10-04-2016 10:08 AM
958 ... 2728293031 ...
tools
    Guys I think I found the fix!!! I created an account just to post this.

I'm on T-Mobile coming from the note 5 and the performance after the first few days was atrocious. Apps super slow to load, keyboard lag, stuttering under load not to mention the phone getting really hot. Battery life has been solid for me. Better than n5. While the battery and heat is something that Samsung needs to address, the lag has been tremendously reduced and now all of a sudden my note 7 is the beast that I envisioned it should be.

THE FIX THAT WORKED FOR ME
    Disable all apps that you don't use. I disabled svoice, s-health, lookout, and a couple others.

The biggest factor was changing scaling from Large to Small. I'm using TouchWiz and Google keyboard too. My phone is really hot right now but still butter smooth and blazing fast. Maybe a bug with scaling I don't know, but I promise, it feels like a new phone now. If this works for you, please share this message.
    I have the Note 5 and recently decided not to upgrade to the N7. I don't have any problems with lag but was intrigued (and skeptical) of your claimed benefits regarding reducing the scaling.

To make a long story short under display on the Note 5 I set the font to small and quite clearly increased the speed of the device. Your suggestion absolutely worked.

Don't know that I will continue with a smaller font as I wasn't really having a problem with lag before (and everything--including this forum--is much more difficult to read) but wanted people to know that you were absolutely correct in correlating speed with scaling.
    09-04-2016 11:59 PM
    I truly want to like or rather love the Android OS. But I can't for the life of me understand why "they" can't fix the lag issue. There obviously an issue. And if it's already an issue on days and weeks new devices what's it going to be like in 6 months?

I have a 12 month old iPhone 6s Plus as my daily driver and it's still as smooth as day one.

My Nexus 6p on the other hand suffers from the Android lag issue too. Or I'd be using it as my daily driver.

I'd like to replace my Nexus for the Note 7. But a little concerned about the lag.
    09-05-2016 10:00 AM
    Does anybody know about the Android N operating system and know if its gonna help any with the problems people seem to be having with the lag. Android " Nougat."

I'm not getting the lag myself.
    I have disabled a lot of junk Apps that came with the phone.
    disabled Flip board and S health and a lot of the other apps.
    Got notifications from them turned off.

Optimized the battery and the apps.
    09-05-2016 10:06 AM
    I truly want to like or rather love the Android OS. But I can't for the life of me understand why "they" can't fix the lag issue. There obviously an issue. And if it's already an issue on days and weeks new devices what's it going to be like in 6 months?

I have a 12 month old iPhone 6s Plus as my daily driver and it's still as smooth as day one.

My Nexus 6p on the other hand suffers from the Android lag issue too. Or I'd be using it as my daily driver.

I'd like to replace my Nexus for the Note 7. But a little concerned about the lag.
    I would hate to go and leave the Android operating system and go back to a Apple IOS operating system again.
    Got away from Apple phones 3 yrs ago.
    Don't care if they operate 5 times faster than the Samsung Phone and operating system.
    Just me.
    iFortWorth likes this.
    09-05-2016 10:10 AM
    I have the international version of the N7 and have to say that I had some very minimal lag the first two days after initially setting up. Since then it's been buttery smooth. My wife has the S7E - the two are absolutely en par speed-wise. Is it a problem with the Qualcomm version again? The Exynos was much smoother on the S7E already.
    09-05-2016 10:25 AM
    Does anybody know about the Android N operating system and know if its gonna help any with the problems people seem to be having with the lag. Android " Nougat."
    Why doesn't the phone come optimized out of the box? Rhetorical question, I know.

Does anyone see anything they consider unacceptable lag on any of the videos below? But I have no idea how loaded with apps they are so any comparisons may be moot. Or they may be fresh installs/FDR with the same apps. But who knows how they respond once loaded with whatever a user typically installs?

Finally, who knows how N will translate once the mfg has modified it for their particular carrier and bloatware applications?

XDA has a M vs N test on a Nexus. Based on the videos following this one, the XDA video results don't appear to translate into real world usage differences.

This guy finds N a little faster than M, but he's doing stuff so quickly I can't follow him:

And a general M vs N comparison:
    09-05-2016 12:47 PM
    But that's part of my point of contention. I shouldn't have to delete apps and widgets to have (barely) acceptable performance. I keep my iPhone loaded with apps. Loaded. My Nexus I have to keep deleting apps and not run widgets.
    speedlever likes this.
    09-05-2016 12:51 PM
    Do yourself a favor and go compare the browser between the two. Go to CNET website. iPhone browsers are much more twitchy and load slower. I did a comparison at best buy side by side. iPhones do lag also btw
    There can be lag on the iphone. But I can go days without experiencing it. On my note 7 the lag is noticeable every time I use it.
    Haven't noticed much of a difference in browser load times honestly. Though that's not a big deal to me. I no longer have my iphone to do a side by side comparison with. But I do have an ipad air 2 I can compare against.
    iFortWorth likes this.
    09-05-2016 09:59 PM
    I know am late to the thread and please don't label me an apple fanboy. I appreciate both devices tremendously. I just expect more from a "premium" device. I truly want to love the Note 7.

As an aside. While waiting at the att store today to return my son's Note 7 I was playing around with it some, and I will admit that TouchWiz has come a long long way. Should I wind up with one of my own, I may even keep that has my launcher of choice.
    09-05-2016 10:12 PM
    Guys I think I found the fix!!! I created an account just to post this.

I'm on T-Mobile coming from the note 5 and the performance after the first few days was atrocious. Apps super slow to load, keyboard lag, stuttering under load not to mention the phone getting really hot. Battery life has been solid for me. Better than n5. While the battery and heat is something that Samsung needs to address, the lag has been tremendously reduced and now all of a sudden my note 7 is the beast that I envisioned it should be.

Disable all apps that you don't use. I disabled svoice, s-health, lookout, and a couple others.

The biggest factor was changing scaling from Large to Small. I'm using TouchWiz and Google keyboard too. My phone is really hot right now but still butter smooth and blazing fast. Maybe a bug with scaling I don't know, but I promise, it feels like a new phone now. If this works for you, please share this message.
    This seemed to have worked wonders for me. It's like night and day!! Thank you for the info!!!
    iFortWorth and Doug Moffat like this.
    09-05-2016 11:43 PM
    I had same Crazy lags once I had started customizing the apps installs, themes etc. I had to do factory reset for different reason and Most of the lags were gone, I think main culprit was installing themes from Samsung. Try to use default theme and see if it improves.
    09-06-2016 09:53 AM
    The lag is awful when using chrome but it's pretty smooth for the most part when using the stock browser. I prefer using chrome though. My note 5 did not lag nowhere nearly as much as the note 7 while browsing on chrome. I'm ready to just give up and go back to a much smoother iPhone. Even though the N7 kills it on features, the lag makes it painful to use.
    09-06-2016 09:12 PM
    Im using chrome. I don't get any lag either.
    09-06-2016 09:16 PM
    Those WITH lag, are you running it with TouchWiz or another launcher?
    09-06-2016 10:22 PM
    Those WITH lag, are you running it with TouchWiz or another launcher?
    Did the note 7 note 7 not come with touch wiz.
    I have not downloaded any other app.
    I also use the heck out of Google.
    09-06-2016 10:26 PM
    I'm convinced there's people who log onto these forums every year for the Galaxy launches and claim this. Wouldn't be a launch without it. I must be the luckiest guy in the world because after the following: S3, Note, S4, Note 2, S5, Note 3, S6 Edge, Note 4, S7/S7 Edge, and now Note 7, I haven't come close to experiencing these "unfreakingbelieveable" lag fests.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Actually, from the phones you list, you likely haven't experienced a lagless phone...if you always use TouchWiz, then lag is normal to you.
    eyecon82 likes this.
    09-06-2016 10:38 PM
    So I'll chime in here. #1 you're very condescending and your assumptions that the lag everyone is experiencing is just launch day hating is ridiculous. I own a large cell phone company. I sell probably 500-600 phones a week. I've personally used every single flagship phone from every major carrier of the last 5 years. In general Samsung phones lag.

If you have not used an iPhone as your primary phone since the release of the 5s you wouldn't understand the lag issue. What Samsung users take as normal iPhone users take as lag. I am not an Apple fanboy, in fact I can't stand Apple's locked down ecosystem and BORING OS. I use two phones throughout the day and I was on Android for years but after the release of the iPhone 6 I dropped my HTC One M8 for the iPhone. I went with two iPhones primarily for the last two years. I am a huge fan of Android and customization but even though I have tried with the LG G4, Galaxy S6, Galaxy S7 and Galaxy Note 5 as my primary phones the Android lag was too much for me to handle. NOTHING lags on an iPhone. My employees have the Nexus 6, Nexus 6p, and HTC M9. On several occasions we have done speed tests opening apps and processes and the iPhone wins EVERY TIME.

Back to the Note 7. As I said I love Android and I have been waiting for a phone to FINALLY match the iPhone in terms of speed and reliability. I played with the Note 7 at Best Buy and it is by far the most ergonomically sound and sexy phone I have ever seen. I thought the Edge screen was a gimmick, but it works. Really well. The S-Pen is fantastic and the camera is flat-out amazing. So I ordered my Note 7 in sexy Coral Blue and on launch day I picked it up. Hearthstone, my favorite mobile game, lags so poorly it just about kills the whole experience. The phone goes through periods where it runs really fast, but try and switch back and forth between apps quickly and you start to see the skipped frames and lag. I bought my wife a Note 7 to replace her iPhone 6 Plus. Within 24 hours she told me to return it. She absolutely could not deal with the lag. When you are used to an iPhone on a daily basis you develop a very short attention span waiting for apps to open and pages to load.

So in the last 12 months I have attempted a Galaxy S6, Galaxy S7, Galaxy Note 5, and Galaxy Note 7. All of them lag. Every single one. Samsung phones have lag point blank. It might not be severe, you might not even notice it if you are used to Samsung, but they do. I'm not an expert on everything, but I am an expert on phones. Maybe you have a miraculous Samsung that is smooth as butter, but I haven't seen one yet.

I will insert one caveat. Every Samsung I have used as my daily driver has been a Verizon variant. Maybe it is the Verizon bloat that does the most damage.

Also the "Samsung Lag" is documented very clearly here... The Note 7 Still Delivers Embarrassing Real-World Performance

I'm going to keep the phone. Too slow to use as my personal cell but I will use it as my business/Media phone. Plenty of things to like about the phone for sure. But it lags. And that sucks.

ONE LAST THING! The first person that can show me a completely lag-free video of a Galaxy Note 7 playing Hearthstone (something that an iPhone 5s can do easily) I will send you $100 to your PayPal account. Guaranteed.
    I know I'm late but had to chime in. You stated you own a large cell phone company and sell 500-600 phones a week but you had to go to best buy to test the note 7?? I found that amusing
    iFortWorth and msndrstood like this.
    09-08-2016 08:26 AM
    I didn't believe there was a lag issue until I started using a Moto Z Force..... its a very snappy phone with one exception. Shutter lag when taking a photo. N7 is way quicker.
    benjamminh likes this.
    09-08-2016 10:06 AM
    I made the switch from BlackBerry 10 to Android. Kicking and screaming I might add. BlackBerry 10 was buttery smooth, zero lag, zero crashes just very few apps and a dying ecosystem.

I thought I'd buy the best Android phone for my move to the new OS. I'm experiencing lots of lag, jittery screens and app crashes. My question is, is this Android or my phone specifically? I run the Hub app, Facebook, S-Planner and Excel and various other apps but those are my main ones.

Excel crashes after 10 minutes of use. S-Planner is slow and jittery. Hub is slow but it's not as bad as the others.

Is there an app that will tell me which apps are hogging memory or acting up or is just Android ?

BlackBerry 10 is dying but if this how it's going to be I'll have to switch back to it. Any advice?

Thanks in advance.
    Note 7 is not a fast phone but I have never had Excel crash on me and I use big spreadsheets with lots of long formulas.
    09-08-2016 10:09 AM
    It definitely isn't as spry as I would've liked. Using the Secure Folder cause a bit of stutter I've noticed, checking recent apps stutters a bit. I did a firmware update over Verizon, but still seeing occasional hiccups. Definitely different from 6P, but I'm using phone a lot harder than I ever used my 6P.
    09-08-2016 03:04 PM
    How about everyone who got a Note 7 and is complaining about the horrible lag, just take the Note 7 back and get the new iPhone 7.

We'll all be happier.
    Ca_lvn likes this.
    09-08-2016 03:27 PM
    Something has to be wrong with google maps, it slows the phone down to a crawl
    09-08-2016 06:27 PM
    Guys I think I found the fix!!!

I just changed the scaling to Small and WOW!! Huge difference in overall speed - the phone is flying now opening apps, using apps, etc. This is the speed I expected to see when upgrading from my Note 4 to a better processor and higher RAM, etc. Much snappier!
    Thanks for the tip!!!
    jamesrick80 likes this.
    09-08-2016 07:08 PM
    I seen this on youtube and did it when I got it so I have never seen any lag at all
    09-08-2016 07:22 PM
    I loved this phone for about 2.5 weeks. The phone was fast, new, and much better in every aspect coming from the note 4. However within the last week I've experienced lag on a daily basis and the battery is only 25-30% better than my note 4. Those issues coupled with the recall have soured my taste for Android and Samsung. This is coming from a guy who was the last to give up a blackberry (passport bb10) and someone who said they would never have an iPhone.
    This is 2016 and I just paid $916 for a phone with lag!? Plus over $130 in acessories to try and keep the glass from cracking or scratching! Only the $60 official Samsung leather case provided the most protection at about 45%. The zagg "HD"screen protector was $25 garbage quality that made the beautiful screen look like it was from the 90's. I also bought the wireless fast charger for this phone, which is amazing and would be a feature I'd hate to give up, but this phone is not worth what we paid for it given the insufficiencies that have been documented by numerous users. I hope Samsung does exponentially better with the next note phone or they will lose a huge amount of customers and smartphone market share.
    Jvazquez930 likes this.
    09-08-2016 10:24 PM
958 ... 2728293031 ...