Note 7 - This lag is unfreakingbelievable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Note7NJ

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
Please listen to Kelly. I did this and it sorted it out. Smart Switch and for that matter Google's own restore from device both install duplicate apps for a very small number of Samsung specific apps. I don't know why, and maybe this has nothing to do with it. But once I did the hard reset and set up from scratch, my lag disappeared as per the separate thread I posted, and it hasn't come back yet. I've sold my S7 Edge at this point. I'm comfortable that the reset and setting up from scratch sorted it out.

The only thing I did restore was the Nova Prime layout. But that's just a settings file.

Yes, please do this. I initially set up my note 7 with Smart Switch from note 5 and the note 7 phone went bonker with apps re-installing itself over and over again as well as being very laggy. I almost returned the note before deciding to set up the phone as brand new and re-install the apps that i want from Play Store.

All is well now, the phone is as smooth as can be. Definitely has something to with Smart Switch in my case

yomny Martinez

Nov 13, 2008
Visit site
Sadly, i just packed mine up today to return it. I cant stand the lag, it got really bad at one point during the day. It literally took at times, about 2.5 seconds from finger print unlock to open the phone and not because of errors, just good old lag. I can't believe this is happening but hey, anything's possible. The battery life has left me completely empty on several occasions before i get to my house at 7pm. Believe me I'm trying to be objective here and fair with the amount of use compared( I absolutely love the looks of this phone and most of its features). I know i can't compare battery life with one day of heavy use vs another of light.

I didn't do any smart switch, clean setup, currently on T-mobile. The signal also has been an issue, i get less reception in the same places i go through out the day than with any prior phones.

Things aren't horrible but not worth the $900 i spent, no way in hell.

rustypixel

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
​I was already not 100% into this phone 'cause of the curved screen (not my thing) but I went ahead and got it. I've been getting intermittent lag on and off and no matter how many times I reboot and clear cache and RAM and change any number of suggested settings there hasn't been anything that has helped. I use SwiftKey and it has, often enough, slowed to a damn crawl when typing fast. I don't have a live wallpaper running, I don't have a ton of apps (maybe 30 or so), I don't have the SD card installed yet (still waiting for delivery)​ and the N7 is set up exactly as my N5 was and the N5 ran perfectly smooth. So much so that the second I got a notification from ebay that it sold I almost shed a tear 'cause I was going to return my N7 and pull the N5 from ebay. However, that is no longer an option. I have read a lot of the posts on this thread and like a few here, I think that maybe Smart Switch might be something worth looking into. Prior to the N7 I had always set up my phones manually and I have never experienced the lag I have with this phone. So this weekend I plan to do a total and complete wipe of the phone and set up manually like I'm used to and I hope that it will clear up the issue along with other things I've noticed with this phone (Bluetooth stutter for about 40 seconds when first connecting and the need to sometimes have to tap the screen more than once to get my touch to register). Not sure if Verizon will help me out at this pint (I got the phone on the 19th) so I might just be "stuck" with this.

bmorgan67

Aug 31, 2016
Visit site
Former BB10 user - is this lag my Note 7 or all of Android

I made the switch from BlackBerry 10 to Android. Kicking and screaming I might add. BlackBerry 10 was buttery smooth, zero lag, zero crashes just very few apps and a dying ecosystem.

I thought I'd buy the best Android phone for my move to the new OS. I'm experiencing lots of lag, jittery screens and app crashes. My question is, is this Android or my phone specifically? I run the Hub app, Facebook, S-Planner and Excel and various other apps but those are my main ones.

Excel crashes after 10 minutes of use. S-Planner is slow and jittery. Hub is slow but it's not as bad as the others.

Is there an app that will tell me which apps are hogging memory or acting up or is just Android ?

BlackBerry 10 is dying but if this how it's going to be I'll have to switch back to it. Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Re: Former BB10 user - is this lag my Note 7 or all of Android

I made the switch from BlackBerry 10 to Android. Kicking and screaming I might add. BlackBerry 10 was buttery smooth, zero lag, zero crashes just very few apps and a dying ecosystem.

I thought I'd buy the best Android phone for my move to the new OS. I'm experiencing lots of lag, jittery screens and app crashes. My question is, is this Android or my phone specifically? I run the Hub app, Facebook, S-Planner and Excel and various other apps but those are my main ones.

Excel crashes after 10 minutes of use. S-Planner is slow and jittery. Hub is slow but it's not as bad as the others.

Is there an app that will tell me which apps are hogging memory or acting up or is just Android ?

BlackBerry 10 is dying but if this how it's going to be I'll have to switch back to it. Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

I would do a FDR and see if that helps. A Lot of people experienced the same thing but when they did the FDR it seemed to fix the issue

raziel

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but this is what I noticed about the lag...

If you are in an area with poor cell reception, the phone will lag. I think this is because the apps that might be running in the background such as Facebook, Twitter, Outlook, etc are trying to pull the data which makes the phone work hard.

If you are in an area with great cell reception or on Wifi, it runs great. Just my observations, I could be wrong.

crystinonfire

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
I just read a review of the Note 7 and the reviewer was really impressed with the performance. However, he did state that he did not use Smart Switch, rather, he downloaded all his previous apps manually. I have read this before too that this makes a big difference even though it obviously takes a lot of time and is inconvenient.

Can anyone else verify?

Mine started working a lot better after I reset a second time and did NOT use smart switch.

neil123456

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but this is what I noticed about the lag...

If you are in an area with poor cell reception, the phone will lag. I think this is because the apps that might be running in the background such as Facebook, Twitter, Outlook, etc are trying to pull the data which makes the phone work hard.

If you are in an area with great cell reception or on Wifi, it runs great. Just my observations, I could be wrong.

Is there any way to turn off background refresh like iOS is able to? Would this help the situation?

yomny Martinez

Nov 13, 2008
Visit site

I think this has its truth. I was under the same impression but didn't know how to explain it. Seems that the lag is mostly when signal isn't at its peak.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Is there any way to turn off background refresh like iOS is able to? Would this help the situation?

In the battery area you could customize the medium battery savings settings to turn off background data.

If you want to do it by app, go to the data usage area and scroll down. Find the app(s) you don't want to background sync and click on them and select "restrict background data".

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Have Y'all gone to settings and to device maintenance , and to battery and optimized it ?

I used smart switch
Haven't had any problems.

Fetid

Banned
Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
The most frustrating lag is in navigation. My position on the map will lag behind where I actually am. Only when I stop at the lights does it slowly catch-up.

Fetid

Banned
Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
Transfer setup. Will wait a while to see if there is an update. But will be doing a factory reset if the problem doesn't get resolved soon.

1213 1213

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Here is an update. I disabled briefing and my phone is definitely not as laggy as it was before

Its thanks to posts like this I don't think I'm going over the top by disabling everything I possibly can that I know I don't use. It's part of the ritual of getting a knew phone for me. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae