore from Google or set it up as a new device?
    08-27-2016 11:42 PM
    So i just transferred in from a iPhone 6+. This is not my first time on android though. I had a HTC M8 before getting the 6+ so i know what to expect.

I will say the Note 7 was very laggy for me just stock. I did some reboots but those didn't seem to help. i downloaded an app to disable some stock apps, AT&T, Facebook and a few others. Those SEEMED to help but the thing that really seemed to help was when i disabled Brief. I seemed to get much better responses after that. Also, i'm not sure but it seems every time i put on my S-View kickstand case from Samsung it slowed down my home screen again. i took it off and it was smooth again. Not sure but i'm returning the case anyway. Its not to my liking.

Anyway, i just wanted to toss up a few things that seemed to help me. Here are list of things i do and don't like.

3. Samsung apps have improved over the S5 i tried after my HTC. I'm trying to use only stock items for now.
    4. Fingerprint scanner is way faster then my 6+. I don't have a 6s+ to compare but the Note 7 is a huge jump up.
    5. I don't like that the stock lock screen doesn't allow music widgets or something to control my podcasts with. Annoying really.
    6. I wish badges worked on every app I needed.
    7. If there was one thing iOS was good for, it was plenty of Task Management apps. I'm still looking for one. Todoist is close.
    8. Chrome seems to load pages really slow but i was running 1Blocker on iOS with a few whitelisted sites. my N7 seems to load pretty slow. Any tips would help here.
    Thank you for your valuable feedback. I didn't expect this thread to blow up as it did.

I'm glad there are others our there like me, I hope Samsung wakes up & fixes this. They do clearly listen to consumers, so I hope they make this device as smooth as the s7 edge
    pcsperson likes this.
    08-27-2016 11:43 PM
    I had the same issues, and mine were also resolved after a factory reset. I'm back on Nova Prime, and it's working perfectly. I've been using Nova for several years on numerous Android devices, and it's never slowed one down.
    08-27-2016 11:49 PM
    Not a smart switch but restored from Google. This time I didn't restore, I set up as a new device.
    Kelly Kearns likes this.
    08-27-2016 11:51 PM
    Not a smart switch but restored from Google. This time I didn't restore, I set up as a new device.
    Ok, the not setting up as a new device is starting to show up more and more with lag issues.

Nova should be fine to install.
    08-27-2016 11:52 PM
    How did you set up your phone the first time? Did you use Smart Switch or restore from Google or set it up as a new device?
    08-27-2016 11:53 PM
    You should be good to go with Nova if you want to use that again.
    08-27-2016 11:54 PM

I'd strongly encourage you to try a full factory reset. I tried the same things you did, and they made a difference, but once I did the factory reset, performance improved dramatically, both my opinion and benchmarking numbers across the board.

They have improved a lot, but there are still many apps out there far better than stock. Two examples include Textra to replace Messenger, and Nine Folders if you use Exchange based email, or Cloud Magic if you mostly use Apple email.

Apple deserves credit here. The 6S and 6S+ fingerprint scanners are instantaneous, and noticeably quicker than the Note.

Which apps are you using for music and podcasts? I use Google Music and Podcast Magic, and both show up on the stock lock screen allowing me to select next track, previous track, and in the case of Google Music, like or dislike tracks.

The default Samsung Browser is way quicker than Chrome, and also supports using the S-Pen on the top and bottom tips to increase scroll speed. Firefox is also a lot quicker.
    Kelly Kearns and los318 like this.
    08-28-2016 12:13 AM
    Mod note: people are here to help, regardless of if they have the phone or not. Posting in this thread is not an exclusive club, stop calling people out.
    08-28-2016 02:06 AM
    Apple deserves credit here. The 6S and 6S+ fingerprint scanners are instantaneous, and noticeably quicker than the Note.
    On my particular unit, after an OTA, the fingerprint sensor became nearly as fast as that on the iPhone 6s.

Like, on the 6s, just press the button to wake the phone, and it unlocks. It's so fast, it actually breezes past the lockscreen, especially the notifications. After the OTA, my Note did the same thing.

Still stunned that one OTA turned the fingerprint sensor from "fast but not super-fast" to "6s fast".
    08-28-2016 05:11 AM
958 ... 1920212223 ...