Note 7 - This lag is unfreakingbelievable

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
It looks like the AC log in issue has been fixed with an update this morning. Thanks guys!

I'm sure whatever issues the Note 7 is having will also be improved in the coming weeks as well. This wouldn't be the first time a phone has launched with issues. In fact it seems every phone this year has. HTC camera issues, One Plus 3 performance issues.

It's one reason I wait a month or so before ordering a new device.

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Re: This lag is unfreakingbelievable

I think the apps are not right. My note 5 had no issue with Pokemon go. Note 7 pauses every time a ball hits a Pokemon. Funny thing is my wife has a S7 and hers does the same thing. It's not lag...apps are not right for this chip. Other than things like that it rolls wide open. Google needs to start checking popular apps.

pmr5019

May 1, 2011
Visit site

I too have no complaints about lag. I had a short span of time where I noticed a ton of lag, rebooted and then looked at my apps. I saw like 5 or six new bloatware apps were installed. Go 90, Empire (or something like that), mobile strike, and a few others that I've seen a ton of commercials for. I uninstalled all of them and then read that the preloaded app DT Ignite does this periodically without your knowledge, I disabled it with EZ Disabler (which I reccomend for samsung phones) and should not happen again. Otherwise I love this phone and have no issues with lag. Hope this helps.

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site

I wonder if the lag you guys are experiencing are due to having a massive number of apps on your phone or something you've personally done to bog down the phone. I've probably added 10-15 apps and experience little to no lag.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I wonder if the lag you guys are experiencing are due to having a massive number of apps on your phone or something you've personally done to bog down the phone. I've probably added 10-15 apps and experience little to no lag.

I don't think that's it. Modern smartphones are designed to handle everything you throw at them.

I think it might be carrier or batch specific. Which is why some are getting it and some are not.

Samsung will need to identify to issues and update the software.

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site

I don't think that's it. Modern smartphones are designed to handle everything you throw at them.

I think it might be carrier or batch specific. Which is why some are getting it and some are not.

Samsung will need to identify to issues and update the software.

You have to consider that the phone is monitoring all 200 apps to provide notifications and look for updates.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site

I must be the luckiest guy on the planet when it comes to phones. I have not had issues with lag on any phone I've had in the last few years. I have had all the Note line and half of the S line, LG, HTC and iPhones. Every one of them has had a little stutter here and there or crashed on me a few times, but nothing that I would consider an issue. Fortunately, in the 5 days that I have had the Note 7, I have not had a single issue with anything. I have not even rebooted the phone since I set it up 5 days ago. It runs as smooth as any phone I have ever had. I do a little bit of everything on it each day too. It really is a great phone, but again, maybe I am just lucky.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't say that... I'm seeing complaints from some pretty nuanced sources who'd know the difference between a window animation and performance issues... they are seeing frame drops, reduction in the frame rate, etc... I know someone with one of the international Exynos variants and they are confirming a rather obvious overall difference in feel between it and the Snapdragon ones here in the States. The only conclusion that I can come to is that Samsung spent far more time working on cleaning up the Exynos software and didn't spend a lot of time to go back in and optimize the Snapdragon branch. This is not a damning accusation by any means, just means they have some work to do to work out the kinks and it could very well get ironed out in a soon-to-drop software update.

It's now coming in from far too many sources to blow them off or question their collective knowledge and experience. But does it matter to you? I mean, if you have the phone, like the phone, have no issues with how the phone operates, then come from that place....

To others... well, a great man recently said:

[FONT=Helvetica Neue, arial, sans-serif]"If you can't be helpful, move on. If you have something productive to contribute, by all means, contribute. If you're here to antagonize people, you gotta remember which team you're on. You're currently playing for the Android nerds team. Stop with the friendly fire."[/FONT]

I think you're missing the overarching theme here. This happens at every Samsung launch. Paul Revere rides out and proclaims "The TouchWiz Lag Is Coming!" and everyone gets riled up over it. Samsung devices have reached the same Apple-level vitriol from other OEM users and I don't think it would shock anyone if people were embellishing their problems a little.

This was a little more acceptable a few generations back when there was legitimately an issue with the performance of Samsung's UI. The S7 put those issues to rest in a way that purchasing a Samsung device wasn't a compromise of performance for superior hardware. I find it amusing that these threads have come out of the woodwork after the iPhone/App Loading Test Gate occurred, but maybe you find no coincidence there.

I'm not saying there aren't people who are having issues, but labeling the device as a whole as suffering from bad performance is just incorrect. Individual cases/units may be having issues. Again, this happens every year. Refer back to this post next April for the S8 when it comes up again.

Posted via the Android Central App

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Meh, have you seen the junk verizon puts/removes from OUR phone?? lol
I am not disagreeing that Verizon puts a lot of junk.. Only that it doesn't affect battery life unless it is running.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

You have to consider that the phone is monitoring all 200 apps to provide notifications and look for updates.

It doesn't monitor each app to wait for a notification -- that would make the processor go wild trying to scan all apps all the time. Whenever an app wants to do a notification it just does a system call to produce the notification. That way the app / processor can go idle and respond to a call when needed.

dcooper830

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site

I'm lucky! ZERO lag in my Note 5 for an entire year.

And after almost a week... my Note 7 is super fast as well.

My Note 4 did get laggy after a year though....

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I think you're missing the overarching theme here. This happens at every Samsung launch. Paul Revere rides out and proclaims "The TouchWiz Lag Is Coming!" and everyone gets riled up over it. Samsung devices have reached the same Apple-level vitriol from other OEM users and I don't think it would shock anyone if people were embellishing their problems a little.

This was a little more acceptable a few generations back when there was legitimately an issue with the performance of Samsung's UI. The S7 put those issues to rest in a way that purchasing a Samsung device wasn't a compromise of performance for superior hardware. I find it amusing that these threads have come out of the woodwork after the iPhone/App Loading Test Gate occurred, but maybe you find no coincidence there.

I'm not saying there aren't people who are having issues, but labeling the device as a whole as suffering from bad performance is just incorrect. Individual cases/units may be having issues. Again, this happens every year. Refer back to this post next April for the S8 when it comes up again.

I agree. But I also think some peeps are legitimately having lag issues. It's not unusual for the phone to launch with issues. Name one phone this year that didn't.

Software gets updated after a few weeks, and the complaints stop.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

I think you're in a bit of denial if you're trying to see that you never see any jank or choppy animations or sometimes need an extra second or two for an app to load (the camera in particular can do this sometimes).

Of course things like this come out of the woodwork right after a device launch. It's the same with the hype train proclaiming "this will be the best phone ever" before and right after launch. Then the haters come out. Then it calms down.

But dismissing the performance issues because you've noticed that same cycle does not make them go away (same with saying they don't exist because you don't see them). I have a Note 7 and I love it, but I've seen some jank already. Not enough for me to be bothered, but it's there. Not always, not everytime.

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site

I agree. I have maybe 36 apps and no real lag. Does it slow down or hose up here and there every once in a while, sure. I think lag is very subjective and usually a bad app. My iPhone 6s plus can get bogged down and lag, not often but it does. My i7 laptop can lag while only using Chrome.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I think you're in a bit of denial if you're trying to see that you never see any jank or choppy animations or sometimes need an extra second or two for an app to load (the camera in particular can do this sometimes).

Of course things like this come out of the woodwork right after a device launch. It's the same with the hype train proclaiming "this will be the best phone ever" before and right after launch. Then the haters come out. Then it calms down.

But dismissing the performance issues because you've noticed that same cycle does not make them go away (same with saying they don't exist because you don't see them). I have a Note 7 and I love it, but I've seen some jank already. Not enough for me to be bothered, but it's there. Not always, not everytime.

I think he's referring to the trolls that show up after every launch looking for a weakness or issue and then pile on in the forums. You know the ones with 1 or 2 post who post the most dramatic things and then disappear as they sit back and watch the drama unfold.

You can't deny that happens either. It really muddies the waters and makes it much harder to have a civil dicussion.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

I can say this about every phone. There's "jank" in every phone, even the 10/6P. I'm not saying the Note 7 is perfect as far as performance goes; I'd be shocked if it was given the laundry list of features it has. What's being described here is "unfreakingbelieveable" lag which seems like one would be embellishing that claim.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

I can say this about every phone. There's "jank" in every phone, even the 10/6P. I'm not saying the Note 7 is perfect as far as performance goes; I'd be shocked if it was given the laundry list of features it has. What's being described here is "unfreakingbelieveable" lag which seems like one would be embellishing that claim.

Could be. Unless the expectation was instant response and immediate app openings.
I think he's referring to the trolls that show up after every launch looking for a weakness or issue and then pile on in the forums.

You can't deny that happens either. It really muddies the waters and makes it much harder to have a civil dicussion.
Yeah I can see that being an issue. Not specific to Samsung or the Note 7 though. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arslan