Note 7 - This lag is unfreakingbelievable

Status
Not open for further replies.

fwinst

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, the drama that unfolded right after this post may have drawn attention away from the substance of the speed test. I found the speed test... interesting. I'd be curious to learn how the SD820 version fares against the iP7 or iP7+. That will be pretty much a valid comparison for USA buyers.... like myself, currently in the market, but waiting on the Pixel line to come out before deciding.

And to be really challenging, a variant from each of the carriers with their skins and bloatware installed as it comes out of the box, to see if there's any performance difference between carrier N7s.

Then to really spice it up, toss in an unlocked N7 (should they ever become available... and maybe after the battery fiasco, unlocked N7s might be quicker to the market).

Basically, what this tells me is that the iPhone leaves EVERYTHING running in the background. While the Note 7 shuts apps down UNLESS you decide to multitask. So, iPhone will munch down battery uselessly, while the Note 7 attempts to use its power resources more efficiently. Personally, I never race through apps like the video. So I never seem to have to worry about this "issue".

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
The logistics would be nearly impossible to test all carrier variants. But you bring up something that is worth noting for this topic of lag... carrier bloat.

Bloat varies from carrier to carrier and seems up to them what they put on and probably up to them to test it and make sure it doesn't mess up the phone.... they probably just care if it crashes the phone and don't care for lags and stumbles and releases it. That's why there will be people here that say they don't experience the same lag because they are on different carriers with different bloat.

It really sucks to have to deal with bloat. I'm on AT&T so I really hate it cause it seems they are the worst with it. Samsung has as much clout as Apple at this point I would imagine. You don't really hear Samsung complaining... I think it's because they get a piece of the pie too. Companies like Amazon probably pay carriers to add their app to the bloat, carriers probably give a percentage to the manufacturers. Apple just sticks to their guns because they just don't want any part of it.

Unfortunately, the drama that unfolded right after this post may have drawn attention away from the substance of the speed test. I found the speed test... interesting. I'd be curious to learn how the SD820 version fares against the iP7 or iP7+. That will be pretty much a valid comparison for USA buyers.... like myself, currently in the market, but waiting on the Pixel line to come out before deciding.

And to be really challenging, a variant from each of the carriers with their skins and bloatware installed as it comes out of the box, to see if there's any performance difference between carrier N7s.

Then to really spice it up, toss in an unlocked N7 (should they ever become available... and maybe after the battery fiasco, unlocked N7s might be quicker to the market).

ScottJ28

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
This thread seems a control reference for future events. Even though people have a free ticket to go to another device- some are still complaining. Now, if stuck with the device, complain away! Otherwise, why not just move on instead of complain??

Because an $850 device should not act this way. Don't get me wrong, it's a great device, but the lag is sometimes intolerable. I have already moved onto another device, but still have the Note 7 and hoping something changes. Therefore, as long as I own the device, I feel I have every right to complain when there is a problem. These forums are not just for praising a device, nor are they for complaining all the time, but when there is a legitimate issue, it needs to be discussed. Now, if you don't have an issue with your Note 7, you need to check out of this topic and move on.

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site

Moderator Note
:

These posts are flat out false on the parts that address Android Central's forums; whatever you want to talk about on the Samsung stuff is up to you. You had a thread closed in which you told people that you wanted to keep a faulty device so that if something were to go wrong with it, you could pretend that you didn't know it was under recall so you could get a brand new device rather than going through normal insurance channels, etc. That thread was deleted because the content as advocating dishonesty - and dishonesty when paired with financial harm or gain creates a bad situation quickly. No one has told you that you cannot do whatever you're going to do, we have told you that we do not want that nonsense posted within the forums. There has been no persecution, no one is in on anything and the insinuation that unpaid volunteers are going to corrupt their position in order to defend a corporation from your words is flat out ridiculous.

On that note, you were recently sent links to the community rules & guidelines in several different private messages. I now know that you do in fact know what private messages are because you're sending inane threats to moderators via PM. In the most clear way I can make this request, please stop what you are doing, read the rules and make a decision about whether or not you intend to follow them. Because the messages you are sending to the team members and these posts in this thread, and the one you're complaining about having closed all have one thing in common: they're addressed by those exact rules that you keep ignoring. But just in case you've forgotten where to find them, here's another link: Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

As indicated in the messages sent to you by the moderators, if you have any issues at all with any moderator actions, you can email matt.luciano@mobilenations.com and james@mobilenations.com. That's the next step of escalation.

Funny how he made it sound like it was this thread that got deleted smh. And yeah samsung offering $2,000 in upgrade credits etc and then making stuff up about AC is hard to believe with out actual proof which he couldn't prove lol. And with the thread you talking about now if i was Samsung or AC yeah I would want that deleted to. Of course if i was Samsung I would try to figure out who he actually is so if something happened cause he pretended he didn't know what happened then they would have proof he did. Lol. But anyways. This is a site for members to talk like rational adults and get help with their issues. Not a site for drama false ridiculous accusations to stir the pot cause your post or thread got deleted.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I really wish carrier bloat was a thing of the past by now.

I agree fully. Would love to see more OEM's selling direct without carrier involvement at all - but one down side, for Samsung, the carrier phones have been getting monthly updates and the unlocked versions have not.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Guys , I have been persecuted by both Android Central and Samsung to remove this thread. I have been offered up to $2000 in upgrade credits and so forth. I told them to screw off and I make that amount in a few days being a physician and they can't simply buy my loyalty or lack thereof. If this post disappears, you know AC is in on it n

Dr. Smith...is that you? Whoa...this explains SO much about the last office visit, and especially the bill.

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
I agree fully. Would love to see more OEM's selling direct without carrier involvement at all - but one down side, for Samsung, the carrier phones have been getting monthly updates and the unlocked versions have not.

I find this disturbing. My understanding is that the update comes from Google to the mfg, then to the carrier before it passes to the user. It would seem to me that a carrier unlocked phone would cut out the step where the update would have to pass through the carrier before getting to the user. Ergo, I would expect updates to hit unlocked users earlier than those with carrier locked phones.

Have I misunderstood the process?

1213 1213

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
This is kinda sad. And somewhat related to the thread:

https://youtu.be/O98ZQgckhWw

The exynos seems to fare significantly better. I guess those in the US should hope Samsung optimises the US version better through updates.

Apparently Samsung is working on compatability with CDMA with exynos by 2018, so the US should get that, (along with a custom gpu for exynos, potentially partnered with AMD or NVidia). So there's always that to look forward to for the note 9, if it pans out.
Samsung wants to use AMD or Nvidia GPUs in its Exynos chipsets, plans to ditch Qualcomm for good in 2018 - GSMArena.com news

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I find this disturbing. My understanding is that the update comes from Google to the mfg, then to the carrier before it passes to the user. It would seem to me that a carrier unlocked phone would cut out the step where the update would have to pass through the carrier before getting to the user. Ergo, I would expect updates to hit unlocked users earlier than those with carrier locked phones.

You are Assuming right.

We only know what we hear.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMMVYJ3B6TE

The exynos seems to fare significantly better. I guess those in the US should hope Samsung optimises the US version better through updates.

Apparently Samsung is working on compatability with CDMA with exynos by 2018, so the US should get that, (along with a custom gpu for exynos, potentially partnered with AMD or NVidia). So there's always that to look forward to for the note 9, if it pans out.
Samsung wants to use AMD or Nvidia GPUs in its Exynos chipsets, plans to ditch Qualcomm for good in 2018 - GSMArena.com news

The AMD chips I used in computers in the past was slow.

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
You are Assuming right.

We only know what we hear.

Long lead times between updates is steering me towards the Pixel or iPhone. My experience with Samsung flagships is that they are soon forgotten when it comes time for OS and security updates. I had hoped that maybe an unlocked N7 might be a reasonable alternative. But again, if I'm going to pay iPhone prices for an Android, I better get Apple-esque support. I just don't see that happening yet.

For example: the good news is that the Note4 is now getting 6.0.1. The bad news is that the Note4 is only now getting 6.0.1 when Android 7.0 is out and 7.1 is just around the corner.

My 2013 flagship (AT&T) started out with some flavor of KK. It is currently on 5.0.1 Lollipop and I seriously doubt it will ever make it to 5.1.1. And my last security update is from November 2015.

For those few of us who actually keep the same phone for more than a year or two, longer term support is important.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

That's how I believed it was too, but it could be that the OEM is passing the update directly to the carrier to update and using the carrier's testing resources to make sure everything is good to go - while not expending additional testing resources on their own.

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
I'm finding it hard to reconcile my desire to stay current with OS and security in a timely manner and buy anything other than Pixel or Apple.

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
That's because that's true.

A funny thing in life I've noticed over my time here on planet Earth is that whatever seems to be driving my interests at any given point in time, seems to be driving others too. So maybe there's some sort of lemming effect in the ether out there.

Regardless, if this is indeed the case, then in the next few years, the only survivors of smartphone wars are going to be Apple (iPhone) and Google (Pixel). Unless the OEMs start making GPE phones again.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
A funny thing in life I've noticed over my time here on planet Earth is that whatever seems to be driving my interests at any given point in time, seems to be driving others too. So maybe there's some sort of lemming effect in the ether out there.

Regardless, if this is indeed the case, then in the next few years, the only survivors of smartphone wars are going to be Apple (iPhone) and Google (Pixel). Unless the OEMs start making GPE phones again.

They can also just step up their game. There have been promising signs from Samsung and Blackberry that show that it is possible to knock monthly updates out, though no one has shown progress on the new version front so far ever since Moto backed off the game.

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
They can also just step up their game. There have been promising signs from Samsung and Blackberry that show that it is possible to knock monthly updates out, though no one has shown progress on the new version front so far ever since Moto backed off the game.

If getting MM 6.0.1 (released December 2015) out to a Note4 in September 2016 is their idea of stepping up their game, then I must have an entirely different idea of what it means to step up their game. ;)

And the funny thing about OEMs releasing security updates is that apparently, unlocked devices aren't getting the updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze