Note 7 - This lag is unfreakingbelievable

Status
Not open for further replies.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
So i just transferred in from a iPhone 6+. This is not my first time on android though. I had a HTC M8 before getting the 6+ so i know what to expect.

I will say the Note 7 was very laggy for me just stock. I did some reboots but those didn't seem to help. i downloaded an app to disable some stock apps, AT&T, Facebook and a few others. Those SEEMED to help but the thing that really seemed to help was when i disabled Brief. I seemed to get much better responses after that. Also, i'm not sure but it seems every time i put on my S-View kickstand case from Samsung it slowed down my home screen again. i took it off and it was smooth again. Not sure but i'm returning the case anyway. Its not to my liking.

I'd strongly encourage you to try a full factory reset. I tried the same things you did, and they made a difference, but once I did the factory reset, performance improved dramatically, both my opinion and benchmarking numbers across the board.

Anyway, i just wanted to toss up a few things that seemed to help me. Here are list of things i do and don't like.

1. S Pen is great. Jotting notes down is really cool. Love it.
2. The Note 7 itself feels wonderful to hold.
3. Samsung apps have improved over the S5 i tried after my HTC. I'm trying to use only stock items for now.
They have improved a lot, but there are still many apps out there far better than stock. Two examples include Textra to replace Messenger, and Nine Folders if you use Exchange based email, or Cloud Magic if you mostly use Apple email.

4. Fingerprint scanner is way faster then my 6+. I don't have a 6s+ to compare but the Note 7 is a huge jump up.

Apple deserves credit here. The 6S and 6S+ fingerprint scanners are instantaneous, and noticeably quicker than the Note.

5. I don't like that the stock lock screen doesn't allow music widgets or something to control my podcasts with. Annoying really.
Which apps are you using for music and podcasts? I use Google Music and Podcast Magic, and both show up on the stock lock screen allowing me to select next track, previous track, and in the case of Google Music, like or dislike tracks.

8. Chrome seems to load pages really slow but i was running 1Blocker on iOS with a few whitelisted sites. my N7 seems to load pretty slow. Any tips would help here.

The default Samsung Browser is way quicker than Chrome, and also supports using the S-Pen on the top and bottom tips to increase scroll speed. Firefox is also a lot quicker.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Mod note: people are here to help, regardless of if they have the phone or not. Posting in this thread is not an exclusive club, stop calling people out.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Apple deserves credit here. The 6S and 6S+ fingerprint scanners are instantaneous, and noticeably quicker than the Note.
On my particular unit, after an OTA, the fingerprint sensor became nearly as fast as that on the iPhone 6s.

Like, on the 6s, just press the button to wake the phone, and it unlocks. It's so fast, it actually breezes past the lockscreen, especially the notifications. After the OTA, my Note did the same thing.

Still stunned that one OTA turned the fingerprint sensor from "fast but not super-fast" to "6s fast".

Savoy

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm coming from a Note 5, longtime Samsung user, and I for sure notice the lag. This N7 is much laggier than my N5

This is exactly my sentiment. My note 5 was way smoother than this note 7. I can compare them side by side side i have the note 5 to my wife to replace her note 4. The note 5 barely ever hitched when scrolling or moving from app to app the note 7 does almost every time. I'm not happy about it.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Re: This lag is unfreakingbelievable

What's there to hard reset??phone is brand new no reason to do that. Maybe after 6 months but not when it's a few days old.

When many have used Smart Switch or restore and are experiencing issues, you need to reset and set it up as a new device.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

What's there to hard reset??phone is brand new no reason to do that. Maybe after 6 months but not when it's a few days old.
Sometimes, if you transfer data from an old phone, some quirks might carry over.

It's typically recommended to start with a clean slate.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Mod Note: Please respect fellow members.

A.C. Forums members are actively encouraged to offer genuine help and advice. Please understand that such members have to spend some time in order to help others.

In addition, use the report button if you suspect that any user may be breaking rules.

Thanks.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Thread has been re-opened.

[NOTE]Please remember to respect fellow members while sharing thoughts, opinions and experiences with others. Don't forget P.U.P.P.A.H.

Also, if you see any post that you suspect might be breaking the rules, please report it using the report button (the exclamation triangle). We read all of them.[/NOTE]

[WARN]If this thread goes down into what it has come down to several times before, it will be permanently-closed.[/WARN] As much as I actively encourage users to share their opinions and discuss about them no matter where they stand, if we can't have a friendly, thoughtful discussion, then it's probably best that we calm down before things go wrong.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
Fingerprint - the one area where iP6S shines, round button works even if touch ID from side or "upsidedown"

My S7 works much better than older S6 was but also not reason enough to stay with the iPhone,

Lag on iPhone happens, 2GB RAM or something else - closing all apps and also needed to turn WiFi off / on, and where WiFi is supplemented by cellular data. My data use was much much higher on 6S+ doing same things and deeded a better data plan, so in the end cost more.

Apple small memory, no SD card, but does uses faster NVME storage

noellenchris

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site

There's your problem.

I don't think it's due to 200 apps, I've had 400+ on my phones since the HD2. There is some lag for sure when multitasking. I do use apps to contain all my apps. But even with little running apps this thing will become ugly fast. I still have my Note 5 sitting next to it as I upgraded and made the Note 7 exactly the same. The N5 did NOT have this much lag. I could get it to lag with lots of things going and little ram left, but it would recover nicely. The N7 at least on TMOUS stock will get an update and it should address it.

Hard Reset should fix most of the lag but I'm lazy and will wait for the update as it will clear the dalvik etc. Overall though I do like the phone, and glad to have the SD card back. I use my phone heavily for work and on the road. I use a lot of PDF's and office doc's and very little gaming.

I'm not new to phones, just search me up on XDA and you'll see I've been around as a DEV / MOD / WMobile / WPhone / Symbian etc.

I can't root anymore due to work and samsung pay....:( But I do use Package Disabler, SD Maid, 3C Toolbox Pro. I don't see much lag with Nova, only when I run several apps and switch back and forth. I even see it in the notifications dismiss (takes a sec or 2 to disappear).

Anyhow, I've seen this stuff before and 99% sure it will be fixed and perform better lag wise than the N5 with an update or 2.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
So i just transferred in from a iPhone 6+. This is not my first time on android though. I had a HTC M8 before getting the 6+ so i know what to expect.

I will say the Note 7 was very laggy for me just stock. I did some reboots but those didn't seem to help. i downloaded an app to disable some stock apps, AT&T, Facebook and a few others. Those SEEMED to help but the thing that really seemed to help was when i disabled Brief. I seemed to get much better responses after that. Also, i'm not sure but it seems every time i put on my S-View kickstand case from Samsung it slowed down my home screen again. i took it off and it was smooth again. Not sure but i'm returning the case anyway. Its not to my liking.

Anyway, i just wanted to toss up a few things that seemed to help me. Here are list of things i do and don't like.

1. S Pen is great. Jotting notes down is really cool. Love it.
2. The Note 7 itself feels wonderful to hold.
3. Samsung apps have improved over the S5 i tried after my HTC. I'm trying to use only stock items for now.
4. Fingerprint scanner is way faster then my 6+. I don't have a 6s+ to compare but the Note 7 is a huge jump up.
5. I don't like that the stock lock screen doesn't allow music widgets or something to control my podcasts with. Annoying really.
6. I wish badges worked on every app I needed.
7. If there was one thing iOS was good for, it was plenty of Task Management apps. I'm still looking for one. Todoist is close.
8. Chrome seems to load pages really slow but i was running 1Blocker on iOS with a few whitelisted sites. my N7 seems to load pretty slow. Any tips would help here.

I downloaded Samsung Music and put my podcasts in there. Works pretty well.
Samsung's browser is way faster than Chrome. Reminds me of mobile Safari aesthetically, which I prefer. I also use Crystal ad blocker on Samsung's browser. That's the same one I used on iOS.

Dimas de Leon

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
This is exactly my sentiment. My note 5 was way smoother than this note 7. I can compare them side by side side i have the note 5 to my wife to replace her note 4. The note 5 barely ever hitched when scrolling or moving from app to app the note 7 does almost every time. I'm not happy about it.

I too had the Note 5 previously and too realized my Note 7 was much laggier. When I first set it up, I selected to restore from Google. I factory reset it, this time setting it up as a new device and voila, the lag is gone. I actually think its smoother and faster now than my Note 5. I also turned animation off.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
If I get a Note 7, I will do a clean setup and not from any past restore. Is there a website on Google Play or elsewhere to make sure disables auto restore on new phone? Don't want to sign in to your google account at setup and all of a sudden starts downloading/installing apps.

I tried it a couple of times last time I owned an Android and always seemed to have bad performance and the way it restored seemed wonky and end up factory resetting and setting up as new.

Make me leary to try it when I went to iOS but I had some issue with phone and had to reset and tried the iclouds backup and have to say it works very well... as well as plugging in and doing an itunes restore. google needs to work on that.

I too had the Note 5 previously and too realized my Note 7 was much laggier. When I first set it up, I selected to restore from Google. I factory reset it, this time setting it up as a new device and voila, the lag is gone. I actually think its smoother and faster now than my Note 5. I also turned animation off.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
If I get a Note 7, I will do a clean setup and not from any past restore. Is there a website on Google Play or elsewhere to make sure disables auto restore on new phone? Don't want to sign in to your google account at setup and all of a sudden starts downloading/installing apps.

I tried it a couple of times last time I owned an Android and always seemed to have bad performance and the way it restored seemed wonky and end up factory resetting and setting up as new.

Make me leary to try it when I went to iOS but I had some issue with phone and had to reset and tried the iclouds backup and have to say it works very well... as well as plugging in and doing an itunes restore. google needs to work on that.

It restores different now. During first setup of the phone, you get a choice between setting up as a new device, or restore from your previous device. It's works out sometimes when restoring from a previous phones, but sometimes not. If you've been away from Android for a while, it may be better setting up as a new device.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol