Note 7 - This lag is unfreakingbelievable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Here is what I wonder (and maybe someone already knows):

How much of the iPhone appearing faster is because of the custom storage solution? Having used an iPhone 6s+ for about a month I can say that nothing a normal person would be doing would cause a significant slowdown. Not even downloading a crapload of app updates would cause a stutter.

That being said, it wasn't perfect (I don't want to sound like that's what I'm claiming). But it was pretty difficult to make it slow down at all.

This also makes me wonder if Apple is doing some smart cache/RAM management. With the storage being so fast it seems likely that they could cache the last thing you do with an app when it's kicked from memory. Then when you open that app again, instead of calling for a refresh from network (which is infinitely slower than onboard storage or memory) they just pull that cache and you're on your way. It's fast enough that this would be imperceptible to user. Since that's also the last thing YOU did with that app you will think it just came from memory.

I'm sure this could be tested, but I don't have an iPhone to do it. This could also be a rabbit hole of "yeah, but they could do THIS to get around THAT" type of discussion when things like "but what about reboots" are brought up.

What I'm saying is, Apple has a ton of really smart engineers doing ingenious things in iOS. They could have devised a way to improve the user experience so that RAM management isn't so in-your-face.

That's interesting. I'd be curious to know if that's the case or not.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Here is what I wonder (and maybe someone already knows):

How much of the iPhone appearing faster is because of the custom storage solution? Having used an iPhone 6s+ for about a month I can say that nothing a normal person would be doing would cause a significant slowdown. Not even downloading a crapload of app updates would cause a stutter.

That being said, it wasn't perfect (I don't want to sound like that's what I'm claiming). But it was pretty difficult to make it slow down at all.

This also makes me wonder if Apple is doing some smart cache/RAM management. With the storage being so fast it seems likely that they could cache the last thing you do with an app when it's kicked from memory. Then when you open that app again, instead of calling for a refresh from network (which is infinitely slower than onboard storage or memory) they just pull that cache and you're on your way. It's fast enough that this would be imperceptible to user. Since that's also the last thing YOU did with that app you will think it just came from memory.

I'm sure this could be tested, but I don't have an iPhone to do it. This could also be a rabbit hole of "yeah, but they could do THIS to get around THAT" type of discussion when things like "but what about reboots" are brought up.

What I'm saying is, Apple has a ton of really smart engineers doing ingenious things in iOS. They could have devised a way to improve the user experience so that RAM management isn't so in-your-face.

I've been saying something similar for the past couple years. iOS is slow to adopt new features and people say they don't innovate. I don't believe that at all! I believe Apple innovates in ways a person would never see. It's not a bunch of new features, it's perfecting what's underneath. Sure, it's not as flashy as a million new features every year but the kinds of under the hood improvements they make are ingenious nonetheless.

Deke218

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
I am not having much "lag" per say but there are a few software issues im having with apps that I use literally every day that are somewhat deal breakers. I use waze for navigation exclusively. Today I cannot get the app to close or to open properly.

I believe that to be a issue with Waze. I'm having the same issue on the head unit in my car. App doesn't want to close. Having problems connecting with the server. Speedometer showing I'm going 50mph when I'm stopped at a light.

Maggnus

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I absolutel agree with you. I have had the AT&T Note 7 for 6 days now and as far az performance goes it's disastrous. It alternates between running very fast and then lagging very severely.
I applied the AT&T OTA update yesterday and it's now worse plus it now has intermittent keyboard lag too. This phone is not ready for prime time and I'll be returning the peace of junk back to BestBuy.

I used an international Note 5 that runs circles around this phone. I think I'll try to get an International Note 7 from Amazon when available.

anon(26204)

May 24, 2010
Visit site
I absolutel agree with you. I have had the AT&T Note 7 for 6 days now and as far az performance goes it's disastrous. It alternates between running very fast and then lagging very severely.
I applied the AT&T OTA update yesterday and it's now worse plus it now has intermittent keyboard lag too. This phone is not ready for prime time and I'll be returning the peace of junk back to BestBuy.

I used an international Note 5 that runs circles around this phone. I think I'll try to get an International Note 7 from Amazon when available.

Did you factory reset after the update was applied? If not, I would give that a whirl.

How come you just didn't wait and get an international model? You're a member here on AC so you know that our carrier phones always... Well most of the time suck when compared to the performance of the international models.

With that said, I got the Sprint model and it works great. There is a little lag here and there, but not enough to make me want to return this beauty. I don't think there's any phone out there that doesn't have lag at some point... Including the iphones, nexus, htc's and the international phones.

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
There are far too many instances of lag in this thread for a flagship phone. Samsung has to revisit their software and completely re-engineer it, just as they did with their exterior design

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I have that too, but it has more RAM than the iPhone. There's also the possibility that RAM management isn't identical on tablet versus phone.
Yeah, that's another thing too. I don't have a 6s right now, but maybe my sister might replace her 5s with one once the 2016 iPhones drop. Maybe I'll give that a whirl when I can.

How is your Exynos running? Also is it unlocked?

Update- sorry just seen your earlier response.
Yeah, it's a solid performer. It could still be better, but my experience so far has been much better than on some other Samsungs.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
There are far too many instances of lag in this thread for a flagship phone. Samsung has to revisit their software and completely re-engineer it, just as they did with their exterior design

Completely disagree. I've been here since the Galaxy S on Froyo. I've been predicting these threads for weeks now.

I'm not psychic, but just replace Note 7 with "S3, Note 2, S4, Note 3"..etc and you have many threads here on Android Central.

I can predict the sun will rise, because it does every day.

I can predict extreme lag threads for all Samsung releases, because they are as dependable as the sun rising. Just the way it is.

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Completely disagree. I've been here since the Galaxy S on Froyo. I've been predicting these threads for weeks now.

I'm not psychic, but just replace Note 7 with "S3, Note 2, S4, Note 3"..etc and you have many threads here on Android Central.

I can predict the sun will rise, because it does every day.

I can predict extreme lag threads for all Samsung releases, because they are as dependable as the sun rising. Just the way it is.
Sorry to say, you must be in complete denial. Everyone knows Samsung's TouchWiz was even more horrendous prior to the s7.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to say, you must be in complete denial. Everyone knows Samsung's TouchWiz was even more horrendous prior to the s7.

I think you misunderstood.

What you consider lag, the general public doesn't notice.

It is not unbearable or extreme. Every thread for every release says it is though .

Actually the Note 5 wasn't horrendous at all.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Well, I thought I'd add a bit here.

I had a Galaxy S3 and also used a Note 3 plus S5 for a bit. I'll be honest, those were the days when TouchWiz was legitimately bad in my experience. It was bloated and performance became a huge issue over time with some of those phones. Of course, that's just my experience, but it did feel that way.

The software on the S6 was a bit of a revelation to me. While it didn't look much different, quite a bit of stuff deemed unnecessary were removed and the experience felt cleaner as a whole. Over time, I've been slowly seeing that ethos being applied to every successor. For instance, my Note doesn't have Samsung's music player. The default music player is Google Play Music. Of course, there's still some Samsung dupe apps, but it's nice to see that there's less of them now and how they're optional downloads if you need them.

To me, TouchWiz now has come a long way. Obviously, it's not perfect (like everything) and there's still a bunch of things they could still do to further improve the user-experience. But this has been a much-improved experience from the last time I properly used a Samsung and I hope they don't stop improving the experience.

As a side note, my favorite OEM skin is still HTC Sense, but TW is no longer in my list of super-awful skins. It has graduated a year ago.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
...Missinforming people and misleading them is not really nice. The XDA article is trying to point out performance issues. Read the Android Authority review. They love the phone, but also mention that the performance is not very good. The press has a job: To properly inform people. Misleading them (for whatever reason) is not nice.
I do not buy for a second that the Note 7 is the best phone out there. Not even for a millisecond. ...

...Having said that, tech blogs that say this is the phone of the year, and are not mentioning the performance issues of this device, are not very professional, or have a hidden agenda. ...

So basically if they don't see it the way you do, then they have an agenda? You say you get that others can have different opinions, then lambaste them for them for they way they express it. SMH Some bloggers, AC included, specifically have not relied on benchmark tests because they are not necessarily relevant to use in the realworld. I personally find them interesting, but not relavent. PLUS, there are sites that do that. If that is what is important to you, then you will not miss XDA and AnandTech reviews. I am sure neither of those sites will name it phone of the year.

For me, it is perfectly believable that other believe this is the best phone of the year. I could have bought any phone I wanted. I bought the Note 7 because l like it better than anything out there now, and anything coming this year. In the week I have owned the phone, I have 0 performance issues. I love everything the phone does, and the feature set far outweighs any nitpicks I may have. I say that as a person that was dying to switch back to a Nexus phone. I have lost that urge. What Sammy is doing is just better. (My opinion.)

The idea that everybody should conform to your way of thinking is ludicrous. I am glad that there are people that review the phone the way I experience it. I know and follow the reviewers. I know who I agree with, and what experiences are most relavent to mine.

Why did I wonder back into this thread . . . .

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site

My S7 Edge runs great thank you very much. And just so we're clear, I've owned every OEM out there. So I would know.

Now there may be an issue with this year's Note, but you need to start qualifying your general statements. Because your spouting a lot of misinformation. Visit the S7 Edge forum and see if lag is mentioned once.

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Well, I thought I'd add a bit here.

I had a Galaxy S3 and also used a Note 3 plus S5 for a bit. I'll be honest, those were the days when TouchWiz was legitimately bad in my experience. It was bloated and performance became a huge issue over time with some of those phones. Of course, that's just my experience, but it did feel that way.

The software on the S6 was a bit of a revelation to me. While it didn't look much different, quite a bit of stuff deemed unnecessary were removed and the experience felt cleaner as a whole. Over time, I've been slowly seeing that ethos being applied to every successor. For instance, my Note doesn't have Samsung's music player. The default music player is Google Play Music. Of course, there's still some Samsung dupe apps, but it's nice to see that there's less of them now and how they're optional downloads if you need them.

To me, TouchWiz now has come a long way. Obviously, it's not perfect (like everything) and there's still a bunch of things they could still do to further improve the user-experience. But this has been a much-improved experience from the last time I properly used a Samsung and I hope they don't stop improving the experience.

As a side note, my favorite OEM skin is still HTC Sense, but TW is no longer in my list of super-awful skins. It has graduated a year ago.
I agree that they have definitely come a long way, but instead of making useless apps like Samsung pay (basically a duplicate of Android pay), they need to focus on their software. They also need to stop making a gazillion different devices so stop fragmentation.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I agree that they have definitely come a long way, but instead of making useless apps like Samsung pay (basically a duplicate of Android pay), they need to focus on their software. They also need to stop making a gazillion different devices so stop fragmentation.

Samsung Pay is not a duplicate of Android Pay at all.

They can develop apps and software, they are a multi-level corporation.

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Re: This lag is unfreakingbelievable

I agree about Android Central app being a mess. I have to re-log in every time I open it, it never takes me to the last post I've read any more (always goes to first post on first page), and often it won't let me post even when I have logged in.

THIS. So annoying.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I've been saying something similar for the past couple years. iOS is slow to adopt new features and people say they don't innovate. I don't believe that at all! I believe Apple innovates in ways a person would never see. It's not a bunch of new features, it's perfecting what's underneath. Sure, it's not as flashy as a million new features every year but the kinds of under the hood improvements they make are ingenious nonetheless.

I think there is merit to that, but it seems more and more true that their pace of innovation has slowed. I'd say to a large extent it is true of the space. Not sure what is coming next, but I don't see a true Next Big Thing on the horizon . . .

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I agree that they have definitely come a long way, but instead of making useless apps like Samsung pay (basically a duplicate of Android pay),
Samsung Pay is vastly superior to Android Pay, because Samsung Pay supports MST, and therefore works with almost any card-swipe reader. Android Pay (like Apple Pay) doesn't work with swipe readers and requires an explicit arrangement with the vendor in order to work at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton