10-04-2016 10:08 AM
958 ... 56789 ...
tools
    I have Verizon, the Samsung keyboard is very laggy.

Posted via the Android Central App
    08-24-2016 11:33 AM
    I have Verizon, the Samsung keyboard is very laggy.

I'm on Verizon and it works great for me.
    08-24-2016 11:39 AM
    Won't happen... Those died a few years ago
    I know, it's just a pipe dream lol! I guess it wasn't a popular sell. I really like the Note 7, even with the stutter, I can't wait to get back to it after doing a factory reset.
    08-24-2016 11:45 AM
    Won't happen... Those died a few years ago
    I think he was just saying it would be awesome if it was a reality.
    qnet likes this.
    08-24-2016 11:54 AM

Also in the settings, where can you find what processor variant your phone has?
    If you are on TMobile in the US or Canada, you have the Snapdragon processor.
    08-24-2016 12:13 PM
    I am on verizon, with all their crapware. Have over 200 apps installed. Using a 200GB microSD card. No lag, its actually smoother then my S7e.

I think ur using it wrong. LOL
    I put animations back to 1x from being off.

It seems better so far. I was experiencing heavy keyboard lag on Google keyboard.

Maybe it was throttling based on the wireless charging mat I picked it up from
    08-24-2016 12:31 PM
    If you are on TMobile in the US or Canada, you have the Snapdragon processor.
    Thanks, where in settings can I find the info?
    08-24-2016 12:35 PM
    A few things before I begin to outline my situation:

Tmobile Note 7 user. I always keep an android and iOS device on me. I have no real preference. Am coming from the S7 Edge (which is easily my favorite android device to date).

That said, out of the box and for the first few days I was experiencing severe lag - specifically the animations. Frame rate drops/stutters as you navigate the OS. Was massively frustrating considering the S7 Edge has provided such a fluid experience. Especially in comparison. The S7 Edge was the first Samsung device that I felt didnt suffer from what others refer to as typical Samsung "jank". It was definitely back on my note. Hitting the home button saw a noticeable delay before action was taken, open and closing apps saw frame rate drops, etc. So I started to work through what might be causing it.

I backed up using sidesync from my S7 Edge. Maybe something was slightly corrupted in that transfer? So performed a hard reset and set up as a fresh device - not even pulling down the samsung cloud data.

Problem persisted.

So then I started taking a deep dive into the settings and disabling even more apps that I know I wouldnt use. At this point, its purring along quite well and has been for a solid 24 hours. Here's what I did:

1. Disabled preloaded amazon, every T-Mobile preinstalled app thats possible, Facebook, Lookout, S Voice, Samsung+
    2. Turned off Wi-Fi Calling
    3. The "T-Mobile" app doesnt allow for disabling. But I turned off everything that it could possibly do/have access to within the app settings. Location, send SMS, make calls, etc. Everything.
    4. Turned off smart stay, smart capture, palm swipe to capture, direct call, smart alert

I'm missing some other small tweaks that I dont remember at the moment, but the two things I want to point out that I think made the biggest difference (and also have seemingly increased battery life by a significant amount) is disabling Samsung+ and shutting off everything within the T-Mobile app. And potentially wi-fi calling. Combined with not backing up from an old device (a common problem on iOS too).

Samsung+ appears to be eating up a ton of system resources considering how much stuff its monitoring. I found a process "Help" running constantly that appears to have been tied up in the processes for Samsung+. I shut off everything within the Tmobile app at the same time as disabling Samsung+ so it might not have been an issue - but it did seem to be grabbing my location enough to show up in the list of recent apps to have requested location data. I just shut off wi-fi calling this more as further testing.

As mentioned, not only has my battery life significantly improved, but the fluidity around the phone is pretty night and day. I was very close to returning and just sticking with my S7 Edge for now. Or until Samsung issued an update. But if these changes continue to work/help, then I'll be keeping it. This is easily the nicest hardware ever produced of any phone - iPhone or otherwise. Tons to love about the device. But a stuttery OS experience is a major deal killer for me. Hopefully these changes continue to help!
    lv2bsilly, Extremevl and Serkle K like this.
    08-24-2016 12:45 PM
    That's touchwiz for ya. Great for a bit then it bogs you down.

You can go to developer options and make animations slightly faster, as well as disabling a lot of duplicate samsung apps maybe that'll give you a feeling of extra speed.
    08-24-2016 12:54 PM
    best things for the phone in my experience seem to be using package disabler pro. I know it's still in "new phone stage" but mine is running better than my nexus 6p was before I sold it, honest.
    08-24-2016 12:57 PM
    All,

Been lurking through this forum and the xda forums. I also have been experiencing lag.
    Was on the xda forums and someone mentioned changing the scaling from small to large. Not sure if it's a placebo effect, but the phone does seem snappier. Will test more tomorrow. But for the lag users, try changing the scale from small to large. See if that helps.
    Yowzers I changed it to large, and I don't know if it's placebo or not too, but it does seem snappier. Especially in tapatalk, no more jankiness when scrolling down. Quite annoyed as I really do prefer the smaller display scaling
    08-24-2016 01:27 PM
    That's a bit unfair to the OP as it is quite possible they are actually experiencing lag. Doesn't mean that it's a widespread problem, but it is quite possibly very real for a small number of users.

Granted, how the problem is stated can affect the reader's perception, too. It can either sound like nothing but ******** or an appeal for help. Everyone can decide for themselves on that...
    08-24-2016 01:48 PM
    I will jump in here and say this. I love this phone to death. BUT, I have experienced random lag here and there. It not something you replicate. It happens, things slow down noticeably, and then recover. It's odd as heck, but it does happen. Last night I tried to show a friend of mine the Iris Scanner, and the scanner slowed down like it was a 286 computer. But then it snapped out of it. Unlike the OP, I only have a handful of apps on my Note. Again, I love this phone, love the feel, love the pen, love the Blue Coral. The lag, I hope at some point settles down, or simply vanishes.
    08-24-2016 02:16 PM
    People who are changing their animation scale, I find that to do more harm and make the transitios have a jarring effect. Once I changed mine back to 1x, if felt ALOT smoother IMO.
    That's a good point. I hadn't thought of that.
    08-24-2016 02:29 PM
    People who are changing their animation scale, I find that to do more harm and make the transitios have a jarring effect. Once I changed mine back to 1x, if felt ALOT smoother IMO.
    I never had an issue turning off the Animations. Did it with all my notes.

08-24-2016 02:37 PM
    One other thing regarding the lag, keep in mind I do not own the Note 7, still haven't decided, but is it possible that some people have optimized some apps for better battery that they shouldn't have, like system UI or some Google or Samsung processes?
    08-24-2016 02:51 PM
    I didn't want to comment on it but since there is now a thread...yes...Note 7 on Verizon...noticeable lags...in fact, I can't say I ever had much of a lag on my Note 5. I do have a MicroSD card but only a few large games moved do it.
    08-24-2016 02:53 PM
    best things for the phone in my experience seem to be using package disabler pro. I know it's still in "new phone stage" but mine is running better than my nexus 6p was before I sold it, honest.
    Would be cool to get that list of what is safe to remove using this. I did it for my Note 5 but in reality I don't think it really improved the overall experience all that much. I used it to get rid of all the dumb stuff installed like NFL Mobile and all the Verizon stuff
    08-24-2016 03:01 PM
    See I didn't perceive it as lag on my phone, it was plenty fast for me. The issue in my book was the animation choppiness and everyone's favorite word "jank". I think alot of it was due to AT&T just loading the phone up with nonsense, and the fact that touchwiz launcher is just hot hot garbage.

But really, loved the Note, but returned it so I could look into an Exynos unlocked version. I don't think I can buy carrier phones anymore. There so much extra trash loaded on them it just makes my heart hurt. It's been a good year since I've had one, and its unbelievable what they get away with.
    qnet likes this.
    08-24-2016 03:02 PM
    This is forever confusing...

08-24-2016 03:31 PM
    weird thing guys i bought a verizon note 7 on release day and right from the get go the phone was super laggy and it would get hot af! whenever i tried typing/texting it lagged really bad and the sound when typing would be delayed. I was about to return the phone today until someone mentioned a factory reset and i thought hell what do i have to lose. After the factory reset the phone is MUCH snappier and i noticed it doesn't get hot (under normal use). Not sure what happened or what i did, maybe it had to do with leaving the content scaling on large?
    08-24-2016 03:35 PM
    3. The "T-Mobile" app doesnt allow for disabling. But I turned off everything that it could possibly do/have access to within the app settings. Location, send SMS, make calls, etc. Everything.
    You might want to get into the phone with ADB. There are some apps that can be hidden from the system so they won't actually start. Even if you can't disable them in the user interface, you can stop their madness from ever starting after a reboot.
    Once set up with ADB, do "adb shell" from the command line.
    (I'm not going to go into detail on how to get or setup ADB. Users that can't do that probably shouldn't be messing around in the command line portion of the phone anyway.)
    Type "pm list packages" to get a list of all the packages on your device. Once you figure out which ones are being naughty, do a "pm hide PackageName" to stop the system from seeing it.
    Don't be too overzealous though. You can hide some pretty important apps with this method. There are lists out there of apps people think are OK to hide if you need some guidance.
    08-24-2016 03:39 PM
    I was just on a phone call trying to jot down a note using the pen, there was a definite lag writing ink. Very annoying
    08-24-2016 03:41 PM
    I was just on a phone call trying to jot down a note using the pen, there was a definite lag writing ink. Very annoying
    It's your phone man. I'm on Sprint just like you, read this and went and tested it out...no lag...the digitizer worked just as expected with no discernable input lag compared to not in a phone call. Go return that mother...
    08-24-2016 03:47 PM
    I don't disagree with you, but do you think it's possible to have that many phones with issues?

It's your phone man. I'm on Sprint just like you, read this and went and tested it out...no lag...the digitizer worked just as expected with no discernable input lag compared to not in a phone call. Go return that mother...
    08-24-2016 04:03 PM
958 ... 56789 ...