Note 7 - This lag is unfreakingbelievable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Re: This lag is unfreakingbelievable

Could be. Unless the expectation was instant response and immediate app openings.

Yeah I can see that being an issue. Not specific to Samsung or the Note 7 though. ;)

I hated the HDR/image processing times on the 6P. Hated the slow multitasking window/swiping animation. Transition from Google Now isn't always smooth. I didnt start a thread on the 6P forums saying it was a lagfest, either.

Posted via the Android Central App

panzerghost

May 14, 2013
Visit site

Yea touchwiz is still laggy but it's tolerable to me. The worst seems to be when restarting the phone. The lag hits hard and persists for about a good 15 seconds.

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site

I'm on T-mobile, have Nova as launcher and all animations turned off plus a few widgets on pages and I don't experience any lags. I watched that video a page back about 5 bad things of the Note 7 and maybe it's me but when he was showing the "lag", I didn't really notice a lag... is he complaining about it being milliseconds slower than his other phones? In regards to battery life, mine has been amazing, it's been off the charger now for 3 hours, I've been using it off and on all morning and it shows that I have 20h 19m of battery left and my power saving mode is off.

Also in the settings, where can you find what processor variant your phone has?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Yea touchwiz is still laggy but it's tolerable to me. The worst seems to be when restarting the phone. The lag hits hard and persists for about a good 15 seconds.

That is just the phone booting -- all my phones did this as I have certain apps purposely startup upon boot.

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site

It doesn't monitor each app to wait for a notification -- that would make the processor go wild trying to scan all apps all the time. Whenever an app wants to do a notification it just does a system call to produce the notification. That way the app / processor can go idle and respond to a call when needed.
And what powers the apps ability to know when a system call is required?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

And what powers the apps ability to know when a system call is required?

The system running ? The Android system that is running the time your phone is on? It sits idle and waits for a call. That is WAY different in power usage than what you suggested is happening. The processor is not actively scanning all apps for that as that would cause mass drain.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

I'm in the process of moving stuff off my sd card so I can reformat it in the Note 7. I've already factory resetted the phone. I hope this helps some. I just hope Samsung comes out with an update soon. I haven't been on a carrier-bloated phone in several months since being on Project Fi. It would be so awesome if Samsung had a Google experience Note 7.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I'm in the process of moving stuff off my sd card so I can reformat it in the Note 7. I've already factory resetted the phone. I hope this helps some. I just hope Samsung comes out with an update soon. I haven't been on a carrier-bloated phone in several months since being on Project Fi. It would be so awesome if Samsung had a Google experience Note 7.

Won't happen... Those died a few years ago

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

Won't happen... Those died a few years ago

I know, it's just a pipe dream lol! I guess it wasn't a popular sell. I really like the Note 7, even with the stutter, I can't wait to get back to it after doing a factory reset.

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site

I am on verizon, with all their crapware. Have over 200 apps installed. Using a 200GB microSD card. No lag, its actually smoother then my S7e.

I think ur using it wrong. LOL
I put animations back to 1x from being off.

It seems better so far. I was experiencing heavy keyboard lag on Google keyboard.

Maybe it was throttling based on the wireless charging mat I picked it up from

wsrobert

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site

A few things before I begin to outline my situation:

Tmobile Note 7 user. I always keep an android and iOS device on me. I have no real preference. Am coming from the S7 Edge (which is easily my favorite android device to date).

That said, out of the box and for the first few days I was experiencing severe lag - specifically the animations. Frame rate drops/stutters as you navigate the OS. Was massively frustrating considering the S7 Edge has provided such a fluid experience. Especially in comparison. The S7 Edge was the first Samsung device that I felt didnt suffer from what others refer to as typical Samsung "jank". It was definitely back on my note. Hitting the home button saw a noticeable delay before action was taken, open and closing apps saw frame rate drops, etc. So I started to work through what might be causing it.

I backed up using sidesync from my S7 Edge. Maybe something was slightly corrupted in that transfer? So performed a hard reset and set up as a fresh device - not even pulling down the samsung cloud data.

Problem persisted.

So then I started taking a deep dive into the settings and disabling even more apps that I know I wouldnt use. At this point, its purring along quite well and has been for a solid 24 hours. Here's what I did:

1. Disabled preloaded amazon, every T-Mobile preinstalled app thats possible, Facebook, Lookout, S Voice, Samsung+
2. Turned off Wi-Fi Calling
3. The "T-Mobile" app doesnt allow for disabling. But I turned off everything that it could possibly do/have access to within the app settings. Location, send SMS, make calls, etc. Everything.
4. Turned off smart stay, smart capture, palm swipe to capture, direct call, smart alert

I'm missing some other small tweaks that I dont remember at the moment, but the two things I want to point out that I think made the biggest difference (and also have seemingly increased battery life by a significant amount) is disabling Samsung+ and shutting off everything within the T-Mobile app. And potentially wi-fi calling. Combined with not backing up from an old device (a common problem on iOS too).

Samsung+ appears to be eating up a ton of system resources considering how much stuff its monitoring. I found a process "Help" running constantly that appears to have been tied up in the processes for Samsung+. I shut off everything within the Tmobile app at the same time as disabling Samsung+ so it might not have been an issue - but it did seem to be grabbing my location enough to show up in the list of recent apps to have requested location data. I just shut off wi-fi calling this more as further testing.

As mentioned, not only has my battery life significantly improved, but the fluidity around the phone is pretty night and day. I was very close to returning and just sticking with my S7 Edge for now. Or until Samsung issued an update. But if these changes continue to work/help, then I'll be keeping it. This is easily the nicest hardware ever produced of any phone - iPhone or otherwise. Tons to love about the device. But a stuttery OS experience is a major deal killer for me. Hopefully these changes continue to help!

LindtChocolate

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site

That's touchwiz for ya. Great for a bit then it bogs you down.

You can go to developer options and make animations slightly faster, as well as disabling a lot of duplicate samsung apps maybe that'll give you a feeling of extra speed.

Jona005

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site

best things for the phone in my experience seem to be using package disabler pro. I know it's still in "new phone stage" but mine is running better than my nexus 6p was before I sold it, honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.