Note 7 - This lag is unfreakingbelievable

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllPhones

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Yep, mines lag way too much. My N5 has the same apps exact apps I did a transfer from my N5 to the N7. My Note 5 is buttery smooth while my Note 7 lags. I am really surprised!

crystinonfire

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Oh let me add.. I always use the Nova back up, but that is just Nova settings. That has never been an issue for me.

Also when I get a new Samsung phone, I never set it up using any backup, always do it as a new phone.
Thanks for your help Kelly. Just to clarify, so when the setup asks me if I want it to download my current apps I should say no and the go download them one by one?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Way too many people chiming in to report lag. I hope an update will clear this up

It really isn't way too many people. It is always the negative stuff that gets reported.

I'm telling you, this is just like every release I have experienced here. People report the negative.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your help Kelly. Just to clarify, so when the setup asks me if I want it to download my current apps I should say no and the go download them one by one?

Well it ask you when you put in your Google account about picking a date or you can choose new device. Choose new device. I'm going from memory so the wording may be a little off.

This is what I do..

After I set it up initially.. I use package disabler pro, so I go download that immediately and don't update any play store apps. I then disable what I want to disable. After that is done, I update and then I download my apps from the play store.

Then I restore my Nova back up and my homescreen will be set up with all my icons, widgets etc, then go tap my widgets and set them up.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
A side note.. My battery issue and the media server problem I'm having, I did set my phone up from Smart Switch this time. It is the first time I have done that.

My phone got a new battery and the OS removed by Samsung and the OS out back on. I am having horrible battery issues. Two hour SOT and about five hours total on battery, with a new battery and this weird media server issue that I have only seen when there is an SD card.

Point is I used wireless Smart Switch to move a lot from the Note 5 I was using to this one.

There could be an issue with Smart Switch.

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I was getting very bad lag. Even when typing. I've done the following and its much better:

Increased scaling to large and back to small
Disabled Lookout, S Voice, and Samsung+
Uninstalled Google Keyboard

I ran Google Launcher too i tried all that, it's not Touch Wiz.
Changing scaling like you did seems to have made my phone definitely smoother. Maybe it's just a placebo effect

crystinonfire

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
OK this is where it is. I just did my reset.

Just reset from recovery mode and said "no thanks" when it asked if i had another device. And this time I said to use large icons instead of small.

Things seem to be going better now! I only installed one app so far -- Duolingo -- that one was of the apps with the pretty severe stuttering during scrolling, and so far so good.

Kelly, are you using large or small icons? Do you think it makes a difference?

update: instagram is also no longer stuttering during scrolling.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Re: This lag is unfreakingbelievable

Sometimes it can fix issues. Also you can try it in safe mode and see if you are experiencing lag then.

Also a reset like this, I would set up as a new phone, not restore.

If it isn't happening in safe mode, then you need to look at your apps.

Right now I have media server showing up on my Note 5 with a new battery, eating my battery like crazy. A reset is the only thing in an do, that has a chance to fix that.

I reset the phone and set it up as a new phone. I now have it as it is OOTB with no additional apps other than the benchmarking apps, and it's benchmarking even more slowly. Example, AnTuTu is at 88746 where it is around 134000 on the S7 Edge and the Note7 measured in this site. I'm try Samsung+.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
No issues or I can't tell. Seriously, the only time I experienced LAG was back with the Samsung Galaxy S4, it was so bad I was forced to sell it after two weeks.

Use Nove Prime, I disabled a few Bloatware/Carrier apps, only have a handful don't need 100+ and ALWAYS start from scratch, new device and never restore. I actually enjoy spending days setting up, customizing my new toy.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Just reset from recovery mode and said "no thanks" when it asked if i had another device. And this time I said to use large icons instead of small.

Things seem to be going better now! I only installed one app so far -- Duolingo -- that one was of the apps with the pretty severe stuttering during scrolling, and so far so good.

Kelly, are you using large or small icons? Do you think it makes a difference?

update: instagram is also no longer stuttering during scrolling.

I use the regular size icons with Nova on my homescreen, but in my tray at the bottom, I make them smaller and have about 7 across the bottom I believe.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

I reset the phone and set it up as a new phone. I now have it as it is OOTB with no additional apps other than the benchmarking apps, and it's benchmarking even more slowly. Example, AnTuTu is at 88746 where it is around 134000 on the S7 Edge and the Note7 measured in this site. I'm try Samsung+.

You will haw to get Samsung Plus tomorrow. They are closed now I believe. They have a "phone call" option for Samsung Plus, but according to one of the Samsung Plus managers, that won't get your the Samsung Plus Dept, only video chat will.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I've factory reset my phone for the third time. The last two times I set it up as a new device. The first time I set it up, I restored from a previous phone but never got far with that setup because I thought something else was wrong.

I like the phone, but if I were to describe the stutter/lag issue, it's like how earlier versions of Android was. It runs smooth but about every third or fourth operation, it stutters. I really hope Samsung pushes an update. Back a few years ago I would just root the phone and install a custom rom. The way things are now, I'd lose a lot of the neat features I like if I rooted.

skinnytoo2

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
Verizon variant is killin it over here!! I have a ton of apps, four push emails syncing and I stream music & video nonstop. No lag at all. Very very happy!!

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

Also the benchmarks.. Don't out a lot of faith in those. So many things can affect phone performance.

Judge by what you see when using the phone. If it is working for you and your needs, don't worry about numbers from an app.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I've factory reset my phone for the third time. The last two times I set it up as a new device. The first time I set it up, I restored from a previous phone but never got far with that setup because I thought something else was wrong.

I like the phone, but if I were to describe the stutter/lag issue, it's like how earlier versions of Android was. It runs smooth but about every third or fourth operation, it stutters. I really hope Samsung pushes an update. Back a few years ago I would just root the phone and install a custom rom. The way things are now, I'd lose a lot of the neat features I like if I rooted.

You need to contact Samsung Plus, through the app, video chat and let them remote in and see what is happening.

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Okay some are claiming they gonna return phones and what not along with all the complaints.

It is a new phone & comparing it to a phone without an extra GUI added kind of shows some lack of knowledge. But that's okay. Touchwiz being still the added extra will have some quarks especially on such a new phone.

Going into the developer options can help with lag. BUT..... you really have to check your apps installed.

New version Touchwiz, newer android & 200+ apps? Really? How many apps do you need? I'm assuming you talking 200 more apps that do not come stock right?

Many apps if not all have some sort of notification system which has to be Constantly running on the phone to work. This plus whatever else your apps need to have running in the background .

iPhone is another animal. Apples & Oranges. If I'm not mistaken iPhone handle apps the same way & has had it share of issues on each new release.

Android is like most OSS on brand new status....

Release Status 1.0 (still not perfect) lagging is very annoying still though so I get it.

I usually install in phases. I like a lot of apps too but anything new I do it in phases. I don't install it all up front. Only my main apps & the others I install as I find the need for them. This way helps me narrow down in my head what may be the issue. I have stopped using some apps due to the impact they have shown. This and some were just fishy or had annoying ad systems.

If you do have millions of apps never install at once. Gradually is your friend....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay