Note 7 - This lag is unfreakingbelievable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nutzer

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Re: This lag is unfreakingbelievable

What do you have your app animations set at? Which setting for all 3?
It is at .5. I changed it when I was experiencing the lag and changing the app animation didn't help.
So far changing the scaling from small to large, I see a difference.

ConstantDefector

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site

I'm convinced there's people who log onto these forums every year for the Galaxy launches and claim this. Wouldn't be a launch without it. I must be the luckiest guy in the world because after the following: S3, Note, S4, Note 2, S5, Note 3, S6 Edge, Note 4, S7/S7 Edge, and now Note 7, I haven't come close to experiencing these "unfreakingbelieveable" lag fests.

Posted via the Android Central App

Or maybe you have never tried a light ROM or Apple?

They make this $900 phone look like a huge rip-off.

Maybe you have had great luck but you list ALL Samsung devices. How can you have an objective opinion?

Ever tried a Nexus device or iPhone for at least 1-2 weeks, as a daily driver?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

They may this $900 phone look like a huge rip-off.

Maybe you have had great luck but you list ALL Samsung devices. How can you have an objective opinion?

I have used Nexus, HTC, LG, iPhones, etc. etc. -- All seem very usable in my day to day with no "lag fest". That is my experience and I am not saying some don't have issues .. it is bound to happen to some but all were definitely good daily drivers.

Christine Aflak

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site

I'm not getting any lag at all. Makes me wonder if people are confusing the animations with lag. I wouldn't know coz I turn them off 😏

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I thought I'd share my thoughts on this.

First, let me start by saying that no. My Note7 is not invincible to lag. ALL phones lag at some point. Even my iPad Pro lags at times.

However, I will say that so far, my Note7 has been performing quite well. Is it as fast as a Nexus or an iPhone? Of course not, but I do appreciate the extra features that my Note provides, such as the S Pen features, resizable windows and more, which I feel are worth trading a couple of milliseconds of app launch times for.

That said, it's not perfect. SwiftKey lags horribly. It takes about a second or two for some keys to register at times when you type fast. Weirdly, the stock keyboard is perfectly fine, and I did notice that SwiftKey did lag a bit on my old HTC One M7 running a GPe ROM, so I'm not blaming TW......yet.

So far, though, my current Samsung experience has been a refreshing one since ditching them back in 2013 for the HTC One M7 due to the horrendous state of TouchWiz at the time. I haven't experienced serious frame stutters nor did I feel that I was missing a beat after switching back and forth from my iPad Pro to my Note7.

In the end, it comes down to this. Do you prioritize speed and don't care about the extras? Go Nexus or iPhone. If you want features and more capabilities at the cost of a bit of snappiness, go with a Samsung or any other skinned Android device. In an ideal world, there would be a phone that's as fast as a Nexus or an iPhone while also filled to the absolute brim with features like a Samsung, but that hasn't cropped up yet, and likely won't for a while.

For the record, my unit is an SM-N930F variant, running on an Exynos 8890 with 4GB of RAM, running a different-ish build of the software on the August 1st security patch.

Last edited:

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site

I've tried every OEM out there. Some are smoother than others, some are more boring than others.

Samsung is never boring. There is so much more that goes into a great phone than how vanilla it is.

A phone cam run like a dream. But if it bores me to tears after two weeks, what good is it, really?

And I wish people would drop the price point nonsense. I'll pay top dollar for the phone I want.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

As long as it makes everyone happy, I'll let on that my Nexus 6P on Android 7 is.... Oh, wrong forum. :D

RichBrown68

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

I've had a couple of Nexus devices. I much prefer Samsung's newest Flagship phones. No comparison.

--RICH

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

You know, I've always kept the philosophy of "Buy what you want".

Everyone has their own needs, wants and demands from a phone, and also different expectations from user to user.

We all have our own opinions on a device, but in the end, there's bound to be a device that fits a particular user.

If ultra-snappy performance or a clean, vanilla experience is what you're looking for, the Note7 might not be the phone you're looking for. However, if you do use the S Pen a lot, and want a load of features, maybe give that a shot.

ConstantDefector

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site

I have used Nexus, HTC, LG, iPhones, etc. etc. -- All seem very usable in my day to day with no "lag fest". That is my experience and I am not saying some don't have issues .. it is bound to happen to some but all were definitely good daily drivers.

I'm a new member but I've been around the block.

People may call me what they will but this expensive phone does not reflect the price invested. Nexus devices, and even a ROM'd One plus one, have been amazing for me. My 6S is almost in a class by itself. This note... it's not a random thing. It's not a defective device, it's touchwiz and more bloat than i can kill with package disabled pro.

I tested my friend's and it was just slow. We turned everything off that wasn't needed. Animations and killed a ton of apps and processes... still, horrible. I thought it was just his device. I got mine today and ran it without loading apps (as she came out of the box), lag and stutters in places that this elite flagship shouldn't have any. Which is funny as it should be the gross exception to have such problems and not the rule.

I applied the AT&T update and then proceeded to put on around 40 apps that i own and used package disabler pro. Nope...no help. This is an OS, sorry, skin problem (touchwiz). I have read that touchwiz has finally arrived and lag was gone. This is why I tried this device. Apparently, the joke's on me.

The only thing i can possibly come up with is that everyone that gets defensive have never used custom ROM's, Nexii or iPhone's before. There is no other logical way for people to get so angry when people like me say these things against Samsung and touchwiz.

I'll gladly pull out my Android phones and write something on a piece of paper confirming my unbiased opinion here.

My conclusion on the Note is that it's nice but costs twice what it is worth. I wish more users had more disposable income so they could try a myriad of devices but i know that is not possible. Everyone wants to defend their brand or expensive purchase but it shouldn't be at the expense of reality or anyone else's feelings.

I'll likely return this phone because it's so hard to switch ecosystems and because I dont feel the device is remotely worth the switch. I shouldn't have to root abd ROM a phone for it to work well out of the box.

And don't get me started on screen protectors and case fitment. Broke the glass one due to the case, tore the plastic one off because it rolled up in all 4 corners... now im on my 2nd plastic one that I had to cut with scissors just so the case wouldnt roll it.

Oh, a few things to note. The Note 7 has a better camera than the 6S, a much nicer screen and call quality is greatly improved. I talked with someone today that told me how amazingly they could hear me, without my prior disclosure as to why.

Samsung gets many things right, just as Apple does, but neither get enough right to keep me from bouncing back and forth from Android and iOS.

I want to like this phone...300gb of free storage is amazing but I don't think i can. I'll give it a week or two before i RMA it.

Maybe next year Samsung? Also, just use a damn flat screen. The curve is pretty and gives the illusion of no bezel but it's impossible to protect.

RichBrown68

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

You know, I've always kept the philosophy of "Buy what you want".

Everyone has their own needs, wants and demands from a phone, and also different expectations from user to user.

We all have our own opinions on a device, but in the end, there's bound to be a device that fits a particular user.

If ultra-snappy performance or a clean, vanilla experience is what you're looking for, the Note7 might not be the phone you're looking for. However, if you do use the S Pen a lot, and want a load of features, maybe give that a shot.

Everytime someone says clean vanilla, I get a picture of that god-awful stark white drawer that stock Android forces on people.

--RICH

ConstantDefector

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site

I thought I'd share my thoughts on this.

First, let me start by saying that no. My Note7 is not invincible to lag. ALL phones lag at some point. Even my iPad Pro lags at times.

However, I will say that so far, my Note7 has been performing quite well. Is it as fast as a Nexus or an iPhone? Of course not, but I do appreciate the extra features that my Note provides, such as the S Pen features, resizable windows and more, which I feel are worth trading a couple of milliseconds of app launch times for.

That said, it's not perfect. SwiftKey lags horribly. It takes about a second or two for some keys to register at times when you type fast. Weirdly, the stock keyboard is perfectly fine, and I did notice that SwiftKey did lag a bit on my old HTC One M7 running a GPe ROM, so I'm not blaming TW......yet.

So far, though, my current Samsung experience has been a refreshing one since ditching them back in 2013 for the HTC One M7 due to the horrendous state of TouchWiz at the time. I haven't experienced serious frame stutters nor did I feel that I was missing a beat after switching back and forth from my iPad Pro to my Note7.

In the end, it comes down to this. Do you prioritize speed and don't care about the extras? Go Nexus or iPhone. If you want features and more capabilities at the cost of a bit of snappiness, go with a Samsung or any other skinned Android device. In an ideal world, they would be a phone that's as fast as a Nexus or an iPhone while also filled to the absolute brim with features like a Samsung, but that hasn't cropped up yet, and likely won't for a while.

For the record, my unit is an SM-N930F variant, running on an Exynos 8890 with 4GB of RAM, running a different-ish build of the software on the August 1st security patch.

I agree with this 100%. Whole heartedly. Well said.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I'm a new member but I've been around the block.

People may call me what they will but this expensive phone does not reflect the price invested. Nexus devices, and even a ROM'd One plus one, have been amazing for me. My 6S is almost in a class by itself. This note... it's not a random thing. It's not a defective device, it's touchwiz and more bloat than i can kill with package disabled pro.

I tested my friend's and it was just slow. We turned everything off that wasn't needed. Animations and killed a ton of apps and processes... still, horrible. I thought it was just his device. I got mine today and ran it without loading apps (as she came out of the box), lag and stutters in places that this elite flagship shouldn't have any. Which is funny as it should be the gross exception to have such problems and not the rule.

I applied the AT&T update and then proceeded to put on around 40 apps that i own and used package disabler pro. Nope...no help. This is an OS, sorry, skin problem (touchwiz). I have read that touchwiz has finally arrived and lag was gone. This is why I tried this device. Apparently, the joke's on me.

The only thing i can possibly come up with is that everyone that gets defensive have never used custom ROM's, Nexii or iPhone's before. There is no other logical way for people to get so angry when people like me say these things against Samsung and touchwiz.

I'll gladly pull out my Android phones and write something on a piece of paper confirming my unbiased opinion here.

My conclusion on the Note is that it's nice but costs twice what it is worth. I wish more users had more disposable income so they could try a myriad of devices but i know that is not possible. Everyone wants to defend their brand or expensive purchase but it shouldn't be at the expense of reality or anyone else's feelings.

I'll likely return this phone because it's so hard to switch ecosystems and because I dont feel the device is remotely worth the switch. I shouldn't have to root abd ROM a phone for it to work well out of the box.

And don't get me started on screen protectors and case fitment. Broke the glass one due to the case, tore the plastic one off because it rolled up in all 4 corners... now im on my 2nd plastic one that I had to cut with scissors just so the case wouldnt roll it.

Oh, a few things to note. The Note 7 has a better camera than the 6S, a much nicer screen and call quality is greatly improved. I talked with someone today that told me how amazingly they could hear me, without my prior disclosure as to why.

Samsung gets many things right, just as Apple does, but neither get enough right to keep me from bouncing back and forth from Android and iOS.

I want to like this phone...300gb of free storage is amazing but I don't think i can. I'll give it a week or two before i RMA it.

Maybe next year Samsung? Also, just use a damn flat screen. The curve is pretty and gives the illusion of no bezel but it's impossible to protect.

So far my Note is just fine as per my needs / experience with Samsung / other phones.

Maknora

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site

make a video of the lag. then it's easier to believe and the mass can determine if it's real lag.

Arsenio Martins

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site

I've experienced some lag since I got the phone. Not sure what it is though. Giving it time to settle out.

stackberry369

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site

I agree about Android Central app being a mess. I have to re-log in every time I open it, it never takes me to the last post I've read any more (always goes to first post on first page), and often it won't let me post even when I have logged in.
I have to log in every time I want to comment.... Fix this problem please

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

Yeah, I think I'll be returning the phone.

The hardware is excellent, but it's just slow. Slow around the UI, seems to get weird bouts of lag where I have to restart the phone to get it to normal etc.

I tried turning animations off (down to 0) and it doesn't fix it. If I'm in an app and press the home button, I find myself waiting for the phone to remove the app off the screen and go to the homepage.

I don't root and flash roms or anything, so I don't know if that stuff improves it, but I won't be keeping the phone.

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

It's the big App. You have to log out and log back in every time you leave.
I had the same issue and I switched to the forums app. No issues there.

As far as the lag issue concerns, I don't have the device but it seems that the XDA claims have at least some merit of truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay