Status
Not open for further replies.

m3lover1

Trusted Member
May 4, 2010
Visit site
Re: Think the lag is due to scaling

All,

Been lurking through this forum and the xda forums. I also have been experiencing lag.
Was on the xda forums and someone mentioned changing the scaling from small to large. Not sure if it's a placebo effect, but the phone does seem snappier. Will test more tomorrow. But for the lag users, try changing the scale from small to large. See if that helps.
Yowzers I changed it to large, and I don't know if it's placebo or not too, but it does seem snappier. Especially in tapatalk, no more jankiness when scrolling down. Quite annoyed as I really do prefer the smaller display scaling

jdballard

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Re: This lag is unfreakingbelievable

That's a bit unfair to the OP as it is quite possible they are actually experiencing lag. Doesn't mean that it's a widespread problem, but it is quite possibly very real for a small number of users.

Granted, how the problem is stated can affect the reader's perception, too. It can either sound like nothing but ******** or an appeal for help. Everyone can decide for themselves on that...

JOHNGAETANO

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site

I will jump in here and say this. I love this phone to death. BUT, I have experienced random lag here and there. It not something you replicate. It happens, things slow down noticeably, and then recover. It's odd as heck, but it does happen. Last night I tried to show a friend of mine the Iris Scanner, and the scanner slowed down like it was a 286 computer. But then it snapped out of it. Unlike the OP, I only have a handful of apps on my Note. Again, I love this phone, love the feel, love the pen, love the Blue Coral. The lag, I hope at some point settles down, or simply vanishes.

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site

People who are changing their animation scale, I find that to do more harm and make the transitios have a jarring effect. Once I changed mine back to 1x, if felt ALOT smoother IMO.

I never had an issue turning off the Animations. Did it with all my notes.

Posted via the Android Central App

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site

One other thing regarding the lag, keep in mind I do not own the Note 7, still haven't decided, but is it possible that some people have optimized some apps for better battery that they shouldn't have, like system UI or some Google or Samsung processes?

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I didn't want to comment on it but since there is now a thread...yes...Note 7 on Verizon...noticeable lags...in fact, I can't say I ever had much of a lag on my Note 5. I do have a MicroSD card but only a few large games moved do it.

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site

best things for the phone in my experience seem to be using package disabler pro. I know it's still in "new phone stage" but mine is running better than my nexus 6p was before I sold it, honest.

Would be cool to get that list of what is safe to remove using this. I did it for my Note 5 but in reality I don't think it really improved the overall experience all that much. I used it to get rid of all the dumb stuff installed like NFL Mobile and all the Verizon stuff

TonyStarks260

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
See I didn't perceive it as lag on my phone, it was plenty fast for me. The issue in my book was the animation choppiness and everyone's favorite word "jank". I think alot of it was due to AT&T just loading the phone up with nonsense, and the fact that touchwiz launcher is just hot hot garbage.

But really, loved the Note, but returned it so I could look into an Exynos unlocked version. I don't think I can buy carrier phones anymore. There so much extra trash loaded on them it just makes my heart hurt. It's been a good year since I've had one, and its unbelievable what they get away with.

itzjonjon69

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
weird thing guys i bought a verizon note 7 on release day and right from the get go the phone was super laggy and it would get hot af! whenever i tried typing/texting it lagged really bad and the sound when typing would be delayed. I was about to return the phone today until someone mentioned a factory reset and i thought hell what do i have to lose. After the factory reset the phone is MUCH snappier and i noticed it doesn't get hot (under normal use). Not sure what happened or what i did, maybe it had to do with leaving the content scaling on large?

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site

3. The "T-Mobile" app doesnt allow for disabling. But I turned off everything that it could possibly do/have access to within the app settings. Location, send SMS, make calls, etc. Everything.
You might want to get into the phone with ADB. There are some apps that can be hidden from the system so they won't actually start. Even if you can't disable them in the user interface, you can stop their madness from ever starting after a reboot.
Once set up with ADB, do "adb shell" from the command line.
(I'm not going to go into detail on how to get or setup ADB. Users that can't do that probably shouldn't be messing around in the command line portion of the phone anyway.)
Type "pm list packages" to get a list of all the packages on your device. Once you figure out which ones are being naughty, do a "pm hide PackageName" to stop the system from seeing it.
Don't be too overzealous though. You can hide some pretty important apps with this method. There are lists out there of apps people think are OK to hide if you need some guidance.

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I was just on a phone call trying to jot down a note using the pen, there was a definite lag writing ink. Very annoying

It's your phone man. I'm on Sprint just like you, read this and went and tested it out...no lag...the digitizer worked just as expected with no discernable input lag compared to not in a phone call. Go return that mother...

JOHNGAETANO

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
I don't disagree with you, but do you think it's possible to have that many phones with issues?

It's your phone man. I'm on Sprint just like you, read this and went and tested it out...no lag...the digitizer worked just as expected with no discernable input lag compared to not in a phone call. Go return that mother...

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Well..yeah...out of millions of phones and only a tiny fraction of that flocking to forums to talk about problems...it's highly likely we'd see any issues more transparently.

I tested because in my brain..it made sense that the phone software for Sprints CDMA network is an extra layer and might make that activity somewhat slower. It just didn't work out in my testing...hence...probably a bum decide, he's had other issues too!

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I don't disagree with you, but do you think it's possible to have that many phones with issues?

Yes, and no. Define many? I bet in the end it turns out to be a few. Also android and tw gets the blame for a lot of user caused issues.

Mine is smooth. Solid. I also dont believe that will change over the coming months (people say phones slow down with use... umm, no, not if you taof care of them)

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

I think the apps are not right. My note 5 had no issue with Pokemon go. Note 7 pauses every time a ball hits a Pokemon. Funny thing is my wife has a S7 and hers does the same thing. It's not lag...apps are not right for this chip. Other than things like that it rolls wide open. Google needs to start checking popular apps.
My Note 5 pauses sometimes at that same time. Been doing it off and on for a couple of weeks now.

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site

Thanks, where in settings can I find the info?

I don't know that it's in the settings, I've never seen it in there. In the General Management section it will give you the model number, and from there you would have to find out what processor that model has.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

Would be cool to get that list of what is safe to remove using this. I did it for my Note 5 but in reality I don't think it really improved the overall experience all that much. I used it to get rid of all the dumb stuff installed like NFL Mobile and all the Verizon stuff
Generally or at least it used to be, anything with the name in Pink was considered "bloat". If you tell it to disable all bloat those are the ones it will disable.

Now there are apps that are considered bloat that many use, so YMMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.