Note 7 - This lag is unfreakingbelievable

Status
Not open for further replies.

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Re: This lag is unfreakingbelievable

I thought I'd share my thoughts on this.

First, let me start by saying that no. My Note7 is not invincible to lag. ALL phones lag at some point. Even my iPad Pro lags at times.

However, I will say that so far, my Note7 has been performing quite well. Is it as fast as a Nexus or an iPhone? Of course not, but I do appreciate the extra features that my Note provides, such as the S Pen features, resizable windows and more, which I feel are worth trading a couple of milliseconds of app launch times for.

That said, it's not perfect. SwiftKey lags horribly. It takes about a second or two for some keys to register at times when you type fast. Weirdly, the stock keyboard is perfectly fine, and I did notice that SwiftKey did lag a bit on my old HTC One M7 running a GPe ROM, so I'm not blaming TW......yet.

So far, though, my current Samsung experience has been a refreshing one since ditching them back in 2013 for the HTC One M7 due to the horrendous state of TouchWiz at the time. I haven't experienced serious frame stutters nor did I feel that I was missing a beat after switching back and forth from my iPad Pro to my Note7.

In the end, it comes down to this. Do you prioritize speed and don't care about the extras? Go Nexus or iPhone. If you want features and more capabilities at the cost of a bit of snappiness, go with a Samsung or any other skinned Android device. In an ideal world, they would be a phone that's as fast as a Nexus or an iPhone while also filled to the absolute brim with features like a Samsung, but that hasn't cropped up yet, and likely won't for a while.

For the record, my unit is an SM-N930F variant, running on an Exynos 8890 with 4GB of RAM, running a different-ish build of the software on the August 1st security patch.
XDA is reporting that the Snapdragon variant is experiencing these lag issues.

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

Yeah, I think I'll be returning the phone.

The hardware is excellent, but it's just slow. Slow around the UI, seems to get weird bouts of lag where I have to restart the phone to get it to normal etc.

I tried turning animations off (down to 0) and it doesn't fix it. If I'm in an app and press the home button, I find myself waiting for the phone to remove the app off the screen and go to the homepage.

I don't root and flash roms or anything, so I don't know if that stuff improves it, but I won't be keeping the phone.
You had an HTC 10. Why on earth would you do that to yourself by buying a Note? Yes, beautiful screen, very good camera, but the rest is really not on par (my opinion)

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

You had an HTC 10. Why on earth would you do that to yourself by buying a Note? Yes, beautiful screen, very good camera, but the rest is really not on par (my opinion)
And I'd say the same about a HTC 10.. Why ever buy that? :p.

Just goes to show opinions are different. Luckily we have choices versus just having an iPhone to choose from right? ;).

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site

And I'd say the same about a HTC 10.. Why ever buy that? :p.

Just goes to show opinions are different. Luckily we have choices versus just having an iPhone to choose from right? ;).

You're not alone on that one. Couldn't return that phone fast enough. Smooth UI, but didn't offer a thing a hundred other phone didn't also offer. I got bored quick.

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site

I thought I'd share my thoughts on this.

First, let me start by saying that no. My Note7 is not invincible to lag. ALL phones lag at some point. Even my iPad Pro lags at times.

However, I will say that so far, my Note7 has been performing quite well. Is it as fast as a Nexus or an iPhone? Of course not, but I do appreciate the extra features that my Note provides, such as the S Pen features, resizable windows and more, which I feel are worth trading a couple of milliseconds of app launch times for.

That said, it's not perfect. SwiftKey lags horribly. It takes about a second or two for some keys to register at times when you type fast. Weirdly, the stock keyboard is perfectly fine, and I did notice that SwiftKey did lag a bit on my old HTC One M7 running a GPe ROM, so I'm not blaming TW......yet.

So far, though, my current Samsung experience has been a refreshing one since ditching them back in 2013 for the HTC One M7 due to the horrendous state of TouchWiz at the time. I haven't experienced serious frame stutters nor did I feel that I was missing a beat after switching back and forth from my iPad Pro to my Note7.

In the end, it comes down to this. Do you prioritize speed and don't care about the extras? Go Nexus or iPhone. If you want features and more capabilities at the cost of a bit of snappiness, go with a Samsung or any other skinned Android device. In an ideal world, they would be a phone that's as fast as a Nexus or an iPhone while also filled to the absolute brim with features like a Samsung, but that hasn't cropped up yet, and likely won't for a while.

For the record, my unit is an SM-N930F variant, running on an Exynos 8890 with 4GB of RAM, running a different-ish build of the software on the August 1st security patch.

SwiftKey has been laggy on every device I've ever used it on which included the first and second generation nexus 7's and the iPhone 6 plus.

I totally agree. All phones lag from time to time. Even my iPhone 6S plus lags occasionally. It's about acceptable lag/lag that doesn't interfere with your enjoyment of the device. My S7 edge runs pretty smoothly for the most part. I think touch wiz gets too much hate. The only samsung phone I've owned that had serious lag is the original galaxy note. My S4, S5, note 3 and note 4 were all fine.

My husband's galaxy s6 edge plus lags quite badly but I'm sure that's probably due to some dodgy apps be has installed on there.

Posted from my pink gold S7 edge

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
My iPad mini lags more than any device I've ever owned.

No OEM is immune. My 6P ran like a dream, but a brief time with the Nexus 5 was a nightmare.

If there are problems with the Note 7, let's hope Sammy gets an update out fast.

And yes, my S7 Edge runs really well. Even the Snapdragon can't kill it.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

SwiftKey has been laggy on every device I've ever used it on which included the first and second generation nexus 7's and the iPhone 6 plus.

I totally agree. All phones lag from time to time. Even my iPhone 6S plus lags occasionally. It's about acceptable lag/lag that doesn't interfere with your enjoyment of the device. My S7 edge runs pretty smoothly for the most part. I think touch wiz gets too much hate. The only samsung phone I've owned that had serious lag is the original galaxy note. My S4, S5, note 3 and note 4 were all fine.

My husband's galaxy s6 edge plus lags quite badly but I'm sure that's probably due to some dodgy apps be has installed on there.

Yeah, I feel that my Note hasn't been obscenely slow.

Maybe a teeny-weeny bit slower in some places compared to the iPhone 6s and HTC 10, but in daily use, I didn't really notice it.

That said, while IMO, TouchWiz now is much better and cleaner compared to earlier versions (especially ones in the S4-era), there's still quite a bit Samsung could do to further refine the UX, but I would say that right now, they're in a much better position.

Just waiting for Good Lock to be updated for the Note7 now. :p

Guyinbox

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site

I don't think Samsung is ever going to win an award for the most responsive ui. The fact that it's normal for users to suggest turning off animations goes to show that they still can't get something like window animations right. That being said, touchwiz on my my s7 edge is by far the best showing from Samsung to date that I've seen. My note 4 would become really laggy within a few months of doing a fdr, whereas the s7e is still pretty much how it was day 1. Unless you're coming from a pretty barebones Android skin (or ios) the responsiveness shouldn't bother you, and you may not even notice the little lags and stutters coming from an earlier Samsung phone.

I still think Samsung should be held somewhat accountable though. LG's ui has been heavily influenced by Samsung over the years and even after slimming down is still a pretty heavy skin, but their software absolutely flies on the g5. It's easily as fast as any other phone I've use in my short time playing with it. Now their skin is still ugly as sin and I think about twelve people bought the g5 because it was such a dumpster fire of a phone, but if LG can make their software perform like that I have to believe Samsung is capable of this as well.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

Just to add something interesting.

I haven't bothered to keep my Note at 0.5x animation speed. I did try it out for a few minutes, but I didn't like the way it looked as it looked kinda rushed, as if the phone is working too hard. I put it back at 1x animation speed, and I noticed that on the Exynos variant, animations tend to be pretty smooth without much stutters and frame drops.....most of the time. I mean, at times, it does stutter a bit, like a lot of other devices when you push them.

If anything, it reminds me of my LG G4 when it was fresh out of the box. Sure, it ran a heavy skin that wasn't exactly pretty and had oversized UI elements that would have been perfect if I had incredibly poor eyesight, but compared to the somewhat laggy nature of the LG G3, the G4 performed rather well, especially for a phone that runs on a somewhat troubled (though not as troubled as its bigger brother) processor with a heavy skin on top.

I still miss that thing. The camera is still remarkable on it. Too bad LG's QC kinda reared its ugly head on that one. Not that the Note7's camera is bad (it's excellent, one of the very best I've used), but that was the one phone that really got me interested in learning about smartphone photography. ;(

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

Oh wow, I'm not sure were to start, but I'll start like I've always started with these type of discussions. I'm a long time AC forum member, and have bought a lot of phones. I'm also a fan of Nexus phones, and have had every Galaxy Note model. This is not a Stock Android vs.Touchwiz issue for me. My Note 7 stutters as well, and now I see this isn't an isolated issue.

Other than the stutter, I really like this phone very much, and if not for that, it would be my favorite phone to date. I won't be returning it, but I really hope Samsung pushes out another update soon, because it really hurts the experience for me. My biggest issue is, picking up the phone after not using it for sometime. It always stutters badly, like Android phones did years ago, and then still stutters/lags/drop frames, whatever you call it; while using it.

I have a Oneplus 3, Nexus 6P, and a Galaxy S7 Edge. They all run smoother than my Note 7. The commonality of all those phones are they're all carrier unlocked. I'm tempted to buy a unlocked international version of the Note 7, but I really like using Samsung pay. My Note is an At&t version.

I know some of you have no issues, or just tolerate it, but like I said; this isn't an isolated issue. There's a good article on XDA about it.

The Note 7 Still Delivers Embarrassing Real-World Performance

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site

I'm convinced there's people who log onto these forums every year for the Galaxy launches and claim this. Wouldn't be a launch without it. I must be the luckiest guy in the world because after the following: S3, Note, S4, Note 2, S5, Note 3, S6 Edge, Note 4, S7/S7 Edge, and now Note 7, I haven't come close to experiencing these "unfreakingbelieveable" lag fests.

Posted via the Android Central App

How can you come close to it when you haven't tried distancing yourself from it. Try HTC Sony Motorola or Nexus phones for a year and you'll know what we are talking about.

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site

I don't think Samsung is ever going to win an award for the most responsive ui. The fact that it's normal for users to suggest turning off animations goes to show that they still can't get something like window animations right. That being said, touchwiz on my my s7 edge is by far the best showing from Samsung to date that I've seen. My note 4 would become really laggy within a few months of doing a fdr, whereas the s7e is still pretty much how it was day 1. Unless you're coming from a pretty barebones Android skin (or ios) the responsiveness shouldn't bother you, and you may not even notice the little lags and stutters coming from an earlier Samsung phone.

I still think Samsung should be held somewhat accountable though. LG's ui has been heavily influenced by Samsung over the years and even after slimming down is still a pretty heavy skin, but their software absolutely flies on the g5. It's easily as fast as any other phone I've use in my short time playing with it. Now their skin is still ugly as sin and I think about twelve people bought the g5 because it was such a dumpster fire of a phone, but if LG can make their software perform like that I have to believe Samsung is capable of this as well.

With Samsung for me its all about the features. So I don't care if it's not the fastest phone on the block. I'd rather have all the features of a galaxy S phone/note phone than a bland nexus phone. But we all have different tastes. People should get whatever makes them happy.

Robster33

Banned
Oct 15, 2014
Visit site

With Samsung for me its all about the features. So I don't care if it's not the fastest phone on the block. I'd rather have all the features of a galaxy S phone/note phone than a bland nexus phone. But we all have different tastes. People should get whatever makes them happy.

If it was half the price i would agree, but $1349 where i come from, i would expect it to be just as fast/smooth as its competitor for similar dollars, it is 2016 Samsung.

Last edited:

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

I think you should be able to have it all. The nice Samsung features, as well as a smooth, fast Android experience. My Note 5 was smoother than the Note 7 and, one of my favorite phones until the Nexus 6P came out. My S7 Edge runs smooth also.

Guyinbox

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site

Oh I'm on the s7 edge solely because of the screen and camera. I went from the note 4 to the v10 and I still find LG's screen tech unbearable next to Samsung's. Brightness and viewing angles were horrible on that thing lol. The camera on the v10 rocked, but the focus speed on the s7e makes it an awesome point and shoot phone camera without ever having to touch the settings.

Even on the v10 though, I was surprised how snappy LG's ui was on a pretty dated processor. I'm now looking forward to see what the v20 is gonna bring (I'm one of those annoying replaceable battery people:p.) If it's disappointing, I'll either jump to the note 7 and buy a mophie case or hold onto the edge until next year.

rsmin

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site

He may just have a bad one or an app messing with his battery life. Look at the comments on the review and several are not having the issues he is. Maybe I am old and slow but I couldn't see any lag at all while he was flipping around the phone. Best thing to do is see how yours works when you get it after several days and decide then if it is worth you keeping yours or not. I don't think the battery life will be the greatest but if it gets me through the day I will be fine. But if he is seeing lag on that video I just don't see it.

mistic99

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

1st you should do is uninstall some of those apps I find it hard to believe you use 200 apps. I have owned multiple Android phones LG G3, Note 5 S3 &.4 and now N7 never had a problem with lag. I always set my phone up from scratch like I am new to Android no smart switch and it works for me. I think it's unfair to blame Samsung for user issues they can't be held responsible for the way people use there device's.

Posted via the Android Central App

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers